Timing of getting license, signing for specialty pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2th Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm graduating and PCSing to Ft Hood this June. I'm curious how soon can we sign the annual contract for specialty pay, assuming we already have our license? Is it immediately during in processing? I'm debating on holding out until I'm on AD to apply for the fee waived license, but don't want to be held up on signing for specialty pay if I'm waiting weeks for my license to come in. I don't think saving $300 is worth waiting around for a month spinning my wheels. Could anyone chime in on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that 90 days from the day we start active duty at officer training, or 90 days from when we start in the dental clinic?

90 days from your first day of active duty, wherever that may be. Does not count any reserve ADT time.

I believe it's 90 days from your date of rank. Meaning if you sign your paperwork in May you'll be eligible for the bonus in August regardless of when you attend ODS.

Source: I just went through it

Reactions: 1 user
I believe it's 90 days from your date of rank. Meaning if you sign your paperwork in May you'll be eligible for the bonus in August regardless of when you attend ODS.

Source: I just went through it

But your date of rank doesn't start until you actually come onto Active Duty. You are not "officially" an O3 until you start your first day in the Army.

But your date of rank doesn't start until you actually come onto Active Duty. You are not "officially" an O3 until you start your first day in the Army.
Just to clarify, does going to army BOLC as an O3 in June count as first day of active duty? Or is it my report date to my first duty station, which is in August.

So can anyone confirm that this 90 day period is or is not applicable to Army? Is it DoD-wide or just a Navy thing?