Timing ILE/promtion and ETS/going to Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usma05

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to plan out my next steps and would appreciate some clarification if you've dealt with this or are knowledgeable on the subject. Currently, my ADSO expires 5/2022 and I'm due for BZ O5 board 2019 and IZ 05 2020 which would lead to BZ promotion 4/20 or IZ 4/21 I believe. I'm pretty sure I have no chance BZ. With how things are progressing, I'm fairly certain my plan is to ETS at the completion of my ADSO, but I'm strongly considering doing reserves afterwards since I could do an additional 4 years and get the reserves retirement (being a critical wartime specialty my 4 yrs HPSP would count after serving 4 years reserves). I'm hoping I can come out of AD being an 05 and transition to reserves after, but I also do not want to inadvertently extend my ADSO or delay my ETS. My questions are regarding timing of ILE and also effects of promotion near ETS time:

1. ILE incurs a 2 year ADSO per AR 350-100 2.6g. My understanding is this is concurrent with other ADSOs. Haven't heard back from recent board, but since I'm not part of the Army's Little Lebowski Urban Achievers contingent, I'm guessing my best bet is online correspondence course. When does the ADSO start...at the beginning or upon completion of the online course? What's the fastest someone has completed the course? If I decide to completely cut the cord and not do reserves afterwards, defeating the purpose/need of ILE and I already signed up for the correspondence course will I still have that ADSO if I do not complete the course? The way I'm looking at it I have 3 years and 6 months left, so that gives me some leeway to complete ILE and not extend getting out.

2. If I'm picked up in zone, I'd pin-on 05 4/2021 and ETS 5/2022. Also per AR 350-100 2-4, promotion doesn't incur an ADSO for LTC, but it does say to voluntarily retire in that grade I'd have to serve at least 3 years. The verbiage makes me think I'd have to stay 3 years if my goal was to draw an active duty O5 retire after promotion, but it shouldn't affect me if I just want to be promoted to 05 on AD and transition to reserves where I'd serve an additional 4 years. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

Thanks for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Forget all that, and do ILE SDL next summer. It, TASS, and ILE Distance Learning do not incur any ADSO. Contact Lisa Tomlin at HRC for more info.

2. Not exactly sure, but the hard part can be finding a job in the reserves for your MOS.

Thanks. Was unaware that those options did not have an ADSO. That makes that decision way easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only the residence versions incur ADSO. I actually verified this earlier today, randomly.

It sucks no matter how you do it, but the more interaction you have, the less lost and alone you feel when going through MDMP and other painful parts.

Only the residence versions incur ADSO. I actually verified this earlier today, randomly.

It sucks no matter how you do it, but the more interaction you have, the less lost and alone you feel when going through MDMP and other painful parts.

Yeah, I understand that sentiment....just looking at risk/benefit im not inclined to sign up for anything with an ADSO. TASS sounds nice, just getting local buy-in to let me do it or fund it (since its not centrally funded) has been a conversation non-starter here.

Essentially in the same position as usma05. It's not clear to me there is much value in ILE for the Reserves. Either of you happen to know promotion rates to O6 without ILE in Reserves?

Begs the question why there are three separate reserve options.

2. Not exactly sure, but the hard part can be finding a job in the reserves for your MOS.

Which is why APMC exists. No clue how to you get assigned to a unit when you transition from AD to Reserves. Probably too early to worry too much about it right now.

Cannot emphasize this enough. AMEDD, JAG and Chaplains are the weak links in ILE.

2. If I'm picked up in zone, I'd pin-on 05 4/2021 and ETS 5/2022. Also per AR 350-100 2-4, promotion doesn't incur an ADSO for LTC, but it does say to voluntarily retire in that grade I'd have to serve at least 3 years. The verbiage makes me think I'd have to stay 3 years if my goal was to draw an active duty O5 retire after promotion, but it shouldn't affect me if I just want to be promoted to 05 on AD and transition to reserves where I'd serve an additional 4 years. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

I think you are correct. I will warn you, after 4 years in the reserves as an 05, that little eagle starts to look obtainable. I think you could stay a couple of more years, make 06, then transition to a IRR slot to get your 3 years in grade, and then transition to Retired Reserves until 60. Nice thing is you can make that decision at the last minute, because who knows what your reserve experience will be like up to that point, and what mil med in the USAR will look like 2026.

Good luck!