Timing: Graduation, MCAT, Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted826437

Hey all, thanks in advance!

My Uni has an excess hours limit (132) and I have taken 110 of those already (Bio major, Chem minor, took some random international relations/French classes). I have 17 credits left to complete my major which sets me up to graduate this summer if I take a full course load (15 credits) this spring - Two semesters early for my projected Spring 2020 graduation. I plan on filling the time between undergrad and med school doing more research.

Here is the issue:

I have a job right now that I'm not interested in giving up (I get paid really well and It's good experience (I'm a medical case manager for underserved communities). I am also doing 10-15 hours/week in a lab on campus. If I keep up both of these commitments and take a full 15 credit course load I don't think I'll have time to give the MCAT the attention that I would like in order to prepare for a May test date. This would also mean that I could only take the test once to make the deadline (right?). Otherwise - I would have to essentially take two years off. Not ideal.

What if...

I took this spring off and just worked 20ish hours/wk, researched 15ish hours/wk, and studied for the MCAT, I could take the test at the beginning of the summer and have enough time to re-test if necessary. I would take a few classes over the summer then finish up the rest of my coursework in the Fall. In the spring I could do a research internship at a private research hospital nearby, then I'd graduate spring 2020. No time off, ample MCAT study time, extra money from working more hours, still get some fullish time research experience.

Thoughts? is it crazy to take a semester off during my coursework or is it reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you doing research for your app or because you're interested in it? How is your current research experience? Everyone and their brother I met on the interview trail who was in a gap year was doing research, if you could make that medical case manager job full time I think that would be a lot better. You'd make money, get better life experience, be more unique (huge IMO), not to mention other benefits like great PS and secondary essay material, stuff to talk about at interviews that you are truly passionate about.

If I was in your position that's what I would try to do.

To answer your other question, I'm not sure how it would look to adcoms, but personally I wouldn't want that big of a break. I would take next semesters classes, study over the summer, and graduate next fall. I don't think your idea is unreasonable, but I think it would just be easier not to have to explain gaps in education.

@Gilakend
Are you doing research for your app or because you're interested in it? How is your current research experience? Everyone and their brother I met on the interview trail who was in a gap year was doing research, if you could make that medical case manager job full time I think that would be a lot better. You'd make money, get better life experience, be more unique (huge IMO), not to mention other benefits like great PS and secondary essay material, stuff to talk about at interviews that you are truly passionate about.

If I was in your position that's what I would try to do.

To answer your other question, I'm not sure how it would look to adcoms, but personally I wouldn't want that big of a break. I would take next semesters classes, study over the summer, and graduate next fall. I don't think your idea is unreasonable, but I think it would just be easier not to have to explain gaps in education.

Thanks for the reply!

Here is the deal: I am currently doing research. I have been doing research for the past 5ish semesters (including summers) without breaks. I initially got into the research because I knew it was a prereq for med school, but I found that I really enjoy it and have been doing it ever since. I have considered doing an MD/PhD but I'm still working out whether I can give up a clinic centered career in exchange for a lab centered one.

My project is somewhat independent. I am the only one working on it but my PI pretty much dictates where it goes. I know it inside and out though. It should be published in the next couple of semesters.

The job I have right now as a medical case manager is funded by a grant that may very well not exist next year so I can't assume that it will be a full-time option for next year. I have it now and I have the ability to ramp up my hours (20/25/30) but funding will end in August.

I am not sure that I understand your advice completely.

My options are

1) Take a full course load right now, continue working 15 hrs/wk, continue research 15 hrs/wk. Then finish my last 6 credits over the summer and graduate while continuing work and research on a part-time basis. The problem with this plan is that I dont think it leaves me enough time to study for the MCAT and take the exam in May to apply this cycle. This would mean I would be out of school taking a gap for essentially 2 years even though I graduated 2 semesters early. I would study for and take the MCAT during this time.

2) Take the Spring semester off: Study for the MCAT, Work lots, research some. I think this would leave me ample time to study for the MCAT and take it up to two times if necessary. I would finish up my coursework over the summer and fall of 2019 and graduate at the end of fall. I'd still graduate a semester early and I would be able to go straight through without the 2ish gap years.

*I guess there is a third option where I manage to study for the MCAT during the Spring semester of 2019 then I take the MCAT in May 2019 but it seems like a risky option if I can't get the score that I want on the first try. I just think its going to be next to impossible to cram in an additional 20ish hours/week studying for the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Gilakend

Thanks for the reply!

Here is the deal: I am currently doing research. I have been doing research for the past 5ish semesters (including summers) without breaks. I initially got into the research because I knew it was a prereq for med school, but I found that I really enjoy it and have been doing it ever since. I have considered doing an MD/PhD but I'm still working out whether I can give up a clinic centered career in exchange for a lab centered one.

My project is somewhat independent. I am the only one working on it but my PI pretty much dictates where it goes. I know it inside and out though. It should be published in the next couple of semesters.

The job I have right now as a medical case manager is funded by a grant that may very well not exist next year so I can't assume that it will be a full-time option for next year. I have it now and I have the ability to ramp up my hours (20/25/30) but funding will end in August.

I am not sure that I understand your advice completely.

My options are

1) Take a full course load right now, continue working 15 hrs/wk, continue research 15 hrs/wk. Then finish my last 6 credits over the summer and graduate while continuing work and research on a part-time basis. The problem with this plan is that I dont think it leaves me enough time to study for the MCAT and take the exam in May to apply this cycle. This would mean I would be out of school taking a gap for essentially 2 years even though I graduated 2 semesters early. I would study for and take the MCAT during this time.

2) Take the Spring semester off: Study for the MCAT, Work lots, research some. I think this would leave me ample time to study for the MCAT and take it up to two times if necessary. I would finish up my coursework over the summer and fall of 2019 and graduate at the end of fall. I'd still graduate a semester early and I would be able to go straight through without the 2ish gap years.

*I guess there is a third option where I manage to study for the MCAT during the Spring semester of 2019 then I take the MCAT in May 2019 but it seems like a risky option if I can't get the score that I want on the first try. I just think its going to be next to impossible to cram in an additional 20ish hours/week studying for the mcat.

I guess I should ask how long you want to study for the MCAT, traditional recommendations is ~40 hours/week for 3 months. Most people recommend you study for it like a full time job. If you graduated in the summer you would have plenty of time to study and take before May.

I also can't stress enough trying to only take the exam once, I studied after my sophomore year (I had all my prereqs done) with the mentality "I have enough time to retake it" and I ended up retaking it. I should've went in with the mentality "I'm only doing this once". Between those options, I'd go with option 1 of finishing school, then studying. You should choose the option that gives you the most time to study for the MCAT. When you're studying, the time you need to study for the MCAT trumps everything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahah Thank you for working through this with me @Gilakend . I'm still not sure that were on the same page.

If I take classes in the spring (starts Monday and ends in late April), I will need to complete 6 credit hours over the summer and I will graduate at the end of the Summer (Late July/early August). I am talking about taking the MCAT this May, Ideally. The only way it seems feasible is if I take this spring semester off to study for it. I can work+research+Study 40hrs/wk for the whole semester if I don't have to worry about classes. That would give me the three months you're talking about. So instead, I would not take classes this semester and I would finish up classes over the Summer and Fall 2019 semesters but I would hypothetically be able to begin medical school in Fall 2020.

Otherwise, I take classes in the spring and summer then graduate in August of 2019. No time for MCAT between now and then. That would mean I could not even begin to apply until June of 2020 and if I get accepted, I will not begin medical school until September of 2021. I would be out of school for almost 2 years. Not a HORRIBLE thing but I would not prefer it if it wouldn't hurt me to take the spring 2019 semester off.

...unless I am confused?

@Gilakend Do you not think that the spring semester will be doable for studying for the MCAT + Work + Lab? Lab has quite a bit of down time (waiting for Western Blots Etc.) so lots of that time could be dual purpose. Work would be like 25 hours/wk over maybe three days. That would leave me with 4ish days to dedicate to studying and sprinkle in some lab work here and there. (7 Day work week cause why not)

@7.48Billion Ohhh, you are saying you'd like to apply this next cycle? As in apply in May 2019? I apologize, now I see where the confusion was. I must not have been reading thoroughly enough, my apologies!

In that case I would see what an adcom says about it, while I don't necessarily see a huge issue with taking this spring semester off, I can't be certain. Something to consider though is that if anything you plan on doing past May 2019 is substantial to your application, you may want to wait and apply May 2020 with the best possible application. Future activities listed on AMCAS hold little weight. However, if you're okay with your app as it is now and adcoms on here see no issue with you taking the spring semester off, that would be the quickest route to medical school.

While that option is quickest, I think the general consensus from people on the forum though would be to get your coursework, work experience, research and MCAT in with plenty of time for all of them and apply in May 2020. This would give you best possible app in my opinion.

Both options seem viable, it is more based on if you think you can accomplish all of those things in the short period of time. The last thing you want to do is not devote enough time to the MCAT and shoot yourself in the foot by having to retake in (*cough* me *cough*) and then not have your best possible app.

The adcoms here highly encourage people to NOT take summer courses.

The adcoms here highly encourage people to NOT take summer courses.
Well, Too late for that! I've taken summer courses every semester now. Being on campus for research, it made sense to go ahead and take classes while I was at it. Why is that their recommendation?

@7.48Billion Ohhh, you are saying you'd like to apply this next cycle? As in apply in May 2019? I apologize, now I see where the confusion was. I must not have been reading thoroughly enough, my apologies!

In that case I would see what an adcom says about it, while I don't necessarily see a huge issue with taking this spring semester off, I can't be certain. Something to consider though is that if anything you plan on doing past May 2019 is substantial to your application, you may want to wait and apply May 2020 with the best possible application. Future activities listed on AMCAS hold little weight. However, if you're okay with your app as it is now and adcoms on here see no issue with you taking the spring semester off, that would be the quickest route to medical school.

While that option is quickest, I think the general consensus from people on the forum though would be to get your coursework, work experience, research and MCAT in with plenty of time for all of them and apply in May 2020. This would give you best possible app in my opinion.

Both options seem viable, it is more based on if you think you can accomplish all of those things in the short period of time. The last thing you want to do is not devote enough time to the MCAT and shoot yourself in the foot by having to retake in (*cough* me *cough*) and then not have your best possible app.

Well, I think I'm pretty competitive as of now. I've got solid volunteering, leadership, work and research experience. My Gpa is hovering around 3.82 and if my MCAT is solid and I get this paper published, that should put me in a pretty good place, right?