Timing for choosing an Aussie school over a US school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamyourjesus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at the University of Southern California. I anticipate that I will have a 3.6 GPA science and overall leaving college and my MCAT score is 35. Last summer I spent a month in Australia and absolutely fell in love with the country. I'm pretty sure I can get into a US school,but something inside me says that 4 years in Australia might be the perfect decision for me. My question is when to apply to Australia? Do I wait until after my senior year of college, after I have applied to US schools? If this is the case, I will have to turn down US medical schools while I hope and pray that I can get into USyd or Melbourne or UQ. Instead, can I apply to an Aussie school this year and defer my acceptance for a year so I can know that I will be going and not have to risk a wasted year?

Neil

Members don't see this ad.

If you turn in your AMCAS in June and apply to lots of schools you will have at least one acceptance by December 1st when University of Sydney requires a deposit.

With your scores though you will have no trouble getting in to US schools so I would think carefully before going to Australia. On the other hand U of Syd has been around for over a hundred years so it is not like you won't get a great education!

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those schools.

USyd does allow for electives back home (i.e., LORs for residency), while UQ does not (or at least not in time for res apps), but none of the three have agreements with US uni's to help get you electives (as Flinders does).

On the other hand, while US electives help a bunch, they're not necessary to get a US residency.

-- If you add Flinders to your list..they have a rolling admissions.

-- UQ this year requires a large deposit by Nov. 14.

-pitman

Originally posted by iamyourjesus
I am a junior at the University of Southern California. I anticipate that I will have a 3.6 GPA science and overall leaving college and my MCAT score is 35. Last summer I spent a month in Australia and absolutely fell in love with the country. I'm pretty sure I can get into a US school,but something inside me says that 4 years in Australia might be the perfect decision for me. My question is when to apply to Australia? Do I wait until after my senior year of college, after I have applied to US schools? If this is the case, I will have to turn down US medical schools while I hope and pray that I can get into USyd or Melbourne or UQ. Instead, can I apply to an Aussie school this year and defer my acceptance for a year so I can know that I will be going and not have to risk a wasted year?

Neil

Have you really thought what it means to go to Australia? There has been a massive thread about this on this forum. It could mean you will limit your residency options or perhaps reduce your chances of getting back to the USA.

However...if you actually end up liking Australia the good news is that we are officially allowed to stay there now per the 422 visa.