Times hard, hader for minorities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anotherface

Needs to get off ***
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Economy Squeezes Minority Students

E-mail | Print | PDF

by Jessica M. Scully

The current economic crisis is taking a toll on many aspects of American life, including students’ ability to pay for college. According to several education experts, the toll may be even higher for students of color.

In a recent report published by the Chronicle of Higher Education, nearly half of colleges surveyed said the percentage of accepted students who actually attended decreased in 2008. Seventy-six percent of surveyed college admissions officers cited “changes in the financial situations of parents and/or students” as a factor in the decrease, and over 60 percent felt more students were attending community college instead. A decline in the value of homes was cited as a contributing factor to the decrease.

Admissions officers also said that students want more financial help. According to the report, more students than normal “have come to financial-aid offices this fall because they needed to work out new arrangements to pay their bills.”

Several education experts said that the situation will likely get more serious, particularly for students of color and lower income students, given that the economic downturn is far from finished.

J. D. Garcia, president of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), said the current economic situation could have two effects on students his group serves. First, the worsening economy may mean that a student’s family member loses a job, which requires the student to get a job instead of a graduate degree, he said. Because jobs are scarce, students may have to look for employment outside the science sector, “therefore deterring them from pursuing science degrees in the future.” The second effect could be the drying up of fellowships and scholarships available to support graduate studies. “It’s a double whammy,” he added.

The economic downturn may make it more difficult for universities with a high minority enrollment to help students financially. Teferi Tsegaye is a professor and chair of the natural resources and environmental sciences department at Alabama A&M University, a historically black institution. Lack of funds for students is “a major issue at the university level.” Tsegaye said his department is exhausting its internal resources to support students, and could enroll many more students if it had the funds to help them with scholarships. With the current economic climate, getting additional funds to support students will be difficult, he felt.

Like many other schools in the California State University system, California State University, Long Beach, has a large minority enrollment, and is classified as a minority-serving institution. Nicolas Valdivia, director of financial aid for the university, says in the first seven days of the year he’d seen double the number of financial aid applications compared with last year. He thought that this is partly due to changes in the federal application process, but also to the current economic situation.

“Because of the depth and breadth of the financial situation, I think [the economic downturn]’s going to hit all ethnicities and all socioeconomic groups in a very similar fashion,” he said. Valdivia noted the difference in how the economic situation affects minority and non-minority students could be due to income. Students from wealthier families have more leeway to handle financial troubles, while lower income groups don’t have that kind of cushion, he said.

Karl Smith is associate director of admissions at the University of Washington, as well as director of outreach and recruitment at the office of minority affairs at the university, where minority students make up about one-third of the student body. Smith said the university has seen a 39 percent increase in families receiving fee waivers for the upcoming academic year. He said that it’s not possible yet to tease out which of these come from students of color, but that with students of color, “We are fearful people may select themselves out of the process, because they’re fearful their parents can’t afford college.”

Smith added that many minority students’ parents may not have a four year degree, and may not have the background to help students navigate the process of getting funds for education. Students also hear much of the discussion from state governments about cutting funding for education and other programs, he said.

“I think if students hear those messages, they wonder directly how does that impact them” and may interpret what they hear or read about state budget cuts as meaning they can’t afford college.

This is sad. Unfortunately, I have a friends and family who have opted to go to a CC or not go to college altogether because of their financial situation. What's worse is that there is no way around this problem. If anything, these people need to figure out what to do in the meantime, so as to keep their options open once things start going their way.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nothing stop anyone (of color or not) from attending community college for the first two years, doing very well, getting a scholarship and transferring to a 4-year college with scholarship in hand. It certainly makes sense to save as much money as possible, do excellent work and take your time.

I came from an upper middle class family but did undergraduate, graduate and medical school totally on scholarship. My parents could have easily afforded to pay my way but I didn't want that. The only money I borrowed was for living expenses during medical school.

Getting high grades from secondary school (I was a National Merit Finalist) through college (Deans List scholar) and beyond makes good sense in these days of tight money. Rather than lament, get busy and decide from this day on, that you will be a good student and score the highest that you can score no matter what.

If you keep your grades as high as possible, you WILL get into medical school and you WILL get scholarship money. What you can't do is wring your hands and say that "things are bad" and "woe is me". Get busy and keep yourself on top one semester at a time. The economy will turn around and if it doesn't within your time frame, you still have the grades to get what you want even if you start in community college.

Nothing stop anyone (of color or not) from attending community college for the first two years, doing very well, getting a scholarship and transferring to a 4-year college with scholarship in hand. It certainly makes sense to save as much money as possible, do excellent work and take your time.

I came from an upper middle class family but did undergraduate, graduate and medical school totally on scholarship. My parents could have easily afforded to pay my way but I didn't want that. The only money I borrowed was for living expenses during medical school.

Getting high grades from secondary school (I was a National Merit Finalist) through college (Deans List scholar) and beyond makes good sense in these days of tight money. Rather than lament, get busy and decide from this day on, that you will be a good student and score the highest that you can score no matter what.

If you keep your grades as high as possible, you WILL get into medical school and you WILL get scholarship money. What you can't do is wring your hands and say that "things are bad" and "woe is me". Get busy and keep yourself on top one semester at a time. The economy will turn around and if it doesn't within your time frame, you still have the grades to get what you want even if you start in community college.
I've already been accepted into med school, but I am still waiting for a decent financial aid package. As much as I hate to say this, money is becoming a factor in my decision.

However, that is not why I posted this article. I posted this for two reasons. First, because this is evidence that many URM are disadvantage, and are severely limited. I feel that disadvantages should as those mentioned in the article should be taken into consideration during admission processes and when schools award financial aid. The other reason I posted is because I have been asked by friends if it would be ok to opt to go to a community college or take a year off to work. It seems like the answer to both of these is yes.

Members don't see this ad :)

I want to put my two cents on the bolded.

On the one hand I understand that you worked very hard in school. And therefore deserving of your scholarship. But, on the other hand I am bothered by it.

If money is of no concern and it can easily be paid out of pocket then why not have the scholarship for someone who is just as academically qualified but needs the financial assistance? Why should rich, or the more modest way of saying it..."upper middle class" people go to school for free? (I know that sounds bad to say. Because you are deserving and should reap reawards of hard work. But still...).

The first time this thought struck me was when I read an article about a young rapper who got a scholarship to play basketball. His name was Lil' Romeo. I believe this was one or two years ago. He could have just tried out for the team and made it. He didn't need a scholarship. His family is filthy rich. That really bothered me.

Dr. NJBMD's statement is well intentioned, pragmatic and uplifting in pertinence to the predicament of minorities in the present economy. Why sit around and loaf when all you need is a book and pen to acquire the world?

However, PeloraNegra raised a good point, and since we're talking about it, let's keep it real. We cannot disregard the three intersectional factors which play a major role in institutional oppression: Race, class, and gender (while in this case it is mainly race and class).

Dr. NJBMD, the academic success you enjoyed wasn't independent of your upper class status. Your parents' income probably gave you access to a good school system with a high graduation rate and teachers who cared; a neighborhood full of role models to emulate; a meal at the dinner table, safe surroundings for piece of mind, and the ability to focus on academics without having to get a full time job at the nearby McDonalds. Your upper class status was instrumental to the tenacious foundation on which you have built your house and thus it indirectly paid for your college tuition.

You are 100% right that hard work can pull someone out of the most dilapidating situations. However, as the article states, achieving such a feat can be a lot more difficult for minorities of lower class families since they most likely lack the foundation, and without the foundation on which to build, hard work may not always be enough. (especially in tough economic times)

The sad reality is that tough economic times only help to widen the dichotomy between the wealthy to upper middle class and the lower class. While those of the upper to upper middle class have the capabilities to get back in school and earn degrees, their lower class counter parts are struggling to keep food on the table. In essence, I think the discussion about the impacts of the bad economy is as much (if not more of) a class issue as it is a racial one and minorities are hit the hardest because they have a higher percentage of their populations in the lower class brackets.

Anotherface, tell your friends to consider themselves lucky they can even afford to go to CC. There are many that don't have that luxury.
If money is of no concern and it can easily be paid out of pocket then why not have the scholarship for someone who is just as academically qualified but needs the financial assistance? Why should rich, or the more modest way of saying it..."upper middle class" people go to school for free? (I know that sounds bad to say. Because you are deserving and should reap reawards of hard work. But still...).

Peralonegra, I understand your anger. This can also be related to the debate about affirmative action. In fact, this is a topic which affirmative action scholars have been debating for years. To what degree does the class factor negate the racial institutional oppression which makes affirmative action necessary? Does a lower class white child deserve to benefit more from affirmative action than an upper class member of a minority group? This is an intricate conundrum that has yet to be answered by the court.

Last edited:
I want to put my two cents on the bolded.

On the one hand I understand that you worked very hard in school. And therefore deserving of your scholarship. But, on the other hand I am bothered by it.

The first time this thought struck me was when I read an article about a young rapper who got a scholarship to play basketball. His name was Lil' Romeo. I believe this was one or two years ago. He could have just tried out for the team and made it. He didn't need a scholarship. His family is filthy rich. That really bothered me.

You raise several interesting & valid points. :thumbup:

My full-ride was a merit scholarship. It was open to any student with the grades. I earned every cent of my money and earned my medical degree. Just because my parents had money doesn't mean that I have to live off of them especially since I entered medical school at age 45. I took no financial support from my parents from age 15 on (I graduated from secondary school at age 15). My scholarships were based on what I did and were open to any student regardless of color or income.

I took nothing away from any person who could have had the same options as myself and earned the same grades as myself and I make no apologies for this. I had to do every problem, take every test and study every hour. It had nothing to do with my parents income but my willingness and ability to keep my grades high.

I stand by my statements in terms of harder times = harder work regardless of color. It's not going to be your color that saves that patient who is trying to die in the middle of the night but what you have learned and what you are able to do regardless of color.

I always extend a hand-back to those who come behind me but nothing on this earth will stop me from accepting something that I earned nor apologizing for the fact that I was born to two great parents who instilled a good work ethic and who came here from overseas to earn their income by hard work.

Dr. NJBMD’s statement is well intentioned, pragmatic and uplifting in pertinence to the predicament of minorities in the present economy. Why sit around and loaf when all you need is a book and pen to acquire the world?

However, PeloraNegra raised a good point, and since we’re talking about it, let’s keep it real. We cannot disregard the three intersectional factors which play a major role in institutional oppression: Race, class, and gender (while in this case it is mainly race and class).

Dr. NJBMD, the academic success you enjoyed wasn’t independent of your upper class status. Your parents’ income probably gave you access to a good school system with a high graduation rate and teachers who cared; a neighborhood full of role models to emulate; a meal at the dinner table, safe surroundings for piece of mind, and the ability to focus on academics without having to get a full time job at the nearby McDonalds. Your upper class status was instrumental to the tenacious foundation on which you have built your house and thus it indirectly paid for your college tuition.

You are 100% right that hard work can pull someone out of the most dilapidating situations. However, as the article states, achieving such a feat can be a lot more difficult for minorities of lower class families since they most likely lack the foundation, and without the foundation on which to build, hard work may not always be enough. (especially in tough economic times)

The sad reality is that tough economic times only help to widen the dichotomy between the wealthy to upper middle class and the lower class. While those of the upper to upper middle class have the capabilities to get back in school and earn degrees, their lower class counter parts are struggling to keep food on the table. In essence, I think the discussion about the impacts of the bad economy is as much (if not more of) a class issue as it is a racial one and minorities are hit the hardest because they have a higher percentage of their populations in the lower class brackets.

Anotherface, tell your friends to consider themselves lucky they can even afford to go to CC. There are many that don’t have that luxury.

Peralonegra, I understand your anger. This can also be related to the debate about affirmative action. In fact, this is a topic which affirmative action scholars have been debating for years. To what degree does the class factor negate the racial institutional oppression which makes affirmative action necessary? Does a lower class white child deserve to benefit more from affirmative action than an upper class member of a minority group? This is an intricate conundrum that has yet to be answered by the court.
PREACH. This forum is so much more thoughtful then pre-allo :thumbup:

My full-ride was a merit scholarship. It was open to any student with the grades. I earned every cent of my money and earned my medical degree. Just because my parents had money doesn't mean that I have to live off of them especially since I entered medical school at age 45. I took no financial support from my parents from age 15 on (I graduated from secondary school at age 15). My scholarships were based on what I did and were open to any student regardless of color or income.

I took nothing away from any person who could have had the same options as myself and earned the same grades as myself and I make no apologies for this. I had to do every problem, take every test and study every hour. It had nothing to do with my parents income but my willingness and ability to keep my grades high.

I stand by my statements in terms of harder times = harder work regardless of color. It's not going to be your color that saves that patient who is trying to die in the middle of the night but what you have learned and what you are able to do regardless of color.

I always extend a hand-back to those who come behind me but nothing on this earth will stop me from accepting something that I earned nor apologizing for the fact that I was born to two great parents who instilled a good work ethic and who came here from overseas to earn their income by hard work.
Maybe things were different back in the day, but I can honestly say that today, no matter how hard you work, scholarship money is definitely not guaranteed, especially not for medical school. I think that anyone who really wants to can go to college today, but that's mostly going to be based on loan money for most people, and the prospect of being in that much debt can be scary. Plus, your socioeconomic status and the hard wealth you have at your disposal, in my opinion, plays way too much of a role in medical school admissions, much more so than undergraduate admissions. Interview costs and application costs are ridiculous, and many schools will not see the community college coursework in as favorable a light as four-year college coursework. Obviously you should always work as hard as you can to get the best opportunities for yourself, but this is not a Horatio Alger story: sometimes even the hardworking good guy is going to have devastating setbacks.

Dr. NJBMD’s statement is well intentioned, pragmatic and uplifting in pertinence to the predicament of minorities in the present economy. Why sit around and loaf when all you need is a book and pen to acquire the world?

However, PeloraNegra raised a good point, and since we’re talking about it, let’s keep it real. We cannot disregard the three intersectional factors which play a major role in institutional oppression: Race, class, and gender (while in this case it is mainly race and class).

Dr. NJBMD, the academic success you enjoyed wasn’t independent of your upper class status. Your parents’ income probably gave you access to a good school system with a high graduation rate and teachers who cared; a neighborhood full of role models to emulate; a meal at the dinner table, safe surroundings for piece of mind, and the ability to focus on academics without having to get a full time job at the nearby McDonalds. Your upper class status was instrumental to the tenacious foundation on which you have built your house and thus it indirectly paid for your college tuition.

Anotherface, tell your friends to consider themselves lucky they can even afford to go to CC. There are many that don’t have that luxury.

Great post
Amen to that.

PREACH. This forum is so much more thoughtful then pre-allo :thumbup:
:laugh: