Timeline For Reversing a Myopic Shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My OD mentioned that by using reading/computer glasses I should be able to reverse the dramatic myopic shift I have seen over the last year as a result of extensive reading/studying/computer use, but he didn't say (and I forgot to ask) how long I should expect it to take if I am going to see any improvement.

Are there any general guidelines on how long it should take before one would start to see a reverse in a myopic shift if it is going to happen (assuming faithful use of one's glasses)?

If anyone doesn't want to answer directly, I would be happy if some links could be provided so I can educate myself on the topic. I wasn't very successful on digging up any useful resources on my own (probably because I'm not sure exactly what keywords to use).

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks. :D

Members don't see this ad.

My OD mentioned that by using reading/computer glasses I should be able to reverse the dramatic myopic shift I have seen over the last year as a result of extensive reading/studying/computer use, but he didn't say (and I forgot to ask) how long I should expect it to take if I am going to see any improvement.

Are there any general guidelines on how long it should take before one would start to see a reverse in a myopic shift if it is going to happen (assuming faithful use of one's glasses)?

If anyone doesn't want to answer directly, I would be happy if some links could be provided so I can educate myself on the topic. I wasn't very successful on digging up any useful resources on my own (probably because I'm not sure exactly what keywords to use).

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks. :D

As of right now I am not aware of any research that would suggest that you will be able to reverse a myopic shift through the use of reading glasses. There was at one point in time a suggestion that reading glasses might be able to reduce the progression of myopia in children. Studies on this subject though did not support this logical hypothesis. Neither underminusing nor the use of reading glasses seem to halt the progression of myopia. The only thing that I know of that has shown any results at all in slowing the progression in myopia is the use of Pirenzipine (a selective M1 antagonist) topical drops, and even this was quite limited. Atropine also showed a little bit of promise, but the side effects were so great that they by far outweighed the benefit. This of course,along with a way to cure presbyopia would be the holy grail of the eye care world.

Could it be pseudo-myopia...?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
How big of a myopic shift are we talking over what period of time? It's true that all that near work can play a part in myopia. Studies to prevent it seem to be rather inconclusive from what I hear, but, correct me if I'm wrong, seem to help sometimes but not always?? I wore bifocals since I was a kid for that very reason (+1 round segs). I actually got single vision for the first time ever a few months ago.

SCO people, we talked about this in one of Dr. Jackson's classes if you've had it.

This is the best article I could find on the net by just cruising around. It looks legit. The article says reading glasses/bifocals tended to help for esophores. (I remember it working well for certain people I just couldn't remember.)
http://www.i-see.org/prevent_myopia.html

Could it be pseudo-myopia...?:confused:
Could be. He just said myopia, but I suspect he meant pseudo-myopia induced by all the near vision work I have been doing. I don't know if a pseudo-myopia can become a true myopia, I would imagine this might be true in my case since I suspect this has been going on for about 3 years now, but the most significant part of the shift was in the last 9 months. It was my new OD that finally picked up on the fact that it was all my studying/computer use that was causing it.

This is the best article I could find on the net by just cruising around. It looks legit. The article says reading glasses/bifocals tended to help for esophores. (I remember it working well for certain people I just couldn't remember.)
http://www.i-see.org/prevent_myopia.html
An excellent article. Thanks for providing it. It mentions in the article that:
However, adherents of the close-work theory argue that myopia is caused and made worse by an excess of near focusing; thus, as minus diopter lenses intensify the dioptric demand on the eye, especially for near vision, they make myopia worse.

Does this mean that I should avoid wearing lenses that correct my distance vision if possible since it will just cause the myopia to get worse?

An excellent article. Thanks for providing it. It mentions in the article that:

Does this mean that I should avoid wearing lenses that correct my distance vision if possible since it will just cause the myopia to get worse?

For those who believe in myopic progression, it means cutting the myopic correction at distance by a 1/2-diopter or so to what's just tolerable, not cutting it altogether.

For those who believe in myopic progression, it means cutting the myopic correction at distance by a 1/2-diopter or so to what's just tolerable, not cutting it altogether.
Ah, well I'm glad that I'm sticking to my older script then since it isn't full strength.