Time to kill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jintonic5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's going to be around 2-3 years before i go to dental school. so while i'm taking classes/shadowing/volunteering, i'm going to need to get a job of some sort. for others that also took breaks in between college and applying to dental school, what have you done with that time?
dental related research? does it have to be dental related?
or any ol' job to pay the bills?

any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been in your situation, but I don't see why you wouldn't do something dental related; it can only help your application (unless you're in already under some early early decision plan?).

Do dental school labs sometimes hire lab techs who aren't dental students yet? If they did, that would be a good way to get your foot in the door at least, though it might not pay much.

Also, depends on how much you're qualified to make. If you can go out there somewhere and make a cool $80k per year as of now, maybe that would be the best choice!

Also more info on your situation would help, if you're comfortable with that...

Well here's exaclty what I'm doing...

I graduated in Dec 2003 from undergrad. I took a break from then until June and worked at my same job I've had since I started college ($9/hr). I also started shadowing a dentist (who happens to be my uncle :thumbup: ) one day a week, which I'm still doing. In June I started the Kaplan DAT prep course which I'm currently enrolled in. I am planning on taking the DAT for the first time next month, Aug. I will be enrolling in some additional undergrad classes this fall and spring. Those include biochem, microbiology, physics 2, anatomy and phys 2, and an organic chem retake. I'll then apply everywhere I can next summer. After I apply, I think my uncle will hire me as an assistant until I get my acceptance/decline. My GPA sucks, 2.5, so I gotta do WELL on the DAT and the classes I'm gonna take to get in anywhere

That's my plan, hope it gave you some ideas!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my jobs right now involves teaching anatomy, physiology, and pathology. It pays well, I love the subjects, and I feel that it's great prep for dental school because I'll have a good foundation in these subjects when I begin. It's one thing to know a topic, but an entirely different thing to actually teach it. You've got to really master the subject in order to make it come out of your mouth right, and in order to be able to answer questions about it.

So, teaching or becoming a teaching assistant for a health-related topic might be one route to consider.

Teaching/substitute teaching is a great idea.

I worked as an industrial chemist for a few years after graduation. Paid the bills.

This last year, I was a substitute teacher while studying for the DAT and applying. I also shadowed here and there

Personally, I would do what it takes to pay the bills and allow you enough flexibility to apply to D-school. You don't need any long term committments right now. Unfortunately, part-time work *usually* doesn't pay didly :thumbdown:

I've worked for 1 year so far, and will for one more hopefully as a research tech in a biomed lab. I pretty much do tissue culture all day. Our labs studies lots of dental related stuff such as osteoblast differentiation and how this effects implants. Its a pretty decent job.

Hah - the title of this thread can look fairly homicidal:

"Time to kill"
vs.
"Time to kill"

:laugh:

If I don't get accepted anywhere, I'll start another thread with this title, and it'll mean the other thing!! (j/k)

thank you all for your helpful advice :)

also, another thing i have to consider is that my gpa is a veritable mess.

do you think it's better for me to :

1. live off of loans for 2 years and get my academic record beefed up?

2. work and take classes part time for 2 years?

again, my gpa is pretty sad, but i'm new to this pre-dental thing, so i don't have a lot of experience inthe dental profession. i used to be pre-med, so i have some lab work and clinical research under my belt. i switched from pre-med because i liked the idea of working with my hands and having my own practice (more autonomy from hmo's).

jintonic5 said:
thank you all for your helpful advice :)

also, another thing i have to consider is that my gpa is a veritable mess.

do you think it's better for me to :

1. live off of loans for 2 years and get my academic record beefed up?

2. work and take classes part time for 2 years?

again, my gpa is pretty sad, but i'm new to this pre-dental thing, so i don't have a lot of experience inthe dental profession. i used to be pre-med, so i have some lab work and clinical research under my belt. i switched from pre-med because i liked the idea of working with my hands and having my own practice (more autonomy from hmo's).

If you tell us your GPA it might make is easier for us to give you some advise. Just give us a ball park figure (under 3.0, just above 3.0, almost 4.0 :) ) Anyway you get the point.

I would take out loans and get your GPA up.
Since once you are a dentist, you will be able to pay back those loans.
However, if you dont boost up your GPA, it is hard for you to get accepted.

Back to your original question:
I worked as a lab tech at a basic science research lab (not much dental related, even though i collected teeth from mice). And spent some time traveling. The salary definitely helped me to fund my application process and other expenses. And I didnt have the stress to skip classes/exams to go on interviews. Bottomline is do what you like. And if you choose to take a year off, be sure that you have a plan what you want to do. otherwise, you might just be "wasting" a valuable year of your life.

jintonic5 said:
:scared: below 3.0

Well if it is significantly lower than a 3.0 and your a JR or SR then i would take a loan out and start doing school full time and make sure you get an A in all or most of the classes. All you really need to do is bring your GPA up to a 3.1 - 3.2 to have a good shot (my gpa was 3.09). But don't forget about the DAT. If you want a guaranteed acceptance than shoot for a 23+ score. But with a gpa in the 3.1-3.2 range i think a 19 or 20 should be pretty competitive (assuming all the shadowing, volunteer, leadership position stuff is on your app). Lastly, there is a thread on here, its called the "under 3.0 club" you should check it out.

I worked as a chemist and enjoyed some traveling. Four years after undergrad, I finally feel ready to go back school=)

do welll in your classes and get good LORs. you will be fine :)