Time off for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say an IMG wants to match Ortho, desperately. Even to the point of taking an two extra years off for research to boost up his CV and rack up some publications. What sort of effect would this have on his application? I can see it going both ways: one, it would obviously be a benefit in terms of research experience and dedication to the field, and two, it could possibly be detrimental in terms of being far removed from clinical experience and being a not-so-fresh graduate.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Say an IMG wants to match Ortho, desperately. Even to the point of taking an two extra years off for research to boost up his CV and rack up some publications. What sort of effect would this have on his application? I can see it going both ways: one, it would obviously be a benefit in terms of research experience and dedication to the field, and two, it could possibly be detrimental in terms of being far removed from clinical experience and being a not-so-fresh graduate.

What do you guys think?

I think you are acutely aware of your dilemma as a FMG. No one here knows exactly what your situation is or how competitive an applicant you are in the first place. Research is usually considered a benefit, but it is not generally considered a good thing to be out of school for an extended period post-graduation. Every program will assess your situation differently. You are, most assuredly, fighting an uphill battle regardless.
Perhaps you would be better off doing ortho in the country you are currently in, and coming here for fellowships hoping to get a job afterwards. I know it is a long process, but it may be your only way.

Who knows? Certainly not anyone here.

Best of luck!