Time Frame for Commissioning Documents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilsonJing

WilsonJ
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have completed all the required paper work on April 29th. I was wondering how long does it take for commissioning documents to come through? Also do u get your bonus at the time u sign the documents? Could you get part of the bonus right away? I need it for housing, specifically security deposit.

Wilson

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
So I have completed all the required paper work on April 29th. I was wondering how long does it take for commissioning documents to come through? Also do u get your bonus at the time u sign the documents? Could you get part of the bonus right away? I need it for housing, specifically security deposit.

Wilson

Depends on what service you are. From previous posts (do a search) it sounds like the Navy pays a little different then the Army. You will not get any money (stipend or bonus) until school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with Navy HPSP, so here is my dilemma. I am starting school in LA but right now am working full time in SF. I want to get a studio apartment in graduate school. However, it cost about $1000ish a month. I already gave my leave at work, so my last day is July 2nd. By getting a place, I will be paying rent in LA and SF concurrently for about 2 month. This would work if the Navy would help me out with $2000ish so I can do this. So I am thinking about taking out a loan for the time being. I asked my recruiter about the time frame but he say he doesnt know, except it would happen before school starts. Just wondering for those that got the HPSP for this fall, about how long after all the paper work was complete did the commissioning docs / swear in process take, so I can plan accordingly.

I am with Navy HPSP, so here is my dilemma. I am starting school in LA but right now am working full time in SF. I want to get a studio apartment in graduate school. However, it cost about $1000ish a month. I already gave my leave at work, so my last day is July 2nd. By getting a place, I will be paying rent in LA and SF concurrently for about 2 month. This would work if the Navy would help me out with $2000ish so I can do this. So I am thinking about taking out a loan for the time being. I asked my recruiter about the time frame but he say he doesnt know, except it would happen before school starts. Just wondering for those that got the HPSP for this fall, about how long after all the paper work was complete did the commissioning docs / swear in process take, so I can plan accordingly.

I doubt you'll be able to get a personal loan with no job. If it's only a few thousand, ask your parents for the help and pay them back when you start school in August. For the Army, after you were approved, it takes another 1-2 weeks for the paperwork to be sent over. You can do your commissioning anytime afterwards. As for the bonus and stipend, you will probably receive it the 2nd week after school/orientation begins which is Sept 15. The bonus will come in 3 lump sums of 6k, 4k, 4k after tax

Last edited:
makushin hope that doesnt happen to me. Im going to USC. Im feel creepy just looking at the numbers. So should I fill out the fafsa just in case?

I'm telling you don't hold your breath for the Navy money. I didn't even get reimbursed for fall tuition until March. Yes, this means I had to use loans to start school. They can be very slow, but they will eventually pay, and once the money starts rolling in it's effortless.

Could this scenario arise with army HPSP as well?

After freaking out some about the money issue, I finally decided to call up my school's finanical adviser. I will be attending USC this fall. They told me the commissioning docs issue like I have described comes up a lot. There is actually a deferment program, with late commission docs as one of the reason a student would be allowed to use the defer. So that said, dental school would wait until the commission docs arrive so you are swore in as an officer and then proceed to charge for tuition. I just wanted to give everyone more information on this because from the number of PMs that were sent to me it seems a lot of people are in the same boat. Also it is typical for commission docs to take a while. I have been waiting for close to a month and half now.