Time between receiving your DPT and first FT job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris J

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is, after your completion of a DPT or MPT program, do employers consider recent graduates qualified for a full time position? Or do graduates have to gain more experience through internships in order to compete in the job market? I realize that this varies from employer to employer, but i just wanted to get a feeling, on average, how long would it take for me to be a full-time salaried PT after receiving a DPT or MPT. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been through the whole process yet but I believe a lot of jobs will say that they are accepting or even looking for new graduates and other jobs will say they want a few years experience. With a new graduate they generally offer lower pay but the guidance of an experienced staff, which I would definitely prefer for my first year of 2 on the job.

From the schools that I've look at the graduating students have jobs pretty fast after graduation.

This really does vary from place to place. However, there is such a surplus of jobs for PTs that there should be no problem finding one right away. Only problem is finding the perfect one for you! Many of my classmates got jobs at places they interned at. Some waited until they took the boards. All found jobs. I think once you actively start looking for a job, it won't take too long for one to make a job offer.

You should pick your clinicals wisely as many of them will hire you over the next applicant because you have trained with them and know their system.

I was hired with about 1 month left in my final clinical...and Not even at a place where I trained at.

Like the others have stated. It depends on your location and other factors, but some of my friends who graduated recently (past 3 years) have received job offers within a few months of graduating. I don't think you will have a hard time finding a job right now. It is just a matter of where you want to work and what you want to specialize in.