tick tock tick tock...interviews...where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anatomyaddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else EXTREMELY nervous about not hearing from programs yet?
is this fairly typical or should I just assume the offers are not coming since most don't send out rejection notices?
don't mean to add to people's panic but I'm really not getting any sense of the timeline here!

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone in the anxiety over all of this. So, I have found that the only thing that has put my mind at ease is to visit the interview/rejection link from last year. Once you read it, you'll see that the bulk of invitations really don't come out until October...some even late October, and even into November. It may be worth it to follow this link, go to the very last page, and then you'll see the date that each program sent its interview invite last year. This can give some sense of an estimate of when things will happen this year.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=761972

anyone else EXTREMELY nervous about not hearing from programs yet?
is this fairly typical or should I just assume the offers are not coming since most don't send out rejection notices?
don't mean to add to people's panic but I'm really not getting any sense of the timeline here!

Bugging me too. Looking at last years thread, like suggested above, helps. Although some schools that offered interview invites by this time last year (UC Irvine, Florida Gainesville) have still not offered them (as far as I know).

Driving me nuts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah this wait is pretty brutal. Here's to hoping for a good week

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way, it def seems like forever. Looking forward to more action in October!

I understand that most interviews will be sent out in October, but the silence so far (with the little amount of action in the other thread) is killing me.

Oy, definitely starting to feel anxious. Looking at which schools have offered interviews, I'm 2 for 8 so far. And here I thought I was "competitive." This is definitely a humbling process. :(

Well, I'll try to stay optimistic- it's still early, right? Here's hoping this week will bring many happy emails to us all!

Oy, definitely starting to feel anxious. Looking at which schools have offered interviews, I'm 2 for 8 so far. And here I thought I was "competitive." This is definitely a humbling process. :(

Well, I'll try to stay optimistic- it's still early, right? Here's hoping this week will bring many happy emails to us all!
I know! This is absolutely killing me.. In the same boat. Def thought I was competitive....but I'm def freaking out......Any others????

Yes- somewhat disillusioned with with this whole process. I really thought I'd have heard back from more programs by now...

Yes- somewhat disillusioned with with this whole process. I really thought I'd have heard back from more programs by now...

I'm in kind of a weird position. I submitted my application late, so I missed out on the first wave of many schools.

I've only gotten one interview so far, but it was at UAB, which is considered one of the top programs in the South. So I'm a little confused. My scores are respectable, but not ultra-competitive.

I called a lot of programs today and the majority of them still havent sent out interview offers.....Likewise, My app was loaded kind of late....I'm hoping the rest of this week and October in general is better. From my understanding, this is the month (even beginning of nov) where things begin to pick up. But it is frustrating sitting waiting wishing.

Another day of silence... Well, I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not going through this alone. Thanks for posting that info, Myoclonic. I guess we all just need to be a bit more patient. My goal for tomorrow: stop checking my phone for emails every 5 minutes. Maybe every 10 minutes, though.... :p

Another day of silence... Well, I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not going through this alone. Thanks for posting that info, Myoclonic. I guess we all just need to be a bit more patient. My goal for tomorrow: stop checking my phone for emails every 5 minutes. Maybe every 10 minutes, though.... :p
haha. same here! It's ridiculous...I refresh my email account compulsively! It's sad....and it's always an interview to a TY or prelim program I'm receiving versus Ophth. ugh! Don't get me wrong, those are important too but...ya know...i'd rather see at least ONE ophth. interview offer. jeez.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will work itself out! Lots of programs sent out interview invites later in October according to last year's thread.

Trying to build you all up with a confidence I don't necessarily feel... :rolleyes:

This process is a crapshoot.. getting pretty anxious.. should have applied to medicine where the interviews would be rolling in (joke).. Here's hoping to (another) good week

The checking the interview invite thread is getting so bad that I'm literally doing it in my sleep. I'll semi wake up from my nap and think "oh crap! the interview thread!" and I will check it on my phone and then I'll go back to sleep.

October is going to be a long month :laugh:

baaaahahahaha likewise ! My head is gonna explode.....but about the thread..i actually called U Miss bc i was like NO WAY.....and according to them they havent sent out any interviews and will do so specifically This friday or Next monday... so I'm like hmmmmm

"On Oct 3, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Fay Beach <[email protected]> wrote:
The Department of Ophthalmology would like to invite you to come interview with us for our Ophthalmology residency training program. Our interview dates are November 19, 2011 and December 10, 2011. Please let me know which date would be convenient for you. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks."

I do have connections at the program, so that might explain the early interview.

Another quiet week for me. I'm happy for the two interviews I have but I would feel much more comfortable with a few more. I just don't get how they decide who to extend invites to. It's either a totally arbitrary process or I'm much less competitive then I previously thought.

Another quiet week for me. I'm happy for the two interviews I have but I would feel much more comfortable with a few more. I just don't get how they decide who to extend invites to. It's either a totally arbitrary process or I'm much less competitive then I previously thought.

Feel the exact same way. This is so terribly nerve-wrecking..

Man I was hoping that the weekends would be a safe time where I wouldn't have to worry about checking my phone/email/invite thread but that appears not to be the case.

Super :(

I have a feeling this week will be promising... here's for some wishful thinking

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from UT-San Antonio yet. They sent out invites a lot earlier last year.

Any1 still only sitting with 3-5 interviews (or fewer) for this cycle when they expected more? Many schools have sent out interviews and I am starting to get worried.. Yikes

Any1 still only sitting with 3-5 interviews (or fewer) for this cycle when they expected more? Many schools have sent out interviews and I am starting to get worried.. Yikes

I only have 3 so far, but I have not yet heard from my home program, another local program, and a lot of my top choices haven't sent invites out yet. I only applied to schools in the South though.

Yeah same here. A lot of schools have not sent out invites yet though. The ones i checked on specifically were Vandy, MUSC and some NY schools. But, overall, I think the thread thus far is pretty accurate. I don't think it's time to freak out yet. I think the next three maybe four weeks things will really start moving with programs finally sending out initial interviews that have not done so yet and also cancellations opening up spots.

Jerks keep taking the good interview dates in the first 10 minutes. Right around November 18 is getting very messy...

More spots will definitely be opening up soon.

Jerks keep taking the good interview dates in the first 10 minutes. Right around November 18 is getting very messy...

Why do I get the feeling that the bulk of the interview are already sent out and that I shouldnt expect too many more? Anyone have any info as to whether there is going to be another storm of interviews?

November 18th needs to die.

It's official...I can pretty much kiss an ophtho career goodbye :(

It's possible that this is the case. But keep in mind, the frequent posters on here tend to be a very skewed group. The people bragging about having tons of interviews may not be representative.

Talk to the advisers at your school to size up how you are doing.

Good luck to you.

It's official...I can pretty much kiss an ophtho career goodbye :(
I think it's best to stay off this site.

You mean your life isn't so terrible that you have like 28 interviews on the same day and need to create obnoxious threads like "omg, where should i interview? harvard? wilmer? bascom? please decide for me!!!!"?

You really don't know how fortunate you are!

/bitterness lol

I have exactly 0 interview offers so far, not even from ones I consider the least competitive. After today I really don't know what to do. I don't like any other specialty nearly as much as I do ophtho.

I'd be interested to know how many interviews an "average" candidate should have at this point. Can anyone with the appropriate insight provide an answer?

I have exactly 0 interview offers so far, not even from ones I consider the least competitive. After today I really don't know what to do. I don't like any other specialty nearly as much as I do ophtho.
hang in there.. i'm sure there will be a lot of movement in the next few weeks...

How many programs did you apply to?

I'd be interested to know how many interviews an "average" candidate should have at this point. Can anyone with the appropriate insight provide an answer?

What would most consider average?

My logic is this, I'll use an example. Schools A,B, and C, in any given geographical area (SE, West Coast, etc), all get applications from more or less the same 300 or so people. I would assume that the same students are rising to the top of all of A,B, C's applicant wish list. This means that the same people are getting invited to all of the interviews in a given region. Eventually these people will have to give up certain dates at "lower tier" schools because of travel constraints and what not. When that time comes most average applicants will begin to get interviews. Don't forget, AAO is this weekend, so programs are busy/PDs are out of town. Also, some schools wait until the dean's letters to come out. All and all it is nerve racking but you have to stay patient.

Last edited: