TI-89 Titanium

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just invested almost 200 dollars into a new TI-89 Titanium. Mainly because I am probably taking pre-calc/Calc I over the summer so I figured it was good to have.

But my question is, do most professors let you use a calculator?

I have heard mixed opinions but everyone in pre calc and AP has one of these and so does my cousin and he just finished Calc III and he said the professors don't care. He said that most people have calculators.

Also, can you use it on the ACT?

You can use it on the SAT I and on the AP exams I know.

Feel free to discuss.

This thing really does do everything :D. Love it!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh well. At least I can use it on the SAT and the AP exams.

I still have my old TI-84 Plus which IS allowed for use on the ACT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Expensive calculator !

Last edited:
Two hundred? Holy crap! What do you need all that nonsense for? I have a TI-83, $15 on eBay, that got me through my college calculus course. Holy crap.

Okay. Anyway.

It's dependent on the prof, whether or not you're allowed to use calculators. You're allowed to use one on the ACT, although not the TI-89.

Two hundred? Holy crap! What do you need all that nonsense for? I have a TI-83, $15 on eBay, that got me through my college calculus course. Holy crap.

Okay. Anyway.

It's dependent on the prof, whether or not you're allowed to use calculators. You're allowed to use one on the ACT, although not the TI-89.

I have a TI-83 too. It works well for me so far.

So, what's the difference between TI-83 and TI-89 ? Are there any significant functions on the TI-89 ?

The TI-89 is OMFG I'M GOING TO CREAM MYSELF amazing. For high school level its useless over the TI-83. For engineering majors it is nothing short of a godsend.

Best feature: Iterative solving. Solving really long ass (see cubic equations of state in thermodynamics) equations which have variables on both sides of the equation that are impossible to solve algebraically.

Peng Robinson Equation of State said:
62b474e455d2ae04f23d88554150c5f8.png
be5adff643199af0dc68e4e241bce912.png
d5a73636f3315767775a3a4f28895edc.png
08c82cc8aa5fdde33eb14682b6626be9.png
09145119a6b6e8362abb547b85750ab9.png

Solve for Tc and enjoy.

This video shows that the calculator shows step by step solution.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIajGE8cztc[/YOUTUBE]

I have a TI-83 too. It works well for me so far.

So, what's the difference between TI-83 and TI-89 ? Are there any significant functions on the TI-89 ?

I have a TI-89 and I've found it particularly useful for statistics, calc, and physics. My Calc I professor actually recommended it for his class. The 83 and 89 have some of the same functions but IMO the 89's display makes it easier to use and the apps help you solve multistep problems in fewer steps and keystrokes than the 83. You have to flip through the manual from time to time but once you get the hang of it you're good to go.

In high school, you'll probably be fine with just a TI-83+ or a TI-84, even for calculus. After three years of bioengineering though, my TI-89 Titanium has definitely paid off. Solver is awesome and so is the integrating/differentiating. If there was a ginormous fire, I would definitely save the calculator.

I know a friend who got one of those new TI Nspires. It's definitely much more modern than the TI-89, but still has a bunch of tweaks to work out.

By far the TI-89 is the best available and it's been tested out much more than any other classes.

As for that impossible question that I just saw, I'm not even going to go anywhere near that level of math. Up to Calc III and Diff eq. at most for me :)

So I just invested almost 200 dollars into a new TI-89 Titanium. Mainly because I am probably taking pre-calc/Calc I over the summer so I figured it was good to have.

This thing really does do everything :D. Love it!

I LOVE THAT CALCULATOR!!!!!!!!!

I, however, have a regular TI-89, but I got it for a mere $25 with manual.

Great calculator, you will love it even more once you take calculus (it differentiates and integrates functions for you, as well as solve simple differential equations!)

As for professors, it depends. My professors (I'm a college senior now) all allowed it, but required the work for the problems be shown, so the calculator more/less was used for checking the answers, not necessarily solving them. But in later classes, where you may not be tested on doing things by hand, but by using what you acquired in earlier steps, this calculator sure speeds things up.

I hear, do confirm this prior to following it, that this calculator is allowed on the AP Calc test.

I'm a college sophomore, but at least at my university (a top 20 if it matters), calculators are explicitly not allowed for calculus courses. It's all done by hand (you don't really need a calculator for calculus)

However, for courses like chemistry and physics, the ti-89 titanium is amazing on exams compared to other graphing calculators if you know how to leverage its advanced functions. But in reality, outside of exams, I just use wolfram alpha online or something like mathematica for very complicated problems. Even the ti-89 titanium is painstakingly slow for anything remotely advanced, and not all that accurate either (it chokes on tons of chemistry and physics problems with extreme precision or number magnitudes). The money I paid for the calculator is worth it solely because of how much faster I could solve equations on chem exams, though.

Also, $200 is a rip off for an 89 titanium.

Last edited:
wow titanium 200? i bought it for 150...and ijust saw it in the store
the other day for like 140...look online because your places are a rip off.

I have the TI Titanium. It is simply exquisite! I don't want to say it was the reason I did so well in calculus...but it totally was. You will become reliant on it though. It does everything for you, and you get use to it. I had to relearn many simple things for the no calculator tests. Don't try to use it on the ACT...I've tried, it ends up badly(I would of made a 36 with it :).

I'm a college sophomore, but at least at my university (a top 20 if it matters), calculators are explicitly not allowed for calculus courses. It's all done by hand (you don't really need a calculator for calculus)

However, for courses like chemistry and physics, the ti-89 titanium is amazing on exams compared to other graphing calculators if you know how to leverage its advanced functions. But in reality, outside of exams, I just use wolfram alpha online or something like mathematica for very complicated problems. Even the ti-89 titanium is painstakingly slow for anything remotely advanced

Also, $200 is a rip off for an 89 titanium.

Same situation here (top 10 school for engineering) calculators are not allowed on math tests, but are on other exams for other classes, depending on the professor (took physics and chem at the community college so i cannot comment)

Mathematica and Matlab are faster and more powerful than the TI-89 for sure, but when you are in the library, the TI-89 is easier to use than the laptop, especially if you want to get used to it for exams.

My community college profs were the ones I was referring to earlier; the ones that let you use it, but required DETAILED work, such that you still had to know the stuff in and out.

As for pricing, craigslist and/or eBay seem to be the places to go.

THIS CALCULATOR WILL SPOIL YOU!!!

As someone mentioned earlier, after using this calculator and taking advantage of its numerous functions YOU WILL BECOME SPOILED.

I got my TI-89 in Spring 2008, and used it throughout until Spring 2009 when I had my first class that strictly did not allow calculators OR notes sheets...so here I was doing hardcore calculus-related computations (Fourier series, Fourier transforms) without my beloved TI-89...needless to say, that was a rough transition.

Take it from a college senior; you have been warned

Don't try to use it on the ACT...I've tried, it ends up badly(I would of made a 36 with it :).

The thing a lot of people don't think about - the ACT math is designed to be taken without a calculator at all. So if you run into a problem that you grab your calculator for anything more than addition and multiplication, you are doing it wrong and should rethink your approach. When I took the ACT a few years ago, I barely touched the calculator and got a perfect math score. Not that I'm particularly good at math, it's just that it's all basic algebra that is solvable by hand. Relying on a calculator as a crutch hurts you more than it helps. The same applies for the SAT.