Thread for Worrywarts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one cringing whenever I see someone get an interview from a place I haven't heard from yet. Since we should reserve the interview thread for interviews, we need a thread for worrying.

Okay, I applied to a LOT of places, a LOT. Yet I still haven't heard from 25 of them. It sucks not knowing whether I'm being rejected, or whether they just haven't gotten around to inviting me.

I'm thinking that I'll have to submit more applications if I haven't gotten a few more interviews by the week after the Dean's Letter is submitted to programs.

I'm wondering if I really screwed up with my personal statement. I think I know why I'm not getting more interviews, and I didn't address this problem in my PS. This might turn around and bite me in the butt.

Btw, I am a worrywart in all aspects of my life, so please don't assume that you should start worrying if you haven't gotten a lot of interviews. This is just how I am, lol...

Members don't see this ad.

stormjen said:
I can't be the only one cringing whenever I see someone get an interview from a place I haven't heard from yet. Since we should reserve the interview thread for interviews, we need a thread for worrying.

Okay, I applied to a LOT of places, a LOT. Yet I still haven't heard from 25 of them. It sucks not knowing whether I'm being rejected, or whether they just haven't gotten around to inviting me.

I'm thinking that I'll have to submit more applications if I haven't gotten a few more interviews by the week after the Dean's Letter is submitted to programs.

I'm wondering if I really screwed up with my personal statement. I think I know why I'm not getting more interviews, and I didn't address this problem in my PS. This might turn around and bite me in the butt.

Btw, I am a worrywart in all aspects of my life, so please don't assume that you should start worrying if you haven't gotten a lot of interviews. This is just how I am, lol...

I am the same way. I can't stand it when I have no control over important issues that are going to affect the rest of my life. But.. what are you going to do? I figure I will have this feeling until March.

You're not the only one, believe me. In fact, I think it was a post of yours that made me start panicking...something to the effect of trying to match with only four interviews. ;) At that point I had none!! :p I now have several, but the letters are trickling in at what seems a snail's pace, barely a step ahead of my panic. I watched a close friend of mine (a strong applicant from a top school) go through the nightmare of not matching, so I suppose that experience adds fuel to the fire. Of course that was in one of the notoriously competetive specialties. But still the paranoia kicks in--what if I said something *****ic in my PS? What if I'm completely overestimating my competetiveness as an applicant? What if one of my LORs is mediocre? Argh! I remind myself that we still have plenty of time, and that a burst of invites will probably go out after Nov. 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
As pointed out, the interview thread very easily fuels the worry/panic. In this way, I'm glad that this site did not exist (or at least I didn't know about it) when I was applying. The programs are still actively inviting people, and some programs get through the apps faster than others. I would guess it might have to do with when you applied plus how much you've submitted so far plus some really arbitrary factors.

cytoborg said:
You're not the only one, believe me. In fact, I think it was a post of yours that made me start panicking...something to the effect of trying to match with only four interviews. ;) At that point I had none!! :p I now have several, but the letters are trickling in at what seems a snail's pace, barely a step ahead of my panic. I watched a close friend of mine (a strong applicant from a top school) go through the nightmare of not matching, so I suppose that experience adds fuel to the fire. Of course that was in one of the notoriously competetive specialties. But still the paranoia kicks in--what if I said something *****ic in my PS? What if I'm completely overestimating my competetiveness as an applicant? What if one of my LORs is mediocre? Argh! I remind myself that we still have plenty of time, and that a burst of invites will probably go out after Nov. 1.

Yeah I know that I really shouldn't worry so much, and NYC has three extremely strong programs. However, I still find it worrisome since pathology programs only offer like 4-6 spots a year. It makes it kinda hard to match at top notch programs. I think I will feel better once I interview at Einstein, cuz I hear it is probably the best program after Cornell, Mt. Sinai, and Columbia. So.. if I really like it I will feel better about the possibilities of where I will end up. I'm AOA at my school, but most of the applicants for these programs are also going to probably be AOA and probably from there own institution. It really sucks when you confine yourself to one geographic region, but I made my bed and now I'll have to sleep in it.

Zoloft said:
Yeah I know that I really shouldn't worry so much, and NYC has three extremely strong programs. However, I still find it worrisome since pathology programs only offer like 4-6 spots a year. It makes it kinda hard to match at top notch programs. I think I will feel better once I interview at Einstein, cuz I hear it is probably the best program after Cornell, Mt. Sinai, and Columbia. So.. if I really like it I will feel better about the possibilities of where I will end up. I'm AOA at my school, but most of the applicants for these programs are also going to probably be AOA and probably from there own institution. It really sucks when you confine yourself to one geographic region, but I made my bed and now I'll have to sleep in it.

If you are AOA, you will have no problem getting interviews at these places. NYC is competitive, but nobody is going to refuse you an interview. Yes the programs you listed are competitive, but if you interview well you will have no problem. I've been told that 9 out of 11 spots at Columbia have been filled with Columbia medical students for the last two years, so I don't think they will keep up the same routine. It looks kinda bad to inbreed like that. Cornell and Mt. Sinai both have a good mix of US grads from all over the country, and not all of them are AOA. I wouldn't fuss. You have an extremely good chance, but you have to interview well. It's that simple.

Inbreeding...hmmm an interesting phenomenon. Some programs deliberately avoid filling their program with local applicants. Often they will take one or two.

Stormjen I think your personal statement is fine (with the corrections!)

I know it is easy to worry, but truly it is still early and things are far from being decided.

In regards to AOA, I am honestly not sure how much AOA matters in path. Obviously it can't hurt. But I think that board scores are probably a bit more important and are looked at first.

I know how you all feel though - not having control over it all stinks. But all you can do is trust yourself and do the best you can. You have done what you can in submitting your application, and when you go on the interview you will have your next task.

Should you start submitting applications to more programs? I don't think just yet - before you do that I would make sure you are not getting interviews from the places you already applied. Programs don't really like being considered your backup choices...

stormjen said:
we need a thread for worrying.
Zoloft said:
I can't stand it when I have no control over important issues that are going to affect the rest of my life.
Couldn't agree more. It helps to have an outlet for let's-think-aloud-the-worst-case-scenarios. I have officially been labelled "second tier" by a program. Grrrreat. Not that I didn't already know that, but STILL.

Thing is, the later one applies to a program, the more it will seem like that was a back-up, no? :eek:

I like having Plan B's. It's the way I'm made.

I've been a mess lately. I woke up at 3:00AM this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. So, using my time ever so wisely, I sat up worrying. Like Stormjen, I am a worrywart by nature. I'm not only worrying about getting the interviews, but also about how I will rank places based on many factors. I have a kid and a husband and I have to figure out the best place for them not really for me. We are also broke. Never mind that my husband just quit his job! :scared:

jeff2005 said:
I've been a mess lately. I woke up at 3:00AM this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. So, using my time ever so wisely, I sat up worrying. Like Stormjen, I am a worrywart by nature. I'm not only worrying about getting the interviews, but also about how I will rank places based on many factors. I have a kid and a husband and I have to figure out the best place for them not really for me. We are also broke. Never mind that my husband just quit his job! :scared:

Aw Jeff
Im sure things will clear up soon.....just hang in there. As i have been told by all around me ever since i got into medicine, fame and fortune are just around the corner!
Hope....... has its own reason for existence! (With apologies to Einstein)
Regards
Quant

cytoborg said:
But still the paranoia kicks in--what if I said something *****ic in my PS? What if I'm completely overestimating my competetiveness as an applicant? What if one of my LORs is mediocre? Argh! I remind myself that we still have plenty of time, and that a burst of invites will probably go out after Nov. 1.

The whole paranoia thing hits the nail on the head when it comes down to me. Like some of you and I'm sure many medical students in general, I am a worrywart by nature too. When I hear that people have gotten interviews to places I applied and I have yet to hear from those programs, I start thinking too. That's when paranoia sinks in...when I start to come up with reasons as to why they're not extending me an interview invite. Trust me, I am a paranoid person who tends to overthink matters and when it's gotten to this point, I reach over for those vitamin H pills.

From reading the advice from the veterans who have gone through this in the years past, I realize that there are external factors we can't control. And on that point, I'm a control freak so this drives me nuts too.

Jeff2005, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If your husband wasn't happy with his job, kudos to him for having the wisdom to quit that job. I hope he will find another one soon. Finances can be a big source of stress and to echo quant, I hope and think this period of financial hardship will be short lived. I mean think about it...you'll match this year, start residency in the summer, and get salary (no more paying for education!). Then a few years after that, you'll start making bank as a pathologist :thumbup: .

I hope that at the end of all this madness, we will end up at a place where we're happy. Then we'll become the veterans of this process and our stories will be read by those applying next year.

AndyMilonakis said:
Then a few years after that, you'll start making bank as a pathologist :thumbup: .

I hope that at the end of all this madness, we will end up at a place where we're happy. Then we'll become the veterans of this process and our stories will be read by those applying next year.

Amen to that andy.....Amen!

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
Holy crap quant...3 posts in a 24 hour period.

Dude, you're on fire!

Im in a locquacious mood andy....Im getting out of this godforsaken village that im living in right now....Im on my way to Philly for a conference!!!.....ahh....4 days of freedom....

.......but........

i need to comeback after 4 days right?????........darn!!!!....i need to start worrying about coming back after 4 days.....(just trying to prove im a worrywort too!!!..... :laugh: )

quant said:
Im in a locquacious mood andy....Im getting out of this godforsaken village that im living in right now....Im on my way to Philly for a conference!!!.....ahh....4 days of freedom....

Hey man, I'll be in Philly in December. We should chill when I'm in the area.

Conferences are great! You learn a lot. You meet people with similar interests. Hopefully everything is paid for...wink wink.

deschutes said:
Couldn't agree more. It helps to have an outlet for let's-think-aloud-the-worst-case-scenarios. I have officially been labelled "second tier" by a program. Grrrreat. Not that I didn't already know that, but STILL.

Thing is, the later one applies to a program, the more it will seem like that was a back-up, no? :eek:

I like having Plan B's. It's the way I'm made.

Who called you second tier? That's crazy! You know what? I was thinking last night. I don't think success has anything to do with scores and numbers. I have good grades and Step I score, but I feel that my ambition is the aspect of my personality that will make me successful. So, who cares what specific program we get into? I don't think the name of the program carries a much weight as hard work and success of completing various projects does. As long as we are at a decent place and work hard, success will be definite. The name of the institution will not make you successful, YOU have to make you successful. It's not like pathology is this huge field where recognition for hard work gets lost in the shuffle. How many conventions are there a year? We have ample opportunitites to make our mark on the field.

Zoloft said:
Who called you second tier? That's crazy! You know what? I was thinking last night. I don't think success has anything to do with scores and numbers. I have good grades and Step I score, but I feel that my ambition is the aspect of my personality that will make me successful. So, who cares what specific program we get into? I don't think the name of the program carries a much weight as hard work and success of completing various projects does. As long as we are at a decent place and work hard, success will be definite. The name of the institution will not make you successful, YOU have to make you successful. It's not like pathology is this huge field where recognition for hard work gets lost in the shuffle. How many conventions are there a year? We have ample opportunitites to make our mark on the field.

I couldn't agree with you more Zoloft! It's like on "The Apprentice". Who almost made it to the end without being fired? Troy, who only had a high school diploma. Who got fired first? The guy with the M.D. / MBA. Its how you use your resources that will separate you from the pack and make you successful.

deschutes said:

Well, that's one program's opinion. Besides, when you get there (or wherever) and interview you will move back up to first tier. Perhaps they are just trying to make sure you want to come there. Or perhaps this simply means this program is not worth your time - a lot of the community programs out there are not known for the best teaching. I can't give you examples, but this is what I hear through the grapevine.

And jeff is a woman? Wow. Yeah finances are a hassle - as if you don't have enough to worry about without that as well. I can't really help you there - maybe you can start a pyramid scheme?

I am a worrier by nature as well (surprise). And as I alluded to on another thread, I will always find something to worry about. Even now in the low stress world of microbiology I am worried because I cannot figure out the female sex.

p.s. I call shenanigans on the Apprentice reference. Evil show! Evil! Yaah no watch!

I applied to academic programs only. This particular program seemed to think that not having Step 2 scores put me in the 2nd tier.... *shrugs*

I imagine that people in the so-called "first tier" are AMGs on the MD/PhD track and/or sterling Step 1 and 2 scores. I would not find it hard to understand why program directors would use these (a PhD/Step 2 scores) as yardsticks of dedication or even ambition.

~
My house of cards:

Interview with ongoing rotations --> write Step 2 CK with ongoing rotations (seems pretty inevitable that I will spending yet another New Year's Eve writing yet another step!) --> match in March --> start visa application (which incidentally, requires a diploma!) by remote control --> continue to pass all rotations --> write Step 2 CS --> graduate on time in May --> chase visa down by July 1st --> start residency.

Whew! I'm told it's doable - but this was before the CS came about. Guess I won't be going home next year! :rolleyes:

~
I made it to my little town.

I have a 3-bedroom suite to myself in the basement of the clinic. Apart from the caretaker, it's me myself and I.
Downtown is 2 streets, and everyone waves to everyone else walking or driving by.

The coffee shop is called "Coffee Shop" :D

I think I'll stay here the whole month. I feel like I could use a break.

yaah said:
Even now in the low stress world of microbiology I am worried because I cannot figure out the female sex.
Aren't they the ones without the sex pili?

deschutes said:
I applied to academic programs only. This particular program seemed to think that not having Step 2 scores put me in the 2nd tier.... *shrugs*
That's a load of crap. That program needs to be deep six'd.
deschutes said:
Interview with ongoing rotations --> write Step 2 CK with ongoing rotations (seems pretty inevitable that I will spending yet another New Year's Eve writing yet another step!) --> match in March --> start visa application (which incidentally, requires a diploma!) by remote control --> continue to pass all rotations --> write Step 2 CS --> graduate on time in May --> chase visa down by July 1st --> start residency.
This could make for a really long gatorade commercial with Rocky music playing in the background.
deschutes said:
I made it to my little town.

I have a 3-bedroom suite to myself in the basement of the clinic. Apart from the caretaker, it's me myself and I.
Downtown is 2 streets, and everyone waves to everyone else walking or driving by.

The coffee shop is called "Coffee Shop" :D
Wait wait, are you telling me that where you're staying is the same place as where you will be working? How tragic...you can't use the "dead car battery" or "flat tire" excuse. And they know where you live! AAAAHHH!

Seriously though it sounds like a pretty nice little town. Is there a diner that is called "Diner." Ooh ooh lemme guess, there's also a waffle house named, "Waffle House". And there's gotta be the sketchy bar in town that is appropriately named "Bar."

deschutes said:
Aren't they the ones without the sex pili?
***GEEK ALERT***GEEK ALERT***GEEK ALERT***

AndyMilonakis said:
That's a load of crap. That program needs to be deep six'd.
I'm afraid I'm not entirely familiar with that expression... :confused:

AndyMilonakis said:
This could make for a really long gatorade commercial with Rocky music playing in the background.
Or the wail of a banshee. Most apt.

AndyMilonakis said:
...where you're staying is the same place as where you will be working?
Yes, it means that I'll be able to wake at 8:25am and turn up for work at 8:30am. I don't see any down side at all!

AndyMilonakis said:
***GEEK ALERT***GEEK ALERT***GEEK ALERT***
Just pulling yaah's leg :D

yaah, if you're stressing out as much as you are, I think you're interested, even if she's not. Is she available? Then go right ahead - you have nothing to lose.

Deep six = dump 'em.
Cross 'em out
Cancel
Give them a big :thumbdown:
you get the point. :)

deschutes said:

I imagine that people in the so-called "first tier" are AMGs on the MD/PhD track and/or sterling Step 1 and 2 scores. I would not find it hard to understand why program directors would use these (a PhD/Step 2 scores) as yardsticks of dedication or even ambition.

Step II is more important for IMGs. It isn't necessarily used as a yardstick of dedication or ambition - more that you can function in the american system. And that you have assimilated knowledge. They get dedication and ambition more from your application and interview.

Yup. No sex pili. Hopefully! ;)

And you say I have nothing to lose? False! I see her every day and enjoy our witty banter.

yaah said:
And you say I have nothing to lose? False! I see her every day and enjoy our witty banter.

OK yaah, is this the same person who you said has been hangin' around ya a little more than expected? Someone who has been giving you a little more attention than expected?

Seriously, just ask her out. It pains me to have you go through this...especially if it's gotten to the point that you're playing weird mind games with yourself when thinking about her. The weekend is fast approaching :)

People keep saying that a rush of invitations will probably come after November 1st when the Dean's Letter is released. My concern is that this "letter" will do absolutely nothing to enhance my application. If anything, it will only confirm that I am not a strong applicant.

So, what exactly do I have to look forward to?

My only hope currently is that my Step 2 score will come back in a few weeks and I will have improved considerably from Step 1. And that's just a hope.

I like to worry, Andy. Well, not that I really like to worry, but somehow it is the way I end up operating! But yeah, we'll see. The thing about it is, I am not so adverse to rejection. If it happens, it happens. Thus, I really do have nothing to worry about. It's the whole anticipation thing. The fear of the UNKNOWN.

Stormjen as long as your dean's letter says that you are going to graduate med school I think it can only help you. I think some programs just want to make sure everything is official.

What do you guys all think? I might start a poll about whether a program (or a girl, LOL) should just reject you or toy with you. That's it I'm starting another poll. It is election season, after all.

yaah said:
I like to worry, Andy. Well, not that I really like to worry, but somehow it is the way I end up operating! But yeah, we'll see. The thing about it is, I am not so adverse to rejection. If it happens, it happens. Thus, I really do have nothing to worry about. It's the whole anticipation thing. The fear of the UNKNOWN.
I do think the anticipation has peaked, so to speak. (I do mean "peak", and not "pique", unlike some people who confuse the two.) Sometimes things need a teensy push.

Y'know yaah, no girl - no matter how young or old nor how strong or independent or smart she thinks herself - will ever have anything against a guy asking her out. If I were a guy, that would be my rule of thumb :p

yaah said:
Stormjen as long as your dean's letter says that you are going to graduate med school I think it can only help you. I think some programs just want to make sure everything is official.

I'm going to be seeing my letter before it's submitted, so that will give me an idea of how much it might help (or hinder) me. Hopefully they don't cut and paste a bunch of negative comments from my clerkship evals.

What do you guys all think? I might start a poll about whether a program (or a girl, LOL) should just reject you or toy with you. That's it I'm starting another poll. It is election season, after all.

Come on, be a man and just ASK her if she wants to do something with you. You know, go grab lunch together. No pressure. Then take it from there. In my opinion, it's better to be friends before dating anyway. Sheesh, guys are such wussies sometimes. And you're what, seven feet tall or something? You could fling her over your shoulder and run into the woods with her if you want. Stop being a chicken. :mad:

deschutes said:
Y'know yaah, no girl - no matter how young or old nor how strong or independent or smart she thinks herself - will ever have anything against a guy asking her out. If I were a guy, that would be my rule of thumb :p

I think you are right. After all, I have nothing against people asking me out.
;)

And you are probably right that the longer I wait, the worse off I will be. Maybe you didn't say that, but I inferred it. Watch, she probably has the day off tomorrow. :mad:

stormjen said:
Come on, be a man and just ASK her if she wants to do something with you. You know, go grab lunch together. No pressure. Then take it from there. In my opinion, it's better to be friends before dating anyway. Sheesh, guys are such wussies sometimes. And you're what, seven feet tall or something? You could fling her over your shoulder and run into the woods with her if you want. Stop being a chicken. :mad:

Who you callin' a chicken? Them's fightin words.

Meet me on the quad at dawn. The weapons will be pistols.

No, not quite 7 feet tall. And there really aren't any good woods right around the hospital. I would have to cross the river. And BELIEVE me, I know all about being friends. I am way too good at that part.

I am glad you all are providing such sound relationship advice. When I get shot down I am coming back here with a score to settle! ;)

This is crackin my **** up! Thanks for the entertainment.

Yaah, you better have good news tomorrow.

BTW...repeat after me. It's "Them be fightin' words". :laugh:

Just another female perspective Yaah. Women like to be asked out, and unless you're a total loser (and it's obvious your not) she's going to say yes. Keep it casual. Just do it.

yaah said:
I think you are right. After all, I have nothing against people asking me out.
Even better, I know I am right :cool:

yaah said:
And you are probably right that the longer I wait, the worse off I will be. Maybe you didn't say that, but I inferred it. Watch, she probably has the day off tomorrow. :mad:
I was thinking more that the anticipation and the associated frisson of excitement can be pleasurable - but when it gets to the point which you have reached, then it's time to do something about it...!

The first guy I ever dated, I asked out. Like, a couple of months before I left home for good. I don't think he had noticed me much before then, although the times we did talk I always enjoyed our witty banter. Two nights before I flew off, he texted me - "Is there anything you would like to eat, do, see or feel before you leave?" ;)

~
As stormjen says, ask her out for lunch. Or banter over a box of DOTS. It's as arbitrary as going out for coffee anyway.

(People just say "coffee" because it sounds good. Even those people who DON'T drink coffee. "Out to tea" sounds too un-cosmopolitan. And "Hey, you wanna go out for hot chocolate sometime?" is just too confusing.)

Good luck. We're waiting. No pressure at all :p

I thought this was a thread for worrywarts, but i think it ends up being quite therapeutic for those that are pseudo-worrywarts...

Just to put you in your place (don't mean to offend) but how can you worry when you're competing with me?

IMG, failed step one twice, below 80 scores (steps 1 & 2), applied to 40 programs last year, didn't match nor scramble into a spot, and now instead of settling for any specialty, am re-applying to 40 programs this year.

For me its pathology or bust... I feel like that chick in ER that now works at a liquor store...

I guess my career is slated for, "would you like fries with that sir?"

So for any of you worrying, just read this post....

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

It couldn't be as bad as this could it? I dare to find someone to top my position.

Jane: "Misery loves company."
Daria: "Don't remind me. It's the basis of our entire friendship."
- from MTV's "Daria".

"Miserable being must find more miserable being. Then, ees appy."
- large grey dog in dog pound, from Disney's "Lady and the Tramp".

Welcome mobmw325i! (Weren't those around in the 90's?)

I don't think the spirit of this thread is for posters to try to prove whose hell is the worst, inasmuch as it exists to provide stress (and comic) relief for those who need it.

Worry - like pain - is unique to the experience of the individual.

While my particular situation is (subjectively) worse than some and better than others, I recognize that at any one point in the series of steps there is a potential for something to go - leading to a domino effect. Hence the stress.

So I come here where people are friendly, intelligent and collegial, and it takes my mind off the madness.

Best of luck with the Match process! I hope we all of us get to do what we want.

mobmw325i said:
I thought this was a thread for worrywarts, but i think it ends up being quite therapeutic for those that are pseudo-worrywarts...

My feeling is that people who go to medical school and then pursue careers as clinicians tend to have worrywart personalities. Regardless of where people truly stand in terms of their applications and credentials, we will still be worrywarts. And this whole application process really brings this aspect of our personalities out to the forefront.

Sometimes I feel, "God I can't wait for all this to be over." You know what though? After this is all said and done with, there will be more things that we will worry about. I wonder...will we be worrywarts forever, or will we eventually be at peace?

So the topic just changes... instead of worrying about residency it becomes worrying about in-service exams, or board exams... fellowship, to job placement?

And by no means was I attempting to out worry a worrywart (but it sure did seem that way), but I was just trying to say I'm worrying... in fact, I don't think I can sleep tonight after speaking with a program director today...

I feel like someone has a hold of my heart and is squeezing but not hard, very lightly (even worse!)...

chest pressure?

This year I had to apply to backup programs in Family & Psych, but I think I will worry MORE if I get that...

it's funny reading this thread as i'm seriously worrying about whether or not i can finish working on this crafts project for my friend before tomorrow so i can take it to the post office. sad, but true.

i think, as andy said, we're all worriers by nature and med school only fuels this. i'm on a hospice rotation right now and it provides excellent perspective--seeing all these people who have six or less months to live who are satisfied with their lives and accomplishments for the most part, who are so thankful for their grandchildren, or trailer home, or band aids that i give them. they wouldn't bat an eye at what we're worrying about right now--where our interviews are, all the paperwork, money issues, etc.

makes you think....

It's definitely true - I put all my worrying in perspective, it's just a nice release to be able to complain about it! Obviously my problems are far from what some people have to experience. Everyone has different things that they tend to worry about, while others may not consider that a problem at all. Like me, I could care less about stressing for interviews - I enjoyed them all (except maybe when I had 3 in one week). But certainly other things i stress over...

edit: So we went and got breakfast today - dammit I was right she does have a boyfriend already. Oh well. Scratch that one of the list. I told you all I stink at reading people - she WAS just being friendly! She's gonna look out for some hotties for me though - I told her NO DOCTORS and NO LAWYERS! Unless of course they are not typical doctors and lawyers.

Okay, as I've said before, I'm an M3, and I am certain that Pathology is the field for me. My problem: I'm really not a worrywart. Does that, in any way, disqualify me for the job? Please, someone help me! I'm certain that I will not be able to rest until someone assures me that this is okay!

Mosche

No answers yet! Come on, it's been 30 seconds. Is this some sort of "tough love" exercise? It won't work. IT WON'T WORK. IT WON'T WORK! :eek:

Okay, I'm worrying! Thank you' thank you all! :clap:

Well, some people just don't worry very much. However, I would suggest that you do worry, you perhaps just have a different way of looking at it or you are denying your emotions.

Or, perhaps when you move further in your career you will start to worry. Whether you pay much attention to these worries, well, that is another story. Like I worry about certain things but it doesn't really bother me or affect me. But I still worry. I am just man enough to admit it! ;)

yaah said:
It's definitely true - I put all my worrying in perspective, it's just a nice release to be able to complain about it! Obviously my problems are far from what some people have to experience. Everyone has different things that they tend to worry about, while others may not consider that a problem at all. Like me, I could care less about stressing for interviews - I enjoyed them all (except maybe when I had 3 in one week). But certainly other things i stress over...

edit: So we went and got breakfast today - dammit I was right she does have a boyfriend already. Oh well. Scratch that one of the list. I told you all I stink at reading people - she WAS just being friendly! She's gonna look out for some hotties for me though - I told her NO DOCTORS and NO LAWYERS! Unless of course they are not typical doctors and lawyers.

Yaah,

I applaud you on giving it a shot. Sorry to hear that the outcome wasn't what you hoped for. If it makes you feel better, I stink at reading people too. Sounds like someone needs a beer :)

AndyMilonakis said:
I applaud you on giving it a shot. Sorry to hear that the outcome wasn't what you hoped for. If it makes you feel better, I stink at reading people too. Sounds like someone needs a beer :)

Yeah, too bad none for lunch. :(

We have "visiting professor day" today, a professor from an outside institution here for the day. It's nice, we learn a lot, get some nice lectures, free food, and are excused from clinical activities for the day.

On the subject of worrying...

A small rush of invites, now nothing. The interviews thread has me in a panic...it seems all the west coast programs have sent invites...I have only 2 from the west coast, only one of which is in CA. Where is the love? :confused:

I heard a rumor that those of us who left CA to go to medical school have a harder time getting back in. On the one hand that could be total bull****. On the other hand, perhaps I'm screwed. :(

cytoborg said:
I heard a rumor that those of us who left CA to go to medical school have a harder time getting back in. On the one hand that could be total bull****. On the other hand, perhaps I'm screwed. :(

My roommate is from Cali. He tried to match in Cali. He ended up staying here. He knew that matching in CA is just plain difficult cuz almost everyone seems to wanna go there. I haven't heard of anything along the lines of former CA residents being at a unique disadvantage when leaving for med school and then trying to match back into CA.

vetiver said:
it's funny reading this thread as i'm seriously worrying about whether or not i can finish working on this crafts project for my friend before tomorrow so i can take it to the post office. sad, but true.
yes...the non-residency related worries.
here, i started thinking ... uh-gain ... about what to put in my best man speech. how much is too long? what's too short? what goes in it? what should stay out? aaahhh!

Yeah - don't go on for too long. Say a few jokes, tell a story, end with some sentiment, and avoid mentioning bestiality (you'd be surprised how many people don't remember that last one).

People will be somewhat drunk or on their way to becoming drunk - they really won't remember a ton about specifics of what you say, they will remember your general tone and attitude. So say something nice about the bride and groom and how cute they look together or how they compliment each other, or whatever.

They will also remember if you make an ass out of yourself by throwing up, slurring your words, or falling on your face. One of the other groomsmen at the last wedding I was at said that he had prepared a backup speech because at a previous wedding, the best man had started to speak, thrown up, and left the stage, and horrors, there was no toast. I told him the chances of that happening to me were about 0.0001%, but he still prepared one. Then he cried when I made my speech, so I am not sure how his would have gone over!

Yes, everyone does want California. Being raised in California (not too far from Harbor UCLA), I've been blessed. But you don't know what you have until its gone. Since that time I've lived in a third world country, miami, and new york.

I've had attendings from the Univ of Pittsburgh give talks about medicine and preface it by saying California is 5 years ahead of NY in terms of medicine.

There are so many problems in NY that I can't even begin to start (it would be a major whine session, and frankly could turn into a book).

All you have to do is ask yourself... why is California the most populated state in the country?

Most of the Californians I've met in NY intend on going back.

And then you have a great snippet of Kramer on Seinfeld, "It's LA, nobody leaves!" (afraid that Jerry wouldn't come back after going there...)

But I have come to realize that California is a pipe dream for me, and that I may just have to seek fellowship or flat out move there after all of my training. One way or another I'll find my way home.

:love:

California dreamin.... on such a winters day...