Thoughts on this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun1nth3sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to ask for your opinions.
If you were part of the admissions committee at a Medical School, would you choose between a Medical Technology major with a high MCAT (40) but low gpa (low 3.2/3.3) or someone with a 4.0 gpa who attended a no-name university and a liberal arts degree at a community college with a 30 MCAT?

Oh and also, the Medical technology major has valuable clinical experience and work experience as a Medical technologist?

Is a high MCAT score more valuable than a higher gpa?
Does it depend on the school?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on the rest of the application for me. I think either could potentially have the numbers needed to succeed. I'd probably be more skeptical of the low GPA unless the classes were hard or they showed improvement over time.

It would depend on the rest of the application for me. I think either could potentially have the numbers needed to succeed. I'd probably be more skeptical of the low GPA unless the classes were hard or they showed improvement over time.

Yes I should have specified that the one with the Medical technology major definetely has harder classes as the curriculum was science based and a higher level (Med tech classes)..and the one with the low gpa had a huge upward trend..which went from like a 2.4 gpa to 3.9 over like 6 semesters.