Thoughts on steps I should take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so each time I receive a rejection I ask the school if they are able to provide me with exact reasons as to why I was rejected.

So I just got off of a phone call discussing my application with a school that rejected me and they said that my MCAT is fine, my experiences were good, but it was my GPA that was holding me back (Shocker, I am a reinvention applicant). So I asked her what exactly would make me competitive. She advised me to do one more year of upper division courses (I have already completed two years and received a 3.8+ over the 50+ credit hours) and to volunteer more.

My question is "Should I begin looking for more volunteer opportunities?" I have about 600 hours of nonclinical volunteering, 92 hours of shadowing, and 4000+ hours as an ED scribe.

I also have a daughter and provide for her and some other family members at the moment. I am continuing with my current volunteer organizations, however this is the second school to tell me to increase my volunteer hours (the first being UCF).

What should I do? I have applied to close to 50 schools all together and am worried that if I wait to see how the cycle plays out without increasing my volunteer schedule I may have wasted some time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, so each time I receive a rejection I ask the school if they are able to provide me with exact reasons as to why I was rejected.

So I just got off of a phone call discussing my application with a school that rejected me and they said that my MCAT is fine, my experiences were good, but it was my GPA that was holding me back (Shocker, I am a reinvention applicant). So I asked her what exactly would make me competitive. She advised me to do one more year of upper division courses (I have already completed two years and received a 3.8+ over the 50+ credit hours) and to volunteer more.

My question is "Should I begin looking for more volunteer opportunities?" I have about 600 hours of nonclinical volunteering, 92 hours of shadowing, and 4000+ hours as an ED scribe.

I also have a daughter and provide for her and some other family members at the moment. I am continuing with my current volunteer organizations, however this is the second school to tell me to increase my volunteer hours (the first being UCF).

What should I do? I have applied to close to 50 schools all together and am worried that if I wait to see how the cycle plays out without increasing my volunteer schedule I may have wasted some time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Nope, your ECs are fine. Focus on academics.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Nope, your ECs are fine. Focus on academics.

I know you suggested just giving it the old college try this cycle and if I do not receive any traction, applying to an SMP. I am just wondering if I enroll in a few courses now and update colleges in December, how that will make me look?

@Goro I know this is only one school saying this. But should I take maybe two classes at my local college in September? There’s are sociology and an abnormal psychology classes that I could take if I take out a loan.