Thoughts on Step 2CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redcharger2904

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my score a while ago and feel like posting a little
IMG, YOG 2016
I will just post some of my thoughts
1. Is it easier or harder than Step 1? I think they're both hard, but in different ways. Step 1 required lots of memorization, and questions can be very nit-picky. Step 2 is less so, but questions can be vague, and requires more thinking apparently. "What's the next step of management" type question can be especially challenging, as we need to sort out different conditions of each patient.
2. I think Step 2 is more about "sense". A lot of time I didn't really know the exact dx, but I just pick the answer with my own gut. It does take practice to develop good sense, but I think it's important for this exam, as well as real practice. Confidence is also key here. Trust your own gut!
3. An urban legend saying Step 2 easier than Step 1. I think it's because Step 2 material is more clinical oriented, and we thus more familiar with them. Also, I feel like it's easier to get high score on Step 2. I feel like these two aren't scaled equally, as on my step 2 report, I had many discipline dipping into borderline, but only few on Step 1. Yet I scored 14 pts higher on CK. I also felt I had similar or slightly more % of wrong/incorrect qs on CK.
4. Condition matters.2-3 weeks before test, I was likely burning out and my UW score started to drop. I felt bad, kept doing and kept dropping. I then took 1 full day off and then resume. After that day, my energy got back. So if you really feel tired or burnt out, please go take a break. Conditon really matters, and make sure you're in best condition on test day. Make sure you relax and sleep well before test day.
5. Assessment exams as learning tool. Don't feel bad when you get low score. Just focus on what and why you get wrong, and avoiding making similar mistake next time around. Based on my observation, for Step 2 CK, most people's assessment scores underpridict(Though UWSA tends to be closer, but still underpridict for majority)
6.I don't recommend taking assessment tests too close before exam, as there'sa chance it may blow your confidence. Recommend 2 weeks before test to do the last one.

Statistics
Step 1:229
UW 1st pass:63%. 2nd pass: Only few blocks of incorrects, around 75-80%
UWSA1:230(4.5 weeks to go)
UWSa2: 222(2.5weeks to go)--Was burning out and panicked. Again confidence and condition matter!
No NBMEs for a number of reasons.
Free 120: 83%(99/120)(9 days out)
Real deal :243(6/30, got score 7/26)

For those who're still waiting, if you did OK on UWSA/NBME, you'll most likely do fine. Like I said, they mostly underestimate(Sometimes by a good margin). Trust yourself. To make you feel better, I do guess that Step 2 has nicer curve than Step 1. Good luck on everyone waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, congratulations. How much time do you think is ideal to prepare for this test? I’m an IMG and took step 1 already. How did you feel after the exam? I ask this because I felt terrible after taking step 1 but ended up doing well, I’m kind of scared of taking step 2 CK.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, congratulations. How much time do you think is ideal to prepare for this test? I’m an IMG and took step 1 already. How did you feel after the exam? I ask this because I felt terrible after taking step 1 but ended up doing well, I’m kind of scared of taking step 2 CK.
I would guess 3-4 months. Make sure you practice enough. As for book I personally used First Aid as my base book, and put notes on that. The book was okay, not perfect though. UWorld is key.
After taking exam, I felt so-so. I didn’t have the impending doom feeling that I failed, but just no idea how well it could be. Confidence is key. Be confident. But if you got low score on practice tests, don’t be disheartened. Just learn from it. BTW there’s nothing wrong with feeling awful after exam. I felt like crap after step 2 CS, but ended safe and sound.
If you don’t mind, what is your concern about the exam?

Reactions: 1 users