Thoughts on skipping pharmacy school graduation commencement ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8turkeys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for peoples thoughts... was never really close with my class, attached to the school, or big on these ceremonial activities

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the same way too, also because back then I didn't have a job lined up yet and I was afraid of being asked what I would be doing after. But I decided to go anyway because I knew I paid for all of that extravaganza.

In a way I was glad I went, because for the next 10 years I would have to drag myself to a place that I am not close to, attached to, and this time mostly surrounded by unhappy people. Except that this time I am paid to go there.

Hopefully you get a job lined up because this is the last time you'll see your classmates before they find jobs (if any..). If you ever land an interview and you recognize one of your classmates, it'll suck if they have no clue who you are because the lack of interaction you had making connections.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully you get a job lined up because this is the last time you'll see your classmates before they find jobs (if any..). If you ever land an interview and you recognize one of your classmates, it'll suck if they have no clue who you are because the lack of interaction you had making connections.

Agreed..

Getting a good job is all about who you know and how they feel about you. If you are one of those people that can’t put on a smiley face in public, or at least pretend that you like other people - your screwed.

Go to your graduation. Let this be an exercise in pretending that you take an interest in anyone except yourself..

Reactions: 1 users
What is there to celebrate about graduation? That the schools got $200k richer from your student loans which you will have a hard time paying back due to the lack of jobs?

Reactions: 1 user
What is there to celebrate about graduation? That the schools got $200k richer from your student loans which you will have a hard time paying back due to the lack of jobs?

They are celebrating that they actually got a degree and at least a chance to get licensed and get a job....unlike many of their classmates who flunked out and owe the school +$100K and have no chance at a license or job.

I went to collect all of my accolades.

Ha.

But it was symbolic for me because of what a crapstorm my life was and I made it anyway. I doubt you'd be like, oh I wish I had spent that 1 hour on SDN or whatever instead of going to your ceremony.

You should and listen to the BS all of the deans, faculty, and keynote speakers (the people fortunate enough to have had the opportunity/help to be successful) spout. And let it be a reminder to you to never repeat such lies to another pharmacy student or Prepharm.

how could anyone stand in front of a room of soon to be jobless new grads and make big claims the future is bright for everyone. It’s a sham

I had planned on skipping mine back then mainly because I originally didn't have family coming but they decided on coming last minute so I ended up going. It's up to you but my didn't give the pharmacist whitecoat to students unless they attended. Of course some people are nervous about showing up front when their name is called and having it show that they are looking for __ type pharmacist job but in my case, more than half the class apparently didn't have jobs lined up so it was all good.

I went cause I wanted to spend time with my friends one last time. I'm glad I did because I'll most likely never see most of them ever again now that we're all over the country raising kids. It was a great time.

But if you don't like your classmates then I guess it would suck.

I went cause I wanted to spend time with my friends one last time. I'm glad I did because I'll most likely never see most of them ever again now that we're all over the country raising kids. It was a great time.

But if you don't like your classmates then I guess it would suck.

I didn’t want to go to my graduation. I despise some of my classmates but I showed up for my familY. Also showed up for the classmates that I loved to death. Even though I still keep in touch with those people, I knew it would one of the few times we’d be together for the rest of our lives. Don’t regret going.

I didn't know TJ Parker but I don't think very many people from MCP 2012 and beyond are titans of industry.

I didn’t go. People told me to do it for my family and said I would regret it if I didn’t. 4 years later, I don’t regret not going at all. Some of my classmates were upset because they wanted to take pictures with me, but they got over it.

I'm not going either. There's nothing to celebrate. And I hate to hear lies.

if you don't like to attend, just don't go. this ****ty profession is going nowhere, yet your dean will likely paint a false "bright future" that can be sickening to hear. your classmates will soon compete with you to get jobs.

if you don't like to attend, just don't go. this ****ty profession is going nowhere, yet your dean will likely paint a false "bright future" that can be sickening to hear. your classmates will soon compete with you to get jobs.
Or your classmates have a job already lined up before graduation

Mine was mandatory. Didn't realize some places gave you a choice.