thoughts on Nassau Medical Center in New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jephyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with Nassau Medical Center's PMR residency program; good, bad, or neutral? I guess they are going dual accreditation next year (both DO and MD match).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

jephyboy said:
Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with Nassau Medical Center's PMR residency program; good, bad, or neutral? I guess they are going dual accreditation next year (both DO and MD match).

Thanks!
NUMC is a good and solid program. Excellent outpatient clinics, EMGs, and consults. The program is not inpatient focused like the other NYC/LI programs (except Einstein and St. Vincent's). There are many opportunities to get interventional spine exposure. A lot of research is done. Excellent PG. The residents love their work schedule and feel very well prepared. The residents land great fellowships such as Sports & spine at Kessler, interventional spine at LI College Hospital in Brooklyn, SCI at Mt. Sinai, a very lucrative general rehab position in New Mexico, etc. (Personally, it seems that at any PM&R program you land a great fellowship since it is a small field). Call is generally q7 at home. The campus housing is quite nice and cheap ($570/month for a studio)! I will be starting at NUMC at the end of June. I can discuss more about the program when I begin there. The one thing for sure is that the residents are very happy with this program. I have done a lot of medical student rotations at NUMC and the PM&R program definitely shines in the hospital. Their residents feel very prepared once they are done. Finally, the program is officially dually accredited (DO/MD).

Is the institution ecconomically stable? I thought the whole reason they went from NCMC to NUMC was because of some rather significant financial shortfalls, but then again, that could just be gossip and inuendo.

paz5559 said:
Is the institution ecconomically stable? I thought the whole reason they went from NCMC to NUMC was because of some rather significant financial shortfalls, but then again, that could just be gossip and inuendo.

The institution did have some economic troubles, and hence the name change from county to university, but that has mostly stabilized. The nassau county budget deficit had a lot to do with it. The hospital changed its name to NUMC because the Nassau Healthcare Corporation took over ownership instead of the county. The hospital still runs as a county hospital for the most part. The county hospitals, especially in NY, are not geared to be profitable hospitals such as North Shore Manhasset or UPitt Medical Center. With the numerous uninsured and medicaid patients at NUMC, that is another probable reason why the hospital has been losing money. Then again, as a resident, I get more satisfication and more of a learning experience through these types of patients in contrast to working in a private hospital where I am located. It appears that most hospitals have been in negative balance, at least the ones that I have encountered in NY.