Medical Thoughts about my school list with my GPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Long-time member and lurker here. I am currently a nurse, was a combat Corpsman, and am now finishing up my BS. Based on an old AMCAS calculator, I have estimated that I need to take additional 5 BCPM courses to boost my c/s GPA to get it above 3.0. I am just under it. I am actually now planning to drag out my degree graduation, so I am not limited to non-degree seeking status. This way, I can max out on credits while boosting my GPA above 3.0, and THEN graduate with my BS.

Originally, I was trying to max out credits during the summer and fall 21' in order to graduate in December. Then, I would take the MCAT(goal of 510+) in April 22' after graduation, with a prep course for cycle 23'. I plan to apply at Mayo, UofA Tucson, UofA Phx, UofM, MSU(allopathic), Wayne State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and Albert Einstein NY. I do have to take my partner and family into consideration. I became passionate about IM-GI during my work, and that is my end goal. I am currently doing an internship with a doctor and working on publishing a case report.

Your school list is going to need some work. You will need to add a good number of DO schools to the list and add more MD. I can't get the document to open. What is your GPA for your post-bac work only? You should be shooting for 511-512+ for MCAT if you are gonna have a shot at MD.

Members don't see this ad.

In general when you’re just barely getting over 3.0, no matter how stellar your trajectory is you need to add a bunch of DO schools and not be terribly picky. IM is very achievable from any DO school, but to get to the I’m university program that can get you to GI you will need to keep up the research.

In general when you’re just barely getting over 3.0, no matter how stellar your trajectory is you need to add a bunch of DO schools and not be terribly picky. IM is very achievable from any DO school, but to get to the I’m university program that can get you to GI you will need to keep up the research.
@AlteredScale

Weigh-in on GI stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.