Those who scored >245 on Step2, how did you prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTCA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The step1 thread was so interesting I thought it was worth duplicating.

Members don't see this ad.

books: prescription for the boards, boards & wards, crush the step 2

questions: NMS (68% average), qbank (71% overall average)

time: 3 months or so? i started studying during my sub-I (mid-september to mid-october), continued during 2 weeks of rads, then started questions during november (month off for interviewing). took the darn thing mid-december.

Originally posted by Skrubz
books: prescription for the boards, boards & wards, crush the step 2

questions: NMS (68% average), qbank (71% overall average)

time: 3 months or so? i started studying during my sub-I (mid-september to mid-october), continued during 2 weeks of rads, then started questions during november (month off for interviewing). took the darn thing mid-december.

Wow, 3 months is a lot longer than I've heard for Step 2. Did you not have a lot of free time to study, or did you feel you really needed to put a lot into it?

Sigh. Why can't I ever make the cutoffs to contribute to these threads. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
NMS question book, Blueprints, 5 days of studying (about 5-6h/d)=>250 score.

Originally posted by LaCirujana
NMS question book, Blueprints, 5 days of studying (about 5-6h/d)=>250 score.

!!!!! i will assume your iq is in the same neighborhood as your score.:clap:

boards & wards, crush the step 2, NMS Questions (70-78%), studied for 3 weeks 1-2 hours at night = 249. You already know a lot of step 2 from your rotations so you don't have to study nearly as much.

-P

Originally posted by Jaded Soul
Wow, 3 months is a lot longer than I've heard for Step 2. Did you not have a lot of free time to study, or did you feel you really needed to put a lot into it?

I decided that I wanted to try and match my Step 1 2-digit score, so I wanted to give myself ample lead time. But yeah, I was only able to study from 1-3 hours a day with rotations and other stuff going on.

Took the opposite route. Took two weeks after 3rd year was over to study. Figured that I'd only become more ******ed the longer I waited. Used Boards and Wards, Kaplan Q Bank, and NMS question book. Beat my Step one by a few points so I was pretty happy. Of course this strategy will only work if you can fight through the end of third year burnout for two more weeks. I took the first two weeks of fourth year off so I had the luxury to do that. But most of the Step 2 stuff is things you have just learned so I would do it while its still fresh in your head.

i did not have a lot of time to study given rotations/electives. started reviewing ob/gyn and peds (blueprints) in early october because i figure i could handle medicine and psych topics okay without much endeavor. for surgery, i reviewed trauma only. took exam end of november instead of end of december. used qbank, nms for questions. reviewed step 2 secrets, boards and wards, and step 2 first aid, but liked the first 2 better. none of these review books have been significantly updated. wish i reviewed neuro a little better.

hope that helps

-s.