Those Applying to AA School....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,

I am going to be a new student at the Tampa program this June. Is that where you will be attending? Did you say that you are a single mom? I have a 14 month old daughter that I will be bringing to Tampa without my boyfriend and will essentially be a single mom. I am really nervous about everything, and starting to look at daycare centers/ nannies. Do you know what you are doing for childcare yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be interested in being your roommate if you choose Tampa. I don't have a place yet and it would be cheaper to split rent with someone. I do have a 14 month old, however. E-mail me if you think you may be interested: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for talking so long to respond. I'm sure having healthcare experience helped in the acceptance.. but how much it helped I'm not so sure. Out of about 10 interviewees that day, we had 3 RTs including myself.

Even though I got into NOVA, I'm definitely going to the Emory interview. Mainly because the way I look at it, it's the big daddy of AA schools that trained most of the directors/professors of the newer AA programs, so it would be disadvantageous to me to not check it out. Hopefully the interview process will leave a good impression, because NOVA is going to be tough to top.

Let us know how it goes.

I'm applying to Nova and Emory next year. Right now I'd prefer Nova since I've read that they offer all the same clinical rotation locations as Emory plus some others. I know that Nova students can come to Dallas to do their pediatric rotation at my current workplace. This is a big plus as I plan to come back to Texas, either Dallas or Austin. (Still don't know of any AAs working in Austin, but there is a big group which dominates most of the city and uses the ACT model)

Last edited:
I just got back from a house hunting trip to Tampa. Looks like we will be heading to Fishhawk Ranch in Lithia. It is further away from Campus that I would like (~30-35 minutes), but it will give my family a much better life than any of the alternatives.

I just got back from a house hunting trip to Tampa. Looks like we will be heading to Fishhawk Ranch in Lithia. It is further away from Campus that I would like (~30-35 minutes), but it will give my family a much better life than any of the alternatives.

30 minutes isn't too bad....It gives you thinking time for the drive to school.:) Did you check out where the school is located while you were there?

30 minutes isn't too bad....It gives you thinking time for the drive to school.:) Did you check out where the school is located while you were there?

Due to time issues, I got to drive down Princess Palm and see what light I would turn left at... :rolleyes:

MWR - Fishhawk is a really nice community, its actually more like its own little city. They have everything you need in there. The only thing I have to warn you about is the traffic getting in and out during rush hour, trust me, you'll need to give yourself at least an hour to get to campus...sorry. If you can find something closer to US 301, you're in the clear, Fishhawk is just so far off course.

I finalized my application in mid Jan (thanks to GRE scores taking so long to get mailed) and haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know if they contact you about NOT being eligible for an interview? I hate to sound pessimistic but I'm not feeling too confident at this point. I'm hoping they were just waiting until the application deadline to do final round of processing.

Hi everyone,

I am kind of new to the AA forums. I am a current MPH student at Nova and am having some difficulties trying to decide between med school and AA. I guess I will be applying to both, as I am pretty much set to go for applications this summer. I guess I will just decide which direction to go if/when I get some acceptances.

Also, I still need to take Biochemistry this summer, and was wondering if AA programs accept online classes? I was going to do the one through UNE, because I am applying to their medical school and they require biochem.

Thanks for any help, and good luck to all those applying and starting this summer!

I can also try to answer any questions about Nova in Ft. Lauderdale or the area. I have lived here for quite awhile.

Hi everyone,

I am kind of new to the AA forums. I am a current MPH student at Nova and am having some difficulties trying to decide between med school and AA. I guess I will be applying to both, as I am pretty much set to go for applications this summer. I guess I will just decide which direction to go if/when I get some acceptances.

Also, I still need to take Biochemistry this summer, and was wondering if AA programs accept online classes? I was going to do the one through UNE, because I am applying to their medical school and they require biochem.

Thanks for any help, and good luck to all those applying and starting this summer!

I can also try to answer any questions about Nova in Ft. Lauderdale or the area. I have lived here for quite awhile.
I do not think it it is on-line or not. Dont quote me though. Just call professor Wagner and ask.
I am sure many people would love to hear what areas are the best to get an apt. in the FLL area.

Thanks KNC. I called Nova Thursday and asked, and admissions was not very clear on the matter. I could take biochem for 4 credits at Nova over the summer for $2400 or take the online class for $1100. So I hope I can get away with the online class.

Yeah, if anyone needs some good apartment complex names in the area I would be glad to help. I just moved into a new one this summer and shopped around quite a bit.

Thanks KNC. I called Nova Thursday and asked, and admissions was not very clear on the matter. I could take biochem for 4 credits at Nova over the summer for $2400 or take the online class for $1100. So I hope I can get away with the online class.

Yeah, if anyone needs some good apartment complex names in the area I would be glad to help. I just moved into a new one this summer and shopped around quite a bit.
What complex did you move into.....I am thinking about Grove east in Plantation?.....

Members don't see this ad :)
What complex did you move into.....I am thinking about Grove east in Plantation?.....

The area is nice over there, and it isn't too far from school. It seems like a short distance but when you need to get to Nova anywhere between 8am and 10am traffic can make the drive take about 20 minutes. I actually live in a complex in west plantation on University, which is the same road Nova is on, just 2 miles south. There are a bunch of nice places along University, just stay south of sunrise blvd. (Lakepointe at Jacaranda, Southpointe)

There are A LOT of nice complexes on Cleary Blvd, right across the street from Central Park. If you have kids or like to walk/jog/bike it is a great area for that, also very close to school. (The Collonades, St. Tropez, Gingerwood)

Also look at the complexes on Pine Island. This is a lot of west plantation, but it is a great area and I find the traffic to not be as bad in the mornings. On the worst days the drive takes me 20 minutes.

But the grove at east is great, that area is safe and has a lot of parks as well. You really can't go wrong if you stay in plantation, and they are all priced about the same.

The area is nice over there, and it isn't too far from school. It seems like a short distance but when you need to get to Nova anywhere between 8am and 10am traffic can make the drive take about 20 minutes. I actually live in a complex in west plantation on University, which is the same road Nova is on, just 2 miles south. There are a bunch of nice places along University, just stay south of sunrise blvd. (Lakepointe at Jacaranda, Southpointe)

There are A LOT of nice complexes on Cleary Blvd, right across the street from Central Park. If you have kids or like to walk/jog/bike it is a great area for that, also very close to school. (The Collonades, St. Tropez, Gingerwood)

Also look at the complexes on Pine Island. This is a lot of west plantation, but it is a great area and I find the traffic to not be as bad in the mornings. On the worst days the drive takes me 20 minutes.

But the grove at east is great, that area is safe and has a lot of parks as well. You really can't go wrong if you stay in plantation, and they are all priced about the same.

Thanx for the info... I will be back down there at the end of March to check out the complexes themselves before I make any decisions so the information is definately needed. All I know for sure is that I do not want an area where they break into apt. and where your car may end up sitting on cinder blocks. There were a couple of apt. reviews that peoples cars had been broken into as well. Plus my 11 year old daughter will be coming to visit with my fiance, so I have to think about more than just me....again thanx..

Thanx for the info... I will be back down there at the end of March to check out the complexes themselves before I make any decisions so the information is definately needed. All I know for sure is that I do not want an area where they break into apt. and where your car may end up sitting on cinder blocks. There were a couple of apt. reviews that peoples cars had been broken into as well. Plus my 11 year old daughter will be coming to visit with my fiance, so I have to think about more than just me....again thanx..

Ahhh, so you are coming to Ft Lauderdale? Cool! I live in (technically) Plantation, but its more like Sunrise, practically by Sawgass Mills Mall. I'd say anywhere in Plantation is pretty nice if you are west of University. West Sunrise is also nice. There are alot of apartment complexes that look nice that really aren't, though, so always research apartmentratings.com and compare that with your own impressions.

KNC, glad to help. As Endee said, go with your impressions. I could always tell if a place looked shady or not, and if the area is safe. Just take your time looking around, drive around the area, and even call the police department and ask about crime in the area or the complex you are looking at.

Endee, how do you like the AA program at Nova? I really hope to get into it for next summer.

Ahhh, so you are coming to Ft Lauderdale? Cool! I live in (technically) Plantation, but its more like Sunrise, practically by Sawgass Mills Mall. I'd say anywhere in Plantation is pretty nice if you are west of University. West Sunrise is also nice. There are alot of apartment complexes that look nice that really aren't, though, so always research apartmentratings.com and compare that with your own impressions.
Yes I am!! your not going to believe this but it is cheaper to fly from Pittsburgh to Ft. lauderdale than it is from Pitt to tampa...That makes a difference for my daughter and I to spend time together.....It is almost 500 to fly to Tampa from here...Thats just a bit much....

KNC, glad to help. As Endee said, go with your impressions. I could always tell if a place looked shady or not, and if the area is safe. Just take your time looking around, drive around the area, and even call the police department and ask about crime in the area or the complex you are looking at.

Endee, how do you like the AA program at Nova? I really hope to get into it for next summer.

I'm starting in June!

Yes I am!! your not going to believe this but it is cheaper to fly from Pittsburgh to Ft. lauderdale than it is from Pitt to tampa...That makes a difference for my daughter and I to spend time together.....It is almost 500 to fly to Tampa from here...Thats just a bit much....

I do believe it, Ft Lauderdale is a bigger metropolitan area and busier airport than Tampa! So you are coming down here alone? Why won't your family be coming down with you?

I do believe it, Ft Lauderdale is a bigger metropolitan area and busier airport than Tampa! So you are coming down here alone? Why won't your family be coming down with you?

I believe the transition to a new area and the work load would be a bit much on my daughter and I. It would be hard to get her acclimated to the area as well as deal with her homework (she is in the honor courses) and my workload all my myself. I think it would be better for her to stay up here with my mother. Moving down here for a year and then trying to figure out where she will live while I am moving all over the place during clinicals is not stable enough,to me, for an 11 year old. My fiance ( we just got engaged in Oct.) and I do not live together. We won't until I get married ( I am sort of old fashioned). My fiance is an investment advisor and 4 months isn't enough time to get himself together, get ready to take over as the main parent getting the homework from Kaylins school, finding an apt, then moving AGAIN when I am done.......you get my drift. Its all about stability....for everyone. I am a Gemini;), I can acclimate to change quickly, those two cannot......sorry about the book

Hi everyone,

I emailed Michelle Talenda at NOVA about taking Biochem online last May, and she replied "That is fine since there is no lab requirement for biochem. As a matter of fact the director recommended that if you do take an online biochem, that you take it at Univ. of New England. There’s is supposed to be good." Anyway, I would double check just to make sure that's still the policy, but it sounds like they prefer the UNE course if you take it online. Hope that helps...

I emailed Michelle Talenda at NOVA about taking Biochem online last May, and she replied "That is fine since there is no lab requirement for biochem. As a matter of fact the director recommended that if you do take an online biochem, that you take it at Univ. of New England. There's is supposed to be good." Anyway, I would double check just to make sure that's still the policy, but it sounds like they prefer the UNE course if you take it online. Hope that helps...

Thank you! When I called and asked last week Michelle was not in, so I think the secretary was a little unsure.

You are from Tennessee? I lived there for four years during undergrad. Sometimes I miss it. I liked the mountains and all the outdoors stuff, and also the nice people. South Florida...is...different. Lol....much different.

KNC, I am sure it will be rough being away from your daughter for awhile, but I think you are doing what is best. I don't have a child of my own, but from what I understand (my bf has a little sister in middle school) the schools down here are either hit or miss, and the "hits" are the expensive private schools.

Thank you! When I called and asked last week Michelle was not in, so I think the secretary was a little unsure.
Michelle left a few months ago, so she would not be the best person to try and contact... :p

I was told UNE's Biochem is acceptable and am just finishing up the course and preparing for the Final.

I don't have a child of my own, but from what I understand (my bf has a little sister in middle school) the schools down here are either hit or miss, and the "hits" are the expensive private schools.
Well, the public schools in Fishhawk Ranch are top notch, but as you pointed out, that's a fairly long way from campus. I am actually more worried about travelling to the rotations than campus...

You are from Tennessee? I lived there for four years during undergrad. Sometimes I miss it. I liked the mountains and all the outdoors stuff, and also the nice people. South Florida...is...different. Lol....much different.

KNC, I am sure it will be rough being away from your daughter for awhile, but I think you are doing what is best. I don't have a child of my own, but from what I understand (my bf has a little sister in middle school) the schools down here are either hit or miss, and the "hits" are the expensive private schools.

Actually, I grew up in south Florida (Ft. Myers) and I went to college and now live in TN. But I am in Memphis, so no mountains here. I agree, they are so very different!! I love Florida though (especially the weather... I hate winter), I hope to get back there someday. AAs can't work in TN though, so I'll have to leave at some point soon! =) You'll get used to FL, don't worry!

Well, the public schools in Fishhawk Ranch are top notch, but as you pointed out, that's a fairly long way from campus. I am actually more worried about travelling to the rotations than campus...

Yeah, travel here is just difficult regardless. I still hate that it takes 30 minutes to drive 3-4 miles, but...I guess that is just how it is. I know some people in the MPH, DO, PT programs that live in Miami and drive up everyday....that must be horrible. Plus, the way some people drive down here is scary...very scary.

Actually, I grew up in south Florida (Ft. Myers) and I went to college and now live in TN. But I am in Memphis, so no mountains here. I agree, they are so very different!! I love Florida though (especially the weather... I hate winter), I hope to get back there someday. AAs can't work in TN though, so I'll have to leave at some point soon! =) You'll get used to FL, don't worry![/QUOTE

I never got a chance to get to Memphis, but I heard it was a lot of fun and had some pretty unique areas. We have a wedding to go to in Virginia this spring, so we are taking a little road trip, and I want to get back to TN, at least for a few days.

Maybe AA's will be able to practice in TN soon? I am sure they don't now just because a lot of people haven't made the push for them there.

Plus, the way some people drive down here is scary...very scary.
Ever hear of a Florida lane change? It's when a blind as a bat senior pulls part way into a lane and drives that way for a while. If no contact with other cars happens, the lane is clear and the change completed...

congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted into their programs! i'll be attending south's AA program in june, and i'm just wondering if anyone has any info on the savannah area (living downtown vs. southside vs. the islands, any info on apartment complexes, etc) ... this forum has tons of info about nova, and i know there must be some south bound students out there who just haven't posted. speak now or forever hold your peace...

Ever hear of a Florida lane change? It's when a blind as a bat senior pulls part way into a lane and drives that way for a while. If no contact with other cars happens, the lane is clear and the change completed...

That's funny you say that, I witnessed one last night on I-75 when an Oldie pulled into the middle lane doing about 45 mph and cut off a semi.
This sparked a discussion with my girlfriend about how in retiree' states like Florida they should re-evaluate senior citizens ability to drive every 2 years over 65.

Anyways, I have an interview next Fri. I hope you guys didn't take up all the spots!

Sorry Endee, not quite. Not trying to pee farther (just helping with the facts) but Tampa is almost double the pop. of Ft. Lauderdale and only behind Miami and Orlando in passengers/yr. Ft. Lauderdale is however tops in the fastest growing airport though in the nation, I can only assume the pop. is not far behind.

Sorry Endee, not quite. Not trying to pee farther (just helping with the facts) but Tampa is almost double the pop. of Ft. Lauderdale and only behind Miami and Orlando in passengers/yr. Ft. Lauderdale is however tops in the fastest growing airport though in the nation, I can only assume the pop. is not far behind.

As a city, maybe, but I chose my words carefully, because FtL is part of the Miami Metro.. Therefore, Ft Lauderdale airport is also a gateway to Miami, but I didn't know that Tampa airport was busier.

As a city, maybe, but I chose my words carefully, because FtL is part of the Miami Metro.. Therefore, Ft Lauderdale airport is also a gateway to Miami, but I didn't know that Tampa airport was busier.

And I'll add more expensive ......(Tampa).

That happens every day on my commute. Now I know what to call it other then the usual four letter words I use. Also, one thing to watch out for are the parking lots full of senior citizens at the grocery stores on Sundays. Between the cars, carts, and walkers...its a wonder I survive sometimes...j/k

congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted into their programs! i'll be attending south's AA program in june, and i'm just wondering if anyone has any info on the savannah area (living downtown vs. southside vs. the islands, any info on apartment complexes, etc) ... this forum has tons of info about nova, and i know there must be some south bound students out there who just haven't posted. speak now or forever hold your peace...

Congratulations! :D

I have decided to go to Emory University coming this August. Now got to think about where I'm going to stay, and the whole transition to the south..

I have decided to go to Emory University coming this August. Now got to think about where I'm going to stay, and the whole transition to the south..

Jacket - When did you hear from Emory?

Congrats!!:banana:
Where are you moving from?

Im glad changing bed pans makes one more qualified to give anesthesia than one that worked on Wall Street. I can imagine the brain power that it takes to master classes like: "The Foundations of Nursing," "Techniques in Patient Care," "XXXXX Nursing Fundamentals." Those are far more detailed than the idiot classes like Organic Chem, Physics, and biochemistry.

I reference my comment in the Anesthesiology forum.

I am ready to fight. Let the propaganda begin. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
thought you all might be interested in this... i don't even have words to describe my reaction to the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20090224/pl_usnw/new_anesthesia_provider_may_threaten_operating_room_safety

Little does the imbred who wrote the article know, AA's can practice in 17 states, not 10...and besides, we are in a shortage of anesthesia providers, so if CRNA's are sooo qualified and claim to be the equivalent of an anesthesiologist MD, why can't they fulfill that need? If they don't need the supervision of an MD, they're technically claiming to have the same level of education and expertise as an MD. I'm sorry, but if you're a an anesthesiologist, who's gone to school for God knows how long, and has the extensive training required to administer anesthesia, the last thing you need is someone with "bed pan training" to stand next to you and claim to be equal and not need you around. Please...CRNA's really need a reality check...they're just mad cuz they had to go to school longer and we'll be getting paid the same rate. If they had known about the opportunity of becoming an AA before they trained to wipe asses, I'm sure they would've taken it as well!

Little does the imbred who wrote the article know, AA's can practice in 17 states, not 10...and besides, we are in a shortage of anesthesia providers, so if CRNA's are sooo qualified and claim to be the equivalent of an anesthesiologist MD, why can't they fulfill that need? If they don't need the supervision of an MD, they're technically claiming to have the same level of education and expertise as an MD. I'm sorry, but if you're a an anesthesiologist, who's gone to school for God knows how long, and has the extensive training required to administer anesthesia, the last thing you need is someone with "bed pan training" to stand next to you and claim to be equal and not need you around. Please...CRNA's really need a reality check...they're just mad cuz they had to go to school longer and we'll be getting paid the same rate. If they had known about the opportunity of becoming an AA before they trained to wipe asses, I'm sure they would've taken it as well!

:lol:

thought you all might be interested in this... i don't even have words to describe my reaction to the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20090224/pl_usnw/new_anesthesia_provider_may_threaten_operating_room_safety

I guess this person is a nurse. I also guess this person would also say a NP is more qualified than an PA to practice. And if she/he was from Boston the red sox would better than the Yankees. I have the utmost respect for nurses. They are overworked and under appreciated. They should be respected. It is always funny to me when people make arguments and pretend to be noble. The issue in the article is all about money/jobs and who gets them. They should just keep it real; they Don't want to lose jobs to a new energized profession. AAs are like illegal immigrants to CRNAs. BTW most of my family are/were illegal immigrants. Must be why I am drawn to AAs.

But seriously. I have been an RT (ER,ICU,bronchoscopy)for four years. I don't know that an RN with two years experience would be more qualified to practice anesthesia after completing a NA program than me after I completed an AA program.

The author does make a point though. If AAs are to continue expanding may studies on their safety record should be published to help solidify their position in the medical community. If the numbers are bad AAs should show an effort to make them better.

It's all about money though. Nurses look out for each other as a profession.

hey guys,
just wanted to let you know i had an interview last Friday and got the acceptance call this week for the NOVA Tampa campus. YAHTZEE!!

hey guys,
just wanted to let you know i had an interview last Friday and got the acceptance call this week for the NOVA Tampa campus. YAHTZEE!!

Congrats Tea,

Welcome to the club...sign up on the facebook page for the Nova class of 2011......

Thanks.

It seems like the postings have dropped off. Has anybody else received acceptances? Is anybody still waiting for an interview? Has anyone been denied? Just curious...

Thanks.

It seems like the postings have dropped off. Has anybody else received acceptances? Is anybody still waiting for an interview? Has anyone been denied? Just curious...

Tea - There are more interviews on March 27th. That's when mine is anyway. Can you offer any advice for the interview...or insight? Did you get any feel for how many they are accepting? Did you choose Tampa?

Thanks - I'm getting really excited!

Joystar. Here's what i'll tell you. Go in with confidence that you will get the position and most importantly RELAX! I know its easier said than done but I honestly feel they have you there just to see who YOU are and how you respond to very basic questions that relate to your personality. You are not there to break down your transcripts to them or defend your "C" in biochemistry, i'm sure they did that already and that's why you are there in the first place. During my interview process everybody seemed way too uptight and it reflected after they walked out of their interviews because they didn't like the way it went. I thought mine went great. I don't want to tell you exactly what happened during the day or what they ask because I think its important that people don't know what to expect, its helps the admissions with the interview process. Oh, you get muffins and coffee for breakfast. Good luck.
BTW I chose Tampa.

Last edited:
Joystar. Here's what i'll tell you. Go in with confidence that you will get the position and most importantly RELAX! I know its easier said than done but I honestly feel they have you there just to see who YOU are and how you respond to very basic questions that relate to your personality. You are not there to break down your transcripts to them or defend your "C" in biochemistry, i'm sure they did that already and that's why you are there in the first place. During my interview process everybody seemed way too uptight and it reflected after they walked out of their interviews because they didn't like the way it went. I thought mine went great. I don't want to tell you exactly what happened during the day or what they ask because I think its important that people don't know what to expect, its helps the admissions with the interview process. Oh, you get muffins and coffee for breakfast. Good luck.
BTW I chose Tampa.

Thanks tea! If you don't mind me asking....what is your gre/gpa? Undergrad background?
Also, they asked me to bring a resume...did you bring a CV of sorts?
How long did the day take?

Thanks tea! If you don't mind me asking....what is your gre/gpa? Undergrad background?
Also, they asked me to bring a resume...did you bring a CV of sorts?
How long did the day take?

The day takes around 6 or 7 hours.

Bring a CV with your experience, education, accomplishments, honors, etc.