those accepted or thinking about going to UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing about UHS a lot lately, can someone who is accepted or thiniking about UHS tell me some general information about thhe school. For those accepted, why UHS? for those thinking about attending ( or hoping to attend ) what attracted you to the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to two schools and I chose UHS over TUCOM for several reasons. Here they are in no specific order

- I am from California and though I love it here, the cost of living is almost overwhelming, KC is much more manageable.

- I really fell in love with the curriculum. My learning is enforced by reality. Since UHS groups their classes together in a systems based approach, I can study everything related to a single system at one time.

- While TUCOM has a much smaller class size, I felt a stronger sense of community at UHS. The people there seemed to have a genuine interest in how their peers are doing. Also, there seemed to be much more study space on campus. (I plan on studying a lot on campus.) After the new addition is complete, there will be an entire three story building totally devoted to providing study space.

- The campus is beautiful. The only degree offered is the DO. At TUCOM they will be adding a full univ (undergraduate and graduate) over the next several years. I didn't want to have to deal with the distraction of mass amounts of people and construction.

That's about it, but if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Russell

The campus itself is beautiful and relatively new. The surrounding area is pretty ghetto.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the comments guys, I just wondered what led to people's decisions for attending UHS. What are most people's stats who get accepted there???

Originally posted by Old Yeller
The campus itself is beautiful and relatively new. The surrounding area is pretty ghetto.

That's what I meant. Have you been on Touro's campus? It is a former military base and looks it. I won't be spending my time at the corner store, I'll be on campus or at home. Not spending 2 hours of my day commuting to and from somewhere where my family can afford to live.

UHS was my very first interview. I was accepted there and at DMU, but have quite a few interviews left to go to. I chose to put my deposit down at DMU and not at UHS for a few reasons:

1. UHS wants $1000 (non-refundable) 4 weeks after they accept you to hold your seat and then another $1000 (non-refundable) in March. For most other schools their deposits are partially refundable and much less money. Coming up with $1000 in a few weeks for a school I wasn't quite sure I wanted to attend didn't seem very smart.

2. I don't like the dress code at UHS---shirt and slacks or scrubs while on campus.

3. UHS seemed like a business to me rather than a medical school dedicated to training doctors. The tuition there is $30,000+ and rising. The school administrators aren't DO's, they are lawyers. The class size is huge (230)--giving me the impression that the more students attending there, the more money they make. At my interview, one of the administrators said they've had interview days where every interviewee has been accepted to the school. I thought UHS was desperate for students.

4. The school is in a rough neighborhood.

5. UHS does not have any other programs associated with the school--just a DO degree. For me personally, I prefer a more hetereogenous student body on campus.

Just my 2 centados.

P.S. I think the stats for accepted students is like 3.3 and 24. Mine are 3.5 and 25.

I graduated from UHS.
Though the CEO/President is a JD, she essentially raises money for the university and deals with the business aspect. The rest of the program is run by DO's, PhD's etc. Certainly, it has a business feel to it...but the school has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past 5 years, something must be going ok.

The campus is nice and new...the neighborhood used to be worse. I think it is MUCH better now...much much better. I mean deal with it, you are in a city!?
Tuition...too high, but it has probably reached a summit...that is the biggest drawback.

Residency placement is great. My class got some outstanding residencies all over the nation (allopathic and osteopathic). Great reputation nationwide (just tell them Kansas City, then the attendings go "oh yeah, they put out some great residents")

I loved the fact that only medical students attend...you didn't have to deal with younger less focused students running around or clogging up the library. It is focused on medical curriculum.

Originally posted by jmanwaring
UHS was my very first interview. I was accepted there and at DMU, but have quite a few interviews left to go to. I chose to put my deposit down at DMU and not at UHS for a few reasons:

1. UHS wants $1000 (non-refundable) 4 weeks after they accept you to hold your seat and then another $1000 (non-refundable) in March. For most other schools their deposits are partially refundable and much less money. Coming up with $1000 in a few weeks for a school I wasn't quite sure I wanted to attend didn't seem very smart.

2. I don't like the dress code at UHS---shirt and slacks or scrubs while on campus.

3. UHS seemed like a business to me rather than a medical school dedicated to training doctors. The tuition there is $30,000+ and rising. The school administrators aren't DO's, they are lawyers. The class size is huge (230)--giving me the impression that the more students attending there, the more money they make. At my interview, one of the administrators said they've had interview days where every interviewee has been accepted to the school. I thought UHS was desperate for students.

4. The school is in a rough neighborhood.

5. UHS does not have any other programs associated with the school--just a DO degree. For me personally, I prefer a more hetereogenous student body on campus.

Just my 2 centados.

P.S. I think the stats for accepted students is like 3.3 and 24. Mine are 3.5 and 25.

1. $1000 4 weeks after interview is better than $2000 2 weeks after interview (TUCOM), talk about pressure. I think you'll find UHS's deposit pretty standard. There are a few that are 500 or OSU which is like 100. And consider that this all goes towards tuition, so as long as you choose wisely, you won't lose any money.

2. Well, you can look professional or like a slob. I prefer the former. People usually perform better academically when they dress more professionally. If you don't like wearing slacks and a shirt, then wear scrubs. It's like going to class in pajamas.

3. Tuition is pretty comprable to most other private institutions. MSU is like $38,000 for out of state residents. As far as enrollment, the AOA is pretty strict about a school's enrollment. They came down hard on UHS for the class of 2005 which is huge (~250). I think the size of the class is fairly manageable considering the resources on campus. I asked students about this when I interviewed. The only problem that any of them stated was the cadaver sharing. Having two groups (at separate times) per cadaver cut down on dissection work, but if the person who dissected didn't do a good job you are stuck with their sloppiness.

4. The security looked pretty prominent without being in the way. The only worry here is walking to apartments (although Century Towers shares space with the police and fire dept.), and car security. I don't plan on bringing a lexus to school so I think I'll be ok. If you think UHS is in a bad hood, check out USC (so. central la).

5. As stated in my previous post, I like this. It tells me that the faculty and staff are committed to my education. I don't have to share libraries and computer space with greasy college freshmen. UHS does offer a MPH through one of the other local colleges.