Thomas Jefferson vs. Boston University vs. Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaltenel

Reaction score
I've been fortunate to be accepted into these three schools. It would be great to hear advice on your comparison. I’m a VA resident, so cost is obviously a factor in favor of VCU. I don’t know what specialty I want to do but possibly a competitive specialty. I believe I’d ultimately like to do my residency in the DC area - but that could definitely change within the next four years. I'm not sure where I lean at the moment.

Thomas Jefferson:
PROS
- Strong community feel with students that seem actually happy and excited to be part of the community
- Located within an attractive part of Philadelphia, which is larger than both Richmond and Boston and cheaper than Boston
- Diverse patient population in the Philadelphia area
- Decently ranked and highly regarded in orthopedics, ophthalmology, and a few other specialties
- Appealing and well established curriculum with embedded research opportunities

CONS
- More expensive than in-state tuition
- Not as well regarded as BU and less prestigious match list (or so it seems)
- Large class size
- Student body itself is not very diverse

Boston University:
PROS
- Social justice oriented school with exposure to what seems to be the widest range of patients
- More research opportunities related to public health and social determinants
- More global health opportunities
- Located in a city with lots of young people and ample healthcare related opportunities
- Strongest match list of the three (I believe?)

CONS
- Most expensive tuition. Boston is also more expensive than Philadelphia
- I would be in the first class with systems based curriculum, which is bound to have troubles
- Student body seems less enthused than those at the other two schools

Virginia Commonwealth University:
PROS
- Cheaper by over 100k and in a less expensive city
- Very close to family and some friends in the area
- Students seem friendly and less "gunner" like

CONS
- Not as well regarded as the other two, which could limit residency options in the future in more competitive residencies
- Richmond is a much smaller and less exciting city, and it appeals to me less as a city than the other two
- Less well established volunteer opportunities, especially with more of a social justice orientation
- Less research opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who just matched plastics at Stanford out of VCU, I think it is what you make of it friend. If debt is of concern, go to VCU. If it isn't, BU and SKMC are both great options -- seems like they both have pretty even pro's and con's tbh. Sorry I can't provide more insight!