This year or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sconnybarry132

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am simply looking for advice.
I have wanted to pursue PA school since the begininning if junior year. I have worked hard academically, gained much clinical experience, and volunteering. However, I just recently shadowed my family doctor and she may have convinced me to just go for the MD.

My stats are:

Cell/Molecular Biology major

3.5 cGPA
3.4 sGPA
No MCAT yet (planned on taking the GRE this spring)

~1000 hours working as a CNA in both a nursing home and on the medical floor of the hospital
~200 hours volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters
~50 hours volunteering in the pediatric department at my local hospital

~200 hours shadowing a PA in the ER
~10 hours shadowing my primary care physician

Currently working on a capstone research project looking at molecular genetics of bobcat parasites

Played club baseball my first two years of college

Play intramural sports throughout the year

Also apart of the Ski/Snowboard Club

SO, here’s my dilemma....
I think I want to pursue an MD instead of a PA. As I really think about it, I really don’t want to regret not pursuing an MD ~10-20 years after working as a PA, which is literally my BIGGEST fear. However, I would also be open to DO schools, and I plan on shadowing one this semester.
However, I never took OChem 2. I took OChem 1 but then took the survey, in which I received an A but I know med schools do not accept survey courses. I am a senior, planning on graduating in the spring but here is a plan that I would like some advice on!!!
Do I take OChem 1 + 2 this summer and pursue a psychology major to double major in Psych and Biology in my super senior year? During this year, I would accumulate more clinical experience, more volunteer hours, and hopefully boost my GPA to (a max) of 3.67. I would also try to gain research experience at the local hospital in a medically-related research area (hopefully something related to the physiology dementia). I would then apply after this year, hopefully as a competitive applicant.

So what do you guys think? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I am simply looking for advice.
I have wanted to pursue PA school since the begininning if junior year. I have worked hard academically, gained much clinical experience, and volunteering. However, I just recently shadowed my family doctor and she may have convinced me to just go for the MD.

My stats are:

Cell/Molecular Biology major

3.5 cGPA
3.4 sGPA
No MCAT yet (planned on taking the GRE this spring)

~1000 hours working as a CNA in both a nursing home and on the medical floor of the hospital
~200 hours volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters
~50 hours volunteering in the pediatric department at my local hospital

~200 hours shadowing a PA in the ER
~10 hours shadowing my primary care physician

Currently working on a capstone research project looking at molecular genetics of bobcat parasites

Played club baseball my first two years of college

Play intramural sports throughout the year

Also apart of the Ski/Snowboard Club

SO, here’s my dilemma....
I think I want to pursue an MD instead of a PA. As I really think about it, I really don’t want to regret not pursuing an MD ~10-20 years after working as a PA, which is literally my BIGGEST fear. However, I would also be open to DO schools, and I plan on shadowing one this semester.
However, I never took OChem 2. I took OChem 1 but then took the survey, in which I received an A but I know med schools do not accept survey courses. I am a senior, planning on graduating in the spring but here is a plan that I would like some advice on!!!
Do I take OChem 1 + 2 this summer and pursue a psychology major to double major in Psych and Biology in my super senior year? During this year, I would accumulate more clinical experience, more volunteer hours, and hopefully boost my GPA to (a max) of 3.67. I would also try to gain research experience at the local hospital in a medically-related research area (hopefully something related to the physiology dementia). I would then apply after this year, hopefully as a competitive applicant.

So what do you guys think? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Getting your cGPA to 3.67 would be optimal for MD school applications, but you also need to consider how high your BCPM GPA (sGPA+math) would rise, as that's the more important parameter for adcomms. A double major or minor isn't necessary, unless you need that as an excuse to stay in school, but most psych classes are not going to have an impact on your sGPA. Have you figured out yet how high it would rise given your current plan?

Assuming your bobcat research is based on the scientific method, you don't need additional research experience that's "medically-related."

Aim for a total of 50-ish hours of MD/DO shadowing, particularly including primary care.

#1 - if that avatar is actually of you, I'd replace it with something generic.

I really don’t want to regret not pursuing an MD ~10-20 years after working as a PA, which is literally my BIGGEST fear.
#2 - you ever think that you may regret choosing MD over PA? What is it that this PCP said that suddenly changed your conviction? PA is still a very good career with tons of opportunities, good pay, freedom of practice, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then why be a doctor:confused:
With less hours and less malpractice comes lower salary. A PA never runs a surgery. They never diagnose primary sclerosing cholangitis. For many looking for a career in medicine, PA is the goldilocks for patient care. Less grunt work than a nurse, less responsibility than an MD.

Autonomy, ultimate decision-making as to a course of action, and more complete understanding of the basic sciences behind medicine and the reasons Why we do what we do.

I think this is essentially what it came down to, autonomy. I love the thought of running my own practice someday, in sports medicine and orthopedics, and just being "the Doc". I think that is ultimately the influence my primary care physician had on me...

Getting your cGPA to 3.67 would be optimal for MD school applications, but you also need to consider how high your BCPM GPA (sGPA+math) would rise, as that's the more important parameter for adcomms. A double major or minor isn't necessary, unless you need that as an excuse to stay in school, but most psych classes are not going to have an impact on your sGPA. Have you figured out yet how high it would rise given your current plan?

Assuming your bobcat research is based on the scientific method, you don't need additional research experience that's "medically-related."

Aim for a total of 50-ish hours of MD/DO shadowing, particularly including primary care.

The only thing is I haven't taken OChem 2.... so I would have to take that in the summer regardless if I stayed in school next year or not. And with my current plan, if I can finish out this semester with all A's (3 science courses), I will finish with a 3.51 overall sGPA. Would it be silly to graduate and then take OChem 2 in the summer to finish off my prereqs? My Biochem professor is the summer session instructor so I am not completely opposed (super cool, super helpful prof), but I just feel as if I am pushing my time a little bit to apply for med schools this summer (especially since I still have to take the MCAT and shadow) and maybe should just settle for applying to PA school.

I should also mention that I am a first generation college student.... Neither my parents nor my 2 older brothers went to college. I'm also a Wisconsin resident, going to school in Minnesota.

The only thing is I haven't taken OChem 2.... so I would have to take that in the summer regardless if I stayed in school next year or not. And with my current plan, if I can finish out this semester with all A's (3 science courses), I will finish with a 3.51 overall sGPA.
1) Would it be silly to graduate and then take OChem 2 in the summer to finish off my prereqs? My Biochem professor is the summer session instructor so I am not completely opposed (super cool, super helpful prof), but
2) I just feel as if I am pushing my time a little bit to apply for med schools this summer (especially since I still have to take the MCAT and shadow) and maybe should just settle for applying to PA school.
1) If you graduate and then take additional coursework requirements/recommendations or upper-level Bio to raise your sGPA further, it wouldn't make a difference to the undergrad GPA generated by the application service (though the postbac classes would appear on their own line rather than being merged with senior year grades). But one potential deterrent would be losing registration priority to get into the classes you want.

2) Don't rush a med school application. Grades earned after applying would not be applied to your AMCAS application's transcript or GPA. You would have to inform schools individually of any grades earned, and they will not recalculate your GPAs. Also, you will want to apply early in the cycle, like June-ish or July, not August or later, to get the optimal consideration by MD schools.

DO schools, OTOH, do give you windows of opportunity for updating your application with new grades. And applying toward the end of the summer isn't a negative.

Reactions: 1 user
1) If you graduate and then take additional coursework requirements/recommendations or upper-level Bio to raise your sGPA further, it wouldn't make a difference to the undergrad GPA generated by the application service (though the postbac classes would appear on their own line rather than being merged with senior year grades). But one potential deterrent would be losing registration priority to get into the classes you want.

2) Don't rush a med school application. Grades earned after applying would not be applied to your AMCAS application's transcript or GPA. You would have to inform schools individually of any grades earned, and they will not recalculate your GPAs. Also, you will want to apply early in the cycle, like June-ish or July, not August or later, to get the optimal consideration by MD schools.

DO schools, OTOH, do give you windows of opportunity for updating your application with new grades. And applying toward the end of the summer isn't a negative.

So given my current situation, I have Biochem 1 under my belt while taking biochem 2 now, also with an Organic Chem 1 and Organic Chemistry Survey course. I see many schools requirements are Ochem 1 and OChem 2 OR Biochem can be substituted for Ochem 2. Taking the MCAT, and getting in to shadow my doctor a few more hours as well as shadowing a DO the rest of this semester... would it be reasonable to apply this summer? Do you think I have enough EC's, good enough GPA, and (hopefully) a good MCAT score to apply this summer and take a gap year next year (instead of the additional coursework)?

Thank you for getting back to me on this btw! =)

So given my current situation, I have Biochem 1 under my belt while taking biochem 2 now, also with an Organic Chem 1 and Organic Chemistry Survey course. I see many schools requirements are Ochem 1 and OChem 2 OR Biochem can be substituted for Ochem 2. Taking the MCAT, and getting in to shadow my doctor a few more hours as well as shadowing a DO the rest of this semester... would it be reasonable to apply this summer? Do you think I have enough EC's, good enough GPA, and (hopefully) a good MCAT score to apply this summer and take a gap year next year (instead of the additional coursework)?

Thank you for getting back to me on this btw! =)
Your ECs would be good enough with the extra shadowing I mentioned. I'd have more concerns about your GPAs for MD schools in the absense of a steep recent upward grade trend and strong MCAT score, especially if you plan to take the test at the end of the summer so you can dedicate a lot of study time to it. But you'd likely be fine for DO med schools if you want to apply summer 2018.

Your ECs would be good enough with the extra shadowing I mentioned. I'd have more concerns about your GPAs for MD schools in the absense of a steep recent upward grade trend and strong MCAT score, especially if you plan to take the test at the end of the summer so you can dedicate a lot of study time to it. But you'd likely be fine for DO med schools if you want to apply summer 2018.

I have made the Dean's List my junior + senior semesters (last 3 semesters), so there is a little upward trend, but I don't think it would be significant enough (unless I finish this semester with a 4.0 maybe?). I am just nervous about the OChem 2... many schools require that. Do you recommend contacting these potential schools to see if Biochem 1 and 2 could be a substitution?

I have made the Dean's List my junior + senior semesters (last 3 semesters), so there is a little upward trend, but I don't think it would be significant enough (unless I finish this semester with a 4.0 maybe?). I am just nervous about the OChem 2... many schools require that. Do you recommend contacting these potential schools to see if Biochem 1 and 2 could be a substitution?
School websites and the MSAR (and the DO CIB) will give you the information about whether Biochem can be substituted for OChem 2. This is true for many MD schools and some DO schools. You need to be sure those you plan to target are among them. If not, you can proceed with the plan to take OChem 2 over the summer after you graduate (or delay graduation).

I never heard of survey classes, what is that?
MSAR will tell you everything about the requirements. I would buy that and use it to make a decision.

Survey is just basically the basic concepts and lab procedures of Organic Chem. Engineering, environmental science, ect. majors at my university are required to take it. I got a C in OChem 1 and took the survey course the 2nd semester and got an A, but it doesn't technically count as OChem 2.

School websites and the MSAR (and the DO CIB) will give you the information about whether Biochem can be substituted for OChem 2. This is true for many MD schools and some DO schools. You need to be sure those you plan to target are among them. If not, you can proceed with the plan to take OChem 2 over the summer after you graduate (or delay graduation).

If I did delay graduation, I wouldn't have any classes to take in the fall since they do not offer OChem 2 until spring semester. Would it be reasonable to just take it after graduation in the summer, and wait an entire year to boost my application? I would prefer MD over DO, but I would settle for DO. I just don't necessarily want to do primary care.. and I have heard it is hard for DO's to land placement in an MD residency.

If I did delay graduation, I wouldn't have any classes to take in the fall since they do not offer OChem 2 until spring semester. Would it be reasonable to just take it after graduation in the summer, and wait an entire year to boost my application? I would prefer MD over DO, but I would settle for DO. I just don't necessarily want to do primary care.. and I have heard it is hard for DO's to land placement in an MD residency.
To have your best shot at MD, providing you can earn As, it would be reasonable to take OChem 2 over the summer, then in the fall (and maybe spring) take additional math and science classes to raise your BCPM GPA, have plenty of time to study for the MCAT, and further augment your ECs, before applying in June 2019.