this rash is driving me crazy!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TacoGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so just kidding.

I just got my step score the other day and its was pretty good (258). I'm thinking about what to do in life now. I've looked into some specialties but am interested in derm. I have no research whatsoever. Additionally, I have shown no prior interest in the field (no shadowing, joining an interest group,ect). Should I even bother at this point (third year) or is there still a chance that if this is right for me I could pull it off?

It just seems like most people who want to do derm have wanted it for years. It just never occurred to me before but now fourth year is coming and eventually I'm going to have to find where I fit.

Members don't see this ad.

at least I hope I am right in saying this (since I didn't really commit to derm until my last 2 months of 3rd year), heck your prob better off than me :). Your board score meets their requirements, as long as you have good grades as well (with a step that high, I assume you do), you have a shot if you work hard to fill out the rest of your application. ANY free time you have, use it to spend some time in the derm dept. (hopefully you have a home department). Find out when grand rounds is, go as often as you can, be nice, talk to people when they talk to you, get to know them, see what clinics the residents think would be good for you to shadow/work in... then, inquire about projects you could help out with (i.e. get your name on a paper or two, don't worry, most derm residents are really nice and outgoing, they will want to help you). Do all this while not being overbearing, annoying, cocky, or any of those things that nobody likes to see in someone.

In addition ROCK OUT MS3 b/c many programs like to look at clinical grades moreso than basic science grades, as well as comments in your deans letter from clinical years and the LORs you obtain. You will need at least 2 LORs from derm faculty (don't worry you can get those during MS4 rotations). Do a derm rotation right off the bat 4th year (at your home institution), get advice from faculty about where else to rotate (you'll need at least one more away rotation.... preferably generating at least a LOR there, if not another paper>>"publication"). It is a long road, and I am very early on it (no letters yet, only working on a project, havent applied, who knows if I'll get interviews), but, after 3 weeks on derm, I can tell you, I know it is worth it b/c Dermatology is AWESOME. good luck!

at least I hope I am right in saying this (since I didn't really commit to derm until my last 2 months of 3rd year), heck your prob better off than me :). Your board score meets their requirements, as long as you have good grades as well (with a step that high, I assume you do), you have a shot if you work hard to fill out the rest of your application. ANY free time you have, use it to spend some time in the derm dept. (hopefully you have a home department). Find out when grand rounds is, go as often as you can, be nice, talk to people when they talk to you, get to know them, see what clinics the residents think would be good for you to shadow/work in... then, inquire about projects you could help out with (i.e. get your name on a paper or two, don't worry, most derm residents are really nice and outgoing, they will want to help you). Do all this while not being overbearing, annoying, cocky, or any of those things that nobody likes to see in someone.

In addition ROCK OUT MS3 b/c many programs like to look at clinical grades moreso than basic science grades, as well as comments in your deans letter from clinical years and the LORs you obtain. You will need at least 2 LORs from derm faculty (don't worry you can get those during MS4 rotations). Do a derm rotation right off the bat 4th year (at your home institution), get advice from faculty about where else to rotate (you'll need at least one more away rotation.... preferably generating at least a LOR there, if not another paper>>"publication"). It is a long road, and I am very early on it (no letters yet, only working on a project, havent applied, who knows if I'll get interviews), but, after 3 weeks on derm, I can tell you, I know it is worth it b/c Dermatology is AWESOME. good luck!

That brings up a question I had concerning LORs... I too am at the end of my 3rd year and seriously considering derm. Is it possible to get enough decent letters (i.e. having spent enough time with the doc so they can write something other than the generic cut-and-paste your name letter) from just 4th year electives? Is there enough time to get them if you did several electives in a row right from the start of 4th year? This really applies to any specialty I suppose, but I'm just concerned because I don't have a home derm department and will be behind in the game. Is this possible? I am getting a letter from an internist from 3rd year but that's about it. Thanks.

That brings up a question I had concerning LORs... I too am at the end of my 3rd year and seriously considering derm. Is it possible to get enough decent letters (i.e. having spent enough time with the doc so they can write something other than the generic cut-and-paste your name letter) from just 4th year electives? Is there enough time to get them if you did several electives in a row right from the start of 4th year? This really applies to any specialty I suppose, but I'm just concerned because I don't have a home derm department and will be behind in the game. Is this possible? I am getting a letter from an internist from 3rd year but that's about it. Thanks.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
Like you said you are behind in the game first by not having a home derm department, and second because of this you haven't had a chance to do derm rotations until 4th year. But all is not lost, you have until about Nov 1 when your dean's letter comes out and application becomes completely download by programs to get more letters by dermies in. LORs by derms is very important you must get them so get cracking. Letters from other fields is not enough.