Thinking of proceeding with dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeriDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying of thinking about taking up dentistry. It's actually my main choice, however there are moments that I'm thinking of going with Psychology. If I were to ask you, what's the best and worst thing about studying dentistry (and probably what happens after)?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion it's an ocean of opportunities when you good work. simply speaking its a study combined with art. you need to have good communication skills too for excel in the profession. even to decide the profession you want to choose depends on the country you live and the degree of saturation. you can ask me at my pm [email protected]
thanks.
regards,
satyadev

Dentistry is a great profession and I'm glad that I have went through with it. The main thing is you have to enjoy working with your hands and be able to derive satisfaction from the work you accomplished.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental School lol.

Reactions: 1 user
D1 here. Make sure you understand how intense D-school is...otherwise the profession is great

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most intense (like super intense to the point of giving up LOL), how intense was it for you?

The two professions could not be more dissimilar: in one you are working with your hands, in another you are talking all day long. PhD in psychology requires extensive research and excellent writing skills as well as an ability to pose good questions.

I would say there is quite a bit of psychology in terms of dealing with patients and other people in an intimate setting (being a foot away from someone's face constantly). But they are very different fields. If doing something because it is too "intense" will deter you then definitely should consider something easier. Dental School is all what you make it. If you can handle stress/deadlines well, use your hands and be able to talk to people then dental school will be fine. I was in the army for 4 years and deployed to Afghanistan for a year where I was mortared every other day. Project deadlines and exams don't bother me one bit lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I would say there is quite a bit of psychology in terms of dealing with patients and other people in an intimate setting (being a foot away from someone's face constantly). But they are very different fields. If doing something because it is too "intense" will deter you then definitely should consider something easier. Dental School is all what you make it. If you can handle stress/deadlines well, use your hands and be able to talk to people then dental school will be fine. I was in the army for 4 years and deployed to Afghanistan for a year where I was mortared every other day. Project deadlines and exams don't bother me one bit lol.
He's not kidding, folks. This guy is the real deal.

Reactions: 2 users
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most intense (like super intense to the point of giving up LOL), how intense was it for you?

Intensity level depends on where you are in the school year and stuff. D1 hovered around a 6 and spiked to an 8 around exams. D2 hovered around an 8 and spiked to a 10 around exams. D3 intensity level is currently in the 3-4 range and goes to like a 5 for exams.

Intensity level depends on where you are in the school year and stuff. D1 hovered around a 6 and spiked to an 8 around exams. D2 hovered around an 8 and spiked to a 10 around exams. D3 intensity level is currently in the 3-4 range and goes to like a 5 for exams.
So true. I'd say it definitely varies based on your individual skills, too. Some people are naturally gifted memorizers and excel in the didactic, lecture based material, whereas the "hand skill" component may come more naturally to others.

I'm good with deadlines. But with exams...well, not really.

I know dentistry and psychology seems so far fetched with each other. But reading people based on how they act feels natural for me. However I've always wanted to be a dentist.

D1 was a 5 for me in intensity. D2 so far has been a 3-4. Obviously it spikes with exams and finals, but it's really not that bad.

Nah, dental school is about a 3 all the time.

Oh wait jk, 3 is when I go to bed everyday.

Reactions: 2 users

You go to bed at a 3? that's pretty good. These days, especially this year, i'm still somewhat stressed when I go to bed. haha.

OP..depends on the person and the school I think. Last year I was better at didactics and my hand skills were terrible, so I always stressed out with preclinical projects. This year, my hand skills have gotten way better and I actually like the preclinical stuff we are doing this year. So I don't stress out about those anymore. Now I just stress out about all the exams I have to take.

But what would you rate undergrad / taking the DAT?
About the same. Maybe 1 "point" lower.

It's just been my experience that when you aren't aiming to specialize the stress of dental school isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

There are certainly concentrated moments of high stress. We had a 5 week stretch with 2-4 tests every week, and that was a stressful time. But I look back and realize how much time I spend doing non-dental school things.

If you're going to strive for all As, however, you will find your dental school experience much different than mine.

If you're going to strive for all As, however, you will find your dental school experience much different than mine.

This, and add on an extra 5 points to the stressed out scale whenever you get an 89.9 in a class.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying of thinking about taking up dentistry. It's actually my main choice, however there are moments that I'm thinking of going with Psychology. If I were to ask you, what's the best and worst thing about studying dentistry (and probably what happens after)?

I was in this EXACT scenario before applying. Heres what I decided having wanted to do both. In psychology, there is ZERO dentistry involved. In dentistry there is MASSIVE amounts of phycology involved. I picked dentistry and I now do both!

Reactions: 1 user
hahaha heard that

I'm starting to feel I would survive dental school. I go to sleep everyday at 3 too. LOL

I was in this EXACT scenario before applying. Heres what I decided having wanted to do both. In psychology, there is ZERO dentistry involved. In dentistry there is MASSIVE amounts of phycology involved. I picked dentistry and I now do both!

That's a great way to convince me! haha