thinking about uro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureurologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. just wanted to know ur opinions/advice

in medical school i never really considered urology and instead went into anesthesiology, which i still love. I ended up doing a general surgery prelim in which i did 3 months of urology and i ended up loving it. i had already matched at a top anesthesia program and am now two years from finishing. I really love anthesiology, but always feel like id be happier doing urology. Im thinking of applying next year to start in 2009 which is perfect because thats when i finish my anesthesiology residency ( i want to finish because i have a personal need to finish what i start philosophy) Most people i have talked to think im insane. (i have not spoken to anyone in my dept and probably wont until im almost done)

I did well in medical school (top quartile, but not AOA) and well on the boards (step 1 244, 237 on step 2 and 239 on step 3) and i could get great lettes of rec from the faculty worked with during my prelim (but there is no residency in urology there). I know urology is a difficult match but any advice would help. I really have no research expericnce and dont want to start at my home program because i dont want to deal with "the evil eye from my dept" and to start being excluded from activities.
thanks for any suggestions/advice

jen

Members don't see this ad.