Thinking About Quitting Anesthesia Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you know of any data that anesthesiologists have significantly better outcomes (whether mortality or otherwise), it would make me feel a whole lot better. And we can all trade anecdotes; I can even give a few where MD anesthesiologists royally screwed up and led to the deaths of young people that never should have died.

You should realize that your harping on this multiple times makes you smell like a CRNA troll. Simply because you, as a CA1, all of the sudden care about outcome studies. You didn't care when you decided to apply for residency? You had no clue about CRNAs? Additionally, as a physician, you should understand why outcome studies aren't necessary and shouldn't be done.

For example, do outcome studies need to be performed b/t PAs, NPs, and MDs working in FM/IM clinics? Why not? Go ahead, setup a study and enroll thousands of patients telling them there's a chance they might never have MD input into their care, but they'll be fine b/c everyone knows 2 years of medical education is the same as 8-10. Right? You're telling me that as a trained medical scientist you never considered how an outcome study would completely jeopardize patient care and therefore couldn't be performed? Go ahead, talk to the PD at your program tell them that you're interested in setting up such a research project. See how well it's received.

You've brought up some great points which have provided needed discussion, but you should be embarrased as a scientist if you can't answer your own question with regards to the need for outcome studies. Like Plank said, simply claiming success if you make it out of surgery alive is not the thinking of a physician. If you've gotten to this point in your career without understanding this point, then there are deeper, more important issues for you to resolve.

Members don't see this ad.

For example, do outcome studies need to be performed b/t PAs, NPs, and MDs working in FM/IM clinics? Why not? Go ahead, setup a study and enroll thousands of patients telling them there's a chance they might never have MD input into their care, but they'll be fine b/c everyone knows 2 years of medical education is the same as 8-10. Right? You're telling me that as a trained medical scientist you never considered how an outcome study would completely jeopardize patient care and therefore couldn't be performed? Go ahead, talk to the PD at your program tell them that you're interested in setting up such a research project. See how well it's received.

:thumbup: As much as I would love to see such studies done, even a first year med student would understand that such studies are unethical.

While blinded, randomized control studies are the ideal, they are sometimes impossible. In those cases, the next best thing is a retrospective study. There is plenty of data out there to be processed from the multitude of cases being performed by CRNA, MD, and team models.

Members don't see this ad :)
While blinded, randomized control studies are the ideal, they are sometimes impossible. In those cases, the next best thing is a retrospective study. There is plenty of data out there to be processed from the multitude of cases being performed by CRNA, MD, and team models.
:laugh:
So, let's see, you are a resident but you suddenly realized that being a physician is worthless and that a nurse can do your job.
You even decided to spread propaganda about physicians causing the death of patients.
But, you are a physician not a nurse (god forbid), and you are doing this because you are sad and you need someone to make you feel better??
Poor thing.
This is getting to be a very amusing thread.

the next best thing is a retrospective study. There is plenty of data out there to be processed from the multitude of cases being performed by CRNA, MD, and team models.

No doubt about it now, CRNA troll. The only groups who I know support the use of retrospective studies to show that midlevels are equal to physicians are the NP's and CRNA's because they believe that retrospective studies are just as good as prospective ones. I find it amusing how they ignore the severe limitations of retrospective studies to make any good conclusions.

Funny, then, that there are plenty of anesthesiologists talking about the UPENN study in the media and in front of legislatures.

Funny, then, that there are plenty of anesthesiologists talking about the UPENN study in the media and in front of legislatures.

There is absolutely no need for a study.
What the nurses do is called "Nurse Anesthesia" it is basically the administration of anesthetics ordered by a physician.
What we do is called Anesthesiology, it is a medical field that includes all the aspects of perioperative medicine, critical care and pain management.
Comparing a medical specialty to what nurses do is inappropriate and therefor can not be studied.
There are new nurses who were mislead by their leadership and told that they are going to be comparable to physicians, these are the same nurses that call their training "residency" and claim that they can do everything a physician can do.
Most of them usually change their attitude after a couple of years of practice and come back to planet earth.

That seals it for me. CRNA troll. Just like terrorists trying new and inventive ways to get at us, the CRNAs are stooping to new levels to infiltrate our board. Very sad but very transparent. If I am wrong (doubt it), then you should quit residency and apply to nursing school.

That seals it for me. CRNA troll. Just like terrorists trying new and inventive ways to get at us, the CRNAs are stooping to new levels to infiltrate our board. Very sad but very transparent. If I am wrong (doubt it), then you should quit residency and apply to nursing school.

I agree, although I think he should be allowed to stay around for a while because he is amusing.

BanHammer.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
If this isn't a troll... thanks for the advice, we know what we're up against.

However, if this is in fact a troll infiltration...

then they need be rest assured that bringing up these topics makes us future residents very wary... Does that dissuade us from the field? Never.

It gives us passion to fight back. Gives us incentive to join the ASA. It create cohesion amongst our colleagues in the field.

An increasing number of "top of the class" applicants are drawn to the field each year. Be careful in the coming years, because one day you will awaken a very angry giant and get more than you bargained for...

:thumbup: :thumbup: CRNA troll indeed...

To the OP, why do this? What does it accomplish?

As an med student I have had the privilege of working with some great CRNAs and I appreciate all of the help early on in my training. That being said, even as a med student I am able to recognize the differences in the general CRNA knowledge base of physiology and general medicine (compared to physicians and even senior residents). There is definitely a need that CRNAs help to fill but everyone needs to embrace their limitations.
(I humbly say all of this because I obviously have not yet matched into anesthesia. However, this thread has brought up some interesting points about the field and I (hopefully) look forward to the day that I may call you all colleagues.)

In the wise words of many asian kids talking trash online =

QQ more n00b!!

I have gotten a lot of PM's asking if I'm a troll or what program I'm at.

Part of what I'm doing is venting (because I really have nowhere else to turn and would be very afraid to say anything), and part of what I'm doing is asking for advice. That said, I really do not want to name names. Alex Rodriguez's court sealed steroid test results just leaked, and nothing I say to anyone (especially over the internet) is 100% secure. It would come back to haunt me. I'm venting and looking for anonymous advice anonymously.

After reading a few more PM's and reflecting further, I think a big part of it is just needing to feel good about what I'm doing and knowing that everything I've gone through and am going through is going to make a difference. Surgeons put in 90 hour weeks, but they also get an incredible sense of accomplishment and seem to have great camaraderie (not that I want to be a surgeon). I feel like my co-residents and I get looked down upon, and that the team is dysfunctional and malignant. I can't stomach it to think that the 8 years, the mountains of loans, the frequent personal debasement, and all these lost evenings and weekends with my family that I will never get back are going to amount to nothing more than some guy who worked 40 hours a week for two years and skated along.

If you know of any data that anesthesiologists have significantly better outcomes (whether mortality or otherwise), it would make me feel a whole lot better. And we can all trade anecdotes; I can even give a few where MD anesthesiologists royally screwed up and led to the deaths of young people that never should have died.

I do enjoy what I'm doing and really don't *WANT* to quit. I just fear that switching might be in the best interest of my marriage and sanity in the short run and sense of purpose and pride in the long run. I worry sometimes that MD anesthesiology is kind of like a phD in english lit. Elegant, scholarly, and admirable... just not very applicable in the real world and probably not worth it if the cost is astronomically high. Someone convince me I'm wrong!

This is verbatim from the AANA website. go away troll. This person is just regurgitating AANA propaganda. Come on moderator grow a pair and remove this clown from the forum.

At my institution the CRNA's introduce themselves to the patients as "I'm your anesthesia provider" As well as refer to the attendings as "MDA's". This frequently confuses the patients into thinking the "MDA" is the nurse/tech and the CRNA "anesthesia provider" is the physician/decision maker. The term "anesthesiologist" or "physician/doctor" is never uttered from their mouth. This contributes to the widely misunderstood notion that anesthesiologist are not doctors but some form of a technician/OR ancillary staff. I make it a point to refer to the CRNA's as "NURSE anesthetists" to the patients rather than using deceivingly confusing acronyms.

As an attending, I will make sure they are introduced as the anesthesia NURSE who will be my ASSISTING me during the case and emphasize that the final say regarding the patient's care rests with me.

Last edited:
Unhappy, you dont see the value of being an anesthesiologist because you arent one yet. you are a ca1. I cant believe you would think you mastered the art of anesthesiology in 7 months to think you can do my job. I never felt this way. I still dont. I think its all hard. fine youve done some cases that didnt require you to call us. great for you great for me and even better for the patient. Do you think you would have been able to handle the situation if any of the catastrophic things that can happen under anesthesia did happen to a patient who is already compromised. DO you think yo uknow enough to trouble shoot a patient with complicated history having a anesthetic mishap?? would you want your family member undergoing major surgery with a surgeon and a 2 year nurse anesthetist. and a surgeon directing the nurse anesthetist during the crisis. You havent done enough cases to know whats challenging and what is not.

One of the more naive things I constantly hear on this board is that, this case is easy and this case is hard. this case is a ca3 case and this case is a ca1 case. All cases are hard and for all levels. they all have teaching value, and more importantly they can all go bad at any moment. To think otherwise is just not having respect for your craft.

Honestly, my gut feeling is that UnhappyGas is as advertised: a CA1 who is having second thoughts about his specialty choice. Perhaps he should get into a different field.

However, just because he calls attention to some of the elephants in the living room of anesthesiology doesn't mean that we should be so quick to ban him and/or assume that he is a CRNA. I think it gives an impression of insecurity bordering on paranoia and calls to mind fascist censorship to use those kinds of tactics.

Unhappy, you dont see the value of being an anesthesiologist because you arent one yet. you are a ca1. I cant believe you would think you mastered the art of anesthesiology in 7 months to think you can do my job. I never felt this way. I still dont. I think its all hard. fine youve done some cases that didnt require you to call us. great for you great for me and even better for the patient. Do you think you would have been able to handle the situation if any of the catastrophic things that can happen under anesthesia did happen to a patient who is already compromised. DO you think yo uknow enough to trouble shoot a patient with complicated history having a anesthetic mishap?? would you want your family member undergoing major surgery with a surgeon and a 2 year nurse anesthetist. and a surgeon directing the nurse anesthetist during the crisis. You havent done enough cases to know whats challenging and what is not.

One of the more naive things I constantly hear on this board is that, this case is easy and this case is hard. this case is a ca3 case and this case is a ca1 case. All cases are hard and for all levels. they all have teaching value, and more importantly they can all go bad at any moment. To think otherwise is just not having respect for your craft.

Great post! Definitely things to keep in mind as I embark on my training in the years to come (hopefully, assuming this year's match goes fine).

OP: I went through a tough residency program with lots of CRNAs around. The MDs were treated with respect and the CRNAs knew their place. In PP there is no question that surgeons (our fellow MDs) and hospital administrators and patients demand excellent care. The gold standard is MD Anesthesiology. It always has been, it always will be. My colleagues who work with CRNAs tell horror stories of nurses who cannot bag mask patients, don't know how to intubate. Don't know how to start IVs and don't know with a an interscalene block is. These are fresh grads rushed through a 12 month program mill. No offense to lots of good nurses out their. The skill, and judgement of a physician cannot be duplicated by a RN. Yes, there are great RNs and horrible docs; but in general there is no comparison. It is much more expensive to have a CRNA than M.D. in the long run. Kaiser knows that; the largest of employer of CRNAs in the US is moving AWAY from CRNA use. Patients, surgeons and medical staff are demanding it.

Do you need a study that tells you that the sun comes out each morning? No. It is obvious that someone with more training and education is better than someone with less. Would you rather we just do a one day crash course in anesthesia rather than 13/14 yrs it takes to become an anesthesiologist? Most nurses don't know how to treat sepsis, interpret an echo, or what TA-GVHD is or stop a surgeon from cutting (when appropriate). Most doctors know how to do the above and more and are licensed to practice medicine. Nurses are allowed to follow a doctors orders. The team model of anesthesia practice is not sound because it distorts this basic relationship.

Last edited:
Honestly, my gut feeling is that UnhappyGas is as advertised: a CA1 who is having second thoughts about his specialty choice. Perhaps he should get into a different field.

However, just because he calls attention to some of the elephants in the living room of anesthesiology doesn't mean that we should be so quick to ban him and/or assume that he is a CRNA. I think it gives an impression of insecurity bordering on paranoia and calls to mind fascist censorship to use those kinds of tactics.

He seems to have a very firm understanding for the "benefits' of CRNAs. His opinions border on propaganda.

We've seen enough trolls around here to be very suspicious of someone who has never posted before.

If the OP wants to demonstrate he is a resident, he should join the private forum/Anesthesiology Club.

Troll or no Troll, this thread brought out some interesting discussions. But what is new here? When I was a pre-med, I had an anesthesiologist tell me that this field will be dead (midlevel devastation) by the time I hit residency.
The struggle contines...

On another note, the OR is a toxic environment in most academic institutions. I have had to deal with my own issues with having an inferiority complex in the OR. Anesthesia residents for whatever reason are typically not treated with the respect given to surgery residents by OR ancillary staff. This was vary apparent in my CA 1 year. I can say with confidence now that I am treated with respect in the OR, but I had to earn every bit of it. If your good, eventually you will receive the respect that you earn (you don't deserve anything on day 1 and you are certainly not entitled to having respect unless you earn it as well as reciprocate it!). The OR is not the wards. The OR is the battle front. The ancillary staff have to deal with constant criticism, humiliation, being talked down too like a child. They are not going to let you just walk in their world as a CA1 and run the show. You must earn everything you get in that OR. My suggestion would be to stick it out, work harder, become involved in the department/field more so than just pushing drugs in the OR and recording vitals. It's like anything else, it's what you make of it. :thumbup:

I disagree with that stateemnt.

Cambie

Come on moderator grow a pair and remove this clown from the forum.

lol, thanks for busting my balls :lol::lol::lol:

This thread has brought up some interesting points and the OP seems to have stepped back from things so I am just gonna let things be for the time being.

:cool:

I agree. I think this is more likely to be some combination of a malignant environment and lifestyler reality check.

(He shouldn't get a pass for regurgitating half-baked militant CRNA propaganda, but calls to BURN THE WITCH, er I mean CRNA, are a bit over the top.)

First off, I am extremely saddened that anyone would have to experience such a horrific thing especially during one of the most stressful times of their life. Clearly, for this woman, childbirth must have been one of the happiest moments of her life.

This NURSE ANESTHESIST did the most sordid and horrific thing by violating this woman's trust. He is a disgrace. It's unfortunate that the group's name is called "Anesthesiology Consultants". Clearly, this individual is a NURSE ANESTHESIST and does not practice anesthesiology.

As physicians we take oaths and in these oaths the patient-physician relationship is strictly a professional one. These NURSE ANESTHESISTS, most of whom were educated at community colleges and then traversed oward through nurse anesthesist school do not uphold the same moral and ethical standards toward their patients.

This topic makes me sick. Patients should ask for a PHYSICIAN aka an ANESTHESIOLOGIST, not an anesthesist for their perioperative care. This individual should get thrown behind bars and never be allowed to take care of patients ever.

First off, I am extremely saddened that anyone would have to experience such a horrific thing especially during one of the most stressful times of their life. Clearly, for this woman, childbirth must have been one of the happiest moments of her life.

This NURSE ANESTHESIST did the most sordid and horrific thing by violating this woman's trust. He is a disgrace. It's unfortunate that the group's name is called "Anesthesiology Consultants". Clearly, this individual is a NURSE ANESTHESIST and does not practice anesthesiology.

As physicians we take oaths and in these oaths the patient-physician relationship is strictly a professional one. These NURSE ANESTHESISTS, most of whom were educated at community colleges and then traversed oward through nurse anesthesist school do not uphold the same moral and ethical standards toward their patients.

This topic makes me sick. Patients should ask for a PHYSICIAN aka an ANESTHESIOLOGIST, not an anesthesist for their perioperative care. This individual should get thrown behind bars and never be allowed to take care of patients ever.

If there's one thing I have drilled in my mind about patients is that they deserve all the dignity and respect in the world.

Alright, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Each story usually has at least 2 versions and all we have here is one version.
Could it be that the CRNA was checking the block level when that woman thought he touched her breast?
Could it also be that she was hallucinating because of whatever narcotic they gave her?
All we have here is a story told by a patient who was "impaired" by everyone's admission and DNA from her breast that matches the CRNA's!
How likely is it that the DNA is contamination do you think??
What I am saying is that we really don't know what happened but people in this country are innocent until proven guilty.
On the other hand this story bring up a very important point:
Always Make sure that any interaction between you and an impaired patient is witnessed by someone else.

Alright, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Each story usually has at least 2 versions and all we have here is one version.
Could it be that the CRNA was checking the block level when that woman thought he touched her breast?
Could it also be that she was hallucinating because of whatever narcotic they gave her?
All we have here is a story told by a patient who was "impaired" by everyone's admission and DNA from her breast that matches the CRNA's!
How likely is it that the DNA is contamination do you think??
What I am saying is that we really don't know what happened but people in this country are innocent until proven guilty.
On the other hand this story bring up a very important point:
Always Make sure that any interaction between you and an impaired patient is witnessed by someone else.

maybe, but if the story is accurate in that the DNA was recovered from saliva on the patients breast then its kinda damning either way. I dont test a level with my tongue.

maybe, but if the story is accurate in that the DNA was recovered from saliva on the patients breast then its kinda damning either way. I dont test a level with my tongue.
Could a droplet of saliva have landed on the patient at some point while the CRNA was taking care of her and caused the positive DNA match?

exactly. While the CRNA's DNA maybe on the patient. DNA specific to saliva is very hard to contend with as far as evidence. We all wear, or SHOULD wear masks, so how can saliva be on this patients chest wall? I could understand an eyebrow or piece of hair from the forearm falling on the patient, but SALIVA ??

I agree with Plank on cross gender interactions between male and female patients should be witnessed as much as possible.

exactly. While the CRNA's DNA maybe on the patient. DNA specific to saliva is very hard to contend with as far as evidence. We all wear, or SHOULD wear masks, so how can saliva be on this patients chest wall? I could understand an eyebrow or piece of hair from the forearm falling on the patient, but SALIVA ??

I agree with Plank on cross gender interactions between male and female patients should be witnessed as much as possible.

It is important to always have he spouse around when taking care of OB patients if at all possible. At the one hospital I rotated through, the spouse is always around when pt is in labor, goes to OR and on to recovery.

If the patient is correct in her recollection, I would surmise it is not the first time this nurse anesthetist has done this. And who the heck asks a patient whether they feel pain on their breasts post C-section while proceeding to check manually?

Here's the patient's account:

http://wwwphp.10tv.com/vplayer.php?clip=2009_01_23_Alleged_Victim_Speaks_Out.wmv

Last edited:
We all wear, or SHOULD wear masks, so how can saliva be on this patients chest wall? I could understand an eyebrow or piece of hair from the forearm falling on the patient, but SALIVA ??.

I don't wear a mask unless I'm standing over my sterile field or inserting the epidural.

It's still a stretch to imagine how he managed to deposit saliva on her breast, unless he has a wicked lisp.

I find it odd that they thought to obtain a DNA sample. Did the patient request one? Did the hospital offer? Grab it from a rape kit? The entire story is odd.

One thing I know, I'm not going to judge this as a reason why doctors are "superior" to CRNAs. This guy wasn't a dick because he is a CRNA. He's just a dick that chose to be a CRNA.

Would you rather your physician show up impaired and hopped up on fentanyl, or lick your breast?

Unfortunately, I think this nurse anesthesist's actions are now going to raise many a red flag for ALL anesthesia providers--especially for those of you in Ohio.

That sucks.

ProReal--I think having a hubby in the room is a questionable idea. I know we always ask the hubby to leave the room. but there's always a nurse in the room where I'm at. I'm just saying, if a hubby and wife need some $$$$ they can always corroborate their stories.:rolleyes:

Let me begin by stating that what the CRNA did was absolutely horrendous and I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the woman that was assaulted.
However...
Can we please get back to the original topic of the thread?
Namely...is there any chance for the MD only anesthesiology practice to survice? As an MS3 (and therefore, about to make my entire MS4 schedule predicated upon the fact that I am going into Anesthesiology), I love Anesthesiology enough that I would still do it even if I had to supervise 3-4nurses all day, but I am just holding out hope that I would be able to just focus on my one patient at a time. Thanks for the insight.
P.S. Much thanks to all of you residents and attendings that can provide such valubale insight to us medical students. :)

It's too late for that. Besides, there are a dozen or more threads on this topic in the various subforums at any given time.

If you want someone to tell you it's OK to go into anesthesia, everything will be alright...

It prolly ain't gonna happen here.

I dont test a level period. Ever on ob. I do the spinal and it either works or it doesnt. you checking levels with an alcohol swab, then a splintered tongue depressor is just damn silly. and it looks silly. you know when your block is working and when its not.. When they are dry heaving.. you know the block is damn damn good. WHen they say they cant feel their pinky. Its a damn good block.. If they are not feeling funny after the block or you are not giving neo of ephedrine the block is prolly too low. and certainly I dont even care after the case whether she has a block or not.

MOral of the story: DOnt touch patients if you dont have to. IF you have to touch a patient have someone else in the room with you and no need to check a level to the point you know the exact dermatome the level is.

but there are 2 sides to the story and it is likely that the story is bull****. but merits investigating

Let me begin by stating that what the CRNA did was absolutely horrendous and I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the woman that was assaulted.
However...
Namely...is there any chance for the MD only anesthesiology practice to survice? As an MS3 (and therefore, about to make my entire MS4 schedule predicated upon the fact that I am going into Anesthesiology), I love Anesthesiology enough that I would still do it even if I had to supervise 3-4nurses all day, but I am just holding out hope that I would be able to just focus on my one patient at a time. Thanks for the insight.
P.S. Much thanks to all of you residents and attendings that can provide such valubale insight to us medical students. :)

nobody can give you an answer to that because it depends on many many things. Its not looking like md only anesthesia is the future at least in this country. They are training more and more crnas and AAs. SO the cat is out of the bag now. We can now maintain our consultant status by lobbying the government. Im in an md only practice now, and im told that there are 2 national groups bidding hard for the contract. and when that happens. Ill be relegated to supervising anesthetists. Healthcare in this country is in trouble and they have to save money somehow..