Thinking about getting dual certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skypt123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I usually get crazy looks for bringing this up, but I think it's a pretty legitimate goal in my case. I'm currently a third year AuD student, but was a Speech therapist (Bachelors) for 5 years in the schools before I started this program. I would love to use those years of experience and add them to my AuD when I'm finished. So my question is, would it be worth my while to go back and get my Masters in speech and be dual certified ? There are things about both that I really love. I would like to use that to maximize my potential and my marketability. Would I have to go back to school for another 2 years since I already would have my AuD? Where would I even start to find out more information? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I usually get crazy looks for bringing this up, but I think it's a pretty legitimate goal in my case. I'm currently a third year AuD student, but was a Speech therapist (Bachelors) for 5 years in the schools before I started this program. I would love to use those years of experience and add them to my AuD when I'm finished. So my question is, would it be worth my while to go back and get my Masters in speech and be dual certified ? There are things about both that I really love. I would like to use that to maximize my potential and my marketability. Would I have to go back to school for another 2 years since I already would have my AuD? Where would I even start to find out more information? Thanks!

I would check out ASHA.org for more info on dual certification. My thinking is that dual certification is not as popular as it once was, likely due a broadening scope of practice in both audiology and speech pathology. I found a member survey on ASHA and saw that out of the 118,000 or so SLPs, only 1,205 were dual certified, with 60% of those people over the age of 55.

I think it would still probably take around two years for you to complete a Master's in a traditional speech program, since the course work doesn't really overlap (you'd have to take courses in adult and child language disorders, fluency, phonological disorders, AAC, motor speech disorders, swallowing, etc.) and I'm not sure the clinical hours your acquired for your Au.D. would carry over the to 400 hours required for the MS SLP either. However, there may be a more aural rehab focused SLP program out there that would allow you to get the Master's sooner. Maybe Gallaudet?

What is it about SLP that you really enjoyed? Working with kids? Being in school environment? I ask because it's very likely you'd be able to find what your are looking for as an audiologist.

To the OP,
I am on track of becoming dually certified, having worked as a licensed SLP for 4 years before returning to school. I am a 1st year AuD student.

If it's marketability and potential you seek, one would look more at your clinical experience/internships/areas of expertise. If you've worked as an SLP for 5 yrs, your experience is there. It's all about how you present yourself to employers...Like RemiJP said, once you figure exactly what it is you want to do with both degrees, then your decision to pursue the SLP degree would be much clearer.

Your AuD classes do not count toward your speech degree, and you probably will not have to do a hearing practicum, like many SLP graduate students do. The scope of practice & education requirements between the profession have widened over the last 20 years, that is why many of the dually certified are older.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
i too have this option I'm currently going to OSU and getting Bachelor degree in Communication Science and Disorders and have the option to take classes to get certified to teach classes in schools. Still a little up in the air on it since my real go is Doctor of Audiology

Thank you all for your replies. Since then I have had the opportunity to properly research the subject. I'm actually doing my 4th externship 3 days a week, and work part time as a SLT in a local school district the other 2 days a week (I don't get paid for my externship and have to work).This actually works to my advantage because I am able to fully see what I like about both, and what I possibly may want to do. I love the science and medical aspect of Audiology, but I love the therapy and relationships with the children in Speech. I found out there is a marriage of both disciplines which is auditory/verbal therapy with children that have cochlear implants! Does anyone know any audiologists that do that?

There are audiologists who do AVT and there are audiologists who do other kinds of aural rehab. The hardship lies in getting reimbursed for these services. You can't through Medicare, and you may or may not through private insurance. There is an audiologists who does aural rehab for DC early intervention (0-3 y/o). The aural rehabilitationists at Gallaudet are mostly SLP's, but all Au.D. students get 2 semesters of practicum in it and you can practice it if you want to/can get paid. Educational settings I think are the most likely for you to have aural rehab therapy as one of your responsibilities, although even there it is usually the SLP. The audiologist sometimes has a supportive role to the SLP, or sometimes the aud is the lead, like at Maryland School for the Deaf. I know that aural rehab is part of the job description there. I doubt that it is AVT because it is a Deaf school, but I don't know. In any case, if you are working with kids and especially in an educational setting, you will need to collaborate with other professionals and like someone else said, your experience as an SLP would be very valuable in that regard.

There are audiologists who do AVT and there are audiologists who do other kinds of aural rehab. The hardship lies in getting reimbursed for these services. You can't through Medicare, and you may or may not through private insurance. There is an audiologists who does aural rehab for DC early intervention (0-3 y/o). The aural rehabilitationists at Gallaudet are mostly SLP's, but all Au.D. students get 2 semesters of practicum in it and you can practice it if you want to/can get paid. Educational settings I think are the most likely for you to have aural rehab therapy as one of your responsibilities, although even there it is usually the SLP. The audiologist sometimes has a supportive role to the SLP, or sometimes the aud is the lead, like at Maryland School for the Deaf. I know that aural rehab is part of the job description there. I doubt that it is AVT because it is a Deaf school, but I don't know. In any case, if you are working with kids and especially in an educational setting, you will need to collaborate with other professionals and like someone else said, your experience as an SLP would be very valuable in that regard.

WOW!!! Awesome points!!! Thanks!:)