thinking about German medical school - don't know any German

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rico_suave

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a native English speaker, non-US and non-EU citizen and thinking about studying medicine in Germany for next fall 2018. I have a Bachelors degree from a US university and finished 2 years of medical school in the US but had to withdraw due to personal and financial reasons.

Anyhoos I am totally new to the german language. literally only started duolingo a week ago but i am determined to SOMEHOW get up to C1 with medical terminology by the time i apply next year (am I crazy?). I heard that in order to take the language test one must show 1000 hours of study so i plan to possibly go to a language school in germany in a few weeks.

Ok, so i need some feedback. With my Bachelors (GPA 3.82) and some medical school would I be able to get in? would the incomplete med school be seen as a negative? and is it possible with intense intense study to get up to the fluency level i need for German medical school? and any tips for that.

thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

C1 is surreal to me, B2 yeah sure but C1? That’s insane

Ok so I am a native English speaker, non-US and non-EU citizen and thinking about studying medicine in Germany for next fall 2018. I have a Bachelors degree from a US university and finished 2 years of medical school in the US but had to withdraw due to personal and financial reasons.

Anyhoos I am totally new to the german language. literally only started duolingo a week ago but i am determined to SOMEHOW get up to C1 with medical terminology by the time i apply next year (am I crazy?). I heard that in order to take the language test one must show 1000 hours of study so i plan to possibly go to a language school in germany in a few weeks.

Ok, so i need some feedback. With my Bachelors (GPA 3.82) and some medical school would I be able to get in? would the incomplete med school be seen as a negative? and is it possible with intense intense study to get up to the fluency level i need for German medical school? and any tips for that.

thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

I do not think this is a feasible timeline. If you flew to Germany right now and immersed yourself fully for a year forcing yourself to speak German at every opportunity, took classes, then maybe you would be conversational by the time you apply. It will be a very different ball game sitting in lectures and talking to patients with various German accents on the wards (you would want to go to a part of Germany where most people speak with very little accent). A lot in medicine is the same, so learning medical German is maybe less of a problem. I don't think your incomplete med school in the US would keep you, but I do not see you succeed without having a full grasp of the language.

Eeek! Ok. I knew I was being a bit insane trying to reach such a big goal in such a short period of time. Plus I know medical school is hard in my native language, far less, me trying to keep up in a new one.

But thanks so much for the feedback!