thinking about dropping out of my gpr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i can't stand my gpr. all the procedures i do are so limited. i honestly think i was able to do more fixed and endo in dental school - so sad! and every day is becoming more and more ridiculous b/c our director comes up with some new policy and procedure. i could go on and on about the other stuff, but i will stop here. i feel like i am not getting the experience i should be, and i want to leave. if i had known the program was going to be like this, i would have never gone in the first place. does anyone have any advice as to what i should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Leave!

If you have figured out by now that this is not for you then I think you are in the program long enough to realise this aint for you. You wont be th first or last. But what benefit is it to YOU to stay in a program with all these limitations!

Where are you doing your GPR? That's my greatest fear for next year...

When you interviewed, did they make it seem like the program was different? What kind of contract do you have to sign? I'm not sure you can just leave, as the other poster mentioned. I would look into it, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is not what it had mentioned then you can leave. If they made out that you would be doing this and that and it was all lies to land you there then I would just leave. Ending a contract this way would rarely end up in court, it is much too expensive to battle it out on their behalf and the evidence would be considered both sides. Long version short if you leave I extremely doubt theres anything they can do about it. Besides they would probably re-advertise it as it is early days!

Let us know what you do but dont waste time thinking non stop about it and then leave almost toward the end!

i can't stand my gpr. all the procedures i do are so limited. i honestly think i was able to do more fixed and endo in dental school - so sad! and every day is becoming more and more ridiculous b/c our director comes up with some new policy and procedure. i could go on and on about the other stuff, but i will stop here. i feel like i am not getting the experience i should be, and i want to leave. if i had known the program was going to be like this, i would have never gone in the first place. does anyone have any advice as to what i should do?

try speaking to the director, and staff.... most programs want to improve.

If your director is approachable you can talk to them, but in the end fixed and endo is not going to pop up outta nowhere. If you wanna leave. LEAVE! If you know you don't need it to practice in your state and know you can find a job (which you will, you only need 2-3 days to make the same amount) then do it. I was actually thinking about it at one point but my residency picked up and I'm just taking it as a year to decide what I wanna do. And my ppl are nice. If you are miserable outside of dentistry too then it's not worth it to me. if yours has no promise then leave. My friend did and she is soooo happy now.

Sad but true not all programs are same and some programs can make your life miserable. The director is core to any program and if you feel he is not offering you what you want then leave. Making your life happy by not being around "unhappy people and situations" is sometimes the best choice.

I have no experience with leaving a GPR, but I am considering leaving my program as well. My program has not met with my expectations and despite some good learning that has occurred, a toxic/corrupt environment can indeed make you miserable.

well i think it's all about priorities, my co-resident when i was doing gpr quit after 3 months bec she did not feel the program is headed in the right direction. after she went out and bought her own practice, we chatted a few times and she said she was very happy to make the decision and was more focused on work. so sometimes you have to figure what you want the hard way.

If you drop out of a gpr program, would it hurt your chances of getting into another gpr, a dental specialty program, or another health professions school/residency?

Are there any future negative repercussions that one should know of before quitting a gpr?

My advice is to STAY. This is just one of the many commitments in Life you will make and need to see it through. If you are not enjoying your time there, make the most of it. First off, what would you do if you left? Do you have a license to practice? Do you ever plan on working in a state where a GPR will allow you to get licensure by credentials? Do you plan to ever apply to post graduate programs?
Your GPR year despite where you are can be one of the easiest years of your career. When else are you going to 1) Be called a doctor 2) Get paid 3) Have health insurance 4) have vacation and sick time 5) have opportunities to try procedures you may never get to do? 6) meet other healthcare professionals from various specialties? In private practice it takes a while to achieve the above mentioned.
I realize it may not be what you thought it was going to be, but you should make the most of it.

My advice is to stay. Yes, you probably expected lots of fixed prost and implant experience, but what you're getting is extractions, extractions, extractions...followed by lots of operative and dentures. You're not alone in that regard. Most if not all GPRs share that fate. So if your only complaint is not enough variety...then I say tough it out and make the most of it. It's only a yr after which you'll have a certificate and a lot more doors open to you. If however, your program's environment is dreadful (ie-lousy/no assistants, mean/useless attendings, jerky co residents) then you have cause for concern. But even then don't just leave but rather talk to the director of the program. Hopefully, they have an open door policy and are wanting to make the experience a good one for you. I would gather most directors want the program to be as good as possible and will take that opportunity to improve.

Yep I would agree with that. This time in your career you can use to push the envelope. I'm taking this opportunity in my GPR to learn and do as much as possible. Whether I do it once I'm out of the program is another story but least I'll take those experiences with me and I'll be a better dentist for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your director and/or chairman. See if you can get more of the experiences you are looking for. The mission of all GPR's as described by CODA is to provide resident education above and beyond that which you received in dental school. If they are not providing that, and in all phases of dentistry, then that deficiency can be discussed intelligently. If you resign now, you will either have to find another GPR, or if you have a license, you can practice in the private sector. The GPR certificate is worth something, maybe not now, but in the future if you have any aspirations of teaching or being on staff at a hospital. You never know what the future may bring.

I am in the same situation now. Unfortunately, there;s no way I can talk to anyone in my program. I really wish there's some way to protect the residents!

I am in the same situation now. Unfortunately, there;s no way I can talk to anyone in my program. I really wish there's some way to protect the residents!

The ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) will listen to problems. Most programs have the director, the chair, or faculty or medical education director who will listen. Read the standards first. Those we must follow, even if residents do not like, even if we as directors do not agree with them. My residents do not love the time with in-patients but it is a requirement and a responsibility to the hospital... all we can do is try our best.

We are here on SDN to help... give any of us an e-mail or in my case - call... our goal is the best educational programs and best patient care while meeting the accreditation standards.

What were you promised? Did you do your due diligence? Were you lied to? If you were promised certain experiences and procedures but find yourself slinging amalgam and babysitting in the exam room then I feel you are within your rights to bail....The residency has to have a benefit to you or you are wasting 80-140k and most importantly your TIME

It's not worth it. If you are truly miserable, leave. I left mine after 6 months. And it was not an easy decision. In fact the hardest decision I've ever made. But I am so much happier for it!

Not everyone is wasting 80-120 k on a residency, at least not us in the military.

Greetings,

I strongly advice you to stay and finish the residency. You can always do another one if you feel the current one does not meet your expectations. I also would talk to the PD and voice your concerns. To have the leverage on your side tell him/her that resigning is a possibility unless the program can accomodate you with some reasonable requests. At the same time, you need to be reasonable too as some programs can't provide what you need. That is why doing careful research before acceptance is so important. On my advice to stay in, any reasonable PD would do what they can to prevent a loss of resident(s) because this reflect badly on the program. As for you, leaving a residency regardless of the reason simply does not look good on your resume. Thinking of specializing in the future? Can be tough on someone who left a general dentistry program. You see, it is a lose-lose situation. If you decide to leave, keep a record of what transpired during your stay in case you need to prove your point on why you left the residency. DP

My advice would be to stay as well. You may not be getting the experience you had expected, but you never know what could walk through the door tomorrow. Maybe you end up doing ONE single case between now and when you finish that makes it all worth while. It's one year, and I think you should suck it up, after all, your decision will not only impact you, it will impact everyone in the program. Your co-residents will have to pick up more call once you leave, which is unfair to them, and certainly not what they signed up for either. Just my opinion..... Good luck!

It is worth sitcking it out - wven if you have yourself convinced that youwill not go a specialty one day - you may - I did and having a good GPR under my belt made me a better general practitioner.
My advice as far as the residency goes is to make a list of everything that you think is good about the residency on one night then the next a list of anything that you think you have improved in since starting the residency. Then make a list of skills which you would like more improvement in then lastly make alist of things that you think could improve with the residency -
Think theough the reasons - what is the reason that you aren't getting as much C&B as you think you should - is it funding of the program or the patients inability to pay?
- once you have the list - sit on it for a few days - take it back out - remove anything personal and not objective- make it completely objective - now come up with some possible solutions -
this is the time to go to your director - do not go and just complain - do it with some saavy and do it with a list of ways that you think you could achieve what it is that you are looking for.

thank you for proving my point to all these students.

GPRs are a WASTE OF TIME!!!

my advice - Q U I T !

Greetings,

I strongly advice you to stay and finish the residency. You can always do another one if you feel the current one does not meet your expectations. I also would talk to the PD and voice your concerns. To have the leverage on your side tell him/her that resigning is a possibility unless the program can accomodate you with some reasonable requests. At the same time, you need to be reasonable too as some programs can't provide what you need. That is why doing careful research before acceptance is so important. On my advice to stay in, any reasonable PD would do what they can to prevent a loss of resident(s) because this reflect badly on the program. As for you, leaving a residency regardless of the reason simply does not look good on your resume. Thinking of specializing in the future? Can be tough on someone who left a general dentistry program. You see, it is a lose-lose situation. If you decide to leave, keep a record of what transpired during your stay in case you need to prove your point on why you left the residency. DP

are you people crazy!!!

Then this kid will have wasted two years!!!

Stay. Your program will give you as much as you put into it. Anyone will tell you residencies are what you make of them, not what necessarily what you've promise you at your interview. I had residents cruise through my GPR, lots of time off for interviews or what not, and constant whining about the program ... all while the next resident was making a great deal better of an experience out of their time there.

thank you for proving my point to all these students.

GPRs are a WASTE OF TIME!!!

my advice - Q U I T !

This is of no use to anyone. Please only respond if you actually have experience with the subject being discussed. For you to say that GPR's are "a waste of time" is complete non-sense.

Please also remember that quitting will have serious consequences on your co-residents quality of life (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=690420).

This is of no use to anyone. Please only respond if you actually have experience with the subject being discussed. For you to say that GPR's are "a waste of time" is complete non-sense.

Please also remember that quitting will have serious consequences on your co-residents quality of life (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=690420).

From your post I can only assume you are doing a GPR right?

Waste of time. Just my opinion but thats what the students have told me who have done them.

so you posted a thread which states that if this doc drops out of the GPR it will hurt the program.

WHO CARES???

The program is not benefiting the doc.

so you posted a thread which states that if this doc drops out of the GPR it will hurt the program.

WHO CARES???

The program is not benefiting the doc.

The link was posted by a GPR resident who is in a situation where they are pulling the slack for a resident who dropped out of the residency and hence is taking q2 call.

I don't think we share the same ideals. If I knew my actions would negatively effect 4 other people who were in a similar situation, it would be very difficult for me do that.

As those of us who have completed a residency have said, you cannot drop out of a residency in the first 6 months and say that you did not get anything out of it, impossible. You are not giving it enough time. You could say that the first 8 months were a total waste and get some great cases or save a life on call some night and then suddenly, that GPR doesn't seem so bad anymore. It's like someone who doesn't know how to swim very well quitting a swim class after the first class because they don't think they are learning anything. They swim the whole class, but unless they complete the entire program, they have no idea if they were able to become a better swimmer.

My opinion, but apparently not everyone's.... that's too bad, because it is so easy to just quit something....

From your post I can only assume you are doing a GPR right?

Waste of time. Just my opinion but thats what the students have told me who have done them.

Look at my name.... I have completed a residency program and am now a practicing orthodontist who comes on here from time to time to attempt to give some advice. That's all. I've seen the dental world from just about every point of view out there, so I feel I am occasionally able to help someone out.

I have been practicing since 1997 and have had my own practice since 1998 and now since 2001 I have two practices. I did not do a residency but I wish I had. It gives you a year to really learn quite a bit if you are in the right environment. If you are in a GPR that allows you to do a ton of extractions take advantage of it. Learn as much as you can about surgery and surgical complications. It depends on what you want to do in private practice but the majority of us have no idea what we will truly enjoy when in private practice. You can learn all the endo, ortho and restorative in private practice over a long period of time. I have found that surgery(extractions, socket grafting, crown lengthenings, etc..) is the area in which I wish I had more time and exposure to with a mentor. Believe me, it can be invaluable to your development as a practitioner to be exposed to a wide variety of procedures while you are under the wing of a mentor. It is a long career.:)

I have been practicing since 1997 and have had my own practice since 1998 and now since 2001 I have two practices. I did not do a residency but I wish I had. It gives you a year to really learn quite a bit if you are in the right environment. If you are in a GPR that allows you to do a ton of extractions take advantage of it. Learn as much as you can about surgery and surgical complications. It depends on what you want to do in private practice but the majority of us have no idea what we will truly enjoy when in private practice. You can learn all the endo, ortho and restorative in private practice over a long period of time. I have found that surgery(extractions, socket grafting, crown lengthenings, etc..) is the area in which I wish I had more time and exposure to with a mentor. Believe me, it can be invaluable to your development as a practitioner to be exposed to a wide variety of procedures while you are under the wing of a mentor. It is a long career.:)

So, let me get this right, your telling students the value of a GPR when you didn't even do a GPR?:laugh:

Dude, they are a waste of time. You may do two crown lengthenings in a year in a GPR.

The link was posted by a GPR resident who is in a situation where they are pulling the slack for a resident who dropped out of the residency and hence is taking q2 call.

I don't think we share the same ideals. If I knew my actions would negatively effect 4 other people who were in a similar situation, it would be very difficult for me do that.

As those of us who have completed a residency have said, you cannot drop out of a residency in the first 6 months and say that you did not get anything out of it, impossible. You are not giving it enough time. You could say that the first 8 months were a total waste and get some great cases or save a life on call some night and then suddenly, that GPR doesn't seem so bad anymore. It's like someone who doesn't know how to swim very well quitting a swim class after the first class because they don't think they are learning anything. They swim the whole class, but unless they complete the entire program, they have no idea if they were able to become a better swimmer.

My opinion, but apparently not everyone's.... that's too bad, because it is so easy to just quit something....

you will do more dentistry in 2 months in private practice than a year and half in a GPR.

So, let me get this right, your telling students the value of a GPR when you didn't even do a GPR?:laugh:
Dude, they are a waste of time. You may do two crown lengthenings in a year in a GPR.

Let me get this right, you are telling people a GPR is a waste of time without over doing one?

Listen, we can argue for years about this. The only way you know whether a GPR has value to your career is if you do one. Are there people who are successful coming directly out of dental school into private practice? Sure. Are there people who do the extra year in a GPR program and are unsuccessful? Sure. My only point is that you do not get the same experience in dental school that most GPR's offer. In dental school you see maybe 2-3 patients a day. In a good GPR, you will see many more than that. When you need to transition into a private practice setting as an associate, your boss is going to NEED you to be much quicker than you can possibly be and much more comfortable with many different types of treatment that you only had limited exposure to in dental school. A GPR year is a way to broaden your scope, increase your speed, learn about medically complex patients, and have a setting that allows you supervision if you choose it or allows you to have questions answered quickly. All of this is done while you are working under the hospitals wings, something goes wrong, you are likely covered.

I am NOT saying a GPR is right for everyone, but I take issue with people making blanket statements like "GPR's are a waste of time."

you will do more dentistry in 2 months in private practice than a year and half in a GPR.

This is absolutely false. One of my buddies told me he did his first bridge 3 months ago. We graduated in 2008. Starting out, most new grads don't get the good cases in private practice. A crappy GPR is definitely a waste of time but there are many great ones out there that provide you with years worth of experience and education in only one year of your time (plus you get paid).

Dental student a GPR may not be for everyone and some programs are better than others. You have absolutley no perspective on private practice so do not make statements concerning it. Those two crown lengthenings you say you may do in a GPR are more than you will do as an associate in most practices. I would refrain from making blanket statements concerning the value of GPR's. There are those that will give you a little experience and those that will allow you to learn immense amounts about dental care. Just my two cents...but as a student you know nada about Dentistry or private practice. Its a long road of learning and being humble and having humility will serve you well in your journey.