Things that make you go "I'm so not getting in"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinrab

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else hear things that make you realize that no matter how many interviews you have, this process is ridiculously tough and you basically have no shot?

My mother was telling me about a brother and sister pair that a friend of our families knows. The brother went to an engineering school , great stats, etc. And he's the dumb one! The sister graduated high school early, and she was teaching (yes, teaching) freshman math at MIT while still in high school. She's finishing up her undergrad there this year. Now, of course, that's great for them, but what sucks for me is that they both just interviewed at one of my top choices (the only reason for them to apply there is that it's the state school). I have an interview coming up there, but I get the feeling that after the adcom has seen these two, I'll be laughed out of there for even bothering to apply. :( What makes it worse is that these kids belong to the same ethnic/religious group as me, and our state school is not known for taking a whole lot of minorities.

I feel so pathetic right now. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Dont worry too much ...you'll be fine ;) As long as you do your best you will be ok. If you weren't good enough they wouldn't have invited you for an interview. Cheer up

Yeah, there are so many different aspects to this process. I'm sure you have something that they don't, and maybe the comittee values that more. Plus, if you're interviewing, they're interested in you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. As much as I've told myself "they like me, they really like me" ;) every time I've gotten an interview, it still sucked to be reminded of how amazing the competition can be. Especially coming from where I am, stats-wise. :scared:

Yeah I hear you bruinrab,
I wake up in a cold sweat sometimes, thinking to myself "If only I had more clinical experience!" Rough. I already interviewed at my first choice (UMass, which I emphasize, rocks oh so hard) so now I am just waiting and stewing over my interview. One time during my first interview, I kinda interrupted the interviewer when he was talking, I immediately silenced myself, but that one thing keeps me up an extra hour at night. In the same interview, as the half hour was up, I joked that one of my reasons for coming here was that everyone else is a Red Sox fan. Of course the interviewer pointed out that he's a Phillies fan. Shoot me in the face. UMass is so tough to get into, and the other interviewees were superstars (at least that's the way it seemed to me, although I did have fun on the interview day). In conclusion, I don't know how to make you feel any better, because I feel like crap. When we get in, then we'll feel better.

Well, if we manage to keep these two super stars out, I'll see you at UMass. :D

Look at many people at mdapplicants.com
Some of them have perfect GPAs and 38-42 MCATs; however, they got rejected by most of the good schools they interviewd with. While others, with more average numbers, got into those schools.
I think that the numbers and all that other icing (ecs, lors, work) is only 50%. The rest, is you being likable during the interview, being able to talk the talk and not get offended when they are being mean (because they do it on purpose, to see if you have a short fuse, which is unexceptable when you're a doctor dealing with patients)
So don't worry. You might have a better chance then that pair. Just think of yourself as a new product that you have to sell to the customer.

Originally posted by bruinrab
Well, if we manage to keep these two super stars out, I'll see you at UMass. :D
So... do we like, pull a Tonya Harding or something? I think our best bet is to make sure they get in at Harvard or something. I think I have to face the music +pity+ .
If anyone needs a good podiatrist let me know.

P.S. - Bruinrab, where are you from?

Worcester...My parents house is literally 10 mins from the school, and my dad works for UMass, so a possible break on the already low tuition -- imagine, free med school. :love: Solousy, check your pm box.

Originally posted by mdforlife
Look at many people at mdapplicants.com
Some of them have perfect GPAs and 38-42 MCATs; however, they got rejected by most of the good schools they interviewd with. While others, with more average numbers, got into those schools.
I think that the numbers and all that other icing (ecs, lors, work) is only 50%. The rest, is you being likable during the interview, being able to talk the talk and not get offended when they are being mean (because they do it on purpose, to see if you have a short fuse, which is unexceptable when you're a doctor dealing with patients)
So don't worry. You might have a better chance then that pair. Just think of yourself as a new product that you have to sell to the customer.

Hahaha, I *wish* I had average stats. I'm a perfect candidate except for my GPA. Personality-wise, I actually know I come off really well (lord knows how ;)).

I work with a guy who has a chemistry degree from Cornell and a 36 on the MCAT, he finally gave up after applying to ~15 schools/yr after three years of applying. Smart and articulate, it really makes you wonder.
Plus everytime I interview I come away thinking, "Why did I say that?" or "How come I didn't mention this?". My interview at Colorado keeps running through my head, I think I really messed it up. It's so depressing to come so far and then totally blow it. Why can't I have just one steller interview moment? :(

I am still premed and haven't applied yet anywhere, but i heard several horror stories from some people i know. You just never know.
I really wonder what kind of person they are looking for.
Do you guys think it would help to do mock interviews with real life docs?
I mean, the questions they ask are pretty much standard (weaknesses, why you wanna go, etc.), and mostly people come prepared for those questions. So what is it then? It can't be your stats since they already picked you for the interview.
Is it appearance? How good looking you are?

I wouldn't get too nervous just yet. Every med school is going to have their spread of acceptees, some with higher numbers, some with more desirable personality traits. Just because someone is extremely intelligent and has high numbers doesn't mean they are going to make the best physicians and I would hope that most ADCOMs have figured that out.

I just got back from my first interview (at Baylor)...two profs interviewed me...the second one was really nice, said literally "I'm the nicest interviewer around" and "I'm trying to get you IN to med school, not keep you out." Though I'm sure she says the same thing to everyone!

The first interviewer, though, made me pretty nervous, and I think I messed up my answers to his questions quite a bit (like "what are some of the biggest problems in medicine today?" argh...).

But the worst part was when he asked me what clinical experience I had, and I described mine, and added that I am planning to volunteer in a hospital this semester. He said, "Yes, that would be a good idea...you need some exposure to a hospital environment."

Now THAT made me feel like I'm definitely not getting in...though I hope I'm wrong, because I ended up really liking the school.

Another half-funny, half-sad thing that happened: as I was walking out of the main building, I asked a woman (who looked like a med student) for directions. She told me where to go, but then asked, "So how did your interviews go?". I said I wasn't sure about the first one, that I had some trouble answering some of the questions, but that the second one went well.

Well, then I asked her if she was a student at the college. No, she said, she's on the admissions committee!!!! :eek: :laugh:

That doesn't bode well for me either, I think! Oh well, better luck next time...at least I didn't say anything like "that professor was so annoying and mean!"

Karen44