Thermodynamics Questions

student2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone have encountered thermodynamics questions on the OATs before and can help me answer the following questions:

When work is done by the system (gas piston expanding in volume), would the sign of the work done be positive or negative. I think the sign convention in physics and in chemistry is the opposite of each other (i.e. in chemistry, if work is done by the system, then the internal energy change is negative so the work done would have a negative sign; but in physics, this would be a positive work.) Any idea which convention the OAT adopts? Or does it depend on which section you are working on (physics vs. chem)?

Also, do we have to know about electrolytic cells (electrical energy used to induce nonspontaneous chemical reactions to occur)?

One last general question, how difficult is it to get a 400 on the physics/chemistry section? Do you have enough time to finish the physics section?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the thermo questions, I just don't remember :). But, I did have a cell question. It was usually what is the cathode/anode of the system. Not too hard. I scored lowest on the physics section (330). I ran out of time, but most people don't. I got a 400 on the o chem. section and a 350 I think on g. chem. So it is possible to get 400's, but I think physics is one of the tougher sections.