Therapeutic genicular blocks ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a patient who until recently was on commercial insurance. This covered genicular blocks but not ablations. So I did her blocks with dex and bup and she would get 6 months of relief each time, so we didn’t worry about a cash ablation.

She is now on Medicare. I’m happy to continue genicular blocks q 6 months and still postpone the ablation As long as Medicare is ok with this.

Anyone done repeated genicular blocks under Medicare and been paid each time?

Members don't see this ad.

Medicare pays for RF, so you can do that if you wish.

As far as I know, Medicare doesn't say that the genicular blocks need to be without steroid, so I'd just add the steroid and see how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think steve was talking about dex vs depo.

particularly since there are certain people who love depo in certain injections ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I caused a substantial amount of fat necrosis 3ish years ago at the inframedial site. Prob the size of a quarter. Dex + 0.5% bupi.

As far as I know there is no local determination coverage for genicular nerve blocks, so there is nothing that compels you to do an RFA if you don’t want to

(Lack of LCD is why the replacement plans get away with not covering geniculars)

I’d consider Revisiting your primary diagnosis

There are a lot of other structures in those areas

Pes anserine insertion
Infrapatellar saphenous n
Mcl

It’s tough for a nerve block to last that long. Not saying it doesn’t happen