Coursework & Fieldwork Theory vs Clinical Application (Current MS student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT2018x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!
Current 1st year student here. Slightly frustrated. I love my program and the faculty... I have noticed that my program is very theory-based rather than clinical application-based---if that makes sense. I feel like we run laps over theory but that I'm not gaining much clinical knowledge and understanding----with the exception of more concrete classes like neuro, anatomy, and kinesiology. Sometimes, I feel like my classmates and I learn more from the COTA in our class rather than the instructors.. or we don't talk about clinical application unless someone who has experience in that arena inquires about a specific scenario. We are getting heavier into our more population-based classes, and I'm genuinely concerned about if my classmates and I are getting the most of out the program.

Does anyone else feel like this? Is it normal? I want to make sure that I'm growing as a student and as a potential practitioner...not to mention, I want to be knowledgeable in level II's and be able to pass the NBCOT, lol. BLAH.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am a current 1st year student as well. My program really emphasized the importance of theories because that is what our assessments/interventions are going to be based on. However, we are getting more clinical application in our lab classes. I was a rehab tech for about 3 years before I started the program so I have a bit of background and hands-on experience. I know some of my classmates are struggling with the clinical application and want an answer for every specific scenario. I get a lot of learning out of my fieldwork placement and a lot of the clinical application is going to come from experience. I know that is not the answer people want to hear...but asking questions during fieldwork, especially Level 1, is so helpful!

Many programs focus on theory in the first year and then the clinical application in the second. Trust me, you actually NEED to learn this stuff in order to select and implement appropriate interventions and to grow your clinical reasoning skills. It may be "boring", but having a strong foundation in the "why" of our profession gives us more credibility. We're not just about art projects and "fun" activities for clients. What we do needs to be grounded in strong reasoning, or we are not providing skilled intervention and therefore, are unnecessary as a profession. Fieldwork is really where a lot of the hands-on application happens.

Also, part of graduate school is learning to figure stuff out for yourself. Your hand will not be held. Not by your professors, and not by your fieldwork educators. No one holds your hand in the real world either. Do your work, think critically.

I've heard many OT students echo your sentiments, so I would say that what you're experiencing is pretty normal! Theory guides evaluation and intervention--COTAs can contribute to this, but OTs are the ones who develop the final plans and really understand the why behind it all. All the theory that we learn as OT students helps distinguish us from COTAs. (That being said, there are some extremely capable COTAs out there!)

Like others have said, your fieldwork experiences are likely where your clinical skills will develop the most. Fieldwork educators will understand that you don't know it all and will be there to guide you! You will have the basic clinical reasoning skills to get through your level 2s, and they will carry you forward as you begin your career. The real world isn't as cookie-cutter as some of what we learn in the classroom, but the theory that will guide your clinical reasoning is what will get you through!