The Wow I wish my parents were more understanding thread :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with their parents thinking getting into medical school is easy?

I wish my parents were more supportive. Unfortunately, SDN and a few friends will have to become my support group :)

Members don't see this ad.

DrVanNostran said:
Does anyone else have a problem with their parents thinking getting into medical school is easy?

I wish my parents were more supportive. Unfortunately, SDN and a few friends will have to become my support group :)

Yeah, it is weird. My mom is like, "you are going to have a part time job while your going school, right?" ME: yeah sure mom, I was actually going to continue to work full-time." Little does anyone know, I am not working right now... :D

Hey, med school skool is going to be hectic come august, I am done with work... :laugh:

pico61 said:
Yeah, it is weird. My mom is like, "you are going to have a part time job while your going school, right?" ME: yeah sure mom, I was actually going to continue to work full-time." Little does anyone know, I am not working right now... :D

Hey, med school skool is going to be hectic come august, I am done with work... :laugh:

LOL :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty funny. My wife's side of the family is mostly rural countryfolk who have no value for education, only blue-collar manual labor, which I have done my share of in the past year.

You should have seen the fun we had when they found out my wife will be working full-time as a RN and I will, "just be going to medical school" :laugh:

Since I decided to do HPSP, it has helped a little. I have tried to explain things to them and a few understand, but others never will. Ah well.

I'm lucky because my parents totally get it -- my older brother's a doctor, so they've been through it before. It also helps that he was a reapplicant, so they think it's super-super hard to get in and are very supportive. :) My coworkers are clueless, though. I've had several ask me if I'm going to keep my job next year and go to school at night. Yeah, that works with med school. I guess I've always been around premed people, so it's surprising that most people know so little about both getting into medical school and what medical school entails.

when i found out i didn't get in anywhere, my parents wanted to know who they needed to go talk to :rolleyes:
they also say, well your aunt is a doctor, yes, she sure is, she's a chiropractor, not exactly what i want to do....it doesn't help we have family who are MDs

LOL, our parents are pretty funny, especially if they came from overseas. Personally, my parents think im a nut for not getting in. :confused:

I think we should for an organization for them: IPPM--Ignorant Parents for Pre-Meds

Do you ever just know or get the feeling that your parents or family has stopped believing in you? Its weird, I got my St. George acceptace letter earlier this week and it is my back up back up if I just do horrendously on this upcoming MCAT and dont get in this year. But I know that I can get in here, I just need that one glimmering chance.

Anyways, my parents are like NO, you are going to SGU, you wont get in here. Before anyone flames me, I know this is my decision, but it just hurts a lot that my Dad especially doesnt beleive in me. I dont know about this anymore, life sucks.

Sorry to blab, just needed to let it out.

DrVanNostran said:
Do you ever just know or get the feeling that your parents or family has stopped believing in you? Its weird, I got my St. George acceptace letter earlier this week and it is my back up back up if I just do horrendously on this upcoming MCAT and dont get in this year. But I know that I can get in here, I just need that one glimmering chance.

Anyways, my parents are like NO, you are going to SGU, you wont get in here. Before anyone flames me, I know this is my decision, but it just hurts a lot that my Dad especially doesnt beleive in me. I dont know about this anymore, life sucks.

Well, I am finishing medical school. I never thought I could make it, actively tried to find the exit door more than once. Am really not that super bright, kind of average/below average student in medical school. Parents never wanted me to go, but have been supportive all along and are even footing the bill though they wanted me to have a more normal job.

They believe in me, it's more like I don't believe in myself. Feel so frail.

Yeah, I wish I had more parental support during the process. My mom was great, she always wanted me to be a doc, but she was cautious about putting 'pressure' on me to think that med school was the ONLY way. She was supportive every step of the way financially and emotionally.

My dad, OTOH, was absolutely against it because he had quit his research position at a med school and began working for BigPharm company. He realized there was a lot of money to be had in corporate and decided that med school, for all it's "economic rewards", was not needed in order to get paid a lot of money.

Added on top of the fact that he thought I was 'too old', it costs "too much money" (his money, even though I was willing to forego his financial support)and that I was wishy washy because I was an engineer in my previous job, he resisted every step of the way.

At my most vulnerable point in the application process, i.e when I was climbing an uphill battle with my GPA/MCAT (retaking MCAT and taking a few science courses), he needled me about my choices and 'changing my mind' about my career at the old age of 25 and made some cruel remarks about my MCAT score (because a friend's daughter got 36 so he assumed that was a 'normal' score and mine was below that so therefore I must be really dumb).

He was Chinese too, and he was doing this while his friends were all trying to push their kids into medicine....yeah, no need to explain the irony to me :rolleyes: .

Well, after having undergo all that, I got into two of my top choices for med school, and he's finally come around. I think the turning point was when I started getting interview offers and he realized I had a realistic chance of getting into med school, and also his BigPharm company started laying off and downsizing and he felt his nice corporate job was no longer safe---I think it occurred to him then that medicine may offer better better job security and high income than working in corporate offices as a mid level worker.

So here I am, two years after restarting my medschool dreams, a year after quitting my job and a month after my final acceptance to my top choice, I will be attending med school with both my parents' full support. I think the biggest problems with nonparental support of med school are that:

1. They think it's easy to get in and can't figure out why we kill ourselves trying to get in and/or reapply.

AND/OR

2. They don't think it's 'worth it'. It's too long, too hard, too much money.

AND/OR

3. They think medicine sucks as a career because we can make so much money in IB or law----never mind that checking careers solely for monetary purposes, especially in demanding fields as business and law, is a horrible way to pick a job.

But I think once we get that acceptance, once parents see the hardships of medicine before and after acceptances, they will come to realize it's not easy, it's something we do have a passion for, and (hopefully), it is worth it in the long run.

My parent are not very much in the "knows" but relatively supportive of the process. Although they are busy working and taking care of other things, I think that they know that it is extremely difficult process. When I go home from my dorm, my parents become very observative of my behavior sometimes...of course they do this without letting me know that they are. One time, my mom told me that "you seemed to be little more quiet than usual when you were here last weekend." That is when I realized that they were actually very concerned about the process. I think that they are most fearful of how devastated I will be if I don't get in. And I worry about how worried they will become if I do not get in. :)

If you ask me, I think that parents also need time to cope with us being sad, concerned, fatigued...etc. Give some time, let them digest things in their own ways. After all they are our parents, the source of undying love.

too sentimental? :D :D

ULTRA nerves said:
If you ask me, I think that parents also need time to cope with us being sad, concerned, fatigued...etc. Give some time, let them digest things in their own ways. After all they are our parents, the source of undying love.

too sentimental? :D :D

My mother's "undying love" went belly up a while back...her support (even the facade) went before that. She always wanted me to do something traditionally creative. I did. I thought about being a doctor every single day while doing it. Which is probably why I am a non-trad.

If you have parents that support your med dreams...treasure it. :love: Seriously. Mine jumped off the bandwagon loooooong ago.

How are you doing? Sorry about your situation... this whole process can be extremely frustrating. It's sad how your parents have reacted, but remember that it is frustrating for them too... to see you go through what you are going through. Sometimes when people are frustrated they might say or act in ways that they really dont mean. You can always prove them wrong...if you are planning on taking the April MCAT, just focus on that...dont let what ANYONE says bother you. Also, despite what your parents have said they are very proud of you. I wish you the very best on the upcoming MCAT... all of this will be history one day.

stella81
DrVanNostran said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I found this thread, because I've been wanting to rant about my parents for the past week or so! They certainly are funny in this process. . .

I had my first interview this year in September, and for three or four months afterwards my dad would ask me practically every day if I"d heard from that school, or he would ask when they were going to let me know (and he'd be mad about it, like "I don't understand why those #$@* can't let you know) even though I patiently told him that i probably wouldn't hear until May (semi-rolling admissions). It used to make me so mad because it was like a constant reminder that my future was in the hands of an adcom and also becuase it made me feel like a failure because I hadn't gotten in yet.

My mom cried when I got my rejection letter from this same school. It was awful. I was expecting it and had tried to be realistic about the process this year (since I was a reapplicant this time around) so I wouldn't set myself up for disappointment like I did last year.

My mom has reacted to my rejections by smothering me. I had to go out to interview for a summer program over the weekend and she came ,she drove most of the way, and she practically waited on me the whole weekend. I am living with my parents right now (definitely not recommended :laugh: but I can barely afford my health insurance so I have to make sacrifices somewhere) and I feel like I'm 16 years old the way they treat me (I'm 24). My 17 year old brother has more freedom and privacy right now than I do! It's bad enough to be rejected two years in a row and have to tell your parents each time a rejection letter comes in (got 12 this year) but when you can't even go in a room and shut the door and have a good cry then it's just unbearable. i can't even get in my car and leave because my dad borrows my car a lot so I have to check with everybody before I go somewhere. How embarassing is that?

So I guess this sounds stupid because my parents are technically supportive, but they aren't handling it like adults and they aren't treating me like an adult. I don't need to be protected, I don't need to be comforted, I just want some space, independence and privacy. :mad: I'd give just about anything right now to be able to move away to a med school. :oops:

Here's an idea: most of us were successful in high school and college, and our parents have never really had to deal with the possibilty of failure for us. At least for me, I always made A's, did fine on standardized tests, and had no problem with anything I ever did. Then I get rejected two years in a row and it's like I'm worrying about their reactions more than I'm worrying about my future. I haven't even told my dad about my one rejection I got in February because he has hypertension and the last thing I want to do is set that off.

And the thought of another year of reapplying and living around here? Oh man, that just about makes me want to curl up and die right now. I'm not a suicidal person, I usually don't get depressed, but I'm thinking some Prozac would be great right about now. :idea: :rolleyes:

Hang in there, guys. It's got to get better ,right? :luck:

stella81 said:
How are you doing? Sorry about your situation... this whole process can be extremely frustrating. It's sad how your parents have reacted, but remember that it is frustrating for them too... to see you go through what you are going through. Sometimes when people are frustrated they might say or act in ways that they really dont mean. You can always prove them wrong...if you are planning on taking the April MCAT, just focus on that...dont let what ANYONE says bother you. Also, despite what your parents have said they are very proud of you. I wish you the very best on the upcoming MCAT... all of this will be history one day.

stella81

Hey thanks:) I know what you are saying, I guess the utter depression is the only thing in my mind now. I guess I cant see the positives anymore heh..but I do know what you are saying and I do agree..

Sally, you and I have a lot in common...24, not gettin in, living with parents (not good), barely can afford insurance, lol..you are my twin, except im indian :laugh:

My family is supportive but at the same time very negative. they are always comparing me with other people. they have no idea of how hard it is to get a good MCAT score and how the whole application process.

Also I am going to be a reapp next year if I don't get in to WVU where I am on a waitlist. They think by not getting in this year I am wasting a year. They keep on mentioning that I am about to waste a year of my life. I just don't understand why is it that big of a deal. It's not like I have taken years off and decided now that I want to go to med school. Next year will be the first year I will be out of college or school in general.

They want me and my siblings to me doctors. but i don't want to become a doctor because of them, its because I want to. also according to them that is the only career that is out there. and they are basically telling my siblings that you have to be a doctor. my younger sister and brother are in high school (10th grade) and their major life decisions have basically been made for them. i don't think my brother righht now wants to become a doctor, he's more into computers and technology. they aren't even doctors. so they really don't know if that is the way to go. they have no idea what med student go through in med school, and in residency, and finally when you are a full doctor and the hard work that goes into getting into med school.

well that's a big enough rant about my parents.

My parents are pretty insistant about me going to med school. They use to tell me I had to go to med school since i was like 7 years old. Lately they ve been pushing me a lot to "just go to the carribean" and start med school already. Especially since my sister and two of my cousins finished college in 3 years and are applying there for the next semester (fall, they ll likely get in). Imagine how embarrising it is to have your little sister pass you up on this entire process.

Its kinda frustrating bc they keep comparing me to other people and how so and so's kid got in to blah and how so and so is doing this. I think they mainly want me to hurry so they can show of to their friends that their son is in med school....bla. *(mainly my mom).

NRAI2001 said:
My parents are pretty insistant about me going to med school. They use to tell me I had to go to med school since i was like 7 years old. Lately they ve been pushing me a lot to "just go to the carribean" and start med school already. Especially since my sister and two of my cousins finished college in 3 years and are applying there for the next semester (fall, they ll likely get in). Imagine how embarrising it is to have your little sister pass you up on this entire process.

Its kinda frustrating bc they keep comparing me to other people and how so and so's kid got in to blah and how so and so is doing this. I think they mainly want me to hurry so they can show of to their friends that their son is in med school....bla. *(mainly my mom).

that's the same for me.. they always say so and so's kid got in and they were pushing me earlier this cycle to go to carribean. to them "saving a year" by going to caribbean would be way better then "wasting a year" and going to a school in US.
although my younger sister and cousins have not passed me. but i am sorry to hear that you are in that situation. but look at it in the long run, you will go to med school in US where they'll go to caribbean and when you are applying to residency you will have that advantage over them.

mustangsally65 said:
I'm glad I found this thread, because I've been wanting to rant about my parents for the past week or so! They certainly are funny in this process. . .

I had my first interview this year in September, and for three or four months afterwards my dad would ask me practically every day if I"d heard from that school, or he would ask when they were going to let me know (and he'd be mad about it, like "I don't understand why those #$@* can't let you know) even though I patiently told him that i probably wouldn't hear until May (semi-rolling admissions). It used to make me so mad because it was like a constant reminder that my future was in the hands of an adcom and also becuase it made me feel like a failure because I hadn't gotten in yet.

My mom cried when I got my rejection letter from this same school. It was awful. I was expecting it and had tried to be realistic about the process this year (since I was a reapplicant this time around) so I wouldn't set myself up for disappointment like I did last year.

My mom has reacted to my rejections by smothering me. I had to go out to interview for a summer program over the weekend and she came ,she drove most of the way, and she practically waited on me the whole weekend. I am living with my parents right now (definitely not recommended :laugh: but I can barely afford my health insurance so I have to make sacrifices somewhere) and I feel like I'm 16 years old the way they treat me (I'm 24). My 17 year old brother has more freedom and privacy right now than I do! It's bad enough to be rejected two years in a row and have to tell your parents each time a rejection letter comes in (got 12 this year) but when you can't even go in a room and shut the door and have a good cry then it's just unbearable. i can't even get in my car and leave because my dad borrows my car a lot so I have to check with everybody before I go somewhere. How embarassing is that?

So I guess this sounds stupid because my parents are technically supportive, but they aren't handling it like adults and they aren't treating me like an adult. I don't need to be protected, I don't need to be comforted, I just want some space, independence and privacy. :mad: I'd give just about anything right now to be able to move away to a med school. :oops:

I actually think how your parents act is really sweet. They sound like my parents who will always treat me like I'm 12 years old. They're just really worried for you & express it in the only ways that they know how -- by "smothering" you (like your mom does) or acting angry for you (like your dad does).. i'm sure in their eyes, you'll always be their baby (no matter how frustrating that can seem), but a positive aspect of that is that everyone needs to be taken care of sometimes and occasionally it's just a relief to know that your parents are still your parents and just want to take care of you and want the best for you.. even when you're a decrepid 24 year old. ;)

But I can understand how their behavior could be grating when you're stressed and a bit depressed, but maybe just try mentioning that to them... not telling them that they're totally annoying, but just kindly letting them know that they should try not to worry so much and that you're an adult now. I know my parents sometimes need to be reminded of that very thing, and then they get flustered and back off a bit. :) I know in their heads they worry just as much as they did before, but they do it a bit more quietly/unobstrusively.

Anyways, you're pretty lucky I think... your family sounds like they love you a lot and will always be there for you. Just try to enjoy the fact that for now you dont have to worry about money, rent, food... and when you get into school you'll be able to live a more private life again. :)

And don't give up on med school -- it will happen. :luck:

I have never posted in this forum before but this thread caught my eye on the main board, and I admit, it brings back memories!

I am an intern now, and am matched in ophthalmology for this coming year, so life is pretty good (well, it will be when internship is over). However, here are some thoughts:

1. Parents/friends/neighbors/in-laws/patients not understanding what you're going through is just beginning. If you enter the field of medicine, expect to be forever explaining what an intern/resident is, what different specialties are (the only ones lay-people understand are "pediatrics" and "ENT". The rest, all of them, you have to explain, over and over and over), and how incredibly hard you have to work when you are in training.

2. The worst example will not be your parents. It will be the constant insinuation (sp?) by everyone, from nurses to your relatives, that whatever is done to you, whether it is a debt of $300,000 or waking you up in the middle of the night for a BS phone call of "Should I take my Kefflex now or in the morning?", it is all OK because, hey, you're going to be a doctor and you're going to be rich, rich, rich! When you're staring at massive debt in one hand and a starting salary of $120k and your 35th birthday in the other, this can be very frustrating. Especially when your friends who got their business or computer science degree have been making that much for 5-10 years now.

3. For those of you waiting another year rather than going to a foreign or DO school, I say, congratulations. You are making the right decision. Some of the best students in my class applied 4 times (I can think of two off the top of my head). One is an orthopedic surgery resident. The other is an ER resident. The point is this: when it comes to residency, you are in a totally different league if you are a US-educated MD than if you are a foreign grad/DO. Your residency options are severely limited in the second group. Having applied for ophthalmology, I have seen this first hand.

My parent's seem to be a bit bipolar for this whole process. They keep giving me numbers of people to talk to who had to reapply (my mom's coworker's niece, my sister's personal trainer, etc.) but then other times they tell me maybe I should do something else, Some days they're all "yea! You're gonna do it! I believe in you!" and then they'll switch to "Are you sure you're really going to improve your PS score this time?"

kpatel said:
My family is supportive but at the same time very negative. they are always comparing me with other people. they have no idea of how hard it is to get a good MCAT score and how the whole application process.

Also I am going to be a reapp next year if I don't get in to WVU where I am on a waitlist. They think by not getting in this year I am wasting a year. They keep on mentioning that I am about to waste a year of my life. I just don't understand why is it that big of a deal. It's not like I have taken years off and decided now that I want to go to med school. Next year will be the first year I will be out of college or school in general.

They want me and my siblings to me doctors. but i don't want to become a doctor because of them, its because I want to. also according to them that is the only career that is out there. and they are basically telling my siblings that you have to be a doctor. my younger sister and brother are in high school (10th grade) and their major life decisions have basically been made for them. i don't think my brother righht now wants to become a doctor, he's more into computers and technology. they aren't even doctors. so they really don't know if that is the way to go. they have no idea what med student go through in med school, and in residency, and finally when you are a full doctor and the hard work that goes into getting into med school.

well that's a big enough rant about my parents.

you're desi right? your parents remind me of my friends...neither of us have acceptances yet, & she's like why why going out doing the desi mom recon stuff saying you have higher scores than so&so. this past weekend she told my friend to give it up, it didn't work out, how about she find a nice doctor for her instead. :laugh: :smuggrin: my poor friend, at least my mom's not like that, though I hate going to parties b/c it's all the parents comparing their kids :scared:
my brother had to go to law school, they made him. the other one has to be an engineer. i was the unlucky one picked to be the doctor :rolleyes:

PariPari said:
you're desi right? your parents remind me of my friends...neither of us have acceptances yet, & she's like why why going out doing the desi mom recon stuff saying you have higher scores than so&so. this past weekend she told my friend to give it up, it didn't work out, how about she find a nice doctor for her instead. :laugh: :smuggrin: my poor friend, at least my mom's not like that, though I hate going to parties b/c it's all the parents comparing their kids :scared:
my brother had to go to law school, they made him. the other one has to be an engineer. i was the unlucky one picked to be the doctor :rolleyes:

yes I am desi. I just don't understand how our (indian) parent's think. it is so frusturating when our parents basically pick our profession for us without our input.

PariPari said:

Your desi parents forced your bro to be a lawyer (or did he want to)? Thats wierd how they forced you guys all to become different things. Most parents are infatuated with one field and "force" their children into that field, whether it be medicine, dental, law, engineering.

How can your parents "force" you into a field. Pick your own field and stick with it, they ll get over the hurt feelings. If medicine is what you want to do then do it (dont care about their nagging). If its dental then go for it.....etc

PS I am desi also.

NRAI2001 said:
Your desi parents forced your bro to be a lawyer (or did he want to)? Thats wierd how they forced you guys all to become different things. Most parents are infatuated with one field and "force" their children into that field, whether it be medicine, dental, law, engineering.

How can your parents "force" you into a field. Pick your own field and stick with it, they ll get over the hurt feelings. If medicine is what you want to do then do it (dont care about their nagging). If its dental then go for it.....etc

PS I am desi also.

i must confess, i'm not desi, I'm persian....BUT i have desi friends & i've realized our parents are the same type of crazy...he was sort of ambivalent to it & decided he could use it for his interests, plus, pro-soccer player was a little out of his reach.
it's not so much forcing, but the suggestive nature of it, kinda like commercials. after a while it's this subliminal message, plus I do want to be a doctor.

I'm desi and my dad pretty much disowned me when I told him i'm planning on doing a postbacc, then reapplying to medschool cuz i didn't get in.

SO, here i am =) thanks SDN!

IWannaBe-A-Dr said:
I'm desi and my dad pretty much disowned me when I told him i'm planning on doing a postbacc, then reapplying to medschool cuz i didn't get in.

Sorry to hear that....did your dad disown you because you did not get in or that you decided to do postbacc before you re-apply again?

IWannaBe-A-Dr said:

Hey our dads seriously must be brothers. Im about 2 months from being kicked out, waiting on my Loyola decision. IF I dont get in ill probably do one last masters and apply again.

But hey at least you still have samosas and pakoras :)

NRAI2001 said:

I remember you from the SGU threads lol, if we both never get in we can be room mates and $#$# about our situation lol

This is why I didn't tell my parents I was applying to med school. I have a good job, a house, just married, etc. My parents idea of a perfect life is for me to "settle down." So I let them live that little dream until I got accepted. Then I just told them I was going to med school. Done. They couldn't argue it. :laugh:

Khenon said:
This is why I didn't tell my parents I was applying to med school. I have a good job, a house, just married, etc. My parents idea of a perfect life is for me to "settle down." So I let them live that little dream until I got accepted. Then I just told them I was going to med school. Done. They couldn't argue it. :laugh:

Grats!! I read your profile and you are amazing! Good luck in med school :luck:

He disowned me basically because of both: 1st, i didn't get in on my first round...2nd, because now i;m gonna be paying more money for a postbacc (but it's my own money made from working)

i'm already not living home, hahah something tells me i'm not gonna be welcome to live at home until i get into medschool. but oh well, i prefer living on my own. my problem was my first two years in college. partied way too hard, then the last couple years, i kicked MAJOR ass. i just need one more year of that and probably a masters to make up for my ****tiness =\...oh well, not worried about time too much, just want to get to med school.

DrVanNostran said:
But hey at least you still have samosas and pakoras :)

my mom makes hella bomb ass aloo tikis, too bad i live in southern california and she's in the bay hahaha :rolleyes:

DrVanNostran said:
I remember you from the SGU threads lol, if we both never get in we can be room mates and $#$# about our situation lol

:laugh: :thumbup:

I have a feeling this thread will explode when after the results of the April MCAT...

I am re-taking the MCAT and April 22nd is getting closer and closer. Pressure and stress is getting more and more. I have to increase my verbal score and at the same time keep my science scores up.
My classes right now are not helping the situation any. I have so many things going on this week and next week. My VR score isn't as high as I want it to be.

why are parents not understanding and not supportive? i just don't understand why they have to be like that.

kpatel said:
I am re-taking the MCAT and April 22nd is getting closer and closer. Pressure and stress is getting more and more. I have to increase my verbal score and at the same time keep my science scores up.
My classes right now are not helping the situation any. I have so many things going on this week and next week. My VR score isn't as high as I want it to be.

I know how you feel K, the pressure is mounting for me as well. On the 22nd we have to keep only us in mind. We cant think of what our parents think or feel. The 22nd as selfish as it sounds, is our day. I hope everything is alright with you.

About verbal, just stay confident and keep the main idea in your head.

Hope all is well :)

DrVanNostran said:
I know how you feel K, the pressure is mounting for me as well. On the 22nd we have to keep only us in mind. We cant think of what our parents think or feel. The 22nd as selfish as it sounds, is our day. I hope everything is alright with you.

About verbal, just stay confident and keep the main idea in your head.

Hope all is well :)

Thanks. Things are going well for me. How about you? I hope your Verbal's improving. Mine never stays consistent. Good luck with studying and on the 22nd.

I was reading this thread, and although I got into med school the first time, I feel your pain as far as family is concerned. I am first to gradu. hs, college, and go to med school...but they think i could just pick any med school i want, so i get yelled at for not going closer to home. All through undergrad, I always got questioned about my MCAT/GPA cause they want to compare me to that one other person they know that got into med school. :confused: I have adapted a role of silence and refuse to speak about the process. AND here's the kicker, I am going to a DO school...try explaining that to ppl who have never been in the medical profession. It doesnt matter that my school is excellent and ranks high they still ask...so you're gonna be a doc, right? :mad: I think we need to educated pre-med parents, perhaps host a seminar...and soon, cause my parents think i can still work and go to med school :scared:

My dad's friend, who is more like family, said to me the other day I should just give up on med school and focus on training for the 2010 Olympics in figure skating. Yea sure, like that's more realistic. He decided he wants to see me in the figure skating, and his now 15 year old son playing hockey in the same Olympic games. Uh huh, sure.

these posts are funny as hell, i guess I can relate.
my mom is the big problem, but I guess since I am reapplying she is realizing it is hard. and my younger brother went to carib and is studyin for step 1 already. I'm just working and waiting.
the 2nd time i studied for mcats, it was hell cuz of my mom, she gave me so much drama and said I was a failure and wont be successful in being a doctor (cuz Im stupid compared to my smart ass br and sister they were both in honors).
anyway, she got me so depressed the whole summer, I couldnt concentrate for the damn test. All summer I would cry, attempt to study and cry some more and hit things to release my anger (in my room). man it sucked, i got a 24 but that was the hellest summer ever.
i just wanted to be left alone and not be criticised, i guess she was angry w/ me since I didnt get any acceptances and my grades were not straight As and that I couldnt get a job after graduating in my field right away. I guess cuz she immigrated here from overseas, so doesnt understand and I am the oldest so theres a first time for everything.
so during my 3rd time for this mcat, i didnt tell my parents at all! man it was a lot easier cuz there was not stress, pressure or criticism,etc. but it was also hard cuz I couldnt talk bout it and had to hide my books and be discrete about it. I think my mom may have an inkling, but I said nothing even after the test, but I did tell my sis an br, so they may have told them after the test. I guess I was a lazy ass, so my mom was kinda angry with me; but its not all my fault, other people are goin thru similar probs, economy is bad so there are not good jobs, ete etc. she just didnt understand that its really hard. my dad was cool and more understanding, prob cuz he knows of other parents and their kids how much they had to work for it.

anyway, good luck, we'll make it if we want it bad enuf. :luck:

mari1126 said:
these posts are funny as hell, i guess I can relate.
my mom is the big problem, but I guess since I am reapplying she is realizing it is hard. and my younger brother went to carib and is studyin for step 1 already. I'm just working and waiting.
the 2nd time i studied for mcats, it was hell cuz of my mom, she gave me so much drama and said I was a failure and wont be successful in being a doctor (cuz Im stupid compared to my smart ass br and sister they were both in honors).
anyway, she got me so depressed the whole summer, I couldnt concentrate for the damn test. All summer I would cry, attempt to study and cry some more and hit things to release my anger (in my room). man it sucked, i got a 24 but that was the hellest summer ever.
i just wanted to be left alone and not be criticised, i guess she was angry w/ me since I didnt get any acceptances and my grades were not straight As and that I couldnt get a job after graduating in my field right away. I guess cuz she immigrated here from overseas, so doesnt understand and I am the oldest so theres a first time for everything.
so during my 3rd time for this mcat, i didnt tell my parents at all! man it was a lot easier cuz there was not stress, pressure or criticism,etc. but it was also hard cuz I couldnt talk bout it and had to hide my books and be discrete about it. I think my mom may have an inkling, but I said nothing even after the test, but I did tell my sis an br, so they may have told them after the test. I guess I was a lazy ass, so my mom was kinda angry with me; but its not all my fault, other people are goin thru similar probs, economy is bad so there are not good jobs, ete etc. she just didnt understand that its really hard. my dad was cool and more understanding, prob cuz he knows of other parents and their kids how much they had to work for it.

anyway, good luck, we'll make it if we want it bad enuf. :luck:

What school does your younger bro go to? How much younger is he.

I m kinda in the same boat. I am applying for masters programs for next year while my younger sister is applying for the carribean schools. I could have been at the carribean schools this year (stats are way above avg for them) but I dont know why i cant get myself to just accept them and stop wasting time. So i m gonna spend another year or two doing smps or masters programs. So by the time i m applying to med schools my sister probably will be studying for usmle.

NRAI2001 said:
What school does your younger bro go to? How much younger is he.

I m kinda in the same boat. I am applying for masters programs for next year while my younger sister is applying for the carribean schools. I could have been at the carribean schools this year (stats are way above avg for them) but I dont know why i cant get myself to just accept them and stop wasting time. So i m gonna spend another year or two doing smps or masters programs. So by the time i m applying to med schools my sister probably will be studying for usmle.

How old are you NRAI? Im pretty much in the same boat, I don't want to head to the carribeans just yet, I dont feel right about it. I have so many cousins going down there who are just out of high school and my parents think its the greatest thing in the world---I just wish parents realized that we are fully capable of making the right decision.

DrVanNostran said:
How old are you NRAI? Im pretty much in the same boat, I don't want to head to the carribeans just yet, I dont feel right about it. I have so many cousins going down there who are just out of high school and my parents think its the greatest thing in the world---I just wish parents realized that we are fully capable of making the right decision.

I am 23.

Yea actually a lot of my cousins are planning to go this coming fall and spring (i think 3 cousins?). Carribeans schools are cool, but i want to give the US schools atleast one shot.