[the worst case scenario]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayden87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a senior in 4 year college, majoring in bioengineering.
it might sound cheesy but i was not thinking of going to dental school, but my parents kept on giving me pressure to do so. so i did what i was told to do without my heart in it.
my freshman and sophmore year were terrible. my grades were very low.
i really didn't care about school, just didn't see a point in studying..
in sophmore year, i took organic chem which is required by my school if you were thinking of going to either med or dental school. I got a D and then a F.. and i recieved similar grades on most of my other classes.

i started changing in my junior year, and my grades started to go up.
it was time when i realized, i wanted to be a dentist myself.
i started to retake classes that i flunked out on, and i took the first organic chem course and got a B.
right now, as a senior, i am retaking the second organic chem, and i think i can get an A.
needless to say tho, i have to attend another year, not because my major program reguires me to, but i flunked out on many classes.
right now i am lookin at gpa of about 2.7 and if i finish this semester and my 5th year with a consistent grades as i am getting nowadays, i am looking at about 2.9 or 3.0.

i was thinking of studying DAT on my 5th year of college, and the summer after graduation, and taking it on october or so.
i do not have any volunteer work or shadowing experience.
only thing i did was work at a restaurant and a paid-intern over the summer of '09 for 2 months at a Life Science center in foreign country.
I was thinking of volunteering and shadowing in over the summer and on, while taking some more courses.

honestly, i really want to go to dental school now. not because my parents told me to do so, but it is now i who wants to go.
is there any possiblity for me to get in?
any words of advice will be greatly appriciated.
thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man,

I have personally had a bad GPA myself in undergrad, but I am in a masters program right now getting a M.S. in biology. The fact is that no matter how well you do on your DAT's your GPA is not going to be high enough. You should consider doing a Masters program or a post-bacc. This should help your GPA go up and adcoms will be able to see it. Other than that explain your situation honestly and let the adcoms decide for themselves through ure improvement and DAT scores. U cant fix the past, most people have a hard time understanding this but u need to fix the future, and if you really want to be a dentist then you will do under any circumstance, the chances you will be accepted right away after your 5th is slim to none.