The world of academic orthopaedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elperro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, good luck to all you applying for ortho right now. I'm in the same boat, and find myself very interested in MSK oncology. I didn't really want to be an academic orthopod, but given the nature of the specialty, it seems like I would likely have to work in a large academic center. Does anyone know what work setup is like in academia, i.e., lifestyle, salary, etc. Please don't flame me, I already know that if academic medicine is what I truly like, salary and lifestyle should not be a factor. What kind of gig can be had in academia?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. You get paid, regardless of what your patients pay. Do some work, publish, and have a good relationship with fellow surgeons. Very team-oriented. Enjoy the benefits of residents who round for you and do scut work. You'll make enough money to pay the bills, and drive a nice car.

Compare it to private practice; do your own work, bill and collect, be responsible for your staff. More headaches, but potential for much more money, provided you have a patient base that has insurance, and you have some idea of how to run a business.