The "Where Should I Go on Vacation?" Thread!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Rent a motorcycle and tour Japan.
2. Experience the midnight sun in Alaska
3. Tour the Amazon via houseboat before the jungle is completely gone.
4. Eat jerk goat on St.Kitts/Nevis. Real good diving/snorkeling. Go before the cruise ships take over.

Go someplace you've never gone before and do something completely out of your comfort zone...

1. Rent a motorcycle and tour Japan.
2. Experience the midnight sun in Alaska
3. Tour the Amazon via houseboat before the jungle is completely gone.
4. Eat jerk goat on St.Kitts/Nevis. Real good diving/snorkeling. Go before the cruise ships take over.

Go someplace you've never gone before and do something completely out of your comfort zone...

Based on what I've heard about what's in Mike's comfort zone, I'd say staying inside the comfort zone would be way more fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much time for this vacation?

What is your budget?

What do you want to do?
  • Veg out like a beach/lake local.
  • Site seeing kind of vacation.
Is your spouse going with you?

How far from your in-laws do you want to be?

Crap, I actually *did* go to a church once...nevermind. It a good story though.

There was this girl working at my hospital back in 2002 when I was going to WVU-Parkersburg. I was 19, she was 23, cute little thing...looked younger than me...and I looked like I was 16. Anyway, she was hella into me. Asking my coworkers what I think of her, being all flirty, **** like that. So she casually tells me she is very devout in this certain church...and that it scares some guys off. I was coming off a brief relationship, all my friends were at WVU-MoTown, I'm bored, she's all about me...not too bad looking, eh, hey, why not?

As a nonreligious existential stoic, I don't really care what the hell she believes...to an extent. I don't figure I could hang with a KKK member or something...or a Scientologist...or a person from Jersey. So that next weekend she is out of town...I figure, what the hell, she won't be there, I'll see WTF she's talking about and whether it is bad enough to actually scare me off.

I walk into this place, sit down, they pass around the donation jar, er, plate, er, whatever it is. The preacher man up there starts rambling on about something, I don't know what...don't really care....then the next thing I know, the woman next to me starts making these weird noises. First she's like, "Mmmmboidomay!!" Then she stops. Ok. Maybe she was sneezing or something...the preacher man goes on....20 seconds later, she raises her arms, starts shaking them, looks up with her eyes in the back of her head and screams a bunch of more phonetic salad "Iglabogram!!!" (The phonetic pieces of rambling are not direct quotes, but you get the idea.) Ok. WTF? Is this woman going tonic-clonic on me? Should I call 911? Then the next thing I know, the woman stands up, puts her arms in the air, and screams "Shakawa-shakawa-JEEEEESUS!!!" (Now THAT is an exact quote.) Then she turns her head and smiles at me with this unbelievably ****ed up look on her face. You know Private Pyles from Full Metal Jacket in the company head before he shoots Sgt. Hartman? THAT smirk.

200px-Full-metal-jacket-901.jpg

I was SCARED TO FREAKIN' DEATH! I swear on my freakin' Dave and Buster's Gold Card this really happened. I just kinda sat there for about 45 second....my face probably looking like this---> :eek: .....and I BOLTED THE **** OUT OF THERE.

Yeah, she was a nice girl...and a very nice piece of ***....and even today at age 27 she looks like she is 19 years old at most...but noooo way. Nu-huh.

So anyway, I tell everyone at work how kookie her religion is....she hears about it....she hates me for the rest of time....she gets into WVUSOP the year after me....and to this day she gives me that "I swear to god, I'm going to jab a steak knife into your jugular" look when I pass her in the hall or something.

As a footnote, the guy she started dating a few months later graduated with me in high school.....he told me she was a FREAK in bed.....which, of course, made me think I might have made a grievous mistake. But, I digress.

Ahhhh.....to be a teenager again....

How much time for this vacation?

A week.

What is your budget?

I dunno, up to a couple grand or so...maybe more.

What do you want to do?

- Go to Dave and Busters.
- See crap that might be interesting.
- Eat interesting things.
- And various things probably not appropriate for this forum that lie well within the "TMI" realm of things.

Is your spouse going with you?

Of course....

How far from your in-laws do you want to be?

Eh, whatever, they actually like me.

As a footnote, the guy she started dating a few months later graduated with me in high school.....he told me she was a FREAK in bed.....which, of course, made me think I might have made a grievous mistake. But, I digress.

Ahhhh.....to be a teenager again....
That must be a guy thing. I don't think the FREAKy thing is a turn-on. What did you expect? She goes to a crazy church.

efficient marathon runner >>>>> freak

I'm guessing the guy from work broke up with her, right?

That must be a guy thing. I don't think the FREAKy thing is a turn-on.

It depends. Some of that stuff they do in Germany and Japan is just ****ed up.

I'm guessing the guy from work broke up with her, right?

Nah, he went to the same school I did....didn't work with me....and I assume so. It'd be pretty weird otherwise...

It depends. Some of that stuff they do in Germany and Japan is just ****ed up.

Nah, he went to the same school I did....didn't work with me....and I assume so. It'd be pretty weird otherwise...

Don't remind me! My friend Uli wasn't shy around me; I'm still a little scarred.

I misread again. Excuse me, it was your former classmate.

Cancun can be affordable and beautiful! So can take a day trip to Riviera Maya or to islands Cozumel and Isla Mujeres... if you're beach people who like snorkeling then you should go there.

Definitely look into priceline for a good hotel deal. You just have to be flexible...

Consider San Antonio. There's a Sea World, a Six Flags, a decent zoo, lots of awesome food, AND a Dave and Buster's. Downtown has the Alamo (not very impressive to tell the truth) and the Riverwalk, which is gorgeous. It's only an 90 minutes away from Austin, which has great music, the largest urban bat colony in the U.S., and transvestite homeless guys on 6th street. You could stop in New Braunfels on the way to Austin and go to Schlitterbahn, which is consistently rated as one of the world's best waterparks. Or you could go southeast to Galveston or South Padre Island, which are supposed to be lots of drunken fun. Plus, San Antonio would probably be cheaper than San Diego. It's easy to get around San Antonio and the weather is usually nice and warm.

I'm going to San Diego next month for APhA2008, though, and I think that it will be a fun trip!

I would def. go to San Antonio this summer if I had the extra money. I went every year for 4 years in high school for national dance competitions and I am in love with the place. Luckily for me, my fiance went my senior year with us, and he fell in love with it, so we will be going back once we find some money :)

Consider San Antonio. There's a Sea World, a Six Flags, a decent zoo, lots of awesome food, AND a Dave and Buster's. Downtown has the Alamo (not very impressive to tell the truth) and the Riverwalk, which is gorgeous. It's only an 90 minutes away from Austin, which has great music, the largest urban bat colony in the U.S., and transvestite homeless guys on 6th street. You could stop in New Braunfels on the way to Austin and go to Schlitterbahn, which is consistently rated as one of the world's best waterparks. Or you could go southeast to Galveston or South Padre Island, which are supposed to be lots of drunken fun. Plus, San Antonio would probably be cheaper than San Diego. It's easy to get around San Antonio and the weather is usually nice and warm.

I'm going to San Diego next month for APhA2008, though, and I think that it will be a fun trip!
I'm trying to plan a road trip with some friends for this summer and many people have said to go there. Is San Antonio a place that 3-5 girls under age 20 would be safe going to and be able to have a lot of fun?

Have any of you been to the Bahamas or Costa Rica? I'm also trying to plan a family graduation trip and some advice about those places would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Baghdad is a nice place this time a year...

I was actually telling my husband to look into real estate in Baghdad when he goes over there this summer. I bet we could buy a nice stucco home for pretty cheap, it just would cost alot to keep armed guards around:p

I'm trying to plan a road trip with some friends for this summer and many people have said to go there. Is San Antonio a place that 3-5 girls under age 20 would be safe going to and be able to have a lot of fun?

Have any of you been to the Bahamas or Costa Rica? I'm also trying to plan a family graduation trip and some advice about those places would be great!

San Antonio is a beautiful place. I have been there once in 2006 with my family but we mostly did all the kids stuff like going to the childrens museum . Definitely looked like a safe place to me and I cann't wait to visit the place again. One of my classmates just got back today and from the pictures he posted on his facebook, i can tell he had loads of fun.

I'm going to DISNEYWORLD!!!

Eh, not my cup of tea. I actually like dirty cities. Philly is one of my favorite towns....

I know you've already decided, but, for future reference, I recommend Detroit or Cleveland. :D

In all seriousness, has anyone been to Portugal or Spain? I know the dollar's at an all-time low against the Euro, but on second thought, I'm not hedging bets that European vacations are going to get cheaper over the next five years either... so perhaps now might not be a bad time to visit Europe before ALL shnapps hits the fan ?

:confused:

Any thoughts?

In all seriousness, has anyone been to Portugal or Spain? I know the dollar's at an all-time low against the Euro, but on second thought, I'm not hedging bets that European vacations are going to get cheaper over the next five years either... so perhaps now might not be a bad time to visit Europe before ALL shnapps hits the fan ?

Any thoughts?

The is an astute observation and assumption.

woooo Duke SUCKS!! Oh, and good job WVU :thumbup:

It's just Duke. Who cares. I knew WVU was sweet 16 bound as soon as the brackets were announced. First, an overrated Pac 10 team that lost, like, 20 games or something. Then after that you face the biggest paper tiger in the universe, Duke. Please, WVU has accomplished nothing. Me and four of my friends would be in the sweet 16 with WVU's bracket.

Any thoughts?

I lived in Spain for quite a few years and visited Portugal every couple months...both are beautiful countries to visit. I'd jump at any opportunity to go if you get the chance. You're right...who knows what the Euro will be like in 5 years. Not too many people thought the Euro would even work though, and 5 years ago it was 1.06:1.

It's still somewhat possible to do Europe on the "cheap" though...avoid tourist traps while you're there, and try to travel during off-peak seasons. Europe's a lot more fun at these times anyways.

And if you're considering Portugal...be sure to stay at at least one Pousada; they're incredible. This was my favorite one: http://pousadasofportugal.com/portugal/estremoz.html

Thanks Spiriva, I'll look into it. I'm hoping to travel sometime this August, so I figure there's plenty of time to figure out the logistics...

oh and because this thread has seemingly become hijacked for an NCAA tourney purposes, go Bruins! :p

Aggiesomethingoranother rooting for UCLA? Someone who usually roots for Florida rooting for some other team I've never heard of....man.

You are all cowards. Pick ONE team. It's not that hard. Picking multiple teams isn't allowed. I am brave enough to root for a cursed team. And that's it. F everyone else. I hope every other team in the country has to forfeit every game because they all contracted tetanus. A real fan would say the same for their one team, too. The only exception is situational rooting. A team has to lose for something to happen. Or the team that plays Pitt. I'd root for anyone over Pitt. Doesn't matter who. I'd root for Al-Qaeda if they played Pitt.

lol, go UCLA - once in the UC system, always in the UC system! On a random note, did you see Stanford lose tonight? They played more more like Stanchevy...

:rolleyes:

Aggiesomethingoranother rooting for UCLA? Someone who usually roots for Florida rooting for some other team I've never heard of....man.

You are all cowards. Pick ONE team. It's not that hard. Picking multiple teams isn't allowed. I am brave enough to root for a cursed team. And that's it. F everyone else. I hope every other team in the country has to forfeit every game because they all contracted tetanus. A real fan would say the same for their one team, too. The only exception is situational rooting. A team has to lose for something to happen. Or the team that plays Pitt. I'd root for anyone over Pitt. Doesn't matter who. I'd root for Al-Qaeda if they played Pitt.

Heh, nahh...I'm a Gator at heart. And after two championships they've earned a break. But baby sis is a Muskie, and they have what did you say? 37 fans? So make it 38 now. ;) No fun to watch the tourny if you aren't rooting for someone!