The "W" Mark

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMRebelMed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior pursuing a B.S. in Biological Science. Last fall I had to withdraw from my calculus II class late in the semester for personal reasons and received a "W" on my transcript. I withdrew with an A, and took the course over in the spring and received an A. I haven't received anything lower than an A in any other course thus far, but I'm concerned about the withdrawal and its effects on my chances of getting into certain med schools. Is the "W" damaging, even if it the withdrawal was warranted and a good grade was achieved in the same course the following semester??
Thanks for your help. I really enjoy the web site!!!

Members don't see this ad.

UMRebel,

I wouldn't sweat it! If you had received several 'W's or had received poor grades subsequent to them, then it would be a concern. However, from what you have described, not a big deal at all.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I had 2 W's and my advisor said not to worry, b/c I retook the classes and got A or B. Don't think that would stop you either.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
With only one withdrawal and receive an A for that class later, I don't think you need to worry too much.

I don't think you have to worry about it at all. You can explain it either in your personal statement, which i don't think necessary, or at your interview. My college roommate got in UC Davis med school with a couple of W and a C.