The University of Vermont's Post Bac Premed Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dorothy Franklyn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on UVM's post bac program?

I was accepted. I would love to hear from current and former students (students who plan to attend would be nice, too).

Can post bac students live on campus?
Details of the program
-Size
-Quality
-Class Size
-MCAT Pre
-Workload
-Student Life
-Anything else I need to know

What's the music scene like in Burlington?
What's the culture like?

What do you wish you had know before starting the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Questions to ask yourself: Do I like maple syrup? Do I know the difference between real maple syrup and that aunt jemimah crap at walmart. Do I like ben&Jerrys? Do I love winter? Do I know how to drive in the snow? Am I the type of person that would help a stranger get their car unstuck after a storm? Am I ok with strangers offering me help with things all the time? Do I know the vermont specific uses of the word "wicked" and if not, am i willing to learn?

Burlington Vermont is like Portland, Oregon or Boulder, Colorado. I wouldn't recommend it to folks who've never owned a pair of winter boots. Or people who voted for trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thoughts on UVM's post bac program?

I was accepted. I would love to hear from current and former students (students who plan to attend would be nice, too).

Can post bac students live on campus?
Details of the program
-Size
-Quality
-Class Size
-MCAT Pre
-Workload
-Student Life
-Anything else I need to know

What's the music scene like in Burlington?
What's the culture like?

What do you wish you had know before starting the program?

This is a hilariously late reply. But I'm planning on applying to the post bacc program in a year after establishing residency. What was the process like for you getting in? Did you find out if post baccs can live on campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP for any UVM PMPB thoughts on the quality/accessibility of advisory in this program. My specific situation (Both a career changer + low GPA, but strong EC's) warrants a good deal of advisory, and I'm wondering if I might be better off in a smaller program to get more guaranteed facetime with the advisor(s). From what I've read the quality of advisory is good, but is it easy to get lost in the shuffle? Are office hours super crowded as well?

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

A

Haven’t attended UVM, but I visited and have been accepted. It seems like a pretty legit program, especially if you establish residency (or else it’s like 40k per year). I’m pretty sure the hospital on campus is the only level 1 trauma center north of Boston and they place about 90% into med school. Oh, and Burlington is a blast. However, I got the impression that the advisors don’t give you as much attention as they do at smaller programs and you’re pretty much on your own. But no matter where you go, keep in mind that it will not be an easy year.

Hope this helps!

Haven’t attended UVM, but I visited and have been accepted. It seems like a pretty legit program, especially if you establish residency (or else it’s like 40k per year). I’m pretty sure the hospital on campus is the only level 1 trauma center north of Boston and they place about 90% into med school. Oh, and Burlington is a blast. However, I got the impression that the advisors don’t give you as much attention as they do at smaller programs and you’re pretty much on your own. But no matter where you go, keep in mind that it will not be an easy year.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the impressions! I enrolled to start this fall and got a good first impression from talking with one of the advisors. I agree, it seems like you'll have to be more persistent to get facetime with the advisors because the program is larger than at smaller schools. On the other hand, there are multiple advisors (I believe there are 3?) whereas, at some of the small schools I visited, there was only 1 advisor for the whole program.

Looking forward to the grind, and revisiting this thread in a year when people have questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the impressions! I enrolled to start this fall and got a good first impression from talking with one of the advisors. I agree, it seems like you'll have to be more persistent to get facetime with the advisors because the program is larger than at smaller schools. On the other hand, there are multiple advisors (I believe there are 3?) whereas, at some of the small schools I visited, there was only 1 advisor for the whole program.

Looking forward to the grind, and revisiting this thread in a year when people have questions.
Well, the time is here - people have questions! People is me :) I am going to apply to the program next year! I love Burlington, and I love that their program has an Emergency Med Research elective..that is unique and I haven't seen anything like that offered in other programs. They boast a holistic review, which is important for me. I'm a non trad with an absolutely horrific undergrad transcript from 2015, but will be graduating with my 2nd bachelors in bio (kind of a DIY undergrad post bacc) next year and my GPA in this degree is about 3.85 cGPA; however, my cGPA will still be around 2.8. I have 6000+ hrs of direct patient care both in case management for a non profit in Portland OR and as an Emergency Dept Technician. I am wondering how holistic their review of applicants really is - do you think I would have a chance if I applied? Something I have found schools actually like, which I always thought was a setback, is that I'm an older applicant. I'll be 30 at the time of my SMP application.

Anyway this post is 2 years old, so I hope I get a reply! I also hope that you finished the program, absolutely loved it, and are loving whatever school or career you're engaged in now! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Hey did you end up going to UVM for your post bac? If so how was it? I have a few more days to decide if I want to go there or hold out for Scripps!

Hey did you end up going to UVM for your post bac? If so how was it? I have a few more days to decide if I want to go there or hold out for Scripps!
I have the same question for you!!!!! Lol

Reactions: 1 user