The Under M1 Club: Come on in! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

Sorry I haven't been posting much this past week, but I'm way behind in biopsych and had a ton to do this weekend and the rest of this week to finish it off by Thursday lol.

Biodude - Congrats on getting your fall schedule set, and getting into the cell bio section you wanted :). Sounds like HOAG and CPR are going well! Sorry you're not having much fun with your classes tho:( .

Cozmosis - Congrats on finishing your chem class with a good solid grade!

Agent - Sounds like the night program at Northwestern will be awesome! Bet you can't wait to start lol.

jenni - Sorry to hear your puppy isn't doing so good anymore:( . Hope he's feeling a bit better this week, I hate to see anybody (animal or human) in pain.

As for me I've pretty much just been studying, trying to get everything done that I need to before Thursday. Watched Lance Armstrong win his 5th Tour de France in a row. That guy is soo amazing! I've also got a couple interviews this week for workstudy. Tomorrow I'm going to talk to the Chem dept chair about doing research with him. He's apparently doing organic research to find synthetic suger analogs with disease treatment potential (such as cancer). Seems like it would be interesting and probably a decent complement to organic this year :). Thursday I have an appointment to talk about working in the lab stockroom if the research thing doesn't work out. I really hope it does tho. And I also sent an email to the director of the science learning center about my application to tutor (I have a feeling I don't have enough science classes under my belt yet for that, but tutoring would be fun too). Between the three I really hope to be hired for one of them because I really don't want to look outside the science building for work lol.

Actually just as I was writing this the slc director emailed me back. My app was stuck on the bottom of the envelope so she's gonna look at it tonite and let me know by Wed. If I have a choice I think I'll choose the research, but the slc would be fun and give me some study time anyway but who knows, there may be a bit of down time in the lab as well.

Anyway, I need to get back to studying so I'll be ready to take some tests tomorrow in biopsych.

Later all,
--Jessica, UCCS

Members don't see this ad.

NU should be awesome but ppl have been saying that what happens there is the real NU gunners from the day school take classes at night cause its a little less rigorous.

Then they try to get the highest marks and mess up the curve. I'm not too thrilled about that.

Hey all!

I have a job:clap: :D :clap: lol. This was probably the easiest interview I ever had lol. Dr. Schoffstall (chem dept chair) remembered me from an advising session that was held in the spring so I think I had it from the moment I walked in lol. He took me around and showed me all the individual labs and told me a bit about what his teams are doing (mostly synthesizing sugars and doing typical organic type stuff). To start I'll just be rerunning some of the organic lab experiments that were less thoroughly tested before the textbook was published a couple weeks ago to make sure they work the way they are supposed to since I haven't taken organic yet, but eventually I should be doing more of the types of things the rest of his team are doing. It's a foot in the door anyway lol. I go in Thursday morning to fill out the paperwork and establish a schedule. I'll most likely work 8-12, and 8-1 Tues and Fri and then a couple afternoons a week from like 3-5:30. It sounds like it's gonna be a great complement to organic which is a good thing since I always learn better by doing vs just reading lol.

On a not so good note I gave up on biopsych. I fell into an old, bad routine and as much as I wanted to finish it there just wasn't enough time. It'll be a major blemish but I'll make it up some other time...probably next summer (if I'm not doing an REU thing) with calculus. It got to the point that I was having pain in my right lower quadrant and nausea and a slightly elevated temp so I just gave up on it. I was starting to think I might have appendicitis lol, but I've been much better today so I think it was just stress reacting strangely on me. I hate when I do stupid stuff like that, and thought I was way past this particular pattern, but I guess it's still something I have to concentrate on to overcome. I'm beating myself up plenty, but not that I decided to not finish it I feel like a weight has been lifted.

Agent - Even if a few of the gunners do take the night classes I'm sure you'll be able to hold your own just fine:).

Hope everyone is having a good week so far!
--Jessica, UCCS

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about that agent. Gunners suck. And I hope people understand that gunners care more about grades and money that about taking care of people. I don't want to end up some haughty, pretentious sob. I'd like to be the kind of doctor that respected but not intimating.

Skaterbabe-Puppy seems to be feeling better today...he's back in an upswing. The vet said he's fine as long as he has more upswings than down-looking at him you'd never guess he was that sick!

That totally sucks about biopsych-but you can't ruin your health. You're not the only one, though...a woman I met through OPM told me today that she had to drop her summer calc class b/c she got in over her head when she hit antiderivatives (not that I know what that means but I'm sure you will:D ) Good thing I have a friend in the math lab this year-I'll need it. And congrats on the job! Knowing people helps...

Also-you'll appreciate this-I was able to land my first triple pirouette on pointe today:clap: I am so excited-I did it in my kitchen while practicing and then promptly couldn't repeat it! Oh well, if I've done it once I can do it again...but I still can't even hit a double consistently. For some reason I always push off a little too hard and tip my balance just enough so that if I try to go around more than once I tip too far over and can't save it, if you know what I mean by that....

Biodude-I know what you mean about the CPR class-mine was only three hours long and they went over everything so fast...I can't remember much now but I know if I ever need it, it will come back to me. At least you have a refresher coming up right away to reinforce it in your brain a little more...

agent-I couldn't agree more with what washkeep said. My personal thought is that even if they do mess up the curve, their arrogance will come across in interviews and cancel out any advantage they MAY wind up having over you in gpa-but we all know you'll do just fine:D And you'll have that coveted NW degree too...

Otherwise I'm just sitting here daydreaming. My husband and I watched The Real Cancun tonight and I've been kind of drifting in memories of our honeymoon there last year and trying to figure out a way to stretch financial aid to cover a spring break trip back next year. So far it's not working, but maybe if I can find a part-time job......sigh.....:(

I feel like such a schmuck sitting here dreaming about vacation while you guys are all working so hard on your classes and everything else school and medical-related.....Oh well only a month left and I'll be working my butt off too:laugh:

jenni~ Congrats on the triple pirouette!!:clap: I was en pointe for such a short time that I could barely do singles lol. And yes I totally know what you mean about pushing too hard in the first place so that you can't save it for a double or triple. You'll get both consistently tho...I'm sure of it :) Doing jumps in figure skating is very similar in that regard to doing pirouettes en pointe lol. You over rotate or under rotate a jump and you're off balance and either can't complete the rotation or can't save the landing.

I'm glad your puppy is back on the upswing. And I know I'm not the only one who's had troubles with a summer course, but I thought I was way way over this "procrastination until it's too late" pattern I had done way back in the early '90s. Unfortunately I couldn't drop the class anymore or even get an incomplete (I would have needed a doctor's note for either of those at this point and a major illness and of course I didn't have health coverage until today and now feel pretty much fine...sigh :( ....oh well, just another kink in my app i'll have to work out at a later date). DO or Great Britain overseas MD is sounding better and better lol cuz my AMCAS gpa is gonna absolutely suck. At least I have two full years to prove myself before sending out apps :).

The other nice thing about working on the organic chem stuff for a job will be that I'll get to use more of the machines than I would have in my organic lab class. We have two options for organic lab. One meets 1.5 times/week and the other 2 times a week. The 1.5 times a week is a lecture and lab whereas the 2 times/week is 2 labs so the 1.5/week doesn't do as much hands-on as the 2/week. Now at that advising session those of us who are bio/chem double majors complained that we couldn't take the 2/week class cuz it interferes with cell bio and that's the more fun lab. Well they added in another 2/week lab section but they added it during physics for life so I still couldn't take the 2/week lab :(. This way I'll get to use all the machines that we won't be using in my 1.5/week lab and they do use in the 2/week lab :). Yay!! (I know I'm a geek...I actually like labs hehe). I think I also got the job doing organic stuff because I have an advantage over most of the other gen chem finishers because I had honors lab instead of regular lab. That was mostly an organic lab anyway....synthesizing and getting the characteristics of an organic compound...so I've had an introduction to many of the machines that are used for organic testing...NMR spectrometers, IR spectrometers, and UV-VIS spectrophotometers. I hope it all turns out to be as good a complement as I think it will be lol.

As far as antiderivatives I don't blame your friend lol. They aren't that hard really, but it takes being able to think in completely the opposite direction from what you've been doing the rest of the semester and that's hard to switch back and forth between at first lol. Ie. the derivative of 8x^3 = 24x^2, and the antiderivative of 24x^2 = 8x^3, but the antiderivative of 8x^3 = 2x^4. It of course gets more complicated than that and classes often spend maybe a lecture or two on antidervatives vs 3 or 4 weeks learning how to do derivatives.

Anyway I'm off to pay a few bills and play for awhile. I'm done with everything until Aug 24th...thank god!

--Jessica, UCCS

Hey all,

it's been somewhat of a drag but I'm always here to read everyone's stories. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that my internet situation will be cleared up by August 4. So, until then, don't expect me to be making any replies on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, ok? :D

jenni4476 - All right! Looks like your doggie won't be dying all tired and sad :) I hope he's doing good enough to be happy at least.

Skaterbabe74 - Well, that sucks that you had to drop biopsych...but congrats on the job, anyway :)

agent - hey dude, no need to worry about the gunners if you show 'em who's boss, right? :p Besides, you mentioned that you were a bit of a gunner yourself, so maybe you can whip 'em up a new one ;)

All right, well history is easy but fast like I said before. I think that I could pull an A in that particular class if I just spent more time studying for it. As for Psych, it's hard to get an A. I think that I'll be happy to just get a B (higher than 60%). That class is insanely difficult, thanks to the professor's hard grading of the students. I definitely need to study for psych more.

Man, this week is going by way too slowly for me. I just want summer school to be done now, but I've got about two more weeks after this one :(

I have a general question: Why do ya'll want to be doctors? Are you called to it? Is it the patients, a family tradition, the challenge, the money, etc... ? ;)

I'm still in the process of figuring out if I want to be a doctor. I know for sure, I want to work in clinical healthcare and earn an advanced degree. Whether it is an MD or DO not sure yet. The way the human body works facinates me, I could learn about it for hours which inspires me to suck up as much information as possible (and then repeat it to all my friends who could careless). I think I'm a good people person with an above average personality (meaning I'm not a boring, super serious stiff, not that all doctors are but some are kind of boring) and I want to know that at the end of the day I helped someone and I made a difference. I've explored Nursing, Physcians Assistant, Physical Therapy and kept coming back to premed because of the comprehensive education and practice and chance to make decisions and be a leader. Can I get that in the other areas theoretically yes but realistically not sure it happens. So I'm taking it slow, attending class part time, taking things right now that could go towards pre-med or pre-PT. BTW, I'm 29 and work in marketing currently. So changing careers would/will be a big step and big sacrafice, need make sure I'm making the correct decision.

Hope that helps. It helped me to write it all out.

I'm very academic, and IMO doctor is the highest professional level I can get to.

I probably wont do it since im being pressured by the fam to possibly do something easier. Its at least an hour drive to NW each day. Yeah I can be a bit of a gunner so I'm not worried about challenging these NW students academically.

I'm just worried they will be able to outdo me since they will have so much more time.

HI all!!

I haven?t been around for awhile but I have been working on a couple of essays. I finally finished the one that was bugging my brain the most!! I am soo relieved to have turned it in?

Skaterbabe, congrats on the job. It should really help you with Organic Chemistry. I too am more of a ?learn by doing person?, but I have also found that I work better with visual aids and hands on experience.

Agent, I have always found gunners to be annoying. But from what I gather, it is really hard not to run into them in competitive classes. So it seems we have to deal with those cut-throat types everywhere.

Jenni, I?m not an animal person but the idea of a little puppy being ill just seems so sad. I hope he(?) feels better soon.

My neice wants to skate but my sister is debating the issue right now. I wanted to dance (as most people on here knows) but my dad was against it. I practiced on my own and became very "good", especially at jumping and spinning. I never got the chance to see that dream come to fruition but now pre-med seems to take up most of my time. (Altho I feel a ?call? from the Arts every now and then.)

PS Wouldn?t it be funny if we were all gunners at heart and didn?t know it???
:D ;)

I know I'm a little late (compared to when this thread started) but I just wanted to say I am beginning my 3rd year at school, Bio major with hopes of Med school so count me as an official member of the under M1 club! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a stupid question but: What is a gunner?:confused:

<font color="blue"><b>HOW are you</b>•:clap:
I have post anything for some time, I was busy
i just finished my Summer Sesion ,it was great i might even overcome the 3.00. In this Summer Sesion I did a course on html, i enjoy the class .
<p>
we even ended up making a web page for my school which will go on the net. Additionally I was happy because i got an A on this course:D. I haven't seen an a for a long time . I also took the ENG 190(comps.II)
<p>
I also had the oppporunity to volunteer for one whole month teaching 9-13 kids. I had forgotten how kids are at that age. I was the teacher 's helper (another slu student). I even got to teach them computer class on my own.
they did fun thing such powerpoint presentations, plays ,game, make mask,sing.
I learned a lot it helped managed kids since i ant to be a pediatrician.
<p>
*biodude:- taichi class was awesome i love it , continue practicing . The type I practice i called XIN YI.
*Skaterbabe -congratulational for that job you got.:clap: :clap:
*Welcome Dr.Chloe and the rest just getting to large for me to keep track
seeyou

A gunner is typically a person who strives to get the highest grades NO MATTER WHAT. They may resort to unethical means to acheive their ends, such as Northwestern day students taking classes at the Continuing Education campus so that they can try to make sure they get the top marks in the class and get more teacher attention.

The worst gunners may try to sabotauge your labs, etc.

Hey all :)

Wash - for me I think it's a combo of a calling and wanting to help people. I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a little girl and watching tv shows like Emergency and Trapper John MD. The doctors were the ones that saved people from dying and were always looked up to. I also wanted to be a skater so when skating didn't work out I decided to make my other dream of being a doctor come true, and hopefully figure out a way to stay in touch with my athletic side by maybe going into sports med...that way I can help people be the best athletes they can be.

2badr - What are your sister's concerns about skating? I'm biased of course, but I think it's a great outlet and definitely teaches discipline. It can get expensive later on but the group classes all rinks hold aren't anymore expensive than any other sport and a great way to figure out if a youngster has talent and ability...

Welcome Dr Chloe!! It's never too late for newbies in the club lol! Where do u go to school? A gunner is a cut throat premed who will do anything to get an A including unethical and not nice stuff. They always keep to themselves and make sure they tell absolutely everyone what they got on the last test unless they didn't do well then they'll be all sullen and bi$%chy toward everyone, especially whomever beats them. They'll want to know what everyone else's scores were and usually have no friends. Trust me you'll know them when you see them lol.

Had a nice couple nites with my bf hanging out, but other than that and filling out some of the paperwork to make me official with workstudy I'm being pretty boring lol. Looks like I'll probably start sometime next week once Dr Schoffstall figures out what exactly he wants me to do. The kind of nice thing is that I've scheduled myself in for 19 hrs/week but I really only need to do 14/week to get my full award so I may not have to go in every afternoon for a couple hours which would be nice if I have a ton of tests some week or something lol. Right now I'll work Tues 8-12, Fri 8-1, and then M-W & F from 3-5:30 and be home by about 6:30 at the latest every night. M,W, and Th I have class starting at 9:25 so I'll have a very regular schedule which is important for me or I tend to stay up too late and not get up when I'm supposed to lol. I'll be able to study every evening and all weekend so I think (hope) it'll work out well, and who knows...maybe I'll have some down time waiting for things to boil or whatever to squeeze in some more study time while working.

I also found out that they are releasing our loan funds later than ever this year. We won't get paid out until the Thurs before classes start:( which sucks because I want to get my books before that. It's almost as if they are forcing us to buy our books at school vs amazon just so they can line their pockets even more! Not that I have a credit card to buy them on amazon anyway, but still I want to have more than 4 days to read my first chapters! (Most of our classes start lectures right away vs having a first class be strictly introductions and syllabi.) Maybe I'll take a book loan so I can get them when they go on sale on the 11th. (I won't get my first paycheck from my work study until the 29th.)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
--Jessica, UCCS

A gunner is a cut throat premed who will do anything to get an A including unethical and not nice stuff. They always keep to themselves and make sure they tell absolutely everyone what they got on the last test unless they didn't do well then they'll be all sullen and bi$%chy toward everyone, especially whomever beats them. They'll want to know what everyone else's scores were and usually have no friends. Trust me you'll know them when you see them lol.

This made me laugh.. hehe it describes me sometimes.

I can be nice and helpful too though ;)

Originally posted by agent
This made me laugh.. hehe it describes me sometimes.

I can be nice and helpful too though ;)

That's why you're not a true gunner Agent lol

I don't think anyone on this thread (excepting the single troll) could be classified as a "gunner", tho I think there's a little bit in all of us. As far as I go, yes, I want to get A's, but more important to me than my grade is for me to learn the material through and through. After all, people's lives are going to depend on how well we know this stuff, right? And I am certainly not going to do anything unethical or anything that would negatively impact anyone else...

Agent-you sound like you're having doubts...try not to let your family get to you. I know it's easier said than done but you sound pretty depressed...I hope things are OK with you...

Puppy dog is doing pretty well today.....he's got a lot of energy. We've been giving him his Torbutrol (pain meds) at night only to help him sleep, and that really seems to be helping him during the day. I'm thinking the vet may have underestimated his remaining life span but we'll see...we're taking it day by day.

minx-isn't working with kids that age great? They're starting to develop really distinct personalities yet have so much openness about them. I co-lead a Girl Scout troop with 13 10-year-olds and it's great. Tho I may not be able to continue this year, the school organizer decided to switch our meeting days on us and they now conflict with my Chem lab and all the other sections are full:( Will have to see what I can do about this...

Skaterbabe-you're lucky! I would love nothing more than to be able to get a hold of my books early but my school isn't even selling them until the 26th. Then again, most of the first day classes are more just handing out syllabi, going over stuff, etc.. than really getting into the material. So, looks like we'll have a fun Labor Day weekend getting ready, hey?

Nothing much else....signed my kids up for tae kwon do today. They completed their trial lessons this week and I've been learning some of the stuff too (I have to know what they're doing in order to help them practice!) Thank God for my dance experience-it makes everything so much easier....

I would go into why I want to be a doctor, but since this post is so long already....(I seem to have a habit of doing that:D ) I'll save it for another post. Besides, I need time to order these thoughts in my head...

Minx - congrats on an awesome summer!

Jenni - I'm glad your puppy is doing well :). I'll actually be thru my first week of classes already by Labor Day. Classes start on the 25th, funds are released on the 21st, and books go on sale on the 11th. I think I'm going to end up having to buy all my supplies at school too this year tho which sux...Walmart is so much cheaper lol. Depending on my work schedule that Thurs and Fri maybe I'll be able to fit in a trip to the walmart ;-)

hey everyone, i just came across this thread today. from the few posts that i've read it seems like you guys are well on your way to becoming doctors. agent--it sounds like you're really dedicated, and i hope things work out for you.

well, to get the basics out of the way. i'm going to be a soph at the u of minn-tc, and i'm majoring in chemistry. my classes for next year are analytical chem w/lab, o-chem, physics i w/lab, and a multicultural lit. class. (16 credits) classes don't start til the 2nd of sept, but i can't wait. i already bought all my science books. :p

i'm so glad that i found this thread, because like the first posters mentioned, the rest of the board is about apps, and interviews, which is still 2+ years ahead. :eek:

i'll definetly be back to post more and respond to all your posts. :)

Originally posted by midwest_turtle
hey everyone, i just came across this thread today. from the few posts that i've read it seems like you guys are well on your way to becoming doctors. agent--it sounds like you're really dedicated, and i hope things work out for you.

well, to get the basics out of the way. i'm going to be a soph at the u of minn-tc, and i'm majoring in chemistry. my classes for next year are analytical chem w/lab, o-chem, physics i w/lab, and a multicultural lit. class. (16 credits) classes don't start til the 2nd of sept, but i can't wait. i already bought all my science books. :p

i'm so glad that i found this thread, because like the first posters mentioned, the rest of the board is about apps, and interviews, which is still 2+ years ahead. :eek:

i'll definetly be back to post more and respond to all your posts. :)

Your schedule is just like mine...except I'm a year ahead of you. Eep!

Skaterbabe- I am also all about helping people. And katetlo- I definitely want to make a difference. "be the change you wish to see in the world"- ghandi I think that quote describes my ambitions. Of course, I want to be respected. I also want to challenge myself. I want a career where I won't get bored, and I always have the opportunity to improve.

agent - you can do it!

i waited on this table last night that was all excited for me. They didn't know me, but they were very supportive about me reaching my dream. It's people like them that make me want to be an amazing doctor.;)

Skaterbabe, I think it's more a mony issue right now. The lessons seem to be really expensive.

Jenni, glad the puupy's better.

minx, congrats on finishing summer school..:clap:

Welcome to all the new posters.:clap:

Welcome midwest_turtle! You and Cozmosis will have to let me know how anayltical is...I'm not taking that for another year lol. Sounds like a lot of us are taking organic and physics this year so we can keep each other from pulling our hair out lol.

Wash - I agree with you on all your reasons for wanting to be a doctor....the ones I mentioned are the main ones, but the others are there too :)

2badr - Have you sister check out some of the park districts around her. Often, especially if she lives in a cold weather area, they offer reasonable classes for beginners. Private lessons can be expensive, but group lessons at rinks usually aren't bad, especially if they are ISIA affiliated vs USFSA affiliated. (ISIA = Ice Skating Institute of America; USFSA = United States Figure Skating Association). If your niece ends up loving it and wanting to continue on to private lessons and competitions and stuff eventually she'll need to be in the USFSA stuff but there's no reason to start there....

But I also won't lie to ya...if she has the talent and devotion it can get very expensive. I wasn't anywhere near elite yet and wasn't training as hard as the elite skaters do and I was paying out $1000/mo (but I was also training at one of the top rinks in the country) between private lessons, ice time, off ice practice, weight training, dance class, a choreographer, skates, and costumes. I pretty much trained about 5 hours a day 6 days a week.....elite skaters probably train a good 8 hrs/day (which is why most are home-schooled).

--Jessica, UCCS

Just thought I'd bump up the thread...we never should be on the 4th page! lol...

I haven't heard from Dr Schoffstall yet about when I'm going to start my research work study, but now I almost hope it isn't until next week because my bf is taking another mini-vacation Wed-Sun this week, and I'd love to have the days to spend doing stuff with him.

Also found out that my books are going to be atrociously expensive this semester. The only one I haven't been able to find out yet is Physics cuz it hadn't been ordered yet as of the end of last week, but so far only one class has a used book option cuz everyone else is using brand new editions:( . Without physics I'm already up to $550. Once phyiscs gets added in I imagine I'll be around $700 and then still need supplies...blech:p . Our school only budgets in $575 for books per semester. At least spring will be cheaper since I'll already have physics, organic lecture, and organic lab.

Have a good week everyone!
--Jessica, UCCS

Thats insane!

I hope my books arent more than 200.

Anyone buy/rent a microscope?

Wow, there sure are a lot of posts here...

A belated welcome to the new members :D

As for my internet situation, my DSL line is finally up and running, but for some reason I can't access the server. Hmm...:mad:

So for now, I will not be able to come here on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays again until a cousin of mine (B.S., M.S. Computer Science major) comes over to have a look into the problem. I sure don't want to deal with SBC again +pissed+

washkeep - Hey dude, that's a question that all pre-meds ask ourselves, isn't it? I don't think that there would ever be a clear-cut answer. There is only one doctor in my family, and she's a really really distant cousin I have absolutely no contact with. I'm Asian, yes, but my relatives and my mom are trying to steer me from the path I have chosen.

You know, in all honesty, the reasons have changed...anywhere from money, to helping people, to fascination with sciences, to just helping people again :D

The term "gunner" seems to have many definitions depending on who you ask. If you ask me, I would say that a gunner is an arrogant, anti-social, competitive, rude, and cheating prick. I wouldn't consider someone a gunner if that person tries hard, but I would if that person tried to wreck the curve of grading through sabotage, not letting other people look at his/her study notes, etc. And then bragging like he/she is a genius among us all and considering everyone else to be inferior.

Darn, I don't have much time to reply to anything else...so I've leave an update to my situation:

This past weekend, I have gone through my second day of training at HOAG Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, and I have taken a tour of the hospital itself. Probably the most beautifully decorated hospital I've ever seen, that's for sure. Well, next time, which would be August 10th, I will complete my training in the basic skills and will begin training for my tasks and duties for my department (either Medical Pulmonary, Oncology, or Gynecology/Urology)

I also have two exams this week, one in Psych and one in History. Next week will be the last week of summer school. Which means that Fall semester is just around the corner. I'd say that this summer has gone by faster than any I've lived through so far, mainly because of the summer school courses that I'm taking.

Hopefully, I will have more stories to tell once I begin classes. Philosophy should be interesting, and none of my classes should last more than 3:45 p.m. this time around.

Biodude-HOAG sounds really exciting-I'm jealous:D Do you know yet what area you've been assigned to or will they tell you on the 10th?

Skaterbabe-I hear ya about the books! I think colleges are in on a conspiracy...I've been trying to find out what books I need so as to look them up on amazon but they are keeping that very hush-hush. The books for last year are posted but they don't tell you if they're changing editions or texts or what, so what I did just to get an idea was plug in all last year's ISBN's on amazon and to get decent used ones it will cost my husband and I $1100 for all our classes. Not to mention I need the sacred TI-83 at about $100 (I already have a TI-82 but according to the prof that's not good enough:mad: ) and a few other things like molecule-building models, maybe some software, etc..... That just really sucks though that almost all of your classes are using new editions-I hope ours aren't too or we're in trouble. Our school budgets $350 per semester for books-is that a joke or what? Have you at least been able to check out amazon?

2badr and everyone else-thanks for the good wishes for puppy-I think they're working! He's been steadily having more energy each day-those antihistamines must be really working to slow down the mast cell activity...

OK, this post hasn't gotten to my normal length yet so I guess I can go ahead and answer washkeep....

I was one of those little kids that always wanted to be a doctor. My mom still has the set of encyclopedias with the plastic overlays showing the systems of the human body, and they're all tattered up with little fingerprints still on them.:laugh: I used to look at them all the time. And I would chase my little friends around with the Fisher-Price stethoscope and thermometer and fake syringe...acting like a REAL doctor (there weren't any boys in my neighborhood to "play doctor" with...heehee)

Anyway, fast forward....life got in the way and I never really thought about it for real until recently. The thing is, I keep coming up with a new reason every day. I agree totally with everything everyone's said regarding this, all of these are reasons that have gone through my head. But the biggest thing is that sometimes I lay back and daydream about what it will be like, picturing it, and I just smile and get a fresh conviction that I'm doing the right thing. I don't know-it's just ME somehow. And it has nothing to do with a "calling"-I'm not religious and can't claim such exalted motives...

Also, it doesn't hurt that medicine is pretty much the antithesis to accounting too.......(darn cold-hearted bottom line fanatics-who needs them anyways :p no offense but it's just not for me-you can keep the cubicle)

Hey all, it's another tiring day for Biodude :D

Let's see here, I have my history exam tomorrow, and my Psych exam the day after...then it's off to the hard quiz for HOAG's CCE (Clinical Care Extender) Program on Sunday. I am not going to have a fun rest of the week, that's for certain.

jenni4476 - Thanks. Anyways, for the 10th, I still have not received word from the program coordinator yet on which department I have been placed in. I will not receive word until Sunday, but I hope that I will NOT get GYNECOLOGY/UROLOGY. I'm definitely gonna complain and complain some more 'til that one gets resolved :p

Nothing else to update, I suppose...

agent - What classes are you taking this fall again? If it's organic your lecture text very well may be $150 itself. We're using a separate textbook for lab that's another $100, and then there's model sets, lab notebooks, and a solution manual lol. As far as a microscope, my schools always provided us with use of one during labs so I haven't had to look into getting one yet.

Biodude - Sounds like you're enjoying HOAG so far:) . Good luck on your last couple tests for psych and history!

jenni - Our books aren't up on the website either yet, but I was able to call the bookstore and find out which ones we were using for most of my classes. I looked at Amazon, but unfortunately I don't get my financial aid until the 21st and classes start on the 25th. Even if I did have a charge card or debit card I'd never get them in time, and I don't save all that much going thru them. Actually my organic lab textbook is even more expensive on Amazon then at school (only a dollar but still! lol) cuz it's published by profs at our school. As far as your TI-83 vs the TI-82 I hate when they do that, but for those particular models I don't disagree. The 83 is easier to find stuff on. However I had to get a TI-86 vs the TI-85 and that was a complete waste lol. Check out ebay for the TI-83 tho....I was able to get my 86 for like $80 so you could probably find a great deal on the 83 there. And of course, uccs doesn't allow graphing calculators at all so I used the 86 for all of one summer semester for trig! And then promptly lost the darn thing anyway lol. A budget of $350/semester for books is completely unrealistic though! The $575 we have is at least realistic if you're not a science major lol. And at the end of the year it probably does work out to about that if you have full year classes, but still....

Haven't heard about my start date for work study yet. If I don't hear from him tomorrow I'll email him and ask when he'd like me to start...

My bf was able to purchase half of a season of Bronco's tix this year so he's thrilled. He's a huge Bronco's fan, and he's managing to get to see both of our huge rivalry games - the Raiders and the Chiefs. He's always wanted to see a Raiders game but those tix are normally just too expensive so he'll get his wish this year. Looks like he'll take me to the Bears game over Thanksgiving weekend which will be great...I grew up in IL and da Bears will always hold a special place in my heart despite being a Bronco's fan now :) . He'll take his dad to the Raiders game cuz that's a nice early season game so the weather will be nice, and then he'll sell off the second ticket to whomever wants it for the other games. I'd love to see more than one game, but somehow I don't think I'll be able to afford any tix this year lol.

I've hit the extremely bored point of my summer lol. I have some cleaning to do, but other than that absolutely nothing is going on. I want to start getting supplies (books don't go on sale til next week) but this year I can't do anything until aid comes thru which totally sux. I just hope the money is my acct first thing on the 21st or I'll be screwed trying to get all my stuff by the start of classes on the 25th cuz the busses don't run on Sundays here lol.

Later all :)
--Jessica, UCCS

Sorry to hear about the expensive prices for books that most of you have to deal with. I might be in the same boat. My school posts the books that we need for school a little more than a month in advance, so I was able to snag most of the used books that they have for my courses, with a few exceptions. My o-chem book came in a packet with the solutions and model box for $130. (The prof set it up b/c the textbook is supposed to be $135 by itself.)

Jenni, that's too bad about the calculator, but you should follow Skaterbabe's advice and check amazon. But remember, those calculators have their own legs, and will leave you if you don't treat them just right. I also lost my TI-86 and had to buy another one. :mad:

Cozmosis, looks like you got a great deal on the orgo book. Since our schedules are so similar, we'll have to be study buddies. :clap:

Skaterbabe, if your financial aid doesn't go through on the 21st :( , you could try contacting your prof's, and letting them know of your situation. You might even be able to charge it to your student account, especially if they know you have financial aid coming. My school implemented the charge to student account option last semester in part because of situations like yours.

CO

No fair Cozmosis! You must have lucked out with a year where they weren't using brand new editions...

We're using Carey's Organic Chem that comes bundled with chemoffice 5.0 (a puter lab notebook type thing) so that's one reason it's soo expensive...

midwest_turtle - That's a good idea I'll have to check into that because I really want to get my books before the Thurs before classes start. They offer a $500 book loan but that won't cover all of it. So far I've never had problems with the financial aid being deposited later than the specified date but we'll see...If they just let us charge things to our financial aid that would be ideal...

Nite all!
--Jessica, UCCS

Actually I was accepted to Northwestern but im not going to go.

It would force me to put my two little babies second and right now I'm not willing to do that even for that prestigious degree.

I know its sacraligious, but I've decided to try to get into the local nursing program and then transfer to NIU (Northern IL U)

I'll probably take A&P this fall and then micro in the spring. Clinicals would start after that.

Sorry to disappoint anyone. I wish you all the best.

Originally posted by agent
I'll probably take A&P this fall and then micro in the spring. Clinicals would start after that.

Sorry to disappoint anyone. I wish you all the best.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with you, Agent - only you know what's best for you and your family. Your reasons for choosing that path are very similar to mine.. I just got through with both A&P and Micro, so good luck with those. Hope you'll end up hanging around SDN anyway! :)

Thanks Manna.

I really appreciate your support.

Biodude-Good luck on your exams:D

Agent-What, do you think we're all snobs?:laugh: Of course we're not disappointed. Personally, I congratulate you for finding a course that you and your family will be happy with. It shows a whole lot more integrity than most people have (not on this thread, of course...):clap: If I didn't have such a supportive husband, mother, mother-in-law, and several good friends that's what I'd be doing too. Not to mention my kids are older and are doing a whole lot more on their own now.... BTW, how's the wife/Wal-Mart situation going?

Speaking of integrity, (going off subject here) there was a feature on the news last night about how most of the telemarketing company executives in the state have their home phone #'s on our state's do not call list b/c they're just as fed up as the rest of the public. How's that for hypocrisy?

Skaterbabe-I tried calling the bookstore but they're not open until the 26th-did leave a message tho so maybe they'll call me back. I'm really going to make an effort on this b/c the one class I was able to find out what I needed, the bookstore charges $62 for everything (this class is only offered every so often so the books are all new), but I found a used set on Amazon, reportedly in very good condition, for $31. I emailed the seller, tho, asking for more details about the condition...gotta wait for a reply. I'm thinking, if this is typical, we could save a lot of money. But it's so much work :rolleyes: Why do they do this to us? OK, back to you-maybe you could take out the $500 loan and get the really important books ahead of time so you can look them over, then get the other ones on the 21st when you get your financial aid?

midwest-turtle-my TI-82 must really like me b/c I've treated it VERY badly and it's still with me (you know how you get frustrated b/c you type in a really long function but mess up one little thing and it's all wrong so you retype it by punching the numbers hard?)

Book recommendation: The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. It's from a friend's Medical Anthropology class; she loaned it to me and I just finished it yesterday. Basically, it's about the differences between the Hmong and American cultures and how all of that came into play when treating a little girl with severe epilepsy. Really good if you're into that sort of stuff...

Hey all,

agent - Hey dude, you gotta do what you gotta do. All of us definitely wish you the best in your newly chosen path, and hopefully you will be able to take care of your family now. See, with this thread, you've already weeded out most of the snobbish pre-med people from pre-allo, I would think. What I would like, though is to hear updates on ya :)

jenni4476 - thanks for the good luck wishes. By the way, I have read that book before. It was recommended to me before sometime on SDN and an ANTHROPOLOGY MAJOR (pre-med of course) recommended it to me. I second the recommendation for those who haven't read it yet, because that will be important for future docs to know about practicing medicine across different cultures. After all, what Americans see as black and white isn't neccessarily what people from other countries see...

Skaterbabe74 - Well, if you're bored, at least you don't have to worry about taking three big tests in a week :p Oh yeah, and the textbook pricing sucks big time. I'm hoping that my textbooks don't total over 200 bucks for the upcoming semester because my financial aid money (grants not including work-study or loans) would leave me with a little over that much to spend. Tuition has increased at my school to meet the budget deficit that California is goin' through :mad:

Okay, so my situation thus far: I have my history exam today, my psych exam tomorrow, and my psych professor sure is a real ***, if you all know what I mean? :D

Also, in California, since the state is in a budget deficit, my tuition for school has increased, but financial aid has not, so now I'll have to ration my money out more carefully. Thanks a bunch, state senate :rolleyes: I feel like going around and knocking some sense into the majority of voters in my state for having re-elected the very officials who brought us into this mess in the first place. I sure didn't vote for 'em :oops:

HOAG seems to be ideal for people who want to see if they actually do want to be doctors. It's solidified the plans of many of the volunteers I talked to...one said that she doesn't plan on being a doctor anymore because of the time that has to be sacrificed for the job. It just sucks that I have to pass an exam for the CCE program there before I can start volunteering. What's worse is the exam will come soon after my psych exam, and it's all fill-in-the-blank and short answer essay! No rest for the weary, I guess.

I can't think of anything else to write at the moment, so I will be back tomorrow!

Agent - We're not disappointed in the least! You're doing what's best for you and that's what is important. So good luck with A&P this fall, and you'll make a great nurse :). Please check in every once in awhile and let us know how things are going for you :).

jenni - Not open til the 26th? That sux....our bookstore is open full time regardless of whether class is in session or not. They just reduce hours when no classes are going. As far as my taking out the book loan and just getting the important books, unfortunately they are all really important lol. I mean I could wait on solution manuals and my physics lab book but neither of those are all that expensive so I'd still be going over the $500 lol. I'm kind of playing the wait and see game at the moment. If I get my temporary extended unemployment check early next week then I can take out the book loan, if I don't I'll have to take out the $500 emergency loan to cover some bills before financial aid comes out. We can't take out both unfortunately...

Biodude - You'll do fine on your tests :) Good luck! As far as finances, they raised our tuition too so I'm feeling the pain as well lol. If I didn't have loans and work study I'd be majorly screwed right now. I'm sure you don't want to add debt if you can help it, but maybe it's time to start looking at PLUS and stafford loans, especially if books end up being more than $200....I hope it all works out for ya :)

Still haven't heard from Dr Schoffstall about my work study so I'll email him later today and see when he wants me to start....his office is a mess so he probably set my schedule down and promptly forgot about it lol.

have a good one all!
--Jessica, UCCS

I really appreciate your guys' support!

I'll be checking up on all of you to make sure you guys follow through..

My wife starting wal-mart at night has been kind of hard cause now I have to watch the kids by myself. It's only 3 nights a week but its definitely an adjustment.

On tuesday I took the kids to the park, then we went to wal-mart and got a big Icee. My sons both love me so its easy to take care of them.

As far as the fall, I need to either take Micro or A&P to get ready for clinicals, luckily ive taken everything else. I think I will make a good nurse as well and its definitely a COMPROMISE but I think I will be a better father for this. And in the end family (the ones you love and love you back) is what is most important.

edit>> BTW I just wanted to say that I think you guys have a GREAT support team here and I'm already proud of all of you.

Stick together to the end :) I noticed you guys are on page 60 here.. you may want to make a new UNder M1 Club someday

AGENT IS RIGHT! Let's start a new post... this one is dragging. I'm getting bored myself. But it looks like everyone's summer is slowly coming to an end. Ready for schooL??? I'm actually kinda ready to kick-ass this year.

Yeah I think it's about time we started a new "Under M1 club" thread. How about whomever starts fall classes first starts the new thread letting us know how their classes are....Call it "Under M1 club part 2" or something...

I agree with you Wash...I'm sooo ready to get the fall going and kick some booty lol. Looks like I get to start working on Monday although Monday will just be like a half hour or so showing me what I need to do, where to work, etc...

Saw American Wedding last nite....it was funny :). Not as good as the first 2, but still hilarious at times!

Have a good weekend!
--Jessica, UCCS

Originally posted by Skaterbabe74
Yeah I think it's about time we started a new "Under M1 club" thread. How about whomever starts fall classes first starts the new thread letting us know how their classes are....Call it "Under M1 club part 2" or something...

I agree with you Wash...I'm sooo ready to get the fall going and kick some booty lol. Looks like I get to start working on Monday although Monday will just be like a half hour or so showing me what I need to do, where to work, etc...

Saw American Wedding last nite....it was funny :). Not as good as the first 2, but still hilarious at times!

Have a good weekend!
--Jessica, UCCS

Who starts first? I start the 27th. I'm kind of excited to start, just to finally get into some more advanced sciences(orgo, analytical, A&P).

I start on the 25th. I'm looking forward to the advanced sciences too...orgo and cell bio for me (+ physics and bio stats).

--Jessica, UCCS

I start the 29th. The only crap thing is buying book$. My school is always converting to the newest, most expensive editions of books. I got pissed and decided not to buy all the books for this one anthro class. I still got a B+. ha! to you wash u!!

Originally posted by washkeep
I start the 29th. The only crap thing is buying book$. My school is always converting to the newest, most expensive editions of books. I got pissed and decided not to buy all the books for this one anthro class. I still got a B+. ha! to you wash u!!

LOL...you know I can relate Wash. We seem to do the same thing. The only saving grace for me this year is that orgo, orgo lab, and physic will be used the entire year. One of my friends, who also has a photographic memory and incredible retention besides that, would look thru the chapters a test was over in the bookstore for some of his comm classes a couple hours before the test and then ace the dang things. I wish I had 50% of his abilities! lol...

--Jessica

I start the 2nd-sometimes I wish it was earlier like you guys but then I look at the list of stuff I've got to get done and wish I didn't start until spring! (Just kidding-I can't wait to get going on this...)

agent-Best wishes to you-at least now you get to have some dedicated daddy time with your sons-they'll grow up a whole lot better for it! How does your wife like wal-mart?

washkeep-see, your experience just proves that it's a conspiracy to squeeze more $ out of us poor students ;)

Biodude-WI is going through a budget crunch too and we were notified two weeks ago that our tuition is going up by almost $400 a semester. Times two for DH and I......there goes any chance of a spring break trip for us:( But we are getting a new computer and signing up for cable internet access:clap:...since I found out we have to do a lot of downloading homework assignments and stuff for school I said to he** with dial-up and this crappy first-generation Pentium with a 1-gig hard drive. I'll eat ramen and mac-n-cheese if I have to!

Skaterbabe-Unfortunately, the only class I have all year is Chem. But second sem I'm going to fill up with Speech, Architecture (3 cr fine art requirement), and Calc I which hopefully should be cheaper books! And I'll already have my precious TI-83 so...

So who's going to take the plunge and start Part II of this thread?

Cozmosis-I hope I can get an orgo book that cheap! I was thinking of looking around at the half-price book store. (Of course I would be buying one 1 year too soon...)

Skaterbabe- You seem soooo ready to start classes! I think that it is great, The motivation alone will keep you going. I expect to have a lot of tutors when I need them for Orgo! Maybe I will start an Orgo tutor thread. Hmmmmm.

Manna-I am glad to see you are are doing better(?). I hope everything works out. Don't forget you can pm me if you need to!

Jenni-I am so not the puppy person, but a sick puppy is sad to me. Glad to hear he's feeling better. And yes, that's definitely hypocrisy. They know they are annoying people by calling. Maybe they should not even have had the option of signing the "Do not call list".

Biodude-Good luck with the test. I see you have a lot of tests coming up. It seems your summer was full. How long of a break will you have before the fall semster starts??

Midwest-I think I will prolly have to pay a lot for my books too. And they didn't post the list earlier than a month either. What a joy...130 bucks for one book. Can you imagine what the medschool books will cost!!

washkeep-I don't start until the 25th. I just hope I can get the classes I want-which I doubt since circumstances prevented me from registering early.

agent- I admire anyone who can put a dream aside for the sake of their family. I think you have done truly selfless act. If we were to be disappointed or "look down" on you, I guess we may not be cut out to be doctors after all, huh?

I am reconsidering my path as well. I don't know if I can actually afford this process. For me, that seems to be the big thing. I have enough money to take care of myself. It's just a challenge coming up with other expenses. To top it off I may not have filled off that FA form correctly. I think that's how stuff got so messed up. But for this semester, I'm just licking my wounds and taking my lumps...

Coz, skaterbabe, manna, jenni, biodude, midwest, washkeep....phew!! If I missed anyone, forgive and chalk it up to the heat!! (It will hit 100+ again today.:rolleyes: )

I see that everyone is starting their classes soon. I haven't even registered yet. :oops: I have until the 15th to get myself in gear and register! It has been a true pain to depend on FA because I wasted so much time waiting on them and now it seems that it hasn't come thru.

Anyway, I will know what to avoid next semester. I don't think, however, I can avoid having three labs in one semester. (Next summer I already have plans to shadow. I guess I will also have to go to summer as well.:rolleyes: ) So at this point I am up to plan what is it now "E"? :laugh: I have all my classes written down and I will be trying to knock those classes out in the manner that works best for me.

I also have about 12 hours of humanities left, which is a good thing, because those classes are filling up slowly. I just wanted to squeeze a science or English class in there (two of my favorite subjects:) ).

Well, that's it for now. My phone has been ringing off the hook. I am talking on the phone and posting:D . Bye for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.