The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pre-dentalguy said:
That's a great site! Thanks for the info!! Although I, personally, am stuck on enrolling at Mid Western University, if anyone has any schools that have post-bacc enhancement programs for increasing chances to dental school, pls send them out.

- Thx AUG2UAG
you're welcome brother

anytime & a pleasure to help

iriskw1 said:
Hello Guys!

I'm glad that this Club was created. I think I'm a good candidate. Below is my proof:

AADSAS (based upon my calculations)

Undergraduate/Overall GPA: 2.85
Science GPA: 3.10
BCP: 2.50

I’m 28 years old. Currently, I'm 3 classes away from finishing my degree in Business Management. It has taken me 8 years since I have to work full-time in order to pay rent and bills. I’ve always had interest in dentistry and I’ve decided to pursue this dream.

Previously, I was enlisted in the Navy for 5 years as a medical corpsman. I worked regularly with doctors as their assistant in providing quality care to various patients. I was also an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). I thought I wanted to be in the medical field and so therefore, I took biology, chemistry 1 and 2, microbiology, and physical science. After my enlistment with the Navy, I enrolled in a state university full-time for a semester and horribly failed 3 courses (including biology) partly because I still had to work full-time as well and I was not used to attending courses with 300 students. My previous classes had a maximum of 25 students and I was able to ask professors for help when needed. Also, my previous school was a community college and was not as rigorous. Anyway, to make the long story short, I quit my state school and applied to a private institution and change my major to business management. I’m doing well in my major; actually, I’m getting mostly As in my business courses. Currently, my employer (the federal government) pays for my tuition since it relates to my line of work (as a management analyst). I even planned on pursuing an MBA thereafter. However, I’ve just recently visited my dentist and suddenly, realized that I should go ahead and pursue a career change in becoming a dentist.

I’m in a dilemma because I have to quit my job with the federal government. This means I would have to give up everything. A career change is scary, but I’m willing to make the sacrifice. From here on, I better make sure I don’t fail in anyway. In order to finish the dental prerequisites and up my GPA, I plan on enrolling into a post-baccalaureate premed program. I would also have to accumulate student loans. I must also ensure I do well in the DAT. I guess I don’t have a lot of room for error.

Any comment/advice is appreciated. Thank you for letting me share my story. I know it’s long, so I’ll stop here.
welcome!

i'm sure you'll find tons of info in the many pages of this thread

good luck and bon chance!

I have a GPA of about 2.65, with BCP and Science 2.5. I did my undergrad in biology. I have always been interested in dentistry, but got side-tracked in undergrad and "enjoyed" it alittle too much. Now I am ready to get back on that track to dental school. I am wondering what should I do? I know I need a do great on the DATS and I know I need to raise my GPA, so I am most likely going back to school. I am looking to pursue another degree, possibly in Kinesiology. Will Kinesiology classes count towards my BCP and Science? What other degrees should I look at pursuing? Or should I look into gettting a masters, even though I really not interested in getting a masters in Biology. What other masters programs should I look into if that is the best path or is majoring in kinesiology good enough? Or should I just take a bunch of post-bac bio, chem, biochem classes? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a low undergraduate g.p.a also.I'm in my five year senior (hopefully the last) my g.p.a is 2.81 , i think my science is about 2.6. I got most C's in my science classes , I got B'S in phsics , A's in OChem, C-in general chemistry 1, B-in chem2. C-Bio1. Puls I took 2 anotomy couses and again I got C'S in them. For some reason biology is not my favourite thing in terms of grades. I got my first F last semester in Bio2 and I'm retake it (aiming for A) so the average would be a C (i guess -). I took mico I go B in it. I'm realy wired about my science g.p.a . I feel that I can boost my overall this fall and especially if I retake my F in biology. But I know it won't be high enough for dental school. I got couple of withdrawls last semester ( for personal resons) . There have been an upward trend for me from 2.2 freshman to till now except last semester I got an F for the first time.
I am not sure if I should take my Dat (need to do well) in decemeber or should I wait untill I graduate and Have more time? I am also taking a full load in the fall!
If I do post-gradu upper division scicence courses would that be calculated in my science overall g.pa.
My real question here: SHould I take dat this year or wait. I know I have to apply a year before my entrance. I don't know If I should wait! :confused:

Hello,

I too a non-traditional student with a GPA under 3.0. My college GPA is 2.79 and my AADSAS is 2.5. My graduate GPA is 3.7. I have applied to all three Texas schools. I am studying to take the DAT right now. What do you all think my chances of getting into a Texas School is right now? I plan to take the DAT in September. Is this too late.I know I need to get in the 20's. How can I reach this goal? Any advice?

Yah-E said:
There are two main types Post-Bac:

1) For non-Science majors who had never taken predental prereqs (no science background)
2) For science majors in college who did horrible (remedial route)

You kept on mentioning prereqs, to me prereqs are:

Biology
Chemistry
Organic
Blah, blah, blah

No MBS post-bac curriculum has these prereqs. A formal "post-bac" program may have a curriculum with these prereq courses, but it will not be a MBS program.

MBS programs will reflect new graduate GPA on AADSAS which will standout to the admissions. Your goal is to do well in post-bac and not have these As be barried in all those crappy undergraduate GPAs.

Also, dental school report GPAs at their own discretion. For example, I believe NSU reported my MBS's GPA on AADSAS instead of my undergraduate GPA into the incoming class average stats. I wouldn't even worry about what GPA will dental schools use to calculate for publishing. Lets worry about getting into a dental school which is our main focus.

Monalisa Smile said:
I have a low undergraduate g.p.a also.I'm in my five year senior (hopefully the last) my g.p.a is 2.81 , i think my science is about 2.6. I got most C's in my science classes , I got B'S in phsics , A's in OChem, C-in general chemistry 1, B-in chem2. C-Bio1. Puls I took 2 anotomy couses and again I got C'S in them. For some reason biology is not my favourite thing in terms of grades. I got my first F last semester in Bio2 and I'm retake it (aiming for A) so the average would be a C (i guess -). I took mico I go B in it. I'm realy wired about my science g.p.a . I feel that I can boost my overall this fall and especially if I retake my F in biology. But I know it won't be high enough for dental school. I got couple of withdrawls last semester ( for personal resons) . There have been an upward trend for me from 2.2 freshman to till now except last semester I got an F for the first time.
I am not sure if I should take my Dat (need to do well) in decemeber or should I wait untill I graduate and Have more time? I am also taking a full load in the fall!
If I do post-gradu upper division scicence courses would that be calculated in my science overall g.pa.
My real question here: SHould I take dat this year or wait. I know I have to apply a year before my entrance. I don't know If I should wait! :confused:

Hello,

I think that you should do a masters and boost your GPA majorly. Yes your graduate GPA will be calculated in to your overall GPA, all of your undergrad and grad classes will be calculated. The F that you have received will be calculated in your science(if a science course) and overall GPA when you apply to D-school even if you retake the classes and get an A. The problem here will be your GPA when it's calculated by AADSAS. Most schools have a cut off on GPA'S most want a 3.0 or higher for overall GPA and especially in science GPA. I am not saying it will be impossible for you to get in with your stats now, but you would have to have an outstanding DAT score and alot of volunteering hours, I mean ALOT.

I think that if you get awesome scores on your DAT and not boost your GPA, the adcoms will think that eventhough you have it in you to get good grades you just don't have dedication. And dedication will be needed in d-school. Just do a masters and kick butt on all your classes. My 2 cents :idea:

Mel :D

Monalisa Smile said:

Hey there,
I disagree with the above poster who recommends that you take grad-level courses. Grad courses are NOT calculated with your undergrad gpa and will appear separately on your AADSAS app. Granted, a grad gpa of 4.0 balances out a low undergrad, but there are minimum cut-offs to worry about. I would recommend taking post-bacc UNDERGRAD level coursework like a second bachelor's or something. Also, keep in mind that AADSAS will count both your F and the grade you get when you retake a course... they don't replace grades on retakes but count everything.

As far as the DAT goes, there are two types of "poor" students in my opinion -- those who don't get the material and those who don't bother to try. I was the latter and actually had a very strong grasp on everything -- I got poor grades because I was too lazy to turn stuff in or study properly for the tests. If you are also the lazy type and don't really have any comprehensive problems with the pre-req sciences then go ahead and take the DAT now while the stuff is still fresh. Otherwise, take some more classes the might be relevent -- upper level chem and bio classes, maybe a physiology. Work your butt off in those classes, remembering that you're studying for the DAT at the same time, and you'll rock the test. It's all about your comfort level though...

Hope this advice helps somewhat. A lot of us have been there so keep asking questions.

Mack

pbmason said:
I have a GPA of about 2.65, with BCP and Science 2.5. I did my undergrad in biology. I have always been interested in dentistry, but got side-tracked in undergrad and "enjoyed" it alittle too much. Now I am ready to get back on that track to dental school. I am wondering what should I do? I know I need a do great on the DATS and I know I need to raise my GPA, so I am most likely going back to school. I am looking to pursue another degree, possibly in Kinesiology. Will Kinesiology classes count towards my BCP and Science? What other degrees should I look at pursuing? Or should I look into gettting a masters, even though I really not interested in getting a masters in Biology. What other masters programs should I look into if that is the best path or is majoring in kinesiology good enough? Or should I just take a bunch of post-bac bio, chem, biochem classes? Thanks for any info.

Hey there,
I would recommend taking undergrad-level courses for now. Kinesiology should help -- particularly the physiology and anatomy stuff. Also consider taking taking the post-bac bios, chems, biochems. Not only will they bump your gpa but they'll also help you prep for the DAT.

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.
Peace,
Mack

RHONDAROBINSON said:
Hello,

I too a non-traditional student with a GPA under 3.0. My college GPA is 2.79 and my AADSAS is 2.5. My graduate GPA is 3.7. I have applied to all three Texas schools. I am studying to take the DAT right now. What do you all think my chances of getting into a Texas School is right now? I plan to take the DAT in September. Is this too late.I know I need to get in the 20's. How can I reach this goal? Any advice?

Hey Rhonda,
Your grad gpa is stellar but your undergrad GPA will be limiting when schools look at your apps -- particularly in texas. Remember that your college gpa doesn't matter because schools will only really care about your AADSAS average. That being said, you always have a chance, especially if you rock the DATs. If you don't get in, I would focus on raising the undergrad gpa with more undergrad sciences.

The best thing you can do to prep for the DAT is to learn strategy. Everyone will study the facts and will be able to tell you blah blah blah science fact but the applicants with the highest scores have taken practice tests and have worked tons of problems in a DAT atmosphere. This is especially important in the PAT. Check out topscore pro, dat acheiver, and even the kaplan class if you can afford it. A lot of people discount the class as unnecessary but I have found it helpful, at least in focusing my preparation. Also, check out the DAT thread on this board for tons more advice.

Best of luck,
Mack

Mackchops said:
Hey Rhonda,
Your grad gpa is stellar but your undergrad GPA will be limiting when schools look at your apps -- particularly in texas. Remember that your college gpa doesn't matter because schools will only really care about your AADSAS average. That being said, you always have a chance, especially if you rock the DATs. If you don't get in, I would focus on raising the undergrad gpa with more undergrad sciences.

The best thing you can do to prep for the DAT is to learn strategy. Everyone will study the facts and will be able to tell you blah blah blah science fact but the applicants with the highest scores have taken practice tests and have worked tons of problems in a DAT atmosphere. This is especially important in the PAT. Check out topscore pro, dat acheiver, and even the kaplan class if you can afford it. A lot of people discount the class as unnecessary but I have found it helpful, at least in focusing my preparation. Also, check out the DAT thread on this board for tons more advice.

Best of luck,
Mack

hi, guys, i am in the same situation as most of you. My Gpa overall is 2.89, and science is 2.56, i had taken Orgo 1 but dropped it with W. I will be taking orgo 1 in fall of 2006 and than orgo 2 in spring of 2006. I took physics 1 and got B+, in fall i willl be taking Physics 2. I am just taking elective classes. Finished with all bio and prereqs. I have already completed my application for AADSAS, and will be submitting it in next 2 days in JULY(early) I have been studying for DATS and will be taking on August 15... And have to do better. I live in NY and can't apply to more than 3 schools. NYU is my choice please let me know of other schools that if i do really good on DATs will be considering my application. Please need help let me know. of two other schools. with some advice on DATs score needed to be accepted at NYU,
thanks and best of luck to all for 2007 applying now.

anne111 said:
hi, guys, i am in the same situation as most of you. My Gpa overall is 2.89, and science is 2.56, i had taken Orgo 1 but dropped it with W. I will be taking orgo 1 in fall of 2006 and than orgo 2 in spring of 2006. I took physics 1 and got B+, in fall i willl be taking Physics 2. I am just taking elective classes. Finished with all bio and prereqs. I have already completed my application for AADSAS, and will be submitting it in next 2 days in JULY(early) I have been studying for DATS and will be taking on August 15... And have to do better. I live in NY and can't apply to more than 3 schools. NYU is my choice please let me know of other schools that if i do really good on DATs will be considering my application. Please need help let me know. of two other schools. with some advice on DATs score needed to be accepted at NYU,

why can you only apply to 3 schools?

anne111 said:

I Might Be Wrong, but i dont think any school will consider your application without Orgo1 & orgo 2 Grades.. either way.. no way you could do well on the DAT without them.... I think you should ace these two classes and apply next year.. Guys, correct me if im wrong..

on the other hand, NYU does accept a lot of students..

Members don't see this ad :)
You may notice I'm reapplying. I applied last year without taking Orgo I or Orgo II prior to DAT. I recommend taking the classes first and strengthening the application overall to give yourself a better push when it comes to dropping big coin into the application process.

reapply2007 said:
You may notice I'm reapplying. I applied last year without taking Orgo I or Orgo II prior to DAT. I recommend taking the classes first and strengthening the application overall to give yourself a better push when it comes to dropping big coin into the application process.

Not to mention it will help you boost that ol' gpa you're sporting there. No offense, but the science one is kinda low and could use some extra work. On the plus side, acing the SNS on the DAT should prove that you know your stuff regardless.

If you're still determined to throw your hat in the ring this year I would consider temple? BU? Even UoP because of how highly they value the DAT. Howard and Meharry if you're an URM. Check out predent.com for stat stuff and in the meantime get 22+ across the board.

Mack

With a Undergrad GPA of about 2.63-2.68(depending on how i calculate it), I was really worried about going back to school and attempting this dental thing..

2 Years ago i found this thread in a Google search(and because of it SDN) and after a long night of thinking i quit my job and enrolled in a postbac.

I knew it would be tough.. But i knew i wasn't as big of a slacker as my undergrad GPA would suggest..

i earned a 3.94 in my Postbac all A's , couple A+'s, a couple A-'s
and now im confident i am a good enough student to be in dental school..
im am applying this cycle (2007) and am about to take the DAT (Hoping for at least 22's)

I will definitely post here as to my status and what school accept/reject/ interview/wait-list me... I know that knowing you guys were here was what encouraged me and was the final push back in to school.. I would have otherwise thought it was impossible..

Its approaching 2 years from the day that i first read this thread, and hopefully i will be getting in by the end of this year...
I just want anyone who is in the position i was a couple years ago to know that it is possible.. and in a couple months i will confirm for myself that this is true.

Yah-E said:
Biochemistry
Histology
Gross Anatomy
Physiology
Immunology
Microbiology
Bacteriology
Virology
Genetics
Quantitive Chemistry
Pathology
Pharmacology
Embriology
Cell Biology
Molecular Biology

The Under 3.0 Club member

So, I have some questions for you (and anyone else with expertise on this matter) since you seem to know so much from experience. I was known as the party queen my first two years and of course it got me to where I am now. I have a sucky GPA (which definitely qualifies me for this great collective know as the under 3.0 club) and I have three more claases to take until I graduate and have decided to go the post bacc route. My first question is, should I use it as an opportunity to retake the pre req classes that I didn't do so well in (I'm a science major) or should I just take more of the classes you mentoned above? Secondly, How many units do you think is a good amount to have completed before I apply? I am having difficulty creating a timeline for myself and need any advice that anyone has to offer me. I don't want my process to move too fast or too slow and it would be helpful if I had a path laid out. Thanks in advance!

4thQtrDreams said:
With a Undergrad GPA of about 2.63-2.68(depending on how i calculate it), I was really worried about going back to school and attempting this dental thing..

2 Years ago i found this thread in a Google search(and because of it SDN) and after a long night of thinking i quit my job and enrolled in a postbac.

I knew it would be tough.. But i knew i wasn't as big of a slacker as my undergrad GPA would suggest..

i earned a 3.94 in my Postbac all A's , couple A+'s, a couple A-'s
and now im confident i am a good enough student to be in dental school..
im am applying this cycle (2007) and am about to take the DAT (Hoping for at least 22's)

I will definitely post here as to my status and what school accept/reject/ interview/wait-list me... I know that knowing you guys were here was what encouraged me and was the final push back in to school.. I would have otherwise thought it was impossible..

Its approaching 2 years from the day that i first read this thread, and hopefully i will be getting in by the end of this year...
I just want anyone who is in the position i was a couple years ago to know that it is possible.. and in a couple months i will confirm for myself that this is true.

Well, if this dental thing doesn't work out for you, you can always find something in motivational speaking! Good luck!

I-Baby said:
So, I have some questions for you (and anyone else with expertise on this matter) since you seem to know so much from experience. I was known as the party queen my first two years and of course it got me to where I am now. I have a sucky GPA (which definitely qualifies me for this great collective know as the under 3.0 club) and I have three more claases to take until I graduate and have decided to go the post bacc route. My first question is, should I use it as an opportunity to retake the pre req classes that I didn't do so well in (I'm a science major) or should I just take more of the classes you mentoned above? Secondly, How many units do you think is a good amount to have completed before I apply? I am having difficulty creating a timeline for myself and need any advice that anyone has to offer me. I don't want my process to move too fast or too slow and it would be helpful if I had a path laid out. Thanks in advance!

Read around these posts. There's tons of info on here. Do what you think will be best for you keeping in mind that retaking classes you did poorly in may or may not be the best idea. If you're looking to replace poor grades forget about it -- both old and new will show up on your AADSAS app and be figured into your gpa. However, if you want to get DAT prep or some background for upper level courses that you didn't get the first time around for whatever reason then by all means go for it. Starting small can ensure success further down the road. Finally, be patient. If you try to go too fast and take a ridiculous courseload one semester and end up choking then you're essentially done for. The best way I heard it described to me was that this post-bac thing is our safety net. If we fall from here there really isn't anything else to break our fall. So go all out but know your limitations -- it's all about the numbers at this point.

Good luck,
Matt

4thQtrDreams said:
I Might Be Wrong, but i dont think any school will consider your application without Orgo 1 & Orgo 2 Grades.. either way.. no way you could do well on the DAT without them.... I think you should ace these two classes and apply next year.. Guys, correct me if im wrong..

also remeber, AADSAS Does not refund money.

on the other hand, NYU does accept a lot of students..

Hi, guys thanks for the advice, actually i talked to the NYU and stonybrook, admission office and told them about my situation including that i haven't take Orgo, they told me to apply, and take the DAT's once accepted (if) than i had it was required of me to take these two classes. Actually i have haired a tutor for Orgo so it won't be that bad for DAT's. I know that i have to get above a 20 and it is hard but i can try my best if not i can apply next year. Oh i can apply only around NY cause of some personal problems. so please tell me what schools, emphises more on DATs than GPA. let me know thanks for the help

Hello, I posted a quesiton a while ago and I just want to say thanks to everyone who replied, I found the information very helpful! anne111, good luck applying and taking the DAT, you are going to have to study really hard for the Ochem section because it covers a lot of material but then again a lot of it is just Substrate + Recant = Product so it's basically a lot of memory. I'm taking the DAT early Aug so i'm also in been cramming all I can too! It seems like everyone in who has been sucessful who have under a 3 needed 20+ is almost all sections which seems very doable with some hard work.

I actually have a question to all of the people that choose to NOT do an official post bacc program and just went ahead and taken more undergrad classes to boost your GPA. For the people who have been sucessful at getting into schools/interviews about how many credit hours did you take/retake? I know that there are a lot of variables that go into the equation such as DAT scores, ec, experience, ect but there seems to be some people who have been sucessful going this route. By the time I apply for this application cycle I would have competed 22 hours of pure science classes with a 4.0 and by christmas I will have 35 hours and if I have to by spring I could have over 45 hours of pure science classes. Will the 22 hours be enough (assuming a good DAT score) for school to even take a second look at my app?! After christmas when I can update my app will it make any difference if they see the additional grades? I feel as though I should just get another under grad degree with all of these credits, haha. I know that I have already dug a hole for myself and I'm trying my best to get out of it. Thanks again for all the advice, this is by far the best post on SDN!!!

How's it goin people? When AADSAS calculated my GPA, I was pretty disappointed but not surprised. I have a overall 2.8, BCP of 3.01 :) , and science GPA of 2.81. I've recieved 4.0 semesters for the past year or so. I have A's in all my 300 to 400 level science classes (i.e. physiology, cell molecular, biochemistry). I got good DAT scores, but don't have much volunteer work or extra curricular activities. My app is in already, so it's too late to add anything else. I am stressin out about getting into dental school. If people can look at my stats below, and give me the brutal honest truth about my chances, I'd appreciate it. My app went out in the first mailings, and I took my DATs june 3rd. So, applying early was accomplished. Thanks. I appreciate it. :D

those numbers....wow. (who cares that your QR score is 18?! your AA is insane.) it's so crazy that your GPA is what it is, but you were able to TURN ON the studying for the DAT. any overall tips? how long did you study for? want to tutor me? hehe

you're older, too, right? you should have a good feeling...

Prayin80 said:
How's it goin people? When AADSAS calculated my GPA, I was pretty disappointed but not surprised. I have a overall 2.8, BCP of 3.01 :) , and science GPA of 2.81. I've recieved 4.0 semesters for the past year or so. I have A's in all my 300 to 400 level science classes (i.e. physiology, cell molecular, biochemistry). I got good DAT scores, but don't have much volunteer work or extra curricular activities. My app is in already, so it's too late to add anything else. I am stressin out about getting into dental school. If people can look at my stats below, and give me the brutal honest truth about my chances, I'd appreciate it. My app went out in the first mailings, and I took my DATs june 3rd. So, applying early was accomplished. Thanks. I appreciate it. :D

You should apply to more schools.

You guys think a BS in Dental Hygiene would look appealing to the boards?

Prayin80 said:

You are looking good for admission, given my experience. Your stats are very similar to mine when I applied in 2004. 24/18/19 and a 2.7 GPA, 2.9 Sic GPA, and 3.2 BCP. What case doubt on your chances is the low number of schools you applied to. I overkilled it with 25, but I was given interview to some school I really doubted my chances.

Prayin80 said:
wow u have great DAT scores....u should be ok,,,,,,good luck...( i'm in a similar situation but have not taken DAT yet)

You guys think a BS in Dental Hygiene would look appealing to the boards?

My Official Application for Admission....

I'm in my 5th year of undergrad with another year and half left. My gpa by my university is 2.37. After adcoms calculates it, I'm sure it would be <2.0 I have so many W's, I could fill a phone book. I am finally buckling down. I've treated school as an option ever since I entered. I am definately inspired by many of your stories, especially you Yah-E. I will keep gradual updates so hopefully, I too, can inspire.

Hope you will continue with graduate/Masters program and improve on your GPA. Show the dental adcoms your determination and you may become the next Yah-E.

Good luck

biocmp said:
My Official Application for Admission....

I'm in my 5th year of undergrad with another year and half left. My gpa by my university is 2.37. After adcoms calculates it, I'm sure it would be <2.0 I have so many W's, I could fill a phone book. I am finally buckling down. I've treated school as an option ever since I entered. I am definately inspired by many of your stories, especially you Yah-E. I will keep gradual updates so hopefully, I too, can inspire.

I am going on to do a graduate/ master's program. I am hoping to do it at the state university here. But obviously, if I don't get selected for it, then I will do one at Midwestern and follow Yah-E's footsteps.

biocmp said:
I am going on to do a graduate/ master's program. I am hoping to do it at the state university here. But obviously, if I don't get selected for it, then I will do one at Midwestern and follow Yah-E's footsteps.

Can anyone find a link to one of Yah-E's posts that tells his story?

I tried to no avail.

TIA

Kane

Kane said:
Can anyone find a link to one of Yah-E's posts that tells his story?

I tried to no avail.

TIA

Kane
This link should help you out a little! ;)

Yah-E said:
This link should help you out a little! ;)

i'm gonna check this out and get back to ya (rather, "yah").

Kane

OK, I am applying to Dental school this year (23 of them)
my GPA on AADSAS sucks, 2.9 but i just took the dat and got
19 AA, 22 PAT
19 TS
21 bio
18 g chem
18 o chem
18 math
22 RC

I did a week of service at a honduras dental school and some other observations and i think my personal statement is pretty good too. Anyone care to comment on my chances of getting in somewhere? The places I applied to are all the schools that had kind of low averages in the Dental school book. I'm a white male, so I won't have any special considerations. Lemme know what you guys think.

DJ Quik said:
OK, I am applying to Dental school this year (23 of them)
my GPA on AADSAS sucks, 2.9 but i just took the dat and got
19 AA, 22 PAT
19 TS
21 bio
18 g chem
18 o chem
18 math
22 RC

I did a week of service at a honduras dental school and some other observations and i think my personal statement is pretty good too. Anyone care to comment on my chances of getting in somewhere? The places I applied to are all the schools that had kind of low averages in the Dental school book. I'm a white male, so I won't have any special considerations. Lemme know what you guys think.

What do you want to hear? That you stand a chance? Of course you do. Would you stand a better chance with higher stats? YES! But your DAT is fine and I've seen worse GPAs. If you've shown improvement or have something that really stands out on your application (in a good way) then you have a good shot to interview where you'll have to shine. It's not all numbers (mostly, but not all).
Mack

Hi guys. My overall GPA is 3.0, my science GPA is 3.1. Post-Undergrad GPA 3.9

DAT:
AA20
TS20
Orgo22
GChem22
Bio18
PAT17
RC19
QR20

I have been accepted into the BU MAMS program for this fall, but am debating whether or not to enroll this fall. The issue is some schools (UCONN and UPENN for instance) said it's not much of an advantage and actually some schools would not even consider my application unless i will have completed the program before their dental school begin classes (BU's program can be done in 2 full semesters and 2 summer semesters if rushed).

My other option is to continue to take higher level science classes (biochem, physiology, micro, etc.) on my own at local universities and apply this coming cycle. My appliction is nearly complete (waiting on one transcript).

So i pose my question to you guys. BU's program or take classes on my own? In my mind it really depends on if i have a realistic chance to get into dental school anywhere with these stats. If i can I would prefer to avoid the extra 30K of BU and still go to dental school next fall instead of 2 years from now.

thanks

i think you stats looks great. amazing post-bacc GPA. very good DAT numbers.

so i vote for you to just take more ala carte upper-levels.

i think you're in! (hope that doesn't jinx you.)

newbie2 said:

is your post-undergrad GPA factored into your overall GPA?

newbie2 said:

DAT:
AA20
TS20
Orgo22
GChem22
Bio18
PAT17
RC19
QR20

I have been accepted into the BU MAMS program for this fall, but am debating whether or not to enroll this fall. The issue is some schools (UCONN and UPENN for instance) said it's not much of an advantage and actually some schools would not even consider my application unless i will have completed the program before their dental school begin classes (BU's program can be done in 2 full semesters and 2 summer semesters if rushed).

My other option is to continue to take higher level science classes (biochem, physiology, micro, etc.) on my own at local universities and apply this coming cycle. My appliction is nearly complete (waiting on one transcript).

So i pose my question to you guys. BU's program or take classes on my own? In my mind it really depends on if i have a realistic chance to get into dental school anywhere with these stats. If i can I would prefer to avoid the extra 30K of BU and still go to dental school next fall instead of 2 years from now.

thanks

newbie2, I believe your better off taking classes as opposed to enroling in a graduate program and trying to rush through. A majority of schools will look unfavorably on students who enroll in a program and do not intend on finishing the program.

Your post undergraduate gpa consists of what exactly? Upper level sciences or basketweaving class??

hockeydentist said:
newbie2, I believe your better off taking classes as opposed to enroling in a graduate program and trying to rush through. A majority of schools will look unfavorably on students who enroll in a program and do not intend on finishing the program.

Your post undergraduate gpa consists of what exactly? Upper level sciences or basketweaving class??

Thanks for the insight.

Post grad classes include:
Physics I and II
Organic Chem I and II
Human Anatomy

KOM said:
is your post-undergrad GPA factored into your overall GPA?

Yes, post bac classes are factored into my GPA. In fact, my overall GPA didn't change much after factoring them in, and the Science GPA improved slightly.

Kane said:
i think you stats looks great. amazing post-bacc GPA. very good DAT numbers.

so i vote for you to just take more ala carte upper-levels.

i think you're in! (hope that doesn't jinx you.)

Thank you. I certainly hope it doens't jinx me either.

As for schools, i'm applying to many school that accept a high number of out of state residents (i live in RI), BU, Tufts, NYU, UCONN and a few others i cannot recall of the top of my head. Any other suggestions?

what school did you do your post-bacc coursework at? not a community college, right?

Kane said:
what school did you do your post-bacc coursework at? not a community college, right?

Post bac classes taken at the Univ. of Rhode Island and Providence College. Does the caliber of school make that large a difference as far as post-bac gpa?

Sure. Adcomms aren't stupid. They know all the tricks applicants can use to make themselves appear attractive.

Intuitively, URI is more challenging than PC. Which post-bacc classes did you take at PC?

(I'm sure it's fine, though. A community college would be trouble, and a very obscure little 4 year isn't as impressive as, say, a university.)

Kane said:
Sure. Adcomms aren't stupid. They know all the tricks applicants can use to make themselves appear attractive.

Intuitively, URI is more challenging than PC. Which post-bacc classes did you take at PC?

(I'm sure it's fine, though. A community college would be trouble, and a very obscure little 4 year isn't as impressive as, say, a university.)

URI-
Physics I and II
Orgo I
Anatomy

PC
Orgo II
Orgo Lab I and II

This fall I am scheduled to take grad level biochem at URI and Physiology at Rhode Island College (scheduling conflicts with work) if i do not enroll at BU for the MAMS program.

hockeydentist said:
A majority of schools will look unfavorably on students who enroll in a program and do not intend on finishing the program.

FALSE! I didn't finish my Post-Bac (MBS) program at Midwestern and I was accepted to dental schools. As matter of fact, I only did 2 quarters of my MBS and not even do the entire first year of it, I was able to earn 4 acceptances from dental schools.

WHY? because my MBS program was "potent" and "effective"! Find a good post-bac program people, that is key!

i can't believe this thread is still alive...

Status
Not open for further replies.