The September 10th, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlugMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is early but its never too early to start "warming up" before you actually start studying. I bought the Kaplan MCAT flash cards and I just look at couple of them everyday to review topics before I start studying in mid June. What materials is everyone using/going to use?

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 9/10/14
Time: 2 PM
FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 39 (13/11/15)

This is the most relieved I've ever felt. I walked out of the test thinking it was way harder than the AAMC full lengths, and I ended up getting my average!

Reactions: 2 users
FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 39 (13/11/15)

This is the most relieved I've ever felt. I walked out of the test thinking it was way harder than the AAMC full lengths, and I ended up getting my average!

Wow, an inspirational message for the rest of us not to worry about how difficult the real test felt. Congratulations on such a phenomenal score.

Reactions: 1 users
9/10/14
2pm
AAMC Avg: ~40
Post test expected score: 36-38
Actual: (13/13/15) 41

Yayyyy

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously so happy for everyone! We rock, guys!! I know we all worked so hard and taking the test is absolutely draining. Even if you didn't do as well as you wanted you should still be proud of yourself. Maybe it's just the alcohol talking but we go through so much for our dreams - I think we should respect and admire ourselves for that at least.

Well said!

Seriously so happy for everyone! We rock, guys!! I know we all worked so hard and taking the test is absolutely draining. Even if you didn't do as well as you wanted you should still be proud of yourself. Maybe it's just the alcohol talking but we go through so much for our dreams - I think we should respect and admire ourselves for that at least.

Time: 2:00 pm
FL AAMC Average: 32 (with significant improvement in later practice, from a 26 on AAMC 3 --> 33 on AAMC 9 and 10)
Post-test expected score: 26-28
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 9/11/11 (31)

I knew I didn't do well on PS (it's always my weakest), and felt really off during VR and BS. I'm super happy and surprised that I didn't do as badly as I thought. However, with the upward trend I saw in my FL tests, I am debating retesting (this was my first test). Realistically, I would be looking at maybe 2-3 points overall improvement so still have to think about whether I should dedicate the time/energy or apply with one score.

Congrats to everyone!

Time:
2 PM
FL AAMC Average:
34,8 (AAMC no. 8-11) I only had 2 weeks to prepare for this test and thus only could complete 4 FL's - so this average isn't quite as useful for comparison purposes.
Post-test expected score: 33-36
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
35 - 12/12/11

Overall I was quite pleased with my science sections - PS was about where I expected post-test and BS is as good as I could have hoped for considering that I missed most of the discreets, it seems. Somewhat disappointed in my verbal score - I had been scoring only 13-14 on the practice verbals and I felt particularly confident after this one. I was actually concerned I'd score something like 11/14/10... I think this way is better though with regard to admissions. Hopefully it's not too late ! Applied this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Time: 8:00 am
FL AAMC Average: ?/11/? (AAMC 3R only)
Post-test expected score: ?/11/?
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 11/10/12 (33)

Sort of non-trad here just finishing up grad school, thought I'd attempt to apply this year before the MCAT switched over (I had been putting it off for years until my application was competitive). I worked full-time this summer and studied intermittently and then took some time off near test date. I completely messed up with timing my prep, and didn't finish TBR content review until a day before the test. Luckily I retained an understanding of the concepts from my pre-reqs (which I did well in) and TBR was a perfect refresher, otherwise this would have gone a lot differently. Verbal was the only thing I felt adequately prepared for (tons of EK101), but was interestingly my lowest score. I function well under pressure, so being 100% focused during the test definitely helped.

"Relief" doesn't even adequately describe it. It was like birthing triplets, I delayed for 3 hours and then sat with my finger on the button for literally 30 minutes before I checked my score. I meet all of the cutoffs required for the school I applied to, and I couldn't ask for more.

What I would have done differently (hopefully helpful for someone in a similar situation):
- IMMEDIATELY do an AAMC FL at the beginning of prep. If I had done a diagnostic FL early on, I would have realized that I could have better spent my time doing practice problems rather than an in-depth content review. It would also have given me a chance to expose my weaknesses
- NOT HORDE AAMC FLs TILL THE END OF CONTENT REVIEW. I ended up not actually doing any FLs, just individual timed passages, mostly from TBR.
- More verbal passages.
- Not try to compress SN2ed into 1 month. It's just not possible, even doing only the first 1/3.
- Not constantly underestimate my content knowledge.
- Not imagine the MCAT as some sort of monstrous beast. It's just a test. Difficult, yes, but you can write it again if need be. Fear definitely put me off writing it for a long time.

Congrats to everyone who got the score they needed, and best of luck to everyone retaking.

Wow dude congrats. As another non trad with the same composite on my third try I fully understand your relief. Cheers and good luck.

Time:
2 PM
FL AAMC Average:
Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
12/10/12 34

I hit my AAMC FL average so I have no ragrets but I don't know if I did well enough to stay in California. Congrats everyone!

First time posting on here, but I thought I would share:

Test Date: 9/12/14
Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: ~34 (scored a 36 once, but mostly 33s)
Post-test expected score: 31
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (13/11/12) 36

I was AMAZED when I saw my score. I honestly felt horrible walking out of that test, definitely did not think I would do this well. I am ecstatic. I really wanted to void my score but submitted it anyways, and I'm glad I did. I took AAMC 11 a week before my test date and got a 32 so I was not very confident, but I studied really hard for about 3.5 months. Just goes to show that even if you did well on the test you can walk out feeling terrible, but hard work does pay off.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Time: 8 A
M
FL AAMC Average:
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
30 - 12/6/12

I need to improve verbal somehow. Retaking.

I'm getting the feeling that this is exam was more brutal than it appears. We only have 1 person who posted a sub 30 score here, while over on reddit many more people are posting about doing worse than their average.

I'm getting the feeling that this is exam was more brutal than it appears. We only have 1 person who posted a sub 30 score here, while over on reddit many more people are posting about doing worse than their average.

Really? Everyone seems to have done quite well here. Any chance you could link me to the discussion?

Edit: Found it... Yeah lot's of mid-20s. I've taken 3 of these now and it felt pretty standard to me to be honest. Minus the verbal.. That VR was the hardest VR I have ever seen, and I've done all of the psgs in the EK101 book, the TPR hyperlearning WB, and the AAMC ones, including 2 previous MCATs.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average 3 - 9: 34
FL AAMC Average 10 + 11: 30
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 29: 9-9-11

I'm thrilled with this score - I was worried I'd have to re-take. Granted a 30 is the dream score, a handful of 29s and 28s can get in if you play your cards right! This has been one hell of an experience, congratulations to all test-takers- hurrah!

FL AAMC Average 3 - 9: 34
FL AAMC Average 10 + 11: 30
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 29: 9-9-11

I'm thrilled with this score - I was worried I'd have to re-take. Granted a 30 is the dream score, a handful of 29s and 28s can get in if you play your cards right! This has been one hell of an experience, congratulations to all test-takers- hurrah!
I hope to be 1 of those handful of 29's lol

Time: 8 A.M.
FL AAMC Average: 30.5
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 13/9/12 for a 34

Like most people have said, the exam was much harder than the practice full lengths due to dense and strange passages. be prepared for anything and the worst case scenario. I am lucky to be 3 points higher than my average somehow (zen-like adrenaline on the exam i guess.) my best advice is to take full lengths as much as possible, including harder ones such as TPR or GS, which in my opinion were more like the real one.

My scores are not very balanced, (verbal in the sack as usual.) I am signed up for an upcoming december exam, would you retake in my position? Thanks, and great effort to everyone on these forums!

Like most people have said, the exam was much harder than the practice full lengths due to dense and strange passages. be prepared for anything and the worst case scenario. I am lucky to be 3 points higher than my average somehow (zen-like adrenaline on the exam i guess.) my best advice is to take full lengths as much as possible, including harder ones such as TPR or GS, which in my opinion were more like the real one.

My scores are not very balanced, (verbal in the sack as usual.) I am signed up for an upcoming december exam, would you retake in my position? Thanks, and great effort to everyone on these forums!
noooo do not retake. i will trade you my 10/9/10 for yours lol. 34 is pretty solid

Don't retake. You scored 3.5 points over your average

Definitely not. I would celebrate the fact that you have a fantastic score competitive for MD schools.

Really? Everyone seems to have done quite well here. Any chance you could link me to the discussion?

Edit: Found it... Yeah lot's of mid-20s. I've taken 3 of these now and it felt pretty standard to me to be honest. Minus the verbal.. That VR was the hardest VR I have ever seen, and I've done all of the psgs in the EK101 book, the TPR hyperlearning WB, and the AAMC ones, including 2 previous MCATs.

I believe you guys are correct. It was the hardest I have ever seen. I am pretty sure the VR threw me off for BS because I usually score a 12-14 on BS but I only scored an 11 on the actual. Comparing to other MCAT dates discussions on sdn, I believe our "after MCAT score release" discussions are actually pretty quiet. Not that much posts about scores. Sad to say.

Congrats to everyone who achieved the score they wanted. I know I did when I got a 9 in verbal. Might not sound as big to others that scored 10+ on verbal but I am a first generation and it took a sh1t load of work to get that 9 from 5-6's. Congrats to all. Life is good.

To that person that asked if we were able to walk out of the exam- I think that if we do not click the "score our exam" button at the end of the test, they are not able to release it. So theoretically, time would run out on the BS if you walked out after the VR section and would end like normal as if you had hit the "void" button.

To that person that asked if we were able to walk out of the exam- I think that if we do not click the "score our exam" button at the end of the test, they are not able to release it. So theoretically, time would run out on the BS if you walked out after the VR section and would end like normal as if you had hit the "void" button.

"Score the test" is the default choice. If you don't touch anything, it will be scored. Now I don't know what happens if you didn't touch anything on BS but if the people at the testing center let the time run out, I think it would be scored.

If you really want to leave before you finish, it's not that hard. Just end the break time. Start the BS. End the BS 1 second later. Then choose "do not score". This takes <20 seconds.

"Score the test" is the default choice. If you don't touch anything, it will be scored. Now I don't know what happens if you didn't touch anything on BS but if the people at the testing center let the time run out, I think it would be scored.

If you really want to leave before you finish, it's not that hard. Just end the break time. Start the BS. End the BS 1 second later. Then choose "do not score". This takes <20 seconds.

AAMC Test Site:
Respond to the Void screen.At the end of the exam, you will be presented with an option to score or void your exam. We cannot reverse your selection once you have submitted it. Another important note is that, as with the Non-Disclosure Agreement, you will have five minutes to respond to this question. However, unlike the Non-Disclosure screen where your answer will default to "no" should you fail to respond, the Void screen will default to "yes, score my exam." We cannot change this.

You are correct that the default choice is "yes, score my exam." Personally, I think thats really shady of AAMC. I guess he literally did end the BS section early. I also heard personally from some people at my test site that they were totally blown away by the length of the VR since it was actually 2 paragraphs longer than the practice AAMCs. Well knowing that the default choice is to score the exam, I am not actually surprised that AAMC has another trick up their sleeves to burden the already frustrated and stressed out test taker's mind.

Got a score below my average

Retaking in January.

As expected, I bombed verbal. Did better in Bio than in any of my practice tests (usually do better in Physics).

Coming back with a vengeance in January. This time I'm really going to work on my logical thinking and faster problem solving.

Biggest lessons learned:

Take good care of yourself and your mind the day before and the day of the test and you should score around your average or better.

Also, don't cram all your practice into 2-3 weeks like I did. I spent much longer on content review due to my thirst for true understandings. But understanding isn't the same as applying under pressure. After all that content review, my first practice test was a 19. After that wake-up call, I frantically did about ~12-14 practice test in the last 2-3 weeks. By the time the test rolled around, I was pretty burnt to be honest. Not giving myself the day before to properly rest didn't help either.

Majority of your studying should be practice tests and analysis of practice tests. This was able to get me from 19 to 30 in 2-3 weeks. I've found that, in reality, you don't really have to know any single topic that deeply. Instead, you just want to spend more of your time training your brain to solve problems and make good decisions (best decisions) as quickly as possible - like if you were a doctor. Of course, knowing things deeply can help, but it doesn't help you think and solve problems quickly enough unless you practice. Spread that practice out over a few months and you should be sharp enough to tackle the test.

I could argue that I (and many others) would do so much better if there wasn't a time component. I feel that I am pretty good at methodical and deliberate thinking. With unlimited time and sufficient content review, you can definitely reason your way to the right answers. But just like a doctor, you have to hone this type of thinking under pressure and time constraints. You could know the **** out of any one subject; but if your critical thinking skills aren't as sharp as they should be, there's no way you will be able to answer 42-50 questions out of 52 correctly on a consistent basis (or 32-40 questions out of 40 on verbal) with a clock bearing down on you. Alas, I finally know what everyone is talking about when they say that the MCAT is not a test of knowledge.

tl;dr: Practice solving problems quickly and hone your critical thinking and you should be good on the MCAT. Make sure that practice takes precedence over content review when you prepare for the exam. Even though this advice has been given thousands of times, I didn't listen, and it bit me thoroughly in the booty.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 23 (low-17 High 27) Took 10 FLs
Post-test expected score: 25
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 31 (12/8/11)

I am currently a 26yo senior trying to follow a dream since childhood. This last summer I enrolled in a 3 month class to cover all the material I thought I would need to take the MCAT. Needless to say, it was three months of nothing but stress and constant studying. Taking the FLs only added to the stress as I could never get a score that made me happy. My last three FL the week before the test (1 test every other day) were all 27. Then the 10th came and there was nothing left for me to do but pray and give it my all.

The test began alright, I was never strong in PS but I felt this section went relatively smoothly. After taking my break to grab some lunch and pray for a steady head and strong mind (two things I never really have during the VR sections) I went back in to face the fear. THIS.SECTION.ROCKED.ME. I do not know if the methods taught to us in my class were helpful or not, but I was not able to finish almost two of the passages, I had to rely on guessing for one and quickly skimming the other. The 10 minute break following this section was greatly needed. I sat there contemplating just voiding my test because there was no way I could succeed. So I did the only thing I could do at this scenario, I asked God for guidance and the nerves to finish strong. As a Biology major I should be comfortable with this subject, but this section however was tough due to the various concepts thrown in. The section came and went, with no spare time remaining. I wanted to void more than anything but I had a feeling in my gut that I would regret it. I completed the test section just to at least get something back from that day and practically guessed on each problem. Mostly I used that time to calm down my nerves.

I walked out of the test center wanting to be sick, while at the same time feeling so much relief that it was finally over. The next month was near torture as I waited to find the fate of my future. My motivation in school was shot, and I could not help but plan for retaking the new test since all dates were booked for the current one. Then Oct 15th came, I had class till 4pm so naturally I was unable to concentrate on anything. Upon getting home I opened the AAMC website and called my fiancee, she had been so supportive of me the whole time and I needed nothing more than for her to be with me at this time. Her being 6 hours away, a phone call was the closest I would get. Silence plagued the line as I clicked "login" to view my scores.... and my heart exploded! Raw emotion flooded over me as I saw that 31 and I am not ashamed to say that I cried tears of pure happiness and joy. I had just done something I didn't think possible. I had the love and support of an amazing woman, and the possibility of creating a great future for the both of us.

There is much to do still for the future but that is one step down!! Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best.

Reactions: 7 users
FL AAMC Average: 23 (low-17 High 27) Took 10 FLs
Post-test expected score: 25
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 31 (12/8/11)

I am currently a 26yo senior trying to follow a dream since childhood. This last summer I enrolled in a 3 month class to cover all the material I thought I would need to take the MCAT. Needless to say, it was three months of nothing but stress and constant studying. Taking the FLs only added to the stress as I could never get a score that made me happy. My last three FL the week before the test (1 test every other day) were all 27. Then the 10th came and there was nothing left for me to do but pray and give it my all.

The test began alright, I was never strong in PS but I felt this section went relatively smoothly. After taking my break to grab some lunch and pray for a steady head and strong mind (two things I never really have during the VR sections) I went back in to face the fear. THIS.SECTION.ROCKED.ME. I do not know if the methods taught to us in my class were helpful or not, but I was not able to finish almost two of the passages, I had to rely on guessing for one and quickly skimming the other. The 10 minute break following this section was greatly needed. I sat there contemplating just voiding my test because there was no way I could succeed. So I did the only thing I could do at this scenario, I asked God for guidance and the nerves to finish strong. As a Biology major I should be comfortable with this subject, but this section however was tough due to the various concepts thrown in. The section came and went, with no spare time remaining. I wanted to void more than anything but I had a feeling in my gut that I would regret it. I completed the test section just to at least get something back from that day and practically guessed on each problem. Mostly I used that time to calm down my nerves.

I walked out of the test center wanting to be sick, while at the same time feeling so much relief that it was finally over. The next month was near torture as I waited to find the fate of my future. My motivation in school was shot, and I could not help but plan for retaking the new test since all dates were booked for the current one. Then Oct 15th came, I had class till 4pm so naturally I was unable to concentrate on anything. Upon getting home I opened the AAMC website and called my fiancee, she had been so supportive of me the whole time and I needed nothing more than for her to be with me at this time. Her being 6 hours away, a phone call was the closest I would get. Silence plagued the line as I clicked "login" to view my scores.... and my heart exploded! Raw emotion flooded over me as I saw that 31 and I am not ashamed to say that I cried tears of pure happiness and joy. I had just done something I didn't think possible. I had the love and support of an amazing woman, and the possibility of creating a great future for the both of us.

There is much to do still for the future but that is one step down!! Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best.

Congrats dude!!! Super happy for you after reading this!

AAMC Test Site:
Respond to the Void screen.At the end of the exam, you will be presented with an option to score or void your exam. We cannot reverse your selection once you have submitted it. Another important note is that, as with the Non-Disclosure Agreement, you will have five minutes to respond to this question. However, unlike the Non-Disclosure screen where your answer will default to "no" should you fail to respond, the Void screen will default to "yes, score my exam." We cannot change this.

You are correct that the default choice is "yes, score my exam." Personally, I think thats really shady of AAMC. I guess he literally did end the BS section early. I also heard personally from some people at my test site that they were totally blown away by the length of the VR since it was actually 2 paragraphs longer than the practice AAMCs. Well knowing that the default choice is to score the exam, I am not actually surprised that AAMC has another trick up their sleeves to burden the already frustrated and stressed out test taker's mind.

I disagree that the default being "yes, score my exam" is "shady".

The majority of people who take the test wish to get it scored. That's why it's the default. You don't (or at least most people don't) go into the exam wishing to void. You expect after having taken the exam to get it scored.

If the default was "no, don't score my exam", the # of people who accidentally don't get their exams scored would be so high.

If anyone is planning on dropping a test anytime in January anywhere in the U.S., please let me know. I didn't have the foresight to sign up before my scores came out. Thanks!

Hey all, just cancelled a Jan. 23 slot in Denver, CO. I am also selling a brand-new, untouched set of Princeton Review materials for $150, including In-Class Compendium, Science Work Book and syllabus for a 9 week study plan. I studied independently (never attended one class) using only those materials and AAMC tests and pulled a 10/10/11. PM me for details!