The Second Tier Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sambar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone give me an idea about the good,but not the top, programs???I guess many of you too would like to hear the answer to that.....:)

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my opinion of good programs (but not top):

BIDMC, Emory, WashU, UCLA, Stanford, Cornell, University of Washington, Baylor, UCSD, Rush

BIDMC, Emory, WashU, UCLA, Stanford, Cornell, University of Washington, Baylor, UCSD, Rush

oh wise methyldopa (said with absolutely no sarcasm :) )...

do you think applying to 15+ programs, including all the tops and all the 2nd tier, is overdoing it?

or put another way, what do you think would it take for a US neuro applicant to apply to many programs and NOT match?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wise methyldopa (said with absolutely no sarcasm :) )...

do you think applying to 15+ programs, including all the tops and all the 2nd tier, is overdoing it?

or put another way, what do you think would it take for a US neuro applicant to apply to many programs and NOT match?

When I applied back in the day (a year ago!), I was originally going to apply to 15 programs, but then panicked when I saw everyone on this forum applying to 20 some places. I ended up doing the same, which was way to many programs. But I think why not, if you can afford it, apply to 15-20, better to be safe!

I think the odds of not matching are very slim for US seniors. Like 95% (I can't remember the exact figure) matched last year.

For me I picked a couple of top tiers, a couple of middle tiers, and a couple of low tiers. And ended up interviewing with the same strategy in mind.

Would it be too much of a stretch to include Duke on this list? And how far back do people think UAB and Vanderbilt are from this level?