The Scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staydin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on how to handle the scramble, if it come's down to that? Anyone go through this personally, and what guidelines would you give?

Just hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

staydin said:
Anyone have any advice on how to handle the scramble, if it come's down to that? Anyone go through this personally, and what guidelines would you give?

Just hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Thanks in advance.

My thought is, no PM&R applicant will have the opportunity to go through it. Since you will apply for a first year position separately for the vast majority of programs, you will be charaterized as having matched, and thus not be notified of your need to scramble for second yeaar positions.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure when you get the notification about whether you've matched or not, they tell you if you have matched or matched only for prelim year. So you should have the chance to scramble. Neurology, Anesthesia, Radiology, Derm, and PM&R would all be in the same position, right??

Members don't see this ad :)
axm397 said:
I'm pretty sure when you get the notification about whether you've matched or not, they tell you if you have matched or matched only for prelim year. So you should have the chance to scramble. Neurology, Anesthesia, Radiology, Derm, and PM&R would all be in the same position, right??

I am not sure how it will work in that case. I never considered the possibility of the PGY-1 year. So for many people that may be a concern.

But a significant number of applicants are Osteopaths, and the above scenario doesn't really matter. I know many of us only ranked PMR programs in the Allopathic Match.

But I would imagine, like axm397 said, you would mostly likely be notified according to the match of PGY-1 and PGY-2 years.

Applicants are notified whether they matched (or did not match) for Prelim spot as well as speciality (PGY2) spot. It will be addressed as two separate matches...i think. But basically, from how it was explained to me, there is no way that you will go umatched in a PGY2 spot and not know it (no matter if you matched for a prelim spot or not).

If you match for PGY1 or both prelim+PGY2 you just get told you've matched right? That's all it says for me, no indication whether I gotPGY1 or prelim and PGY2. I would assume if you didn't match to prelim then it would indicate you've only matched to PGY2?
this is annoying.......

Edit:
I think I found my answer
4 possibilities on Black Monday

1)"Congratulations, you have matched."---this means you matched both for prelim and for advanced residency program.

2)"Congratulations, you have matched into a one year position."---this means you matched for your prelim only and not advanced residency program

3)"Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced position."---this means you matched for an advanced residency program but not for your prelim

4)Notification that you did not match for advanced residency program or prelim.

Gauss said:
If you match for PGY1 or both prelim+PGY2 you just get told you've matched right? That's all it says for me, no indication whether I gotPGY1 or prelim and PGY2. I would assume if you didn't match to prelim then it would indicate you've only matched to PGY2?
this is annoying.......

Edit:
I think I found my answer
4 possibilities on Black Monday

1)"Congratulations, you have matched."---this means you matched both for prelim and for advanced residency program.

2)"Congratulations, you have matched into a one year position."---this means you matched for your prelim only and not advanced residency program

3)"Congratulations, you have matched into an advanced position."---this means you matched for an advanced residency program but not for your prelim

4)Notification that you did not match for advanced residency program or prelim.

is this accurate??? if so then I matched both prelim and pm&R b/c they said "congrats, you have matched"

yoohooo!