The Republic of Texas XL: If you are riding a high horse, there ain't no way to get down off it gracefully.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UTMB, UTRGV, & Long are some schools that offer tours for interviewees–and there may be some other schools as well.
Thank you ! Not TAMU and Texas Tech, Lubbock

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After being interviewed by a school where will it show tmdsas that you interviewed with that school?

Members don't see this ad :)
After being interviewed by a school where will it show tmdsas that you interviewed with that school?
Here's the explanation from earlier in this thread: #21

If it has been 2-3 weeks after your interview and it isn't showing up, a kind email to the admissions office would be appropriate, saying something like "I enjoyed my interview and I am looking to see [schoolx] in my TMDSAS portal so I can rank you - would you please check this for me?"

Here's the explanation from earlier in this thread: #21

If it has been 2-3 weeks after your interview and it isn't showing up, a kind email to the admissions office would be appropriate, saying something like "I enjoyed my interview and I am looking to see [schoolx] in my TMDSAS portal so I can rank you - would you please check this for me?"
Will it show up on the status tab of TMDSAS?

How does the process of narrowing down schools work for OOS applicants? I've been very fortunate to be admitted to both a TMDSAS school and an AMCAS school. Since I don't participate in the match, how does this work?

Do I go on AMCAS in the spring and withdrawal from schools? Does TMDSAS have a page for OOS to do the same, or do we just go on the schools portals and withdrawal?

Thank you!

How does the process of narrowing down schools work for OOS applicants? I've been very fortunate to be admitted to both a TMDSAS school and an AMCAS school. Since I don't participate in the match, how does this work?

Do I go on AMCAS in the spring and withdrawal from schools? Does TMDSAS have a page for OOS to do the same, or do we just go on the schools portals and withdrawal?

Thank you!
For right now you may accept both offers and they are not binding. Read the web page of the TMDSAS schools you are accepted to and see when they want you to commit to enroll (or email them and ask, if it's not in your acceptance offer email).
By April 30 choose one school and withdraw from the others by direct communication (usually an email to office of admission).
I'm not sure if OOS applicants can withdraw on the TMDSAS portal or not, but if you message TMDSAS on the portal when the time comes, they are very responsive.
Congrats on your acceptances!

I've been keeping a running list of when each Texas school made their first pre-match offers. Prematch offers can still be made until the end of January 2022.

Baylor was the final school to break the ice with its first phone calls to offer admission today (11/30/2021).
Want to see what's what? Check over here: Texas first pre-match offers

Want to see a running list of all interview invitation dates? over here: Texas Interview Invitations

Keep your chin up, there's time for more interviews to come.

Last edited:
TMDSAS has published the number of total applications for this application year (EY 2022).

The relevant data chart is here, pardon the screen-shot poor image quality:

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 12.19.59 PM.png

Total number of complete applications this year was 6763

This number is up 11% from the pre-pandemic year EY2020, but down 8% from last year's high of 7361

Reactions: 6 users
I imagine that a significant portion of the EY2022 vs. EY 2020 increase in applications was due to Baylor joining TMDSAS.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I imagine that a significant portion of the EY2022 vs. EY 2020 increase in applications was due to Baylor joining TMDSAS.
Good point- but this is a total of all who submitted a complete TMDSAS application, and most who do this apply to many TMDSAS schools.
The only increase would be from OOS applicants who want Baylor and were obliged to fill out the TMDSAS app to apply there.

Good point- but this is a total of all who submitted a complete TMDSAS application, and most who do this apply to many TMDSAS schools.
The only increase would be from OOS applicants who want Baylor and were obliged to fill out the TMDSAS app to apply there.
Correct. Baylor had 4862 OOS apps according to the latest reported numbers from before Baylor joined TMDSAS.

It's not crazy to think around 700 of them are now applicants to TMDSAS when they would not have been before, while others were always TMDSAS applicants and still others dropped Baylor altogether because they did not want to go through TMDSAS to only apply to one school as an OOS applicant.

Other reports have indicated that apps this cycle returned to something close to pre-pandemic numbers. Nothing in the TMDSAS report, given that it's comparing a number that includes Baylor to one that doesn't, refutes this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct. Baylor had 4862 OOS apps according to the latest reported numbers from before Baylor joined TMDSAS.

It's not crazy to think around 700 of them are now applicants to TMDSAS when they would not have been before, while others were always TMDSAS applicants and still others dropped Baylor altogether because they did not want to go through TMDSAS to only apply to one school as an OOS applicant.

Other reports have indicated that apps this cycle returned to something close to pre-pandemic numbers. Nothing in the TMDSAS report, given that it's comparing a number that includes Baylor to one that doesn't, refutes this.
Likewise there were some Texans who previously didn't apply to Baylor because they didn't want to file an AMCAS app just for one school, but can now include it as one of their TMDSAS schools.
So, that group of Texans wouldn't affect our total number of TMDSAS applicants, but OOS people who want Baylor probably did boost it up a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
It's been 6-7 weeks since I've interviewed with Dell, and they still haven't appeared in my ranked list. I've emailed at the 2-3 week mark. I don't think it means anything, but should I try emailing another person in Dell admissions to make sure?

TMDSAS and Texas Health Education Service will be sponsoring a live presentation on the TMDSAS Match on January 18 at Noon Central Time Zone. I recommend that you go watch their Match video first

and then tune in to this live session to get your questions answered directly by the experts. The sessions used to be always on their Facebook page but they might have it on the TXHES YouTube Channel for more access.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Oof. This wait for such a monumental life moment... brutal!

With the school rank preference deadline coming up, I was wondering what characteristics y'all were looking for in a med school. So far I've got location (both for opportunities and entertainment), curriculum, overall student environment, support system I'd have there, third-party resources offered. Any ideas on other important things to look at ???

With the school rank preference deadline coming up, I was wondering what characteristics y'all were looking for in a med school. So far I've got location (both for opportunities and entertainment), curriculum, overall student environment, support system I'd have there, third-party resources offered. Any ideas on other important things to look at ???
Research opportunities, free clinic/volunteering opportunities, do they do internal rankings?/AOA?, match list, rotation locations, cost of living.

That's all I can think of in addition to your list.

Research opportunities, free clinic/volunteering opportunities, do they do internal rankings?/AOA?, match list, rotation locations, cost of living.

That's all I can think of in addition to your list.
Thanks for your input dude! Was not thinking about internal rankings at all. Appreciate it!

I'm looking for quality clinical opportunities (diversity of patient populations and many home residency programs), an administration that is responsive to student feedback, manageable COL, and a track record of graduates matching into the type of residency programs I'm currently interested in.

Here's a link to a post I just made on the official TMDSAS questions thread, showing the new TMDSAS Data Set, presented in an interactive format. I didn't want to copy/paste the entire post and instructions, so check it out over here; #472

I've read other threads that explained the match process, which I understand for the most part. However, I'm still confused by the April 30 deadline. Is that more for individuals who have offers to an out of state school as well as to a Texas school? Since Match day is March, there's no way that anyone could have multiple offers to Texas schools by April 30th correct unless they are OOS applicants (if they are in state applicants they could potentially have a match school and multiple waitlists but not multiple acceptances)?

The post-match process is really confusing to me

I've read other threads that explained the match process, which I understand for the most part. However, I'm still confused by the April 30 deadline. Is that more for individuals who have offers to an out of state school as well as to a Texas school? Since Match day is March, there's no way that anyone could have multiple offers to Texas schools by April 30th correct unless they are OOS applicants (if they are in state applicants they could potentially have a match school and multiple waitlists but not multiple acceptances)?

The post-match process is really confusing to me
It is a little confusing, especially thinking that on Match Day we're done and we all know the answer, right?

Here's what could happen after Match Day:
1. You match to your #2 choice, but get put on a WL for your #1
Later school #1 offers you admission from the WL - You have to choose whether to take it or stick with your match.
If you decide to take the WL offer you will accept it, then take time to write your Match school and say you are withdrawing because of an offer that fits your needs better. You would temporarily be holding 2 acceptances, until the school you turn down drops you off their list.

2. You match, but are on several TMDSAS Wait lists and you hope to keep "trading up". You could do that if offered a place from a WL, but ONLY until May 15th. After that date, nobody already holding a TMDSAS acceptance (whether IS or OOS) can be offered admission by a TMDSAS school.
The period between May 15th and the start of school orientations is the period that makes many TMDSAS applicants who have had interviews but didn't match very happy, as any vacancies that arise in a TMDSAS school roster tend to go to them.

3. You have a TMDSAS Match, but also get an OOS offer, after Match Day. Again, you need to choose one of these schools, but you could hold both seats until April 30, at which point you must choose one.

Last edited:
It is a little confusing, especially thinking that on Match Day we're done and we all know the answer, right?

Here's what could happen after Match Day:
1. You match to your #2 choice, but get put on a WL for your #1
Later school #1 offers you admission from the WL - You have to choose whether to take it or stick with your match.
If you decide to take the WL offer you will accept it, then take time to write your Match school and say you are withdrawing because of an offer that fits your needs better. You would temporarily be holding 2 acceptances, until the school you turn down drops you off their list.

2. You match, but are on several TMDSAS Wait lists and you hope to keep "trading up". You could do that if offered a place from a WL, but ONLY until May 15th. After that date, nobody already holding a TMDSAS acceptance (whether IS or OOS) can be offered admission by a TMDSAS school.
The period between May 15th and the start of school orientations is the period that makes many TMDSAS applicants who have had interviews but didn't match very happy, as any vacancies that arise in a TMDSAS school roster tend to go to them.

3. You have a TMDSAS Match, but also get an OOS offer, after Match Day. Again, you need to choose one of these schools, but you could hold both seats until April 30, at which point you must choose one.
This makes a lot more sense. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me!

This makes a lot more sense. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me!
I think @wysdoc is basically saying that
1) You could get two acceptances (with the question being choosing between the two)
2) You get several acceptances and bargain for your #1/financial aid
3) You get one Texas med school acceptance and an OOS acceptance
:D

Happy Valentines Day :biglove:

Don't forget to show the love to the schools where you interviewed by ranking them on your TMDSAS portal before 5pm on Friday Feb 18th!

Cruise over here for a longer post and your Valentine card from TMDSAS : #476

Is there data on how many students get interviews but don’t match?

Texas TMDSAS cowboys & cowgirls:

Friday morning, March 4th, you will get your Match news from TMDSAS. See it by logging in to your portal after 8 am.

I wish you all the best. The chance to study medicine is a wonderful privilege.

Even if you get the dreaded message "no match", a lot can happen between now and med school orientation time, with invitations to join a class from a wait list. Remember, there are a good number of sought-after applicants heading into the match ranking system with more than one pre-match offer from Texas schools. They will emerge from Match Day with only one school, so those "extra" spots offered to them will be matched to someone else. Maybe you!

No matter what happens Friday, you are still the same smart, ambitious person you were today and your mama still loves you!

Wysdoc

cowgirl4.jpg

In 1955, Jean Anne Evans, a baby cowgirl & her mama from Texas on her family's ranch in Fort Davis
(LIFE magazine photographer Alan Grant)

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Head on over to the THES page to read their very complete and comprehensive 3/2/22 article about all things Match and after-Match:

Reactions: 2 users
I still can't believe it, I matched to Tech in Lubbock tis morning. My one and only interview. Beyond excited. I want say thank you WYSDOC for all that you do. Your advice and wisdom has helped me beyond you can imagine. Again, thank you!!!!

How's everybody doing?

Yesterday was a big day and the culmination of years of work and months of waiting after applying to medical schools.
Gaining admission is tough and competitive, even in Texas where we have so many schools.
In TMDSAS about half of those who had interviews will matriculate in Texas.
This leaves the other half, some pretty great people, with disappointing news to handle and new plans to make.

If you haven't heard from some of your premed friends, they might have had some disappointing news and might need a moment to cope, so be a friend and reach out with kindness when you can.

Med schools will follow up with y'all soon, either with enrollment information or WL information.
NRMP Match Week (for MS4's getting their residencies) is March 14th to 18th, so school administrators will be busy supporting those current students for a bit.

Be good to yourselves & spend time with those who matter to you.

cute-baby-horse-and-mom-400x406.png

• Love
  • Care
Hi ya'll, just got off the WL at my second choice school and looking for advice. My match day rankings were 1) School A, 2) School B, and 3) School C. I did not match to any school on match day. I got a WL acceptance from School B. What do I need to do to secure my spot at School B while still staying on the WL for School A? If I accept the offer from School B now, will I still have a chance at School A, or will I be removed from the WL at School A. Also, do I need to notify School C of my acceptance offer at a higher ranked school? Much appreciated

@wysdoc hoping for your expert advice. Tyvm in advance

Hi ya'll, just got off the WL at my second choice school and looking for advice. My match day rankings were 1) School A, 2) School B, and 3) School C. I did not match to any school on match day. I got a WL acceptance from School B. What do I need to do to secure my spot at School B while still staying on the WL for School A? If I accept the offer from School B now, will I still have a chance at School A, or will I be removed from the WL at School A. Also, do I need to notify School C of my acceptance offer at a higher ranked school? Much appreciated

@wysdoc hoping for your expert advice. Tyvm in advance
Congratulations @namrak :highfive:
You are welcome to DM me to discuss details if you wish.
The general answer is:
1. Thank school B and accept your offer
2. Have you been notified that you are "on" the WL for school A or C?
3. You can still remain on WLs for other TMDSAS schools until May 15th. If you hear nothing by then, B is your school. Get pumped up about moving there. :woot:

Congratulations @namrak :highfive:
You are welcome to DM me to discuss details if you wish.
The general answer is:
1. Thank school B and accept your offer
2. Have you been notified that you are "on" the WL for school A or C?
3. You can still remain on WLs for other TMDSAS schools until May 15th. If you hear nothing by then, B is your school. Get pumped up about moving there. :woot:
May 15th is the final day for waitlist decisions :0? I thought some schools extended waitlist offers into June and July.

May 15th is the final day for waitlist decisions :0? I thought some schools extended waitlist offers into June and July.
No, waitlists can go on past this date.

By our specific TMDSAS rules, a person holding a TMDSAS acceptance can no longer be eligible for more offers from TMDSAS WLs after May 15.

Any WL offers after that will go to OOS applicants or unmatched Texans.

No, waitlists can go on past this date.

By our specific TMDSAS rules, a person holding a TMDSAS acceptance can no longer be eligible for more offers from TMDSAS WLs after May 15.

Any WL offers after that will go to OOS applicants or unmatched Texans.
Oh wow I did not know that.
Thank you!

Hi! So I've been accepted to UTSW Medical School and been waitlisted at two Top 20 schools. I am confused by the terms of enrollment by TMDSAS. When I plan to enroll by April 30th, does that mean that I will be withdrawn from the other schools I have been waitlisted at? Furthermore, at what point do I need to withdraw myself from the waitlists at the other schools to satisfy UTSW requirements? I know the chances of getting off of the waitlist are slim at these top schools, but hypothetically if I get into either then I would go to them over UTSW. Can someone clarify the requirements for me? I am confused by the wording on the FAQs page. Thanks!

Hi! So I've been accepted to UTSW Medical School and been waitlisted at two Top 20 schools. I am confused by the terms of enrollment by TMDSAS. When I plan to enroll by April 30th, does that mean that I will be withdrawn from the other schools I have been waitlisted at? Furthermore, at what point do I need to withdraw myself from the waitlists at the other schools to satisfy UTSW requirements? I know the chances of getting off of the waitlist are slim at these top schools, but hypothetically if I get into either then I would go to them over UTSW. Can someone clarify the requirements for me? I am confused by the wording on the FAQs page. Thanks!
The wording from various UTSW web pages is:
  • April 30
    Last day to resolve multiple offers. This date applies to all medical schools across the nation. It is the final day an applicant can hold on to more than one offer from an LCME accredited medical school.
and
By April 30 of the matriculation year, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school should choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw from all other schools.
and their "You're in: What's Next?"page You’re In: What’s Next?

At this point you do not hold more than one offer of admission so you really don't have to do anything. There is no mention of a specific "Commit to Enroll" date on the UTSW pages or on the MSAR.

The other 2 schools where you are on WLs , if they look you up, will be able to see on May 1 that you have marked "PTE" "somewhere" but they will know that it's not at their school because they haven't made you an offer so far. They will NOT be able to see how many WLs you remain on.

Last of all, for TMDSAS applicants the use of the CYMS tool is optional. Your direct communication with the schools is more important.
If you have also applied to AMCAS schools, then your TMDSAS schools will also show up on the CYMS tool.

You should have by now accepted your offer of admission to UTSW by confirming with them after Match Day.
You may remain on the other WLs. If you get an offer from a WL you prefer, it will be your responsibility to communicate directly with that school to accept it, and to communicate directly to UTSW to withdraw. Neither of these things happens automatically.

Attachments

• 8-timeline_what_applicants_and_medical_schools_can_do_and_when.jpg
    8-timeline_what_applicants_and_medical_schools_can_do_and_when.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 110
The wording from various UTSW web pages is:
  • April 30
    Last day to resolve multiple offers. This date applies to all medical schools across the nation. It is the final day an applicant can hold on to more than one offer from an LCME accredited medical school.
and
By April 30 of the matriculation year, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school should choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw from all other schools.
and their "You're in: What's Next?"page You’re In: What’s Next?

At this point you do not hold more than one offer of admission so you really don't have to do anything. There is no mention of a specific "Commit to Enroll" date on the UTSW pages or on the MSAR.

The other 2 schools where you are on WLs , if they look you up, will be able to see on May 1 that you have marked "PTE" "somewhere" but they will know that it's not at their school because they haven't made you an offer so far. They will NOT be able to see how many WLs you remain on.

Last of all, for TMDSAS applicants the use of the CYMS tool is optional. Your direct communication with the schools is more important.
If you have also applied to AMCAS schools, then your TMDSAS schools will also show up on the CYMS tool.

You should have by now accepted your offer of admission to UTSW by confirming with them after Match Day.
You may remain on the other WLs. If you get an offer from a WL you prefer, it will be your responsibility to communicate directly with that school to accept it, and to communicate directly to UTSW to withdraw. Neither of these things happens automatically.
So to clarify. Suppose I get off of the waitlist after May 15th at School A, and would like to commit. I just need to convey withdrawing my admission to UTSW via email correct? I am still allowed to remain on those waitlists past May 15th? Thank you so much!

So to clarify. Suppose I get off of the waitlist after May 15th at School A, and would like to commit. I just need to convey withdrawing my admission to UTSW via email correct? I am still allowed to remain on those waitlists past May 15th? Thank you so much!
Yes, you could accept a WL offer any time before orientation at school A.
If this happens you accept A’s offer, and when they confirm with you then promptly directly contact your TMDSAS school to withdraw.

Hey @wysdoc sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this, but do you know if UT Tyler will be open for applications for students for the 2022-2023 cycle?

Hey @wysdoc sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this, but do you know if UT Tyler will be open for applications for students for the 2022-2023 cycle?
Yes, it will be open for applications in the 2022-2023 cycle.
If it doesn't appear as a school you can select when the application first opens up on May 2, message TMDSAS in your portal and let them know you are interested in adding UT Tyler when it is available.

Texas Roundup: April 17, 2022

I'll start up my Texas Roundup posts for this 2021-2022 season.
Texas Roundup posts are where I list all the new regular admissions, WL admissions and the withdrawals that I see from Texas-school SDN members.

WL action always starts out painfully slow, but at the end of April/into May it does start happening.
Today's post will include all the WL offers SDN members have shared from March 5, 2022 to today. I will also list places where Texans have withdrawn from an acceptance due to an offer they prefer.

After this, the Roundups will be just what's been posted since the prior Roundup. This is just for fun and I can only see what people share on SDN, I don't have any insider source. I'll say IS or OOS if I know.

Disclaimers out of the way, let's rodeo!

March 5 to April 17, 2022

1or 2 UTRGV offers from WL
1 TCU offer of admission
1 A & M offer from WL, IS
4 McGovern offers of admission from WL
2 UIWSOM offers of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at SHSU

Share news when ya get it!
If you want to DM me your news, I'll post it anonymously
Good luck to all y'all on the WLs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Texas Roundup: April 18, 2022
****The Roundup passes through Ft. Worth!****

083ff2495bdde7251bacbc7c7b2815895e0a52a2aac63d67d227a17a9b403947.jpg

April 18, 2022
3 TCU offers of admission from WL

Did you know a cattle drive of 17 Longhorns is enacted twice a day in the Stockyard district by the Fort Worth Herd?

Last edited:
Texas Roundup: April 21, 2022

April 18, 2022

1 more TCU offer of admission from WL

April 20, 2022
Up for Grabs again:
1 spot relinquished at UTSW, IS (accepted an OOS school)
1 spot relinquished at UTRGV, IS (accepted an OOS school)

Last edited:
Texas Roundup: April 25, 2022

April 22-23, 2022

1 UTMB offer of admission from WL
1 A&M offer of admission from WL

April 25, 2022
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS

Last edited:
Texas Roundup: April 27, 2022

April 26, 2022

1 Dell offer of admission from WL, IS
1 A&M offer of admission from WL, to an MD/PhD applicant
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS, considering it -vs- Match school

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM, IS
1 spot relinquished at UTSW, IS, (accepted at OOS school)
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS, (accepted at OOS school)

Share your news if any! There isn't much going on yet, it's not just you!

Last edited:
Texas Roundup: April 27, 2022

April 26, 2022

1 Dell offer of admission from WL, IS
1 A&M offer of admission from WL, to an MD/PhD applicant
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS, considering it -vs- Match school

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM, IS
1 spot relinquished at UTSW, IS, (accepted at OOS school)

Share your news if any! There isn't much going on yet, it's not just you!
I gave up my acceptance at Sam Houston today, In-state applicant

Status
Not open for further replies.