The pathology residency QUESTION *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAD WAY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN people
I will ask your advice again ^^ for choosing pathology
I'm going to complete 1 year in cardiology residency in my home country in a good teaching hospital with all nice cardiology stuffs the cathlabs ,the EP folks , CTS people ...etc
Now I'm thinking to switch specialities and go for pathology ^thinking^
to be frank it's not NOW .I've been contemplating since couple of months and I've been through the same mental turmoil that i had been through before starting residency
I had read most of the threads about the same topic but the same idea still remains that choosing pathology is highly risky and you go for it because its the last chance and you can't fit anymote in any other speciality giving the scarce job opportunities after residency job insecurity low salaries
....and the list goes .
but I came to that bad feeling that Icant continue like a robot heartless robot and want to go for pathology knowing the risks and the hurdles through which i will go . and iknow that the grass onthe otherside isnt always brighter and all theses nonsense adage
bcz after reading so many posts and listening to people experiences online and in my work enviroment i find myself NOT in a decent situation in front of multiple choices
I met around 5 chairpersons in 5 different hospitals and everyone either laugh or discourage me honestly The last one I didnot even complete introducing myself before she interrupted me and said " if you can live with less than 100 $ a month which is average salary during residency unfortunately .then go " if not save your time and go for anyother choice than pathology "
all the conversations had to go through the same dialogue above
I feel now that choosing pathology needs a kamikaze spirit of some kind i don't know
I'm really really confused

Members don't see this ad.