*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, here's my "What are my chances" post. I'll make it strait to the point.

I'm a Wisconsin resident and plan on doing an early admit application to the University of Wisconsin, Madison:

MCAT: 31 :) (12PS, 9 VR, 10BS, writing = M)
G.P.A: 3.40 :( (3.45 Science GPA)

- Shadowed surgeons and urgent care docs for one summer
- Spent a summer doing research in Milwaukee
- Spent 250 hours volunteering in a hospital during High school, spent another ~100 hours during college
- Attending St. Norbert College (one of the Midwest's top 3 for private schools)
- Member of the honors program.
- President of the Pre-Health Sciences club
- Secretary of the Biology club
- Should have great LOR's, I'm a TA and close friend of two profs, also spent a semester in Indep. Study with one of them

My last ace in the whole is the fact that I have two brothers currently attending Madison. One is an M3 and one is an M2. Ironically, one of them is a permanent on the interview panel.

In short, my MCAT seems solid, but my GPA is appalling! Madison's average is a 32 MCAT and a 3.7 GPA. However I think that's an average that counts out of state applicants. Do you think I have a chance being in an honors program, and being an instate doing early admit?

I also have no idea how having siblings currently attending affects my chances. I suppose it would help a little, but enough to make up for having a GPA as low as mine?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Right, here's my "What are my chances" post. I'll make it strait to the point.

I'm a Wisconsin resident and plan on doing an early admit application to the University of Wisconsin, Madison:

MCAT: 31 :) (12PS, 9 VR, 10BS, writing = M)
G.P.A: 3.40 :( (3.45 Science GPA)

- Shadowed surgeons and urgent care docs for one summer
- Spent a summer doing research in Milwaukee
- Spent 250 hours volunteering in a hospital during High school, spent another ~100 hours during college
- Attending St. Norbert College (one of the Midwest's top 3 for private schools)
- Member of the honors program.
- President of the Pre-Health Sciences club
- Secretary of the Biology club
- Should have great LOR's, I'm a TA and close friend of two profs, also spent a semester in Indep. Study with one of them

My last ace in the whole is the fact that I have two brothers currently attending Madison. One is an M3 and one is an M2. Ironically, one of them is a permanent on the interview panel.

In short, my MCAT seems solid, but my GPA is appalling! Madison's average is a 32 MCAT and a 3.7 GPA. However I think that's an average that counts out of state applicants. Do you think I have a chance being in an honors program, and being an instate doing early admit?

I also have no idea how having siblings currently attending affects my chances. I suppose it would help a little, but enough to make up for having a GPA as low as mine?:confused:

You should approach the process as if you will make or break your chances based on how you fill out your application. Plan on nailing the personal statement, how you summarize your experiences, and any secondary essays/responses. This will help you to overcome the below average GPA. If you plan on that and do it, then your chances are good of at least getting an interview.

What do you think my chances are getting into medical school

MCAT: 10/8/10 O
GPA: 3.51 (science GPA 3.53)

President of honors psychology club 3 years
Undergraduate thesis proposal
1 year of health lab research (pretty much entering in data)
Coauthored on poster at southern eastern psychological association (SEPA)
Received $1,000 grant from SGA to attend SEPA
attended a conference entitled "towards a science on consciousness" twice volunteered at a hospital
(going to try to volunteer at a free clinic soon)
graduated with honors
completed honors thesis
received $1,000 to help set up the EEG machine at the psych. dept.
worked as a waiter/bartender through school (should I add this anyways?????)

I'm going to be applying to FL schools, but I'm just worried about my verbal score of an 8, and I'm not sure that I'm going to be standing out that much. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am losing hope...

I planned on entering the class for 2008 but due to a family emergency I wasn't able to apply until now. Since June of last year I haven't been able to volunteer because I have been taking care of my disabled grandmother who suffered a stroke and a seizure. I took the time off from volunteering and working to take a CNA class (now I am certified) to better my knowledge in helping my grandmother. Not to mention that I am the oldest of six siblings so I am always busy since my parents are both working full-time.

Volunteer:
1. After-school tutor for my elementary school (3 years)
2. Volunteered in Pediatric department, information desk, and ER department at a local hospital (2 years)
3. Girl's Basketball Assistant basketball coach for my elementary school (1 year)
4. Volunteered at Fleetwing Department at a local hospital (~ 2 years)
5. Volunteered as a Research Lab Assistant at a local hospital (~3 months)
- had to stop early because my grandmother needed me more than anything
6. Teaching intern at my college (1 semester)

Academics:
Bachelor of Arts major in Biology and a minor in Sociology
GPA 3.55
Science GPA 3.4

Planning to take my MCAT in May hoping to score 30+ (cross fingers)

Are my stats good enought for an allopathic school? I hope so because after being with my grandmother I've learned the value of patience, attentiveness, and communication. She made me want to become a doctor. I love her for helping me make a life long career.

I have a wierd situation and am trying to figure out what to do...

sci gpa= 3.6 from Washu in St. Louis
overall gpa= 3.7
nonsci gpa= 3.82
First MCAT= 28L= 12B, 11P, 5V, L (obviously a fluke test with the L and the 5)
Second MCAT=28O=8B, 10P, 10V, O (So i improved verbal and writing!...but bio went down...)

I have: 2 summers of research experience (neither published yet but both are expected to publish soon)
:am currently a clinical research assistant
:1 year plus of volunteering (enrolling patients) in an ER - still doing this
:1 month , 120 hours, volunteering in a NICU
:currently volunteering at a public health sort of places that sends nurses to at risk families with newborn babies
:good recommendations - from 2 research PIs, 2 academic teachers, etc

I am applying in June for MD schools.... How do you all feel about NOT retaking?? what are your thoughts on what I should do and what my chances are?

I have a wierd situation and am trying to figure out what to do...

sci gpa= 3.6 from Washu in St. Louis
overall gpa= 3.7
nonsci gpa= 3.82
First MCAT= 28L= 12B, 11P, 5V, L (obviously a fluke test with the L and the 5)
Second MCAT=28O=8B, 10P, 10V, O (So i improved verbal and writing!...but bio went down...)

I have: 2 summers of research experience (neither published yet but both are expected to publish soon)
:am currently a clinical research assistant
:1 year plus of volunteering (enrolling patients) in an ER - still doing this
:1 month , 120 hours, volunteering in a NICU
:currently volunteering at a public health sort of places that sends nurses to at risk families with newborn babies
:good recommendations - from 2 research PIs, 2 academic teachers, etc

I am applying in June for MD schools.... How do you all feel about NOT retaking?? what are your thoughts on what I should do and what my chances are?

Hmm... you know there are schools that take the best parts of your individual MCATs and form one master score. So if you had 12-11-5 and 8-10-10 you score for admission purposes would be 12-11-10, a solid 33. Your GPA is okay. It won't compensate for a lower MCAT but it certainly won't lower your admission chances if you have a solid MCAT. Add to this your stellar volunteering and work experience and you have a very strong resume. My advice? Find a school that takes the best part of each MCAT. I know Madison (Wisconsin) does this and I'm sure there are others as well.

I am losing hope...

I planned on entering the class for 2008 but due to a family emergency I wasn't able to apply until now. Since June of last year I haven't been able to volunteer because I have been taking care of my disabled grandmother who suffered a stroke and a seizure. I took the time off from volunteering and working to take a CNA class (now I am certified) to better my knowledge in helping my grandmother. Not to mention that I am the oldest of six siblings so I am always busy since my parents are both working full-time.

Volunteer:
1. After-school tutor for my elementary school (3 years)
2. Volunteered in Pediatric department, information desk, and ER department at a local hospital (2 years)
3. Girl's Basketball Assistant basketball coach for my elementary school (1 year)
4. Volunteered at Fleetwing Department at a local hospital (~ 2 years)
5. Volunteered as a Research Lab Assistant at a local hospital (~3 months)
- had to stop early because my grandmother needed me more than anything
6. Teaching intern at my college (1 semester)

Academics:
Bachelor of Arts major in Biology and a minor in Sociology
GPA 3.55
Science GPA 3.4

Planning to take my MCAT in May hoping to score 30+ (cross fingers)

Are my stats good enought for an allopathic school? I hope so because after being with my grandmother I've learned the value of patience, attentiveness, and communication. She made me want to become a doctor. I love her for helping me make a life long career.
Well it all really comes down to how you do on the MCAT. A good score (32ish) should compensate for your lower GPA. Nice work/volunteering experience though.

MCAT: 10/10/12 M
GPA: 3.70 (Science: 4.00)

B.S. Business & B.A. Chemistry - Minor in Bio
Magna Cum Laude
ECs:
National Service Fraternity (160 hrs)
1 Semester Organic Chem Tutoring
2 Pre-Health Alternative Spring Breaks (one was working a Free Clinic in MX, the other was to promote public health in the DR)
1 year Pharm Asst. with local free clinic (4hrs a month)
15 hrs shadowing with Sports Med. Doctor
Deans List past 5 semesters

Notes:
Graduating now
Spending the summer doing full-time Tuberculosis research
Brought my overall GPA from a 3.23 to a 3.70 in the past two years
No Hospital/Clinical volunteering (which needs to be remedied before applying)

Schools:
UNC
UVa
WVU
Pittsburg
Duke
WFU
ECU
Emory

I seem to be hitting the avg's to a lot of places; however, I figure to be a solid app I need to squeeze some clinical work in between now and my application. I talked to my pre-health advisor and was recommended not to get a health certificate (CNA/EMT) this late in the game as it may prove to be of little use if I do get in with the 2008-2009 cycle. Outside of that, I'm enjoying the challenges I'm facing and the people I'm meeting.

Concise WAMC post:

MCAT: 11/11/12 R
undergrad sci GPA: 2.5
undergrad cumulative: 3.0
GRE: 1480
Major: psych

EC's: Psych undergrad council, service fraternity, Jumpstart (an Americorps program), Tutoring, psych research, shadowing, some hosp. volunteer, SARS (sexual assault response services, not the disease) volunteer, Kaplan teacher

I'm doing more hosp. volunteering to bump up my clinical experience, and I'm looking at SMP's and post-bac programs in the NYC/Boston/NJ area to bring up GPA, I've taken two post-bac science courses and gotten A's in both (Advanced organic chem. and pathophysiology) which should bring up the science...a point maybe. Yay. The problem is that I've taken almost all of my pre-med requirements (except genetics) and though I need to bring up my undergrad sci. gpa, I'm not sure if a post-bac is the right direction.

Hi all,

I'd love some advice on my list of schools. There are two problems in my application:

1) low science gpa (3.22)
2) "almost" a permanent US resident (I'm officially a TX resident, and was assured by the TX residency office that I'd be considered like a US resident or citizen, but apparently there was some confusion about my official status, and it sounds like I'm in a bit of a gray area...
So basically, I can't count on TX as my safety schools - I learned this the hard way, and am currently re-applying. I'd love some feedback on the list of non-TX schools!

All the other parts of my application are fine, I think...

Here's the list of non-TX schools:
Baylor
Pittsburgh
U Virginia Charlotteville
Rochester
Indiana U - Indianapolis
Tufts
U Utah - Salt Lake City
Tulane
Loyola
Illinois
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin??
BU??

What do you guys think? I'd love any feedback!!

application stats:
biochemistry major
gpa 3.56, bcpm 3.22 from top20 school (got a lot of B's fresh. and soph year)
2007 MCAT 34 (10V,12B,12P), 2005 MCAT 28 (8V,10B,10P)
planning on taking classes at the school of public health starting this fall

research and clinical experience (in reverse chronological order):
been working as research technician for 2 years - 1 publiciation)
3 month internship in Japan at pediatric clinic, worked as a nurse of sorts
200+ volunteer hrs with epilepsy camps
60+ hrs shadowing at children's hospital
100+ hrs volunteering at local county hospital
3 month summer internship in business administration at children's hospital
3 summers of research experience throughout college

leadership experience:
started a-cappella group in college and led the group for 3+ years
worked throughout college as waitress, then manager at faculty club - was in charge of leading waitstaff at functions for over 200 people
chair of various committees throughout college

fun facts:
was born with cleft lip/palate - an anomaly that requires chronic treatment
grew up in Germany, English as a second language, also speak Spanish and Japanese
played club ultimate frisbee and club tennis in college

Hi all,

I'd love some advice on my list of schools. There are two problems in my application:

e

Never mind! I just got off the waitlist at Baylor!!! I couldn't be happier!

I'm 23 y/o and work at UCSF in developmental neurbiology (lab). I went to Wesleyan University where I was a neuroscience & behavior major (they don't have minors at Wesleyan, but it would have been studio art since I did everything to complete the major save the thesis). I have some unusual circumstances that I'm trying to figure out how to describe in my application essays....
I graduated undergrad in 3 years rather than 4. I attended freshman, sophmore, and senior year... my junior year I was on medical leave. (I had gone through a traumatic rape experience and needed time off... I think I came back too soon because my GPA dropped from 3.8 to a 3.45 by the end of my year back.)

So, my average GPA for undergrad: 3.45
my mcat score range will likely be around 33-38? Wide range, I know.

work experience:
Grant Coordinator - Affymetrix, Santa Clara, CA for part of my year off of school.
Scientific Communications Asst - Gilead, Foster City, CA 6/2006 - 6/2007
Staff Research Associate - UCSF 7/2007 - present.

I feel like I am lacking in clinical experience if only because I've been so focused on research (I was considering MD/PhD)... I've worked in labs since I was 12 (in the summers at Yale), through college and for the past year. I did get my EMT license my sophmore year of school, but the national registry EMT certification doesn't count for NY and CA, which were the states I moved to after I got certified :-( so I never got to use it for more than my original certification ride hours.

My family has a nonprofit foundation and a hospital in Iran, so I've spent years helping out with that. My sister and I had traveled through India to document how other nonprofit hospitals worked so we can get a better idea of how we could put ours together.

I've had widely personal experience with medicine -- my mom is a health wreck! Growing up I was very much her mom.... and it fostered a lot of my drive to take care of people. She is schizophrenic, has emphysema, hypothyroidism, diabetes, glaucoma, empty cella syndrome (her pituitary doesn't work), sleep apnea, blah blah blah. My dad is also an ophthalmologist and an awe inspiring humanitarian...

I am shooting for two schools at this point -- UCSF and Stanford, and I know they are tough shots. I just got married this past year, and my husband works in Palo Alto... at a job he loves. I'm just hoping to apply over and over again until UCSF lets me in -- but I have no idea how likely that will be at this point...

I'm 23 y/o and work at UCSF in developmental neurbiology (lab). I went to Wesleyan University where I was a neuroscience & behavior major (they don't have minors at Wesleyan, but it would have been studio art since I did everything to complete the major save the thesis). I have some unusual circumstances that I'm trying to figure out how to describe in my application essays....
I graduated undergrad in 3 years rather than 4. I attended freshman, sophmore, and senior year... my junior year I was on medical leave. (I had gone through a traumatic rape experience and needed time off... I think I came back too soon because my GPA dropped from 3.8 to a 3.45 by the end of my year back.)

So, my average GPA for undergrad: 3.45
my mcat score range will likely be around 33-38? Wide range, I know.

work experience:
Grant Coordinator - Affymetrix, Santa Clara, CA for part of my year off of school.
Scientific Communications Asst - Gilead, Foster City, CA 6/2006 - 6/2007
Staff Research Associate - UCSF 7/2007 - present.

I feel like I am lacking in clinical experience if only because I've been so focused on research (I was considering MD/PhD)... I've worked in labs since I was 12 (in the summers at Yale), through college and for the past year. I did get my EMT license my sophmore year of school, but the national registry EMT certification doesn't count for NY and CA, which were the states I moved to after I got certified :-( so I never got to use it for more than my original certification ride hours.

My family has a nonprofit foundation and a hospital in Iran, so I've spent years helping out with that. My sister and I had traveled through India to document how other nonprofit hospitals worked so we can get a better idea of how we could put ours together.

I've had widely personal experience with medicine -- my mom is a health wreck! Growing up I was very much her mom.... and it fostered a lot of my drive to take care of people. She is schizophrenic, has emphysema, hypothyroidism, diabetes, glaucoma, empty cella syndrome (her pituitary doesn't work), sleep apnea, blah blah blah. My dad is also an ophthalmologist and an awe inspiring humanitarian...

I am shooting for two schools at this point -- UCSF and Stanford, and I know they are tough shots. I just got married this past year, and my husband works in Palo Alto... at a job he loves. I'm just hoping to apply over and over again until UCSF lets me in -- but I have no idea how likely that will be at this point...

The GPA might hurt you, but otherwise you seem to have a relatively solid application put together. All of your experiences should make for a compelling personal statement, and your research might just give you the leg up for Stanford (they <3 research). The clinical is a little bit lacking, so maybe shadow a doctor over the summer?

Of course, even if you had a perfect application (4.00, 45T, saving pygmy children in africa from malaria...) applying to only two schools would be a crapshoot of a crapshoot, so good luck! :)

Heh, I've been searching everywhere for where I posted this! Now I've found it! ^.^ That's what I get for posting so late......
I mean, I'd probably apply to other schools (because it is AAMC, after all.. it doesn't take all that much more time), but I barely see the point if it doesn't seem realistic to go there. My husband has found a job for the first time in 7 years that makes him feel professionally challenged and fulfilled... and I don't want to take that away! They're building a genetic sequencing machine (soooo cool!)... that will blow everyone away.
But oh, the crapshootiness....

Can you guys tell me what you think my chances are and also most importantly, do you think I made the right choice for schools? Which ones should I add or which ones should I take out?

Thank you so much!!

Ethnicity: East Asian-American
Home State: WI

Undergraduate Institution: University of Wisconsin, Madison
Area of Study:Biological/Life Sciences

Other Institution: Zoology
Area of Study: Biological/Life Sciences
Degree Obtained: BA

Other Institution: Economics
Area of Study: Psychology/Social Sciences
Degree Obtained: BA

Application Year: 2009
MCAT Score: VR 9, PS 9, BS 11, N
BCPM GPA: 3.56
Non-Science: 3.83
Overall GPA: 3.68

Brief Profile:
Type: Community Service/Volunteer&#8212;Medical/Clinical
Dates: 9/2005 &#8211; 12/2007
Organization Name: University of Wisconsin Hospital, Madison
Average Hours per Week: 3

Dates: 9/2006 &#8211; 6/2007
Organization Name: Meriter Retirement Center
Average Hours per Week: 2.5

Type: Other
Dates: 4/2007 &#8211; 5/2007
Organization Name: University of Wisconsin Hospital, Madison
Average Hours per Week: 2

Type: Research/Lab
Dates: 8/2006 &#8211; 5/2007
Organization Name: University of Wisconsin, Madison Department of Zoology Lab
Average Hours per Week: 13

Dates: 1/2006 &#8211; 6/2006
Organization Name: Office of the Governor Jim Doyle
Average Hours per Week: 10

Dates: 2/2008 &#8211; 6/2008
Organization Name: Australian Rotary Health Research Fund
Average Hours per Week: 20

Dates: 6/2005 &#8211; 6/2006
Organization Name: Entrepreneur
Average Hours per Week: Started my own electronic and clothing import business

Type: Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations
Dates: 1/1990 &#8211; 5/2007
Organization Name: Orchestra
Average Hours per Week: Started playing violin since I was 4 years old and successfully auditioned into the UW Symphony Orchestra

Type: Leadership&#8212;Not Listed Elsewhere
Dates: 8/2005 &#8211; Current
Organization Name: Multicultural Student Council
Average Hours per Week: 2

Dates: 1/2005 &#8211; Current
Organization Name: Korean American Student Association (Vice President)
Average Hours per Week: Weekly hour board meetings as well as monthly board member meetings and all the activities that it organizes

Dates: 1/2007 &#8211; Current
Organization Name: Alpha Chi Sigma (Brother)
Average Hours per Week: Weekly hour meetings as well as all the activities that it organizes

Dates: 8/2004 &#8211; 5/2006
Organization Name: Health Professions Society (Public Relations Coordinator)
Average Hours per Week: Weekly hour board meetings as well as monthly board member meetings and all the activities that it organizes

Dates: 1/2000 &#8211; Current
Organization Name: Athletics
Average Hours per Week: 5

Dates: 2/2008 &#8211; 6/6008
Organization Name: Ryde Hospital and Community Health Services
Average Hours per Week: 4

Hi all,

I just wanted to know which schools I should apply to based on my numbers. I need to pass that initial screening and have the schools read my personal statement to feel who I really am. Thanks for any advice!!

23, female, asian, CA resident, BS in neuro & physio from UCSD
MCAT: 10V 10B 7P M
bio GPA: 3.01
overall: 3.17
non science: 3.42

I also plan to apply as disadvantaged. Please let me know if you need more information to figure out where I stand. And yes, I plan to apply to DO schools as well.

THANKS! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.