*** The OFFICIAL USMC-TO-DOC thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump for the Jarheads!

Members don't see this ad.

To whom it may concern,

My name is jeromi. I just recently got out of the marine corps i was an 0311/8152 MCSFCO bangor, wa. I am currently enrolled at the University of Toledo. The one thing is im enrolled for online courses towards my BS in criminal justice. Like alot of infantry marines i got out thinking oh crap all I will be good at is being a police officer. I dont want that for my life. I really want to go to medical school. Yes I am married that's why I am enrolled in online classes. I have read alot of stuff including the Princeton Review which stats that you dont need your degree in the science field and that medical schools actually like to see students with a degree or wide spread backround so to speak. I wasn't sure if that is true or not, and also I just wanted to see someone's input on wether I could ever get into medical school. Also im only 22 about to be 23 so I know im still young. by the time i get into med school it will still be at least 2 more years, cause i have to finish my degree. If anyone can help please let me know.

Semper Fidelis
Jeromi

To whom it may concern,

My name is jeromi. I just recently got out of the marine corps i was an 0311/8152 MCSFCO bangor, wa. I am currently enrolled at the University of Toledo. The one thing is im enrolled for online courses towards my BS in criminal justice. Like alot of infantry marines i got out thinking oh crap all I will be good at is being a police officer. I dont want that for my life. I really want to go to medical school. Yes I am married that's why I am enrolled in online classes. I have read alot of stuff including the Princeton Review which stats that you dont need your degree in the science field and that medical schools actually like to see students with a degree or wide spread backround so to speak. I wasn't sure if that is true or not, and also I just wanted to see someone's input on wether I could ever get into medical school. Also im only 22 about to be 23 so I know im still young. by the time i get into med school it will still be at least 2 more years, cause i have to finish my degree. If anyone can help please let me know.

Semper Fidelis
Jeromi

Congrats Marine. You don't have to have a science degree, but you do have to do the required courses for medical school. Basically 1 year of Gen chem, organic chem, physics, and biology. Need to take the MCAT...its a sweet test. There is a ton of info on these boards to guide you, and a lot of fellow Marines looking out for one another which you can ask. The only input you neeed to decide whether you can do medical school is yourself man, if you want it bad enough you will get it. Don't limit yourself, just take the bull by the horns! I would go talk to an advisor and look into taking the pre-requisites at a college, and go from there. Goodluck brother, and Semper Fi

Members don't see this ad :)
To whom it may concern,

Semper Fidelis
Jeromi

You have a tough road ahead. First of all, your Criminal Justice degree will get you no respect in the medical school application process. Neither will your online courses. You need to suck it up and get a traditional Bachelors Degree.

As to whether you can get in, sure you can. But it is the college degree in a rigorous major with all the usual prerequisites that will prepare you intellectually to go from being a dumb grunt to a sharp physician. If you try to shortcut the process you will probably fail. You need to make the commitment.

Email me if you have any specific questions. And check out my blog which is still up even though I have quit blogging.

Sincerely,

Panda Bear, MD (Former Sergeant, USMC, O331 and former dumb grunt.)

Congrats Marine. You don't have to have a science degree, but you do have to do the required courses for medical school. Basically 1 year of Gen chem, organic chem, physics, and biology. Need to take the MCAT...its a sweet test. There is a ton of info on these boards to guide you, and a lot of fellow Marines looking out for one another which you can ask. The only input you neeed to decide whether you can do medical school is yourself man, if you want it bad enough you will get it. Don't limit yourself, just take the bull by the horns! I would go talk to an advisor and look into taking the pre-requisites at a college, and go from there. Goodluck brother, and Semper Fi

I agree. But the key is that the Marine has to take the initiative. He does not have an easy task ahead. On the other hand, he's only 22 so he really is only four years behind most other prospective pre-meds (but lightyears ahead in maturity and leadership) so he should consider using his MGIB (which I hope the mother****er signed up for) to get a real college degree.

I agree that it doesn't need to be in the hard sciences but it should be in something rigorous like History or Economics. On the other hand he shouldn't necessarily be selling himself short either. Why couldn't he get an engineering degree, for example? We're Marines, we're not stupid.

I've been a long time lurker at SDN, but I saw this post and decided it was time...

I was a computer nerd in the Corps, originally 4066, now they call it 06xx I believe. I was stationed at Camp Pen for 4 years, and I pumped on West Pac twice with the 15th MEU Command Element. I spent about 30 days in Afghanistan on the JTFE (field satellite / telephone / comms) starting in the opening hours of the war. After the Corps I worked as a network engineer for Lockheed Martin for 3 years. I never cared for computers, it was always something I was good at and it paid the bills. During this time my wife completed her degree and is now a practicing dental hygienist.

Once my wife became financially stable, I decided it was time to retire my keyboard for something more interesting. Before I joined the Corps I had aspirations of becoming a doctor, but honestly I lacked the initiative and the dedication to see it through. Two years ago I started a micro/molecular biology degree courtesy of the MGI bill at my local community college. I'm transferring to Portland State University this coming fall. I've completed all of my general education requirements as well as the pre-medical science requirements. My MCAT is scheduled for July 8th at 8:00am.

Semper Fi!

I'm transferring to Portland State University this coming fall. I've completed all of my general education requirements as well as the pre-medical science requirements. My MCAT is scheduled for July 8th at 8:00am.

Welcome, we were in during the same time and have the same MOS. We might have even gone to school together (I was 5-00 at 29 stumps). Congrats on figuring out what you'd like to do but I have to wonder ... why are you taking the MCAT now?

The score is only valid for 3 years for most schools and it sounds like you still have some coursework ahead of you. Are you sure you're not taking it too early? Of course, disregard if you've already considered this; I just want to make sure that you've given the issue some thought.

Make sure you're killing the practice tests (under timed conditions) before you go into it if you're not already. Definitely don't be afraid to postpone to allow for more study time. I found the MCAT to be rather difficult even after consistently doing well on the practice tests.

Semper Fi!

I was at 29 Palms from May-July of 1999 if I recall correctly.

I'm taking the MCAT now rather than later because I've finished all of the basic sciences which are tested on the MCAT. I'd rather get it done and out of the way this summer so I can focus on my major as well as applications next year.

I was at 29 Palms from May-July of 1999
I got there in November of 99 so I guess I missed you by a bit. Good luck on the MCAT and your application! Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.

Welcome guys! Glad to have y'all aboard. Let me know if I can answer any questions. We have Marines here from premed --> residents. So someone ought to know the answer.

Cheers!

Cpl P.D (USMC former)

Boot Camp - West Coast - Plt. 1011 Jan - April 1989 (yes, I remember it like it was yesterday)

Schools: MOS: 1833 (Amtrac'r YAT YAS) Del Mar/Ocean Side May - August 1989

B Co. 1st, 2nd AAV BN 2nd Mar Div Court House Bay
1989 - 1991 (attached to 6th Marines for Desert Shield/Storm)

B Co, 2nd AAV BN - The rock 1991 -1992

D Co, 2nd AAV Feb. 1992 - Jan 1993

Started undergrad 2 days after discharge finished undergrad and law school in 6.5 years. Now Practicing Lawyer, looking to change to Doc.

I could not have done what I have done without my Corps Experience, I always work harder and smarter than the other guy - SURRENDER IS NOT IN MY CREED.

This thread is motivating!

Parris Island, Oct 2003
2822 - Electronic Switching Equipment Technician
1 Year in 29 Palms
2 Years in Okinawa
2 Years at Miramar

I've spent the last two years deciding what I want to do with the rest of my life, as I've always been a bit of an intellectual and I don't feel like the Marine Corps is helping me fulfill my potential any longer.

I dropped out of college before joining with an impressive GPA of about 1.8, but so far in the night classes I've been taking (english comp/college algebra/general biology) I have a 4.0. I'll be starting school towards a B.S. in Biochem in September, looking at graduating in 3 years and applying for medical school after the second. If I get a solid 4.0 I'll only be able to raise my cumulative up to about 3.6, but I probably shouldn't count on that. Will that cause problems or will most schools see that the poor grades are far behind me?

I'm planning on applying for the combined MD/PhD programs, when it comes to that. Any of you guys have any advice?

Well you just tell anyone who questions you about your life before the Corps, that back then you were just a little puke, but the Corps changed your life and your now a hard charging, hardworking, no-sleeping, getting the job done right the first time, Devil Freakin Dog, and that your record post active duty shows it. If they ask you about night school, you just tell them Marines fight better at night.

Any Marine can become a med student, but not every med student can become a Marine.

Semper Fi

PD
Cpl, USMC Former
89 - 93

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CPL Landry reporting for duty!
I just found this thread after over two years on the threads. My Bio:

MCRD SD 7/97 Golf 2123
SOI 10/97
2/4 WPNS CO HMG PLT 1/98-7/01
31st MEU SOC 97-98 and 00-01 with the BLT
Metro State 01-07 Bio Major Chem minor
RVUCOM inagural Class 2012

Is there still a myspace group? if so can someone please lead me to it. My myspace is www.myspace.com/libolandry

Libo for everyone!!!

I was with the 31st MEU with you.

I was with 3rd Recon's Direct Action Platoon.

LMAO

Small world

LMAO

Small world
I was with the 31st MEU when it re-started back in 92. :laugh:

I maintain that it has the best unit patch of anyone in the Corps. :thumbup:

I was with the 31st MEU when it re-started back in 92.

We called it the "thirty-worst" MEU when I was in OKI. A life-long reputation based on just a few f***kups from years ago ... much in the same vein as 7th crime division. I honestly felt sorry for anyone attached to either of those. They put up with the most restrictions at the most restricted place in the Marines. When I was there they made people who got caught with untucked shirts spend their weekends outside of the PX in uniform catching others with untucked shirts. They had it all: libo cards, alcohol prohibitions, and cinderella curfews were just the beginning. I had it pretty easy with base; sure we had longer workdays, but at least we could go to the gym or PX without signing out of a book with a buddy to leave the barracks.

I've always thought 3rd Recon's patch was the best btw.

We called it the "thirty-worst" MEU when I was in OKI. A life-long reputation based on just a few f***kups from years ago ... much in the same vein as 7th crime division. I honestly felt sorry for anyone attached to either of those. They put up with the most restrictions at the most restricted place in the Marines. When I was there they made people who got caught with untucked shirts spend their weekends outside of the PX in uniform catching others with untucked shirts. They had it all: libo cards, alcohol prohibitions, and cinderella curfews were just the beginning. I had it pretty easy with base; sure we had longer workdays, but at least we could go to the gym or PX without signing out of a book with a buddy to leave the barracks.

Yeah, I was in Oki at Base as well, and many of my friends were with 7th Comm. I remember one kid getting NJP'd the week after getting promoted to Cpl for signing out with his LCpl friend of almost two years.

Wow, lots of activity on here...glad to see it.

Welcome to all the new guys...just wanted to reassure you that your education and experience at the University of Science, Music and Culture will serve you well in every aspect of the medical school application process, cramming for multiple system-based exams once admitted, board exams and long hours on a neurosurgery service. I haven't done any q3d call yet though, so I can't say for sure if it will come in handy there, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that it will. Panda can speak to this point as he's done not one, but TWO internships...

Good luck with the upcoming interviews and please PM the salts with specific questions or feel free to run with the big dawgs and share with the group.

Update: I'm in Fresno now, just started my psych residency...living out of a hotel for the past 2 weeks with my wife, three children and dog as we patiently wait for our rental to become available on July 1. While I still have to move all of my stuff from storage and unpack, I'm quite happy with the way everything worked out.

Additionally, I just thought I'd add that I was going to do EM or Ortho when I started....but really enjoyed the crazy-ass stuff I saw in PSYCH, so my words of advice...set some goals, but keep an open mind. Semper Gumby.

And always remember this.....

Marines die, that's what we're here for...but the Marine Corps lives forever, and that means YOU live forever...

STAY MOTIVATED RECRUITS...Yut Yut!

JMC

Corporal of Marines, Retired
0311/8152
1993-1997

Add me as your friend at www.myspace.com/psychopharmalicious and let me know how you're doing.

I was at Camp Schwabb in 1985-1986. It was still kind of old-school back then. We had liberty cards, strict requirements for civilian attire, and the whole nine yards but that was considered normal and customary back then so nobody really complained.

I also remember that for a few months (before they started pushing direct deposit) the paymaster came every two weeks and we could get paid in cash.

LMAO

Small world

It is funny how many former 31st MEU Marines we have here, myself included:

Parris Island 95'
4641 (combat photographer)
MCAS Yuma 96' - 97'
31st MEU Command Element 97' - 99'

Currently an MSII at SUNY Downstate

If you were with the MEU then, you will probably remember the Lieutenant that I worked for as she was very popular eye candy for every Marine and Sailor on the Belleau Wood.

A funny story. In 1998 during operation Desert Fox in Kuwait I was attached to the BLT and I was in the CP trying to get a ride back to the rear to send my photos out. I chatted with a Marine in the CP, I think that he was a radio operator. He told me how he planned on going to college then medical school when he finished his enlistment. I was very impressed, because as another Marine said on this thread, most of us wind up becoming cops.

Medicine was the furthest thing from my mind then, but as fate would have it here I am.

And I do remember the plaque in the 31st MEU CE at Camp Hansen that listed all the "Plank Owners" when the unit was reformed in 92'

Semper Fi

Current Active duty CPL. out of Camp Lejeune

Mar-June 06 Parris Island "K" Co.
July-Oct 06 29 Stumps-Comm
Dec 06-Feb 08 RCT 6- Fallujah-Security PLT.
Mar-Jul 08 II MHG- TT cell
Jul 08-Jul 09 *Insert multiple locations* Iraq 7 IAD MTT
EAS 2010

Just trying to get my foot in the door.:thumbup:

I've ultimatly Decided that the medical feild is what I want to do with my life after the corps. I understand that the GI bill has been updated and Im looking into what has changed. I've tried mulitple times to go and talk to my education officer, But it seems every time I have free time to do so, there is more meaningless work for me to complete. That or my chain of command would rather have me talk to the career retention officer.

My question is: How hard is it to get into some sort of medical program/school? Are there any exams or classes I would need to take before hand? Im currently enrolling myself in online classes through the Phoniex academy. So I can complete what classes I need to do during my tour. Other than the basic's im not sure what else other classes I would need to take. I would like to go the Physicians Assistant route or working with children.

I would like to find a school in the New England area but Im not sure what schools my GI will work with. Or the fact that if im recalled to active duty that the school will keep a slot open for me to return to once my time is complete.

I appreciate any replys and information! Semper Fi!:thumbup:

EAS 2010

I've ultimatly Decided that the medical feild is what I want to do with my life after the corps. I understand that the GI bill has been updated and Im looking into what has changed. I've tried mulitple times to go and talk to my education officer, But it seems every time I have free time to do so, there is more meaningless work for me to complete. That or my chain of command would rather have me talk to the career retention officer.

My question is: How hard is it to get into some sort of medical program/school? Are there any exams or classes I would need to take before hand? Im currently enrolling myself in online classes through the Phoniex academy. So I can complete what classes I need to do during my tour. Other than the basic's im not sure what else other classes I would need to take. I would like to go the Physicians Assistant route or working with children.

I would like to find a school in the New England area but Im not sure what schools my GI will work with. Or the fact that if im recalled to active duty that the school will keep a slot open for me to return to once my time is complete.

Welcome Marine!

I'm not really sure about the PA route, but I assume the pre-requesites are close or if not the same for medical school. What I would do is contact the school that you think you are going to go to when you EAS and make sure that the online classes that you are taking will transfer to that school. Next just find out what classes you need by searching around, or looking up the schools site and go to the admissions part/future students. Be greatfull that you found this site when you did, there is a lot of good info here and of course fellow Marines looking out for one another, but there is alot of bull**** on this site too. Keep pressing on man, and enjoy your time in the Corps!

EAS 2010

Any medical school is going to laugh at your university of phoenix credits. So will most four year universities. Find out where you're going to finish your undergraduate degree at, and then make sure you're not wasting your time and TA.

Don't worry about getting recalled. It probably won't happen, but if it does there isn't anything you can do about it at this point. What I would do is find a community college in your area (I was never stationed in LJ, so I don't know of any) and knock out your general education in the evenings. College Algebra/Freshman English/Critical Thinking/Etc. Decide where you want your undergraduate degree from, then start taking classes that will translate into their degree. For example, your future university might require college algebra to transfer, but your degree only requires calculus. If you can find a school that allows you to take calculus without algebra (i.e. scoring well on placement test), you're killing two birds with one stone.

Edit: Also. I'm not well versed in PA programs, but I think they generally accept people already practicing in health care. i.e. nurses, EMTs, etc. If you do an undergraduate degree along those lines and get a part time job in the same field, you'll find it much easier to get accepted.

Just back from 9th realm of hell. Dante and I are now friends. I was accepted to pod school more than a year ago but I was called back to serve. After my year of love in the desert, and slowly approaching the big 3-0 mark I feel like I owe myself and my family the dignity of a great career with reasonable hours, so, I am applying for AA schools instead of med or pod schools. I hope to start in June 09.

Any OCS and TBS leathernecks? Anyone with train tracks or higher on their shoulder?

Glad to see and read marines on this post. And the corpsmen...yall are aight. I have two cousins who were navy airplane drivers that are on this forum and I constnatly nag them about the "ladies" department of the navy.

About getting recalled.......I was out a year and a half and got recalled a few months after 9-11. I wasn't really mad about getting recalled because the terrorists attacks really hit home, but it was at an inconvenient time! I was a full time student, had my own place, working full time....yea 12 days notice to be back in North Carolina. It was such a cluster f@ck. I get down to NC, and they had us sleeping in these huts on cots, no heat while the base lodging was vacant, go figure. The next morning it was 22 degrees.....standing in formation this staff sergeant tells us we have to do a PFT. The Marine Corps never changes, whatever no big deal for me, but a few of the guys that got recalled were pushing 300lbs. They initially told us we would be activated for a year. A few months went by and they told us we were going to stay for two years and we were getting deployed to Kuwait for the initial invasion of Iraq. Roughly 6 weeks before Kuwait, they said that they no longer need us. I honestly think that they did not want to keep paying us over a 1000. a month per diem on top of a few other things any longer, especially tax free.

Anyways, getting recalled does happen!

Last edited:
Wow BP, that sucks. That would really irritate me. Not just getting recalled, but the sheer uselessness of it.

They had us working night and day shifts, 4am until 6pm usually, and 4pm to 6am...my favorite. The hours were long but we worked two on two off had every other weekend off, so it was not too bad. It was the only time in my life I fell asleep standing up. We would get off work, go to the gym, shower, eat press camies, polish boots, and then try to get in bed to get a few. Ephedra was our friend, we would take 150mg roughly a day, If we only knew how dangerous that was.

You newer Marines don't even polish your boots right?

That's right. They still take a little bit of care to make them look nice, but many people don't bother and I haven't been in a unit yet where anyone really places emphasis on it. The new cammies are like pajamas compared to the old ones, too.

How times have changed. I remember when we would soak our cammies in buckets full of scalding hot water, with starch and elmers glue mixed in. You could literally have your pants stand on their own. We also used to take fishing line and run it down our creases, then melt it so we would have permananet creases. Looked great in uniform, but so uncomfortable.

I will never forget those times as long as I live.

How times have changed. I remember when we would soak our cammies in buckets full of scalding hot water, with starch and elmers glue mixed in. You could literally have your pants stand on their own. We also used to take fishing line and run it down our creases, then melt it so we would have permananet creases. Looked great in uniform, but so uncomfortable.

I used to pay the mamasans to do it in Oki: five bucks a set. They can do some magic to cotton. Uncomfortable as hell in that heat and humidity. A buddy of mine caught me by surprise and threw his cover at me one day as I was walking around a corner ... it broke my f**king glasses right in half and gave me a bloody nose. I had to wear my BCGs for a week until I could get my normal glasses fixed.

I did a change of command in camis for the base general once under black flag conditions where almost 20 people (out of roughly 250) fell out from heat exhaustion. Who knows how many of them would have made it if not for their non-breathable, sharp looking uniforms.

ahh, good times indeed.

How about the ****ing gas chamber in the old charcol NBC suits. We once had to do it when there was a 115 degree heat index, I wish I had picturs of us coming out and unsuiting.

They had us working night and day shifts, 4am until 6pm usually, and 4pm to 6am...my favorite. The hours were long but we worked two on two off had every other weekend off, so it was not too bad. It was the only time in my life I fell asleep standing up. We would get off work, go to the gym, shower, eat press camies, polish boots, and then try to get in bed to get a few. Ephedra was our friend, we would take 150mg roughly a day, If we only knew how dangerous that was.

You newer Marines don't even polish your boots right?
I am *so* glad that I never signed that reserve contract after my IRR committment was up. I was actually talking to the Navy officer recruiter right before 9/11 about signing up, as a reserve Intel Officer. I told him that I'd see how my first semester of grad school (Aug-Dec 2001) went and then I'd be back. Of course, all the O intel friends that I had at the time, who were out and living their lives were recalled after the attack...

That's right. They still take a little bit of care to make them look nice, but many people don't bother and I haven't been in a unit yet where anyone really places emphasis on it. The new cammies are like pajamas compared to the old ones, too.
Jeez. You know, there is a whole generation of SNCOs who probably had an aneurysm when it was announced that there would be no more polishing of boots. :laugh:

Yep, yep. And "holla" to the Oki mamasans. :thumbup: I personally think that they used floor wax (for the buffers) to stiffen them up. I noticed that my cammies would only last about a year and then the collars would literally begin falling apart.

Good times, good times.

I was recalled from IRR, I did not go into the reserves after EAS.

When I went back I was in the PX one day and I saw my senior drill instructor, holding a case of beer and a fifth of wild turkey haha. I walked up to him and asked to make sure, and he totally remebered me. He goes why the **** are you still a corporal, I told him what happened about getting recalled and what not. I was way over the score for sergant, and they still would not promote me because I did not have a valid rifle score, go figure.

Last edited:
No more polishing Boots? are you for real, what do they issue Thongs and maid uniforms in Boot camp too?

I wanted to re-up in 92 before my EAS, but the only option was to go to supply, and there was no way I was going from Tracs to supply

I think there are plenty of ways to teach new Marines attention to detail without making them put floor polish in their cammies. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the Marine Corps had an injection of common sense when they switched to the new boots and cammies.

The one change I don't like is hazing. Being able to make someone fill sand bags or w/e was a very useful leadership tool. A few people took it to extremes, and now the only tool we have is paperwork. Since nobody wants to give anyone a page 11, our hands are often tied when we have a junior Marine who doesn't learn very fast. As a result there's a lot of relatively undisciplined Marines these days.

I think there are plenty of ways to teach new Marines attention to detail without making them put floor polish in their cammies. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the Marine Corps had an injection of common sense when they switched to the new boots and cammies.

The one change I don't like is hazing. Being able to make someone fill sand bags or w/e was a very useful leadership tool. A few people took it to extremes, and now the only tool we have is paperwork. Since nobody wants to give anyone a page 11, our hands are often tied when we have a junior Marine who doesn't learn very fast. As a result there's a lot of relatively undisciplined Marines these days.
Totally agree on the cammies, and the thrashing. When I got called back in 2002 I had a young PFC from another platoon put in mine because he was a trouble maker/ belligerent. I caught his ass sleeping in the fetal position while he was on post, I woke him up and asked him sweat or paperwork. When we showed up in the morning to turn in weapons he was soaking wet and covered in dirt, out top was like WTF. I told him that I was showing him some grappling moves, he warned me that they are hanging people out to dry for that **** now. That Marine turned out to be a really great guy, he just needed some old school negative re-enforcement.

Unfortunately there are many undisciplined Marines now because of the new orders they have.

Totally agree on the cammies, and the thrashing. When I got called back in 2002 I had a young PFC from another platoon put in mine because he was a trouble maker/ belligerent. I caught his ass sleeping in the fetal position while he was on post, I woke him up and asked him sweat or paperwork. When we showed up in the morning to turn in weapons he was soaking wet and covered in dirt, out top was like WTF. I told him that I was showing him some grappling moves, he warned me that they are hanging people out to dry for that **** now. That Marine turned out to be a really great guy, he just needed some old school negative re-enforcement.

Unfortunately there are many undisciplined Marines now because of the new orders they have.

That reminds me of a story a friend of mine recently returned from Iraq told me. Two PFCs from his unit got caught playing video games on their PSPs while on post in the middle of the night, with headphones in. By the CO and SgtMaj. Needless to say, they got hung out to dry big-time

Wow, I've been searching through the SDN for a while, didn't even think to look for other Marines. Semper Fi! So I was wondering, for those who have already applied/interviewed/been accepted, did serving in the corps help your chances? By the way, I was a 6176, V-22 Osprey Crew chief, new river air station, nc, for five yrs, got out just over a year ago.

Wow, I've been searching through the SDN for a while, didn't even think to look for other Marines. Semper Fi! So I was wondering, for those who have already applied/interviewed/been accepted, did serving in the corps help your chances? By the way, I was a 6176, V-22 Osprey Crew chief, new river air station, nc, for five yrs, got out just over a year ago.

Welcome Marine!

I am in the process of applying, I think being in the Marine Corps will help little.....it's a little better than the meals on wheels volunteering.

I was at New River myself, the last time I was there was 2002.

Unfortunately there are a lot of sh*tbirds in the Corps now. I heard recently that they are hanging NCOs out to dry for "hazing" and that leaves NJP as the only resort. I used to "haze" my Marines by making them all run at 5am with me every day. You can get away with a lot of stuff as long as you are participating in the event. That's why you make sure you're in better shape than the rest and you can still get the job done.

Unfortunately there are a lot of sh*tbirds in the Corps now. I heard recently that they are hanging NCOs out to dry for "hazing" and that leaves NJP as the only resort. I used to "haze" my Marines by making them all run at 5am with me every day. You can get away with a lot of stuff as long as you are participating in the event. That's why you make sure you're in better shape than the rest and you can still get the job done.

I assure you that we had ****-birds galore back in the early eighties, early nineties. There was no "Golden Age" when things were perfect. I'd venture to say that Marines today are a lot better trained in the important things than we were way back in 1983 when I enlisted.

I was in the infantry (Kilo 3/8) and even back then we didn't haze our Marines but instead relied on leadership and (occasionally) the judicial process. You cannot make a ****-bird dig holes or take him out back and beat him. ****-birds are first and foremost barracks lawyers so to abuse this kind of guy is to put your own career in jeopardy.

All of my dirtbags are perpetually on light/limited duty, so the only people I can "haze" at 5am on a long run in the hills are the ones I like.

I assure you that we had ****-birds galore back in the early eighties, early nineties.
There has always been that 10% for sure. I'm really commenting on the overall level of discipline which I think has gone to hell. I used the term "hazing" in quotations to refer to practices which are often called hazing (such as organized PT, loss of liberty, etc.) but are really not. Making someone dance around in their skivvies or dig holes for your enjoyment is hazing, but I never found such blunt methods to be effective anyway. The issue to which I am referring is that of NCOs being disciplined or counseled for using organized PT or working parties as a disciplinary tool. Ultimately this leads NCOs to non-recommendation and NJP as their only remedial actions.

There has always been that 10% for sure. I'm really commenting on the overall level of discipline which I think has gone to hell. I used the term "hazing" in quotations to refer to practices which are often called hazing (such as organized PT, loss of liberty, etc.) but are really not. Making someone dance around in their skivvies or dig holes for your enjoyment is hazing, but I never found such blunt methods to be effective anyway. The issue to which I am referring is that of NCOs being disciplined or counseled for using organized PT or working parties as a disciplinary tool. Ultimately this leads NCOs to non-recommendation and NJP as their only remedial actions.

Of course, as I enlisted 25 years years ago and was discharged in 1991 I have no real basis for comparrison but if it's any consolation, we used to say the same thing back when I was a brand-new NCO.

Just after I enlisted the random drug testing had almost completely weeded out the last of the post-Viet Nam era **** bags and I understand that in the late seventies we really had some discipline problems (but never as bad as in the Army and the Navy of that era). I mention this just for perspective. Surely the Marine Corps of today, as it is loaded with combat veterans, can dispense with a little of the boot polishing and all of the other stuff. I used to keep my boots polished and my hair cut to regulation but I wasn't exactly nuts about lining up socks and I never devoted hours to putting a mirror finish on my boots. It just seemed silly.

I also think that you guys enlisting today are different than we were back then. We had no computers, no internet, rudimentary video games and a much different cultural background, probably as different to yours today as ours was different from those few Korean War veterans who were still in when I enlisted.

I mean, I think a good Marine has to be squared-away but it can get ridiculous. We all don't have to be "8th and I."

It's already been 10 years since I enlisted...wth!

It seems like it took you guys a few years after you separated to decide you wanted to do Medicine? What did you all do in the meantime?